2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    yes yes...we know
    beechum1 and VxZeroKnots like this.
  2. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Ricky Brabec got a nice piece on Eurosport today, he's getting recognized. Go Ricky! :pynd
  3. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ummm...

Before we all get our knickers in a twist about ASO taking stage 9 times from CP1 and how unfair it is, maybe we should trundle over and take a peak at dakar.com:

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/stage-1000/rankings/scratch-bikes.html#ancre

It looks like the first 12 finishers times will stand as they were at the ASS. Other competitors get a derived time, starting with Gonk who's +31.56 for stage 9. He'll also get a 15 min penalty added later (presuming he swapped his engine with a water carrier last night). This will put him at 6th in the over all.

He's going to have a tough time getting on the podium now, but this is Dakar. Anything can happen.

As for TP, he's got a nice lead now, just on 29 mins to Svitko.

Go Toby!
  4. Vacman

Vacman Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer:
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet people who loved them will remember them, as will the drivers who accidentally hit and killed them. And the Chinese lady will always remember drifting into a crowd of fans and the horrible crunch of bodies bouncing off of her MINI. That stuff doesn't go away easily.

It sounds like you've taken this Dakar thing a bit personal...its just a race, ffs. If they hadn't shortened the stage and right now they had more stranded people than they could help and another rider died from the heat like last year, would that make things better because it was the "real Dakar?" As long as it wasn't a front runner, right? "Sorry Mrs. Cork, but your husband shouldn't have been doing Dakar if he wasn't planning on dying. Too bad he couldn't ride like Toby Price...he'd still be alive today."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RussellM and rickmdz like this.
  5. VRRR1

VRRR1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the name for " Toby Price must win everyone else can die " mentality ?
  6. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, the Fuckworth Lewis method :jack

Will explain to our merican cousins (north and south) and Euros one day - or just google Duckwoth Lewis + cricket
    husqvarna, cheekorollo and Simosez like this.
  7. mulgathumper

mulgathumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank F5uck for that.
    Hoots, chug1 and Woody2627 like this.
  8. ssason

ssason Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe 205, but regarding to Laias twitter posts, she seems to be pissed about cutting Stage 9....
    tatterhood, Iron Horse and Deadly99 like this.
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    +++ 1 :clap:clap:clap

Here here... well spoken sir (amongst the best posts of the evening) and so in keeping with the spirit of what Arthduro most eloquently wrote; :deal

F5 MODERATOR ADVISORY NOTE: attention all who bathe in the f5irehose

I have been going back through the f5irehose this evening to update cliffnotes

There were far too many posts to single out or send PM's to... so I came up with this approach.

I lost count of the number of time I read posts - where the majority of the content, was merely a reaction to someone elses comments - RARELY any new information - merely derogatory comments about someone elses viewpoint, or a just "leg humping" affirmation of someone elses OPINION. - often with some sort of obscenity to ram home the gravity of ones displeasure and give it some weight.

Now usually I am pretty hard to ruffle... and "we" (thank's Toby) try to keep it pretty informal around here. Many of us - myself included - drop the occassional f5%k word or similar, for dramatic effect or to show our dissapproval of something or another... but! the DAKAR threads and RACING forum are not CS&M or JoMamma and personal attacks will not be permitted.

So please, (and note:this is the first time I have ever "brought out the big stick"...) from here on in, let us all behave in a civil manner - voice your opinions, debate vigorously, write with passion humour, support and despair by all means, in regards to this great "happening" by all means. But let's all take a breath... like Arthduro so poingnantly suggested... and enjoy the rest of F5 DAKAR.

Please try to make any contributions - be they critical or positive, in a constructive, civil manner.

Any repeated incidence of personal attacks here in RACING or else where AND THE OFFENDERS WILL BE GONE... PERMANENTLY.

I hope I have made myself crystal clear.

A copy of this has been sent downstairs to the moderators/admins - so everyone is on notice officially.

Thank you,

Troy Carpenter
  10. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="

and enjoy the rest of F5 DAKAR.

[/QUOTE]

Good talk.

Thanks to all 'F5' participants.

back to heavy lurking

:drink
    K_N_Fodder likes this.
  11. too old

Oddometer:
    Ok - as we move on, does anyone know what has been going on in the bivvy or with the marathon principles??

Regarding Gonk that is :D
  12. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @too old I think some were getting confused as the Marathon bivvy was only for the bikes and quads. The cars and Trucks are in a separate bivvy and it's service as normal for those guys. Some of the quotes and press releases about repairing cars and trucks had people questioning the 'no assistance' rules, without realising marathon rules didn't apply to those guys.

However, Honda's PR did have a quote indicating that 'we' would be working on the bike to get it shiny and new for today's racing that read like the mechanics would be crawling over it... but I think that may have just been a miss quote. I expect we'll be seeing footage of Gonk and some poor Honda water carrier on the tools doing an engine swap in today's coverage.

One thing that's not been cleared up is if it's under parc ferme procedures in bike / quad bivvy, but I guess we'll know when we see Gonk in a servo with the tanks off his bike, chewing on a Cherry Ripe whilst Ceci tearfully knocks out his swingarm pivot.
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Consensus ... ?
    Brtp4, RussellM and HumphreyBear like this.
  14. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    According to Dakar site the Top Ten set off together on today's stage, that has got to favour Toby, he can just let them go and then follow closely.
  15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understood that the first marathon stage was parc ferme and this second one was simply no help from support. Riders can work on their bikes all night if they want and get assistance from other competitors. That's what I remember but got the information here and not official sources.
  16. too old

Oddometer:
    I thinks that's correct, I just was just "interested" (desperate) to know what was happening and if this was still in place considering the events of yesterday? :thumb
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  17. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    I reckon the Gonk is only doing what anyone who wants to win dakar would do. He might not even have to take an engine change penalty. Anything can still happen to Toby Price as he himself is always at pains to point out. He could blow a donk tomorrow or come-a-gutsa somewhere in those dunes. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Now, who is in the Bivvy that we can info from tonight?
    Rato Molhado and Gimme 2 like this.
  18. rock_bottom

rock_bottom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it will be so simple, from what I understand there will be quads, trucks and cars kicking up dust at the same time. I would think you would want to try and remain ahead of that chaos.
  19. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Lets just say.. he's probly not getting much ZZzzzz time.
    Hope to see him at the startline, even if he is swiss cheese like from death eyes burning holes thru him:lol3
  20. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what time the next wave will set off after the top 25 cars boiks and trucks??