2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. crozz

crozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My view on this. Putting aside the reasons for calling off the stage; They should give the riders who did not complete a section the time of the slowest rider that did. So - whoever was the slowest rider CP1-CP2, all those that were not able to complete before the stage was cancelled get that time. And again for CP2-ASS. All riders who did not complete get the slowest time of the rider that did. It rewards the riders that finished.
    husqvarna, Carlos M, Deadly99 and 3 others like this.
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This part of the crowd lost interest a few days ago and any interest remaining was pretty much killed off this morning. The whole 2016 Dakar, to date, is, and has been, a bad joke, a quantum leap below the ever-increasing level of media-hungry, all-for-the-6-o'clock-news-and-our-paying-sponsors farce it's been becoming since I got hooked in 2010. banksy_boring_appreciation.jpg

NO! No, No, No, No, No!!!!!

ASO have destroyed Dakar, methodically and intentionally, thinking only of their bottom line and damn the consequences. Dakar has become the big brother of Stupidcross - same track no matter where it is, same highly paid kids doing stupid McGrath showoff "tricks," same overpriced tickets to the same overpriced venue, same race every week.

None of that should be interpreted as meaning I will not be up at 3A, fumbling around to get the displays set while trying to catch up with the Vampire posts while the coffee pot does its thing, hungering for a scrap of information re what's going on on piste, or in the bivvy, or in some contestant's doG run. :D

For tonight, fuck it; I'm going to bed and I'm gonna fall asleep watching Lonesome Dove, which I did not watch a few days ago because I fell asleep in the chair before I could load it.

Fingers crossed that the bad taste in my mouth will be forgotten in the next 4 days because the racing was worthy of my time, just "watching."

G'night, all.
    nry, bananaman and AteamNM like this.
  3. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Some hours later we still know nothing more, yet;

lots of folks are hating on Gonk for having luck smile on him
    (remember when he got left in the mud, when he helped a fallen rider, when his bike burned etc)
    lots of folks are looking at this as some conspiracy theory involving HRC and ASO
    (remember when KTM trucks were allowed to leave the bivuac before anyone else via back exit, had special course books way ahead of time etc)
    lots of folks are worried about this somehow messing with Toby's ride
    (remember how made the podium on his maiden Dakar, how he won the stage by opening piste and jumping dunes etc)

:imaposer
  4. Safariaddict

Safariaddict Safari 2010 FINISHED

Oddometer:
    ( WE ) thinks you need a lie down and a becks ( headache tablet ) or cherry ripe
    Simosez, keepshoveling and lurkin like this.
  5. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    You overlooked my point being that ( the Org) having their Dakar human race participants alive are far more valuable to the competition of a race then killing them off. Sorry if I touched a darker and deeper rooted nerve and log duplex psycho babble?
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  6. crozz

crozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is why the Dakar is so special. The Africa rally's were extra special in the sheer sense of being away from being overly regulated. It was more or less a case of fend for yourself against the elements. Rules were arbitrary, and often overlooked. The move to South America has lessened that magic - but it is still there. I think we all realize it is slowing slipping away, but we are hanging on to it for as long as we can.
  7. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    If I was god, I'd start the 13 that finished with the 10 cars and trucks, after that I already have a bad feeling it will be screwed up.

As far as everything else goes, is this just another race or is it Dakar, do racers take extraordinary chances for just another race? Or is Dakar somehow special?

Along those lines then, and all the safety concerns studied, how could the race directors possibly allow Scott Bright to race in the Dakar. Is he one tough SOB, damn right, but he's risking way more then about anyone else as soon as he twists that throttle. Some would say too risky, others wouldn't think twice.

So this I think would exemplify personal risk and responsibility, just ask Scott, why is he there? I'll bet you his answer would be "it's Dakar". Enough said.
  8. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    I look at us on this site some bitching ,moaning degenerating and conspiring sitting on our chairs in air con or some kind of comfort totally detached from these mortals were watching far away , really risking their lifes in a completely benign atmosphere .For what .? Who knows ... That's their thing. Back seat drivers whatever , im guilty!
    It amazes me ,the calmness of these people out there after they've done their ride of pain , sapped , both mentally an physically then talk in up to 3 different languages for us to listen in on and judge. While they could be off resting and regathering. True gentle men and ladies in my book.
    I would be like " right Gotta go !"
    When only patience and creativity are exhausted .... Hello ANGER!!
    DAKAR must be an attempt at exhausting every possible part of the human which is an attempt in making us stronger in every way , surly it is!
    Its life in a nutshell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nry and 640 Armageddon like this.
  9. Spark Plug

Spark Plug Low on compression

Oddometer:
    "Garfeyhategate"?
  10. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't blame Gonk. He had no control over the circumstances today. Toby really showed some spirit today and showed he is definitely the man to beat. I wonder how things will unfold from here on out. I am looking forward to whatever tomorrow brings.
    Rato Molhado and Gimme 2 like this.
  11. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    of all the times.....my cable decided to go out on me...............:becca:baldy:shoot
  12. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Brisbane courier mail, starting to get a mention! Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a brighter note, I think Despres did outstanding today. He seems to really have improved a lot since last year.
    HumphreyBear likes this.
  14. johnBOYhenson

johnBOYhenson rallye intern

Oddometer:
    yo, all my usa homey's.... there's an american (from the USA) in the top ten!!!

ok, to all the rest of you...... stop upsetting Garfey! we don't want him to wad-it-up and loose his race pace!
  15. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite

Water can be used for coolant .. minimal oil loss can be topped from dead motor.. not hard to do probably 2- 4 hrs
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  16. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Lots of posts to slog through today.

So, can anyone tell me if there's an actual race going on, or is this all just Parked Motorcycle Season hormonal cramping?
  17. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    whoooo boy. I finally get back on and it's turned into CS&M in here.

Did the org screw up? Very likely; they knew this was supposed to be a ball breaker stage, but they don't seem to have prepared properly to deal with it.
    • Additional helos,
    • helos flying water out to stalled stage competitors,
    • lots of ice and shade at the CPs,
    • several more CPs,
    • medical personnel at the CPs to give the competitors a once over before letting them continue,
    • get rid of the stage close time for the first part of the marathon,
    • the only time you have to meet is the close time tomorrow.
    • Shortcut routes that incur a huge penalty for those that feel the wheels are starting to come off the cart.

I don't know, something, anything other than shutting it down at CP1. What I do know is lack of preparation caused them to miss an opportunity to have a an old school, epic, "Africa" type stage where riders and cars don't come until until after day break and they tell stories of sleeping next to their machines in the night then they grab some eggs and bacon, and get right back on the machine and head out for the 2nd half of the marathon. Instead they have this, and this isn't good.

I'm excited that Gonk is back in the race, but I don't think it was stage managed. He's just finally had a bit of good luck. That said, if he won I do think it would taint his victory. I'm sure he would cry himself to sleep each night with the thought that some internet warriors think his victory is tainted.
  18. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Of interest to me, there is the same conversation happening in a spanish forum at the same time. About the spirit of dakar.
    garfey, nry, CBVRacing and 3 others like this.
  19. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see Toby Price shining through all of this. I hope he keeps it up.
  20. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    That
    640 Armageddon likes this.