2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    =[​IMG]

Australia ???? Australia ???? Ehhhh,,,, that way ………….
    Safariaddict likes this.
  2. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. sidewayz_control

sidewayz_control Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly...

More interpretation of the rules, :scratch what is considered the "Top End" on the bike? :confused Head only? (headgasket and up) or does it include the cylinder an piston also?:hmmmmm

On a car the Top End is the head, camshaft, rockers intake etc... everything above the head gasket Bottom End is the engine block or case, crank connecting rod and pistons.

And then there is this :dunno

Ivan
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  4. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:

I'm fairly new to this game, been following for only a few years, and only two weeks out of the year.... As I understand it the desert elefants were originally used, or perhaps soon after their inception, for support for different teams to "avoid penalties" for outside assistance. Is this a correct, simple explanation for why this class even exists?
  5. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:

doesn't look good for Zahn....
  6. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    :clap

RumRunner likes this.
  7. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats happened to Malcolm Smiths son?
  8. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Corky made it to WP3 :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    keepshoveling, tart, Deadly99 and 3 others like this.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    He finished in [currently] 30th place today - going well...

Jx
  10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    TVP is on
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  11. slime

slime Healing nicely

Oddometer:
  12. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Howdy B-Rod! Not this N. American! I was a young pup in Paris in 1979 for work, and accidentally wandered through a big group of offroad looking bikes with numbers on them near the Arc de Triomphe and asked one of the riders what was the event, and he said it was the start of the Paris-Dakar and explained it. I've been a Dakar Rally Tