2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. auguzt

auguzt get on with it

Oddometer:
    Citizen Lavigne...
  2. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Maybe they saw it on the live monitor? For some reason it seems that ASO stops publishing waypoint data at some point. Maybe when mister-time-publisher falls asleep? Then at some point they pass finish and popup in the results. At that point you will see them in the live monitor too.
    K_N_Fodder likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Jenny,

You are correct the "proviso" is for "special fuel" requirements pertaining to liason stages (to the bivouac) or refuels mid stage - usually refers to MOTO only. Sometimes (in Africa) on exceedingly long stages where no commercial fuel outlets exist, there were drum fuel dumps for AUTO competitors also. And for "special need" factory teams, the red clause meant they had to put the fuel through "scrutineering".

For Vehicles using biodegradable fuels, the fuel used to travel from the Bivouac to the Start of the Selective Section, as well as the Selective Section itself, must be the fuel declared at Scrutineering

But the governing clause remains art. 5 b) which states that the T1 vehicle must have sufficient range from Bivouac to end of selective section.

5) CHALLENGE NRJ: “ALTERNATIVE ENERGY”
    a) In the T1, T2 and T3 Groups, there will be a challenge for Cross-Country Vehicles powered by alternative energy (biodegradable fuel, hybrids engines, ethanol, gas, hydrogen, etc.).
    Vehicles will be accepted in this challenge upon receipt of a detailed file, presented before 1st October 2015.
    b) These Vehicles must have sufficient range to cover the distance from the Bivouac to the Finish of the Selective Section, except for 100% electric Vehicles which may, upon request, and after approval, ask for a change of battery(ies) / recharge(s) at bike refuelling (refuelling point organised for bikes throughout the Event),

That's all I can come up with (still no jury notice posted)
    So, it seems the jury will decide...

Having said that, (if it was drummed fuel that PEUGEOT arranged with ASO - in advance - then yes, they have already obviously done a deal/signed off on the regulations ie. got a "Schlesser concession" as they used to be called).
    cheekorollo likes this.
  4. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding RG's penalty.:deal

The official papers state that it is a speeding penalty much like the other Peugeot crews have sustained. Unless ASO is not telling the hole story and the truth, Doc.No 2016.04.PEN is clear. Nothing else has been reported officially by ASO paperwork, better to stay clear of the ''he left a crew on their own'' as there is no evidence to support that, plus it makes Gordon looking bad. Something like Sainz's comments last year when it came out that he left a rider that he hit.
    There are other penalties that can be 1hr, but that is pure speculation at this point with ASO releasing a paper stating excessive speed.

There is also a penalty if there is a car that does not allow overtaking after audible warnings from their sentinel, (N° 29P1) . Apparently they verify the data through Sentinel and iritrack.

D.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Agreed - only the pedant in me would say actually there is nothing in the rules saying you cannot fuel up prior to the DSS (not just from the Bivouac) and after the ASS on liaison - in fact it is positively encouraged where available so as to avoid queues at the official refuels (Motos/Quads), and often there is a fuel station marked in the road book once you get close to the DSS, and again as soon as possible after the ASS.

So I guess the issue is where exactly car #302 was spotted taking on fuel (if indeed they were actually seen with a nozzle in the filler, and not just parked next to a pump while the occupants scoffed Cherry Ripes ;o)

Jx
    cheekorollo likes this.
  6. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back on to the mixed start talk for a second- Dakar.com has the standard start times with Bikes, then Quads, then Cars, then Trucks. If we take this as gospel there's no mixed start today.
    Carlos M likes this.
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    The whole thing boils down to the fact that he took on fuel IN the "special stage" and whether the CH fuel depot is "motorcycles only" or not. (aside for the electric vehicle, the rules indicate that all other AUTO's must have range to complete the entire stage).

Below he two parties make their statement in this article.

http://www.motorsport.com/dakar/news/dakar-leader-peterhansel-under-investigation-667241/

my gut tells me that PEUGEOT have already "signed off" on this with the ASO in advance.
  8. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, those, Thank You, Ma'am.
    Dunno why but my PC refused to copy them so I could paste 'em. :dunno

:wave
    Up - eyes ain't open yet but I'm up, heading for the coffee pot. Then much catching up to do while the riders get to rolling.
    yardracer likes this.
  9. garfey

Oddometer:
    Better?
  10. garfey

Oddometer:
    I have no clue what Cherry Ripes are but I think I want some. Good with coffee? :dukegirl
  11. too old

too old Keen supporter

Oddometer:
    It's very quiet?

1 003 PRICE (AUS) KTM 07:00:00
    2 002 GONCALVES (PRT) HONDA 07:03:00
    3 004 QUINTANILLA (CHL) HUSQVARNA 07:06:00
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes, sorry I wasn't being clear - as you say, if this was spotted at a dedicated ASO refuel point (as the link above suggests) and not a random service station, then it would appear that Peugeot must have had some sort of arrangement with ASO in place...

