2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    I can't make up my mind on the decision to shorten this stage. I'm concerned for the safety, but I also believe that, if you are not up to the task (both mechanically or physically) you should end in the withdrawal list, obviously alive :hmmmmm ASO politics aside, this is the weirdest Dakar I can remember :loco I also feel the "moral winner" is Toby, provided he doesn't have any trouble, and I hope he finnish first this year. He seems a good guy, besides a great rider :thumb
  2. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    I have to admit.....there are a few unexplained and weird occurrances that happened today that are a little disturbing.
    But I aint there so I'll just keep on cheering forToby Price KTM team victories
    rickmdz and Rato Molhado like this.
  3. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    beechum1 and ferals5 like this.
  4. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And there's the "we" shit that grates, again. "We" did not get a little bit lost; "we" did not find the WP and get "ourselves" back on track; "We" will not suit up again.

S T U P I D !!!!!

But Dayum, he's fast!!!!
    bigborefan likes this.
  5. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    eag
    Ok, so I caught up and came back to this.

There's a lot been said whilst I've been asleep and the majority of it good and all relevant, it's just that with anything in life there are two sides, or more!

So "we" had the Perfect Storm - an "easy" reduced first week that was thrown together at short notice as the planned first days in the Peruvian dunes was cancelled (don't ask Matthias, Rubén or JBB though on the easy week though) many more amateurs stil in than expected, later start times back in the field because of the 3 mins - should they have started earlier? - excessive heat, too many developing risks that could break the assistance, elite riders performing and amateurs not (no real surprise there) and much much more I'm sure - oh and Speedy.

This was not set up or manipulated to help him or HRC - he either crashed and damaged the bike, or was unlucky to damage the bike - for all the potential consequences his coin landed on the edge and has still to topple one way or the other. He decided to get the bike back before any call was made on the stage neutralisation and I'm sure (like it or not for the cynics) that Speedy and HRC were not paramount in Coma's thoughts when the stage was stopped - just the consequence of circumstances - there were many (and always are) and we are focused on one.

Speedy has an opportunity, but still has to take it - 11pm in the bivvy on a marathon stage (with no outside assistance) he has to swop or rebuild an engine, swop a radiator and save/find coolant (I don't think HRC designed to bike to run on collective piss) - if he achieves it then he has played the cards he was dealt with and fair play to him - he didn't deal them, as did non or the other riders including Toby.

So he will be penalised 15 mins if he achieves it (assuming it's an engine swop) - Toby still needs to ride his race to win - Kevin is close, Toby just has to manage his advantageous position - no one was going to hand him the trophy with 4 stages to go and say "there you go mate you deserve it" - he has to earn it for the full race - both JBB and Chaleco know that!

Just saying though, the interview with Marc was interesting in that he was glad they called a stop at cp2 - so later we revert to cp 1 times !!!!

Is a call to be made after the fact that the marathon stage too has been cancelled:hmmmmm:loco:confused

Just for my Ozzie mates all I can say is "Duckworth Lewis"! :beer:freaky:thumb
  6. garfey

Oddometer:
    Or maybe your left, but definitely not both!
    beechum1 likes this.
  7. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer when I posted that I was thinking of you :rofl:rofl:rofl
  8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not very good at imagining conspiracies. As somebody stated a red flag is not that uncommon in motor sports and there are always winners and losers. Can't know all the reasons unless you're there. By the way, we never did find out what Andy Grider was going to tell us a few years ago about that other conspiracy.

At the end of the day: Only one rider has the race to loose with almost a half hour to second place. Toby is the only rider displaying definite signs of alien nature but others such as Walkner, Meo, Brabec, Benavides, and Quintanilla have the potential with time. Relative old-timers like Svitko, Speedy, and Faria still have game. Speedy has done about as well as predicted before the race - the best HRC brought to the game and could have been good for the win without today's mishap. But, as others have alluded, maybe the young guns are pushing the old-timers so hard that they are forced into running in the red zone too often and F5hit happens. Bang Bang did not disappoint. Sylvain Espinasse #111 on a little 125cc Husky two-stroke carries on without a single speed penalty (no surprise) and is ahead of seven other riders.

Peugeot and Mini have a race going on between Sainz and Al-Attiyah. Gordinis are going to need an upgrade to be competitive or the restrictor plate size in the rules needs to be enlarged to compete against the smokers. Creed did amazing for somebody that can barely buy cigarettes and it was good to have Jonah back.

See y'all tomorrow. :beer
  9. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    I agree, it's a really crappy situation... with all the blood, sweat and tears that man has put in....I was really hoping this would (finally) be his year.

