2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. rumpel

rumpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He found his motorcycle few meters down the river, he started bike and drove about 2km then bike "died". After this situation organizer canceled the stage.
    K_N_Fodder and sick_boy like this.
  2. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your rest day, I'm going riding!
  3. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A tad far to lug the PC & stuff (my refrigerators and cupboards, specifically) but thanks ever so for the offer! :photog

PM (/Conversation! :becca) coming.
  4. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Has RG in the Gordini missed his window for success?

Is the Gordini now 'Low-tech' compared to the 2008 DKR16 and no longer competitive?
    The race is not over and the DKR's will be tested in the sand I'm sure, but it will be interesting to see whether the minis and Toyotas car match them for speed and reliability.

Not knowing exact years/results, the recent winning manufacturers sorta go in cycles - Peugeot, Citroen, Mitsubishi, VW, BMW/MINI - is time for Peugeot to dominate for a period of time again?

Who's next, who's got the budget, which manufacturer wants a Dakar win (or 2) enough to set-up a program and to invest the resources (including drivers) required to develop and test a machine that will set the bar a bit higher?

We are Still STOKED Down Under!
  5. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Piatek Waterfall,

-22.188148, -65.561429

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    theantipaul, cyborg and RumRunner like this.
  6. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    May I propose that TSC provide misc with a proper avatar to reflect elite factory-level status?

Some of the more creative here might suggest or build such avatar and have time to do so on the rest day.
  7. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    The PUG slammed the window of opportunity down on RG's fingers while he was hanging from the window ledge. Even if every Pug goes up in smoke tomorrow they've proven to be conceptually sound. Any chance an RG buggy might have had is gone.
  8. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Morning folks, have a great rest day. Lookibg forward to race getting off of these dirt roads and into some sand and rocks. Fingers crossed the rain stays away and the sand gets soft. Certainly the rain seems to have been the #1 challenge so far. The terrain and the shortend/cancelled stages have taken away from the event, not complaining (well sorta) but never before have we watched a week lonh wrc race like this. Bet they haven't needed a compass yet. Getting stuck hasn't been a factor nor has getting lost (attrition rate reflects my feelings).

As a fan I am have still been enjoying it but in the back of my head I keep thinking this is lame. In contrast I keep getting emails from the AER with photos of people racing endless dunes...images which first captured my imagination and led me to becoming an F5tragic. I have always scoffed at the "its not the real Dakar cause its not in Africa" crowd. It was easy to do that as I was watching awesome stuff....bikes on gnarly bike only specials riding high altitude single track, descending massive sand mountains, crossing mountains ranges with snow capped peaks, etc. What happened to the awesome terrain? Coma to blame? Peru bailing to blame? Chile not signing up to blame? Likely a combination of those....I would have liked to have seen Coma making the route on a bike as that is what he is used to ...maybe his perspective got skewed from the seat of a Hilux?

Know one likes sour grapes or a whiny bitch so I'll shut up soon :thumb

Fingers crossed they can "save" the race with the second week :nod
    AteamNM, London, steved57 and 6 others like this.
  9. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one?
    F5ITH.jpg
    keepshoveling, PJTX, too old and 4 others like this.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I'll add, before the internet lashes back ;)

Aregntina and in particular the areas they were have awesome terrain, they choose not to use it. I have no idea why. There was dune fields, endless silt trails, ridges in the foothills....it was all there....but the route followed dirt roads instead.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I think I am not alone in thinking these thoughts?

GO!!! Manny GO!!!
  11. royle

royle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank heavens for rest day - wasn't able to follow the chaos yesterday, but I'm unsnowballed once again. Here are the half-time fantasy standings:

Stage 7:
    =============
    1st...bastion (broliokas)...46 pts
    2nd...10to1 (INDY)..........44 pts
    3rd...Chief (Chief)............44 pts

Top 10 overall:
    =============
    1st...Nanana Vroom (tibx)..............260 pts
    2nd...Quietus (Quietus)..................256 pts
    3rd...Go Hard or Go Home (Coak)...249 pts
    4th...DeserTales (stuckthrottle).......239 pts
    5th...10to1 (INDY)..........................222 pts
    6th...bastion (broliokas)...................219 pts
    7th...Miltie (miltie67)........................207 pts
    8th...wingnuts (wingnut11)...............203 pts
    9th...Too Olds (Too old)....................202 pts
    10th...Gordito (Lana).........................197 pts

Everything to play for in the second week then! :wink:
    stuckthrottle, Sundowner and Quietus like this.
  12. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's actually a separate thread for the RG-related speculation. To me, it's too hard to separate the vehicle's performance from his, and the product of the two is wildly inconsistent. It seems to me that he is only competitive (top ten) running flat-out and the people who win this rally simply don't do that.
  13. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Very nice recap! Thks!
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :super F5 f5irehose DAKAR "silly ditty" :D
    Deadly (ted)99's letter home - the Salta rest day: :D

Hello Muddahs, hello F5adduhs :wave
    Here I am at el DAKARO :D
    Camp is very entertaining :nod
    And f5olk’s say we'll have some fun when it stops raining :rofl

“We’s” been biking with Barreda :ricky
    who developed motor failure :cry
    You remember Matty Walkner ?
    He and Rubens tripped in gutters and did faulter… :muutt

There-s been de-lays, on the stages :bluduh
    the liason’s, late by ages :doh
    And the press corps, they are banking :csm
    on the ASO’le Peugeot/RedBull PR wanking… :1drink

