2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  2. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Hope the wrists are doing ok. What a struggle he has been through. Really pulling for him to have a good time and run. Heck of a nice guy and fast as heck. thanks
    Uller and K_N_Fodder like this.
  3. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the regs:

Am I correct in thinking that a neutralised section is not considered a 'road section'?

No fixed penalty, so it's up to ASO's discretion.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  4. fleshpiston

fleshpiston Think bicycles, ya perv

Oddometer:
    Maybe this is bad timing, but what could have been?

If any future alien could've handled the dunes ..... it would've been Kurt

DudaRO, wasabi46, bmon and 5 others like this.
  5. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
  6. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fast for sure. I don't think he is riding to his ability due to his wrists, just working on a finish.
    neduro likes this.
  7. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    some images from motorsport.com of one Sheldon Creed changing tires or something.

#337 - SHELDON CREED (USA) / JONAH STREET (USA) [GORDINI]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some great shots of the stage:

#3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#7 - HELDER RODRIGUES (PRT) YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#52 - MONTERO IVAN CERVANTES (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

even with the GIANT watermark, these are AWESOME! i think i just found a new source for photos! :happay
  8. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, the Dakar has started - 5 hrs sleep and over 12 pages behind. Not the 20 of old, but still a significant jump!
    yardracer likes this.
  9. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dammit I did this thing called "work" today and I missed the most exciting/painful/Dakar day there was.

HUGE respect for Gonk, sorry... "Speedy" for jumping up and ripping out of there after that get off. At first I thought he was in a rock field and I was waiting for followup shots of the helicopter.

Also *huge* new respect for this Loeb guy and his navigator... ;) I was in the similar mind that it was too easy for him to win. I have a lot of respect for the fact that they TOTALLY wadded that thing up, FIXED it, and DROVE it in. Wow, well done.

And TP... wow.... I'm just praying that he doesn't pull a Barreda.

Google sheet charts are updated. Looks like somebody was working on calculating their ages as well, but it's a little broken. Very cool though, not hard to fix I believe.

Our USA USA USA dudes are running a very smart rally so far.
  10. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just looked in to 'NRJ Challenge Vehicle' and it appears to be alternative fuel like a biofuel. Maybe the Pug runs on biodiesel? If so they're well within the regs and have played a nice card here - they can refuel at any bike refuelling point!!!
  11. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Racing

2016 Dakar Starts Second Week; Yamaha’s Riders Stand Firm Against Tough Competition
    The Yamaha riders are back on track! After a day off yesterday, today's stage marked the entry into the second part of the rally and a change in programme for the extreme enduro competitors. They faced the first dune sections of the 2016 edition combined with newly enforced navigational challenges on the track, upping the rally's difficulty. The leading group kept the pressure on and maintained a fast race pace and as a result only a tiny time difference divided the first ten riders. Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team's rider Hélder Rodrigues kept his momentum and signed off the eighth stage with a strong sixth position. His teammate Alessandro Botturi finished 12th and Yamalube Yamaha Junior Rally Team's riders Adrien Van Beveren and Xavier De Soultrait also did well, ending the day in 10th and 13th place respectively.

The Yamaha riders hit the ground running at top speed at the eighth stage of the Dakar Rally, the start of the second part of the competition. Today's travels consisted of a 766-kilometre journey from Salta to Belén, including a 393-kilometre race, divided up in two special sections.

Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team's Rodrigues was eager to go out to conquer the dunes in a special specifically designed to test the riders' skills when dealing with navigation subtleties.

He kept his level of focus after his day off. Despite his persistent flu, he was determined to take advantage of the second week right from the start. He staunchly kept in front of his relentless rivals to secure seventh place in the overall classification after claiming sixth position in today's stage, with just a three-minute gap to the podium finishers.

Teammate Botturi did his job as a supporting rider and covered Rodrigues' back. The Italian rider didn't attack as much as he is capable of, as the dunes made his injured wrist even more painful. He had to be content with 12th position both on today's stage and in the general standings.

Yamalube Yamaha Junior Rally Team Van Beveren continued to demonstrate his qualities today by riding cleverly and not making any mistakes in the challenging navigational sections. The junior gave a solid top-10 performance today that placed him 11th in the general classification.

Fellow junior rider De Soultrait's efforts also paid off, finishing 13th in today's stage, right behind Botturi. He's been consistently moving up in the standings since the third stage and got the satisfaction to gain more places in the overall timesheet of the day, climbing up to 19th in the rankings.

In the quad category, the Patronellis are ruling the field! Though Marcos and Alejandro were a bit hassled during the first kilometres of the race by their challenging rivals willing to reverse the standings that were established first week, the brothers quickly responded and took over the first two positions on the track. They held these positions until the finish and maintained the leadership in the overall classification, Marcos first and Alejandro second, with a comfortable 30-minute advantage.

Tomorrow the Yamaha riders will leave the bivouac for the second marathon stage that loops back to Belén and will have the competitors stay in an isolated bivouac. It will be a very demanding off-piste special for the bike and the riders; the participants will have to keep their minds clear to make the right navigational choices - a major challenge in the upcoming ninth stage.
  12. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Creed made it in after all!!!!!:deal
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    METGE MADE IT :clap:clap:clap
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Good !! He has an awesome codriver !

Marthon Day Numero Dos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Iron Horse likes this.
  15. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick translation, he fell down on stage four and has been grinding his teeth until the rest day to go and see the medics. He spent his day at the hospital and was diagnosed with "Fracture apophyse transverse droite de L2 et disjonction sterno claviculaire..." fracture on L2 and dislocation sternum clavicule.

he says that he will keep going as the only competitor from Morocco to take the flag to the finish line....
  16. Vacman

Vacman Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer:
    I was walking around the kitchen humming this song tonight. Unofficial Dakar theme song! Picturing a bunch of guys cruising through the night in a huge race truck listening to this song just cracks me the hell up.

17. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    I don't see this on Mischa's tracker or Dakar.com? Looks like four guys still on piste after WP9?
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    I don't know about continuing.....he's on the withdrawal list......:(
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  19. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    he's in on Mischa's tracker here..........................:dunno 104th
  20. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer: