2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are some good posts here (neduro, anders etc ie the rally people). Equally there are some utterly moronic, pathetic, lacking in empathy and in pretty much everything else kind of posts here. It's evident to me that the whiners have never done a desert rally, that's for sure. Some of you ought to be ashamed of yourselves; this is not the Colosseum, these guys are not fighting to the death, it's a motor race, that's all.
  2. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the ASO has potentially shown, its not about the Dakar for them either $$$$
    stuckthrottle likes this.
  3. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    It is what it is. Dakar!
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great post.

I can't speak for others, but I know I signed up with that in mind and that the point wasn't to play russian roulette, but to use my skills and judgment and preparation and all the rest to ensure that I had a safe race. But the threat has to be there or the reward is meaningless, that is video gaming. Walking that line is what attract(ed)(s) me to these events.

The organization owes the racers a course that is possible, and to deliver the level of support they promised in advance. I think that last point is the tricky one here, they have been sued for leaving people out on the stage and they need to be clear about what they can and can't do. And if they can't, I guess they have to cancel the stage. But I agree with Ted, there is a feeling of decisions being made based on PR value rather than human values (danger is a human value in my opinion).

To me, all this talk of death is misleading. We take risks every day in life, when we get in the car, when we cross the street, etc. One day, those risks catch all of us, no one gets out alive. The Dakar is relatively dangerous, but all things are on the same continuum... and not all things have the same meaning, the same motivation, the same beauty.
  5. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com photos from stage 9 have been posted over in the Dakar Photo F5irehose, and if anything, they show us that this was a TRUE dakar stage.

#49 - ANTOINE MEO (FRA) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#303 - CARLOS SAINZ (ESP) / LUCAS CRUZ (ESP) [PEUGEOT]
    [​IMG]

#329 - MARTIN PROKOP (CZE) / JAN TOMANEK (CZE) [TOYOTA]
    #275 - EDWARD HERMAN RICHARD BARBIER (ZAF) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#327 - JAKUB PRZYGONSKI (POL) / ANDREI RUDNITSKI (BLR) [MINI]
    #501 - GERARD DE ROOY (NLD) / MOISES TORRALLARDONA (ESP) / DAREK RODEWALD (POL) [IVECO]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#35 - BRUNO DA COSTA (FRA) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#290 - DIEGO LICIO (URY) [YAMAHA]
    #288 - FREDERIC ALARD (FRA) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#321 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) / DAVID CASTERA (FRA) [PEUGEOT]
    #302 - STEPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA) [PEUGEOT]
    [​IMG]

carnage. (starts here)
  6. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    cycleworld.com

DAKAR RALLY: The Next Big Hero? The world’s toughest rally has had some great dominant riders over the years. Who’s next?

January 11, 2016 By Maria Guidotti
    Photographer : HRC Rally Team, Husqvarna Factory, KTM Factory, Red Bull, Yamaha Factory
    [​IMG]Paulo Goncalves of Team HRC Rally.

“The bike race will be interesting this year because the factory teams have at least one rider able to win,” said rally sports director Marc Coma at the start of the 38th edition of the Dakar Rally.

Coma should know: He’s a five-time winner and one of the greatest rally racers of all time. He shared the last 10 rally wins with Cyril Despres, but with both riders moving on to other things, the bike category is wide-open to a new generation of racer to emerge. This hasn’t happened since 1999, when Stephane Peterhansel switched to the car category after the record six Dakar wins on a bike. The number 1 is up for grabs and this unexpected scenario offers veterans and newcomers the possibility to shine and to Honda and Yamaha the chance to interrupt KTM’s supremacy of 14 consecutive successes.

So, who will be be the new Marc Coma? The list of the pretenders is long as the Dakar is a 14-day endurance race, and anything can happen. But Paolo Gonçalves (Honda), second in 2015 is one of the favorites: He’s experienced and consistent and can count on his powerful CRF450 Rally. Third in 2015 in his debut, Australian Toby Price (KTM) is determined, physically strong, and aboard a KTM, definitely the bike to beat.

[​IMG]2015 Dakar Rally podium: Toby Price (KTM), Marc Coma (KTM), and Paulo Goncalves (Honda).

The race so far has seen Paulo Goncalves and Toby Price neck-’n’-neck with the Honda rider leading and the Australian recovering. At the end of Stage 6 and with 2,748 miles and 23 hours racing under their belts, only 35 seconds separated Goncalves from Price!