Now I don't want you’se to bother…
    the support crew – ain’t been spotted?! :uhoh
    You remember map mate Hog-Wild :thumb
    Found ‘em on a washed-out bridge he google dotted. :clap:clap:clap

A. - S. - O’les, those Muddah, F5adduh’s
    Take our souls, we love the DAKAR :raabia
    don’t leave me, out in the off-piste where
    I might get-bubbled by a (humphrey) bear :wink: :thumbup

Make week two, I promise I will not make noise…
    Or mess the heads of Hon-da boyz… :evil
    Oh please don't make us stay…
    On grav-el... one – more - daaaay… :bluduh

(ted pulls the f5luff out of his navel) :imaposer

Dearest sister, darling brothers :D
    How's our little mate Goncalves? :super :thumb
    Let me come home if ya’ miss me… :smooch
    I would even let garf’s pitbull hug and kiss me :feelgood

Wait a minute, it stopped raining :happay
    Guys are smiling, spirits sailing :wings
    It’s the DAKAR… gee, that's better :rayof
    Muddah, F5adduhs kindly disregard this letter… :1drink

by the f5's ratf5ink :D
  15. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Possible considerations:

A) it's faster to recon, setup, map and roadbook using trails. Contingency/emergency plans also get simplified. Given the short time to work after the race got restricted to Argentina/Bolivia, maybe this is a valid reason.

B) Dakar is a sport with entertainment value. Unlike snooker where the organizers can't play with the shape and size of the table to make it more interesting, ASO can. Ending the first week with a lower attrition rate and with the overall top 20 so close together makes the race seemingly more open. Last editions people would look at the overall on rest day and would loose interest, thinking that the guys leading with 20+ minutes had it in the bag. People rooting for the underdogs representing their nations has no one to root for as a good part had already been out. Maybe a more progressive attrition rate is a desirable characteristic and ASO is willing to support the cost of larger bivouacs to keep it more interesting for longer to the average fan. Remember that the average fan is the guy checking Eurosport every other day and looking at the overall and the results of his countrymen, not crazy people like us who try to find where exactly on Earth is that WPM that rendered a x min penalty to rider Y that will now take DSS n postions back and accounting a minues and b seconds separations will potentialy blabla bla...
  17. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus, no need to just use Michelin.... Run what ever make you fancy and who can meet your requirements.
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Annie's blog

# Dakar2016. End of rejset. My race is over.Posted on 01/10/2016January 9 Uyuni, Stage 6End of rejset. Dakar2016 is over for me.My Desert Warrior # 373 gave up on stage 6, the second part of the marathon.It's really sad and frustrating to have to break the Dakar rally this year. We have fought around the clock several sections in a row with the faulty electronics that control fuel injection. The car has at times barely been driven, so it's a wonder we have come so far. Route 6, it was only about 70 km left of 542 kilometers.The problems started after we run the initial stages in the pouring rain. El Niño rains are the worst I have experienced, it skvalade huge amounts and everything was floating in the pits. Then the engine began to misfire. And then it just got worse and worse.I have slept and frozen in the rally car last night out on the stretch - it's freezing up there at 4000 m altitude in the middle of the night. Tonight it was stopped again and the support team came in the morning to try to fix the problem, as they have done all the other times I have been stopped. But today, it was not more, not even our meckar got the fuel to work out, so I could not take the start - and is thus out of the race.So disappointed not to be able to continue while still driving, my co-driver and team worked so well otherwise. But so cruelly is Dakar; you get problems, it is difficult to find time to fix and one left behind until they simply go out.So now I go with the team the rest of the competition. # 411 Bruno Rodi is still there, and have run pretty good. But I suffer possibly even more for teammate # 396 Derek Price who crashed his car completely yesterday. It will be expensive for him.dk2016-SS1-canceled-annie tongueBåde I and my co-driver Bert Heskes am very disappointed not to be able to continue. The run was, after all, very good, and he was a good kartis. Bert and I have synced unbelievable good despite the lack of sleep and frustration. We were a top team together and was able with humor and fighting spirit continue though we really were totally floored.During these days hell, I still had fun - believe it or not. But being forced to solve problems and be able to continue even though you know it will be even jävligare on 10-20-30 mil, it still offers an enormous self-satisfaction.It's a great feeling, I take with me.Now I'm craving revenge to max. So I wonder how I'll get the money for a start in the Dakar 2017.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the truck was broken down a few days ago. His team mate got some spares from the Vogels team.

As I see it, if Humphrey had fancied, there are many teams about with a spare spot after loosing their own riders.
  20. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Rosa FB

We have reached the stage of rest! Bolivia has been hard, at the height I was having trouble breathing and any effort was hard, we has rained again and we have gone cold. Stage 5, the longest one, I had to provide relief to a quad I found unconscious in the middle of the track, the helicopter takes me a while since I had other accidents and then we had to help the doctors to evacuate, at the end of For a while, I found a motorcycle like this again and again... This put me behind a lot and passed me so many cars, the track was shattered and it was very hard for me to end... Every car that I was leading was a danger, so I had to stop and continue after a while. But well, for my part without falls, the bike is perfect, although i noticed a lot of the loss of power in the height. My team Himoinsa Team is amazing, all the mechanics and give the maximum for them has been hard to work under the rain, the dust, the cold, the heat... And my partner Dani Oliveras21 is a crack!!! Let's go for the second week!!!
    Translated from Spanish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]