French favouritism - never!

Jx
  13. ianofmcmillan

ianofmcmillan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't think anyone has posted this from Corky's fb (could be wrong, missed a few pages overnight).

Day 9: Got the fear!..... Head all in the wrong place and I had a bad start to the special but after 100k I started to enjoy myself again.

The morning was much like Day 6 with the cars, dust and some narrow technical sections which seems to be the norm for this edition of the rally.

THEN..... in a specatators area full of soft rutted sand I droped the bike after going over a climb. My leg way pinned and as I removed it from underneath the bike a car was heading straight for me!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazingly the diver had quick reactions and only ran over the bikes wheels which was enough to mess with my head again.

The afternoon was a continous onslought of soft sand, fesh fesh, camel grass and dry river beds - it was horrendous. A quad rider flagged me down as his ride had suck in the white sand and was a sitting target for the trucks.It took a massive effort to get it fee and alot of effort but we got it free. This had lost me alot of time.

Moving on and sharing the pistes with trucks it got dark with around 40k to go - not alot of fun!
    Arrived at Bivouac 11:00 - Had been riding for 16 hours. The Medics checked me over ............ All good for tomorrow.

What a day! 16 hours of riding and nearly getting run over. Hopefully today is a better day for him.
  14. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    cherry and coconut covered in chocolate , ozzie tucker.
  15. Gimme 2

Oddometer:
    This stage sounds hard , heat, heaps of navigation mostly off track. 285 k's of it...what are they whinging about:lol3

GO CORKY!!
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    F5ITH station break... and weeeee're back... :rofl

07:16
    The bikes are on the way
    The bikes are currently on the link section to the start of the day's special, which includes 285 kilometres and the formidable dunes of Fiambala. It will be another exceedingly difficult day in navigational terms and is the first part of the second marathon stage in the category.

19:26
    Belen-Belen: navigation again
    Although this stage might seem simple in light of the low mileage to be covered, it is likely to be very testing for the competitors. The 285-km special will in fact be contested all most entirely off the tracks, meaning that there could be many new developments in the race by the time the stage returns to Belen.
    The bikes and quads will be on a marathon stage and will return to an isolated bivouac. In addition to navigation, stage 9 could also be marked by intense heat, representing a further physical test for the competitors over the 396 kilometres on the programme for the tenth day of racing.

Fiambalá, its dunes and its waters
    Every day, a competitor taking part in the Dakar tells dakar.com visitors about the tourist and cultural attractions of the course of the day. Today, Esteban Ariel López Jové (No. 38), who withdrew from the race on stage 5 between Jujuy-Uyuni, will show us around Fiambalá.
    It is not a big city, but this small town with a population of less than 10,000 stands out thanks to its thermal baths, vineyards, olive groves and, since several years ago, its dunes which have become an essential part of the Dakar...

Stage 9 - 12 Jan 16
    Belen > Belen

1st Start : 07:00AM ARG time
    Stage Map : Bikes/Quads

[​IMG]

Stage Map : Cars/Trucks
    [​IMG]

Fiambalá does not probably hold the fondest of memories for many regular competitors on the Dakar, for the local dunes have often buried the best of intentions. Moreover, those with an eye to achieving an exploit on the Dakar come and train here, such as Esteban López, from Neuquèn in Southern Argentina: “The sand in this area is always on the programme of the Dakar. It is very fine and therefore very soft. When I raced here for the Ruta 40, the temperature was at 35°C and it can rise to 50°C without it being out of the ordinary. The bikes overheat quickly and racing in this area can be pretty tough… Other than that, the thermal baths are definitely worth the detour”.

The waters are the jewel in the crown of Fiambalá, a small town with a population of 5,000, which is the last on the Ruta 40 before reaching Chile. The thermal baths that enchanted Esteban López are located 15 kilometres away from the town. The water springs from a summit at a temperature of 60°C. To adapt it for public and revitalising use, fourteen pools carved out of the rock are dotted along the descent, enabling the water to cool sufficiently to provide the virtues of Fiambalá's waters to sufferers of rheumatism, osteoporosis, allergies or respiratory infections. As for the rest, despite its toughness for the competitors on the Dakar, the area boasts a certain relaxing appeal with landscapes of olive groves and vineyards. As for the town itself, its Jesuit church made from clay bricks is worthy of a visit, in order to see a superb votive offering of San Pedro…
  17. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    Morning, guys and gals. I think the first riders are, well, riding :pynd
    wasabi46 likes this.
  18. Gimme 2

Oddometer:
    Peterhansels defence , le buggie es a biigah quada ...No?
  19. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    garfey and Gimme 2 like this.
  20. ianofmcmillan

ianofmcmillan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do the stage maps from Dakar.com have the orientation all messed up i.e. East is 'up' and West is 'down'?

Surely it's more sensible/conventional to have North 'up' and South 'down'... is it a French thing?
    Rato Molhado likes this.