2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    According to the Dakar home page there are 104 bikes in. Somehow or other something is fritzing.........:dirtdog mind you, half the time the numbers on the home page and the day's course/timing page don't add up either...............:loco
  2. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    You are for sure correct.

Scott has the mind and skills to do very well there. I think he is a beast for making it this far, given that he had major surgery on both arms in October and again on his left arm in December.

I have always looked up to Scott and that is never more true than watching him persevere through this challenge. :bow
  3. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    A couple of random thoughts:

- I am curious how the Pugs will do when they see real heat, which they haven't yet. If there's a chink in the armor, it will come out when it gets soft and hot.

- Watching Speedy get up from a BIG off, run back to the bike, and dump the clutch to not lose more time... is pretty revealing. How many of us have had those wind-knocked-out moments, disoriented by the side of the trail, thinking of nothing but getting our breath and our bearings... apparently, force of will can overcome that. Wow.

- Glad someone posted the La Serena video of Kurt, I love that. Poetry in motion. Kurt held Toby in very high regard and apparently, he was a pretty good judge of both character and riding skill. I think very highly of the sportsmanship and strength displayed by Toby, Speedy, and Svitko (as well as others up front). Pretty stark contrast to the fisticuffs at Stupidcross the other night.

- Very very cool that Loeb and his navigator got that thing to the finish. The more I see of his competitive spirit, the more impressed I am.

- The opposite is true of JBB. The more I see, the more I hope not to see more of. What a wanker.

- Today seemed like the first real stage to me, from the cheap seats. I think the next few days are going to extend and expand on that. :lurk
    DudaRO, Quietus, Clancy and 11 others like this.
  4. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Being a fan of Mikko, I hope to see more good results. It'll make him feel better if he does well, since he would have been a WRC champ had his hood not opened in the WRC in 2009, losing the title to Loeb by one single point!

Go Toby!! Gonk is a rockstar for picking himself up after that crash! I'd still have the shakes hours after a big off like that.
  5. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am impressed with all the Americans (actually impressed by anyone even making the start of Daker) but just wow Ian Blythe 24th for today and 29th overall at this point - man that's awesome

Glad to see Speedy get up from his high speed getoff and am blown away Loeb/Elena got the Pug moving again and to the finish
  6. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't think an appointment with the Medical Mafia would wind up taking all day, and it didn't, but then "stuff happened" so I'm beaucoup pages behind. Lemme see if I can round up the info for tomorrow's go.

• 19:26 : Belen-Belen: navigation again
      Although this stage might seem simple in light of the low mileage to be covered, it is likely to be very testing for the competitors. The 285-km special will in fact be contested all most entirely off the tracks, meaning that there could be many new developments in the race by the time the stage returns to Belen.The bikes and quads will be on a marathon stage and will return to an isolated bivouac. In addition to navigation, stage 9 could also be marked by intense heat, representing a further physical test for the competitors over the 396 kilometres on the programme for the tenth day of racing.
    Stage 9 - 12 Jan 16
    Belen > Belen

1st Start (GMT -3) : 06:45AM
    Stage Map : Bikes/Quads
    [​IMG]

Stage Map : Cars/Trucks
    [​IMG]

Bikes/Quads

• Special sections: 285km
    • Total: 436km
    Cars/Trucks

• Special sections: 285km
    • Total: 396km
    (For some reason, I cannot copy the Stage Profile. :dunno)

Giving up, crashing, see ya in the wee smalls.
  7. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Those?

Car/Truck
    [​IMG]

Bike/Quad
    [​IMG]
    garfey and troy safari carpente like this.
  8. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    And I can see them moving their heads, also :lol3

Well, people, I'm going to sleep. See you tomorrow morning! [​IMG]
    Lobster Grrl likes this.
  9. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    weather forecast for S9 ... gunna be a warm one. Same temperature here tomorrow :jkam

Fiambalá, Catamarca Province, Argentina
    Tuesday 3:00 pm
    Sunny
    [​IMG]
    °C | °F
    Precipitation: 0%
    Humidity: 15%
    Wind: 16 km/h
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  10. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing both Gordini's got towed in. Any news on that yet?
  11. stuckthrottle

stuckthrottle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The short lived cannondale moto had a cassette type gear stack. I thought it was a genius idea. Change gearing without splitting the cases. Wonder what ASO would think if a bike manufacturer showed up with this setup to Dakar.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    dooby and troy safari carpente like this.
  12. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    :dunno nothing on Planet Robby FB
  13. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    Is the electric car in yet, number 369? Last I could find they were at way point 7.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  14. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com

Bike class leader Toby Price says the Bike class may be decided by a matter of seconds at the end of the 2016 Dakar.
    The Australian re-took the bike lead across today’s 393 kilometre stage, turning a three-minute deficit to Paulo Goncalves into a two-minute advantage thanks to an impressive ride across the dunes.

But Price says there’s still plenty to play out, predicting that the battle between the two will go down to the wire.

“With Paulo, me and him are battling,” said Price.

“It's pretty much day-for-day. We take time off each other and I think it's going to come down to minutes and seconds by the end of the week.

“He's a real strong competitor and he's got a lot more navigation skills than what I do, but we're trying our best and keeping ourselves in front as much as we can.

“It is a little bit stressful, but once you throw your leg over the bike and you get going, we just have to make sure we make all the right calls and be confident with what we decide to do.”

Price relishing navigation challenge
    According to Price, it was the move to more traditional technical Dakar roads in the latter part of the day that helped him streak back into the lead.

“The first part started out with nice big open roads, dropped a little bit of time there but it’s a pretty fast track,” he said.

“I was looking forward to the second part where it’s more technical and more difficult, [and it] suited me pretty well with the sand dunes there. I did some doubles and triples which makes it pretty fun.

“[The] last few days I’ve done well with navigation so I’m feeling more confident, but in saying that there’s guys that have raced Dakar for ten years that have made mistakes so we will wait and see.

“We pushed through and navigated well, which felt good. Everything at the moment feels really good.”
    garfey and troy safari carpente like this.
  15. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    shows at WP 8 but I have no idea when the ASO updated their data last......
  17. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'll bet. Might be awhile until Rubbie cools down enough to talk on camera...
    yardracer likes this.
  18. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Catching up today.

Really impressed that Speedy was able to take that crash and keep going.

It was a pretty big getoff and could have easily broken a collarbone or injured a shoulder.

He's a tough dude.
  19. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    Thanks Yardracer. I wonder if their battery has run down and they are stuck in the dunes. No update on their twitter feed either.
    yardracer likes this.
  20. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting! I was just searching the same vid to post and dedicate to the various pilots, leaders, withdrawals, dreamers, organizers (At times frustrating but they do a hell of a lot) and crews because the Missus has been playing Bowie for the last hour+. Oddly enough, it's playing right now. Glad I went back through to see if anybody posted!

I had been thinking of asking the mods to put a moratorium on music vids, seriously? "The Streak"?!?!?!? which caused my F5inger injury and subsequent withdrawal....

I guess we should save Starman for the winner!!!!
    Rato Molhado likes this.