It was a pity for Joan Barreda (Honda), the fastest rider on the Dakar, who suffered a bike problem on stage 6 and lost 1 hour and the hopes of a recovery of lost positions.

Other contenders in with a chance? Helder Rodrigues (Yamaha), Jordi Viladoms (KTM), Olivier Pain (KTM), or Ruben Faria (Husqvarna) have already climbed on the final podium, but watch out also for Matthias Walkner (KTM) and Alessandro Botturi (Yamaha), despite the Italian is racing with an injured wrist.

And while there is no doubt rider talent plays a huge role, each brand’s team philosophy also has a huge influence on success in this difficult race.

[​IMG]Toby Price of KTM Factory Team.

KTM
    The brand to beat. Successful since 2001, the KTM 450 Rally counts 14 victories on a row and last year conquered the rally in the hands of Coma. In Coma’s absence, the Austrian Manufacturer lined up four strong riders: Toby Price (third last year in his debut); veteran Jordi Viladoms (second in 2014); 2015 cross country world champion Matthias Walkner and five-time enduro world champion French Meo. Multiple trial world champion Laia Sanz, ninth last year, races on a satellite team, but with Factory Support. The KTM philosophy is simple: Line four super strong riders and a wildcard (Meo in this case), who doesn’t have specific team orders. It works.

[​IMG]Ricky Brabec of Team HRC Rally.

Honda
    On this fourth attempt, Team HRC Rally aims at winning and to accomplish the mission has reorganized its structure and uses two ace riders supported by two “waterboys,” Paolo Ceci and Michael Metge. The waterboys’ role is to be fast and consistent and have mechanical skills in order to support the leaders in their attempt to win. Honda is definitely planning for the future by fostering new talent, in this case Californian Ricky Brabec in his debut with the factory team. At only 24, he has already captured the three most prestigious titles in US desert racing, winning in 2014 the Hare & Hound, Best in the Desert and SCORE International, as well as the legendary races Baja 250, Baja 500 and Baja 1000. At his debut on the Dakar he showed already his potential with a very good performance and a superb 14th place in the general standings after six of 13 stages.

[​IMG]Helder Rodrigues of Yamaha Factory Team.

Yamaha
    The WR450F Rally has been completely re-designed. The new bike has four fuel tanks instead of one for a better weight distribution and has become more balanced and agile. The team features experienced Helder Rodrigues (a Dakar podium finisher in 2011 and 2012), and the determined Italian Botturi. Both ride the new bike, while Adrien van Beveren and Xavier de Soultrait ride the 2015 version.

[​IMG]Ruben Faria of Husqvarna Factory Team.

Husqvarna
    The bike is a “clone” of the KTM squad’s and Ruben Faria as the strongest rider. MX2 World Champion Pela Renet got his factory debut this year after finishing fourth in 2015 as a privateer. Chilean Pablo Quintanilla comes into the 2016 Dakar with a new bike after a fantastic international season. His profound knowledge of the South American terrains is a big plus in such an extreme race. In the Junior team also Italian Jacopo Cerruti, winner of the Dakar Challenge 2015. Unfortunately for Husqvarna, Renet crashed and was transported in helicopter on Stage 4, while Faria, who was showing a strong performance had to withdrawn in Bolivia on Stage 6 as he crashed and fractured his wrist.
  7. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Good job kaia and yardracer:clap

Get this train back on the rails
    sick_boy, yardracer and kaia like this.
  8. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My underdog watch now goes to Helder.
  9. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who has found pics of Kees Koolen's quad hanging from a helicopter? He was being recovererd but the heli couldn't gain height and 'automaticly' dropped his quad...

10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    for the non-Dutchies

Bastiaan: "Driving this morning was truly superb. Nice route, lots of sand and nice and heavy. The quad did fantastic. But at one point I saw Mike. With a broken gearbox as became clear quickly. The block was devastated. After that I was trying to drag Kees but could not. Later there came a helicopter that tried to rescue the quad Kees. It was very difficult to confirm the 'tow rope at the bottom of the helicopter. Later, when we had a longer cable, the helicopter pilot tried again. He got the quad up but at some point the helicopter could take it no more. At such a time the ballast is automatically disconnected. The quad was already hanging about 50 meters in the air when it thundered down. The quad have landed on four wheels, but the rear axle broke off. Kees can finally stops. At that time I drove on but now I'm out of gas. In the hot sun, the gas is likely to evaporate spontaneously because I'm sure I've done the tanks completely full. I am now waiting for a helicopter that will carry gasoline. Now I have to hang up quickly because the helicopter is coming. Who is looking for me because he is circling around. I'll try again later or to call again. I must now try to move forward. "
  11. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    goodcat likes this.
  12. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com - Inside the Dakar Stage 9 - Loeb - Elena

Top Moment (related)

13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    goodcat likes this.
  14. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mechanical help on a marathon stage ? Or has something been lost in translation ?
  15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    That's the question.....:confused:hmmmmm
  16. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:

-
    GINIEL
    DE
    VILLIERS

“A typical Dakar stage”

[​IMG]“I'm a little bit disappointed that they stopped the stage because we were going quite nicely. We had a puncture after about fifty kilometres, so we had to stop and change the tyre. But after that we just tried to concentrate and stay at a good rhythm and make the right decisions in all the navigation place, because, for sure, the stage was very, very difficult. It was a very hard stage, a typical Dakar stage. We went well, so for us it was disappointing that they stopped the stage, but in a way there will be a good reason for that, so we look forward to tomorrow”.
  17. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com

X-raid team boss Sven Quandt has admitted he was baffled by Dakar officials' decision to stop the ninth stage of the event on Tuesday due to the heat.
    The planned 285-km special was shortened because of what organisers deemed were dangerous weather conditions, meaning the day ended at the fourth way point.

Speaking to Motorsport.com, Quandt argued: "We ran at an altitude of 4000 meters (in Bolivia), an altitude that is dangerous for people because they lose responsiveness - and now we stop because the temperatures are very high.

"We didn't stop with the altitude, but we stop with the the heat. It's funny. I do not know what to say.

"The organisation has decided but it's not normal to stop the Dakar," he added.

Peugeot's Carlos Sainz was declared the winner of the stage after P4. X-raid's top driver Nasser Al-Attiyah, meanwhile, finished down in fifth position, having led the early part of the stage.

The Qatari is over 14 minutes behind Sainz in the standings and Quandt said his chances of victory are slim.

"It looks very difficult because we are 14 minutes behind the leader," he added. "But everything can happen in the coming days. It is not known because it is a difficult Dakar."

Rally-like route "to help others win"
    Quandt was also critical of the first week of competition, which he reckons was designed to help Peugeot.

"Normally there are more curves, more complicated roads, but those first stages were straight lines and we did not have the same power as the Peugeots.

"We are better in open roads and jumps.

"This looks more [designed] to help others to win after we've won for four years [in a row]."
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    and while we're at it

The X-raid team has announced it will be appealing against the Dakar Rally stewards' decision not to penalise Stephane Peterhansel.
    X-raid lodged a protest against Peterhansel after Monday's stage, stating that the Peugeot driver was not allowed to refuel his car in the non-timed zone.

However, after a day of deliberations, the Dakar stewards cleared Peterhansel of wrongdoing - and their decision will now be challenged by X-raid.

A statement by the team reads: "The Stewards have made a decision regarding the protest, which we do not agree with.

"This is why we have decided to appeal this decision as per our rights in the sporting regulations and the FIA International Sporting Code, and will take our case to the ASN [National Sporting Authority] , the FFSA [Federation Francaise du Sport Automobile], National Court of Appeals."

Should the stewards' decision be reversed, Peterhansel could face exclusion from the event.

The Frenchman currently sits second to teammate Carlos Sainz, while X-raid's leading Mini drivers Nasser Al-Attiyah and Mikko Hirvonen are third and fourth respectively.
    homerj and goodcat like this.
  19. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Seriously folks everyone take a deep breath.

There is some absolute nonsense being said, blame placed without facts, people discredited blatantly without any consideration of their experience or knowledge, name calling, suicidal consignment....

Seriously this is the F5 thread and I understand speculation is at its very core but there is a lot of uselessness being slung even by my standards.

We still don't fully know what happened today nor how it will be dealt with.
    Fat lady has not sung yet and that is the bottom line.

Please lets keep this thread the best place for this kind of talk anywhere
    DudaRO, Brtp4, stuckthrottle and 10 others like this.
  20. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    another post about mechanics helping on the marathon stage? was the marathon stage also canceled because of the heat?

what in the world is going on?