2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Just shows how close the first weeks stages were - some of this seems to have been down to the 3 min and 2 mins starts, but also the types of terrain and the difficulties similar speed guys have had making up time, whilst not having too many navigation issues?
  2. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just put the first one on the map.
  3. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Here's the map and Google Earth file for Stage 8. A huge percentage of this stage, especially towards the end, is sand washes.

Google Earth File

Stage8Dakar2016byScottWhitney.png
  4. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talking of missing great Dakar riders

[​IMG]
  5. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    slime, Rato Molhado and garfey like this.
  6. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Weldr

Weldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at Sylvain Espinasse's FB, the little albino KTM has had it's first engine change, not bad for a 125
  8. Mudface

Mudface Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    F5ITH... we're off...

• MEO ANTOINE (FRA)
    07:00:00 -
    Rato Molhado and Deadly99 like this.
  10. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for posting that.
  11. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave :*sip*

Goo' Mawnin' Y'all!
    Shall we get to it again?
    (Note that I have a Quack's app't this morning and will be peeling out abt 8A, hopefully back by noon, but there's also the possibility that a visitor or two will come over about then and my attention to "our" guys & gals in SA may be somewhat less than 100%. I have full confidence that Team F5 will have everything in order for me when I turn again to these important days' events.)
    too old likes this.
  12. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    06:02
    Honda: it's all about Gonçalves.

With 3 victories in the bag, including the prologue, Honda are enjoying a good start to the Dakar, which could have been even better but for the two wins by Barreda that were then lost due to speeding penalties. Their clear objective for the 2016 edition is to climb back onto the top step of the podium. Impressive in the hands of Barreda, the CRF 450 has demonstrated plenty of potential. Unfortunately, the ardent Spaniard was let down my mechanical problems during the second part of the marathon stage (stage 6). As a result, Paulo Gonçalves, more discrete but performing just as well, now bears the hopes of the “reds” as he leads the category at the mid-way point. With his good navigational skills, the forthcoming week is not likely to scare him. The Portuguese rider should therefore be the focus of all his team's attention and all the resources they have still in the race. He can rely on the support of his team-mates Ricky Brabec (in 12th place, 38'07 behind) and Michael Metge (16th, 50'26 behind) who be acting as his bodyguards. In the subsidiary team Honda South America, Kevin Benavides, in a surprising 5th place in the general standings 21'01 behind his new team leader, is also a serious alternative. This Monday, he should logically have a free reign. This status could be extended, depending on his result this evening at the end of the Salta-Belen stage.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  13. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was not referring to that particular ridge, certainly i doubt there is any of that today, but I´m sure there will be something in the days to come that will be a bit of a challenge.

I hope everyone is up to the challenge and remain on their toes.

This clip is apt to the Dakar perhaps in more ways than one. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Would I?, garfey and too old like this.
  14. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like HRC have been writing their own press again :D
    K_N_Fodder likes this.
  15. garfey

Oddometer:
    While I know it's stupid to "tar all with the same brush" and the goals of many are laudable, it seems to me that many, if not most, of the "Greenies" really should get a life and stop their attempts to disrupt others' attempts to enjoy the outdoors however possible. Whatta bunch of sticks-in-the-mud. And I have no intention to engage in any exchanges re "the future" and "saving" everything for our grandchildren's grandchildren's grandchildren.

To IMPORTANT STUFF!
    Clancy likes this.
  16. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you play it now, you can see it before the first WP. :D

(people trying to make the world safe for their Volvos)
    slime, FlameThrower, hubilado and 2 others like this.
  17. wasabi46

wasabi46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    We have green bikes...
    Rato Molhado and Myway like this.
  18. garfey

Oddometer:
    Much dumping of blurbs by ASO this morning - they had a whole day to think 'em up, I suppose:

• 07:02 : KTM: steadily strong
      With an impressive series of 14 consecutive victories, the Austrian firm firmly intends to carry on this extraordinary sequence this year. Third last year on his first participation, Toby Price has found himself thrust into the position of leading rider in the official KTM team following the departure of Marc Coma. Too fast and too soon? Sicne the start of this Dakar, the Australian has demonstrated that the position of number one rider does not scare him. Managing his race when necessary accelerating when required, Price is ideally placed in the general standings, with three stage victories already in the bag. Second at only 3’12’’ behind Gonçalves, the official KTM knows that the next three days will be decisive. Whilst he seems comfortable with navigation, the Australian will no longer be able to rely on the support of Walkner who withdrew from the race after a crash the day before the rest day. His only team-mate still in the race is none other than Antoine Meo. The five times world enduro champion has surprised everyone by his rapid adaptation on his first Dakar. Winner of one stage, he is in sixth place in the general standings, 21’06 behind the race leader. Bearing in mind that he has a lot to learn in navigation, as he readily admits, it is very likely that he will be racing in the tracks of Price as from Monday. As regards Stefan Svitko, third in the general standings on a privately run KTM, he will probably be taking on a similar role to that of Benavides with Honda, namely that of a free spirit. Lying only 9’24’’ in the general standings, the experienced Slovakian knows that he can aim for a top 5 place or even on the podium. There unknown quantity is whether, without the official support of KTM, he will be ready to do the brand’s bidding, should Price encounter problems…

• 07:14 : Yamaha: a reaction from blues?
        One thing is for sure: the official Yamaha bikes have remained very discrete until the rest day. Whilst, like many, they knew that the second week of the rally will be decisive, Helder Rodrigues and Alessandro Botturi seemed rather timid. However, the two team-mates have valid excuses. The former was ill during the first days of the rally. Not running on a full tank in physical terms, he limited the damage and managed, as his fitness returned, to join the top 10 on the specials of the last two stages before the rest day. Hopefully, the recuperation on Sunday will have enabled him to recover completely. In 7th position more than 24 minutes behind, the Portuguese rider has no other choice but to increase his pace to claw back time on the rally leaders. Twice a third placed finisher (in 2011 and 2012) this challenge seems to be within his reach and the Yamaha has not yet demonstrated its full potential. The task will probably be more difficult for Botturi, his team-mate. The Italian has been suffering with a wrist injury since the early stages of the race, meaning it is not easy to do as well as he may have hoped to. Relegated to 39 minutes behind the leader, which is both a little and a lot, it would seem logical that his team ask him to provide support to Rodrigues. He could also serve as a big brother to young Frenchman Adrien Van Beveren. Riding for the subsidiary team Yamaha Motors France, the two times winner of the Enduropale du Touquet taking part in his first Dakar has put in a far from ridiculous performance. Sixth on the third stage, he is now just behind the Italian in the general standings, meaning that the leader of the “blues” has double support to rely on.

• 07:21 : Husqvarna: Quintanilla still in the reckoning
        Fourth last year, Pablo Quintanilla’s sole objective for 2016 is to finish on the podium. The least that can be said is that the Chilean has handled the first week of the rally very well. Without attracting too much attention but doing what is necessary, quite like Gonçalves (Honda), he lies in fourth place in the general standings, 18 minutes behind the Portuguese rider. The leading privateer at the foot of the podium last year, his switch to the official Husqvarna team appears to have given him wings. He considers himself to be fighting on a level playing field with the other pretenders for overall victory, so it will be interesting to see what strategy he adopts over the next few days: leader or follower? It is not simple, because he is not too far behind, but the gap could increase in the case where he pushes himself too far and comes unstuck on the next three stages during which navigation will be a key element. Finally, having lost his team-mate Ruben Faria (with a broken wrist), Quintanilla does not have any support, unlike his competitors.

19. garfey

Oddometer:
    While I agree with you re coverage of The Big 'Uns, frankly I have hell just keeping up with the bikes and, to a much lesser extent, the carz. There ain't no empty sectors left in the "little grey cells."
  20. wheelstanddream

wheelstanddream Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to Keith on Sunday to pay my respects, hard to believe its been 10 years already :(
    K_N_Fodder, homerj, QDogg and 2 others like this.