That doesn't mean the rest haven't put in a ton of time, effort, money, sacrifices...... watching him sit in the sand and cry while his bike burned to a crisp just broke my heart.
    AteamNM and Rato Molhado like this.
  10. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Well played sir. :kat

Oh and the other stuff was spot on too :thumb
    Safariaddict likes this.
  11. garfey

Oddometer:
    No, you're wrong and nothing anyone can say is likely to convince you otherwise. The riders/drivers make a choice to enter and whatever happens is on them, and no one else. A hundred years from now, how many of the people killed during the race (so far, best I can tell, all of whom should have had better sense than to have been where they were at the time), or any race, will be "remembered?" I'll answer that for you because it's likely you still have your "social conscience blinders" on, while grazing on sprouts and other such rabbit food . . . . . . . NONE! Nor will you. Nor will I. And guess what - that's the way it is and will be, forever, ad infinitum. It just ain't important in the bigger picture.

Pretty obvious to me who the fool is.

Have a great life in your dream bubble, fostered, I'm guessing, by idjits who spent waaay to much time in or near the "Ivory Towers" who fill their rice bowls by writing bullshit and selling it to fools who are hungry for bullshit, especially if it seems to give them, the buyers of the bullshit, a way to fill their rice bowls without having to get out of their PJs - simply write more bullshit.
  12. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Don't get stuff from this thread put into the basement. Please.
  13. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Someone needs sleep or food or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    theantipaul and WIsixfitty like this.
  14. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if Iam reading this right temp low 20's (Celsius) and chance of some light rain...and Toby knows how to ride sand ..

by Jebus we are going to see some speed from that man today.............just sayin
  15. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    +1
  16. crozz

crozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forget the cherry ripes. go get a snickers!
    cheekorollo and Gimme 2 like this.
  17. garfey

Oddometer:
    No. Human lives are worth exactly nothing except to those who depend on them to fill their rice bowls.
    There are millions born each day, many fewer that depart, and that's the biggest problem any of us, alive today, face.

Pure sociological BS.

Go buy a K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig and learn how to use it.
    Screamingeagle3 likes this.
  18. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Incredible ride. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/yamaha-tw200-to-the-south-pole.478769/

Anyone have the non-conspiracy theorist answer to this question? For conspiracy theorists, what do the economics of the race look like with and without Honda? Seems to be doing just fine without BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha (sorry Yamaha) and Suzuki.

Frankly, I have a great deal less experience with rallying and fire hoses than most of the folks posting but the following things seem true to me.

1. This race is different than last year.
    2. This race has fewer withdrawals than prior years' races.
    3. The plans for this year's race were scrambled a bit because of Peru withdrawing.
    4. Experienced folks disagree about how the last stage was handled.
    5. Safety is paramount but the point of this race is to walk closer to the edge than every other race.
    6. Neither Price nor Speedy had any control over what happened on today's stage.
    7. Price is probably a very clever and extremely advanced robot built in the Australian outback out of cherry ripes, baling wire and the word "fuck."
    8. Speedy isn't winning this race, although he may still come in first.
    9. Dakar is a race that requires good luck to win.
    10. Luck comes in many different forms.

From there you can take it many different places. Wherever you end up, I think you have to respect all of the competitors for doing their best and taking their Dakar luck as it comes. For me, I'll still be hitting F5 furiously as the snowball thunders on ahead of me; rooting for a safe finish to the race for everyone, whether tomorrow or on the 16th.
  19. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worked way too much today so had to catch up through 15 - 20 pages tonight.

I honestly think it's pretty impressive... smart people with varied experiences (more than I) coming from different perspectives and having a passionate, but reasoned discussion 95% of the time. Compared to the rest of the internets we're doing pretty good.

Unfortunately I think the same thing is happening to Dakar, even way down there, that is happening to most of us in most aspects of our lives. Everything... and by that I mean pretty much everything, is being managed for us. Most of us who ride motorized vehicles have been managed out, or will soon be managed out of places we used to ride. The trend *will* continue. It's even happening to those of us who ride two wheeled non-motorized vehicles in many places. And that's just in our recreational worlds. The risks, and in many cases not even risks, just decisions, are being managed out of everything we do. Want to paint your doghouse? Hmmmm... sorry, did you check with your federal/state/local/neighborhood officials? Want to start a business? Good luck.

Eventually the system will be so top-heavy and overloaded with management that it will break.

And then we can ride motorbikes and have fun again.

:( :-)
  20. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Price...built...of baling wire, cherry ripes and the word "fuck""

You forgot to mention how good a bloke he is! ( and he is by the way )

Great thread, i am getting all my dakar fix from f5, thanks contributors
    Hoots and Clancy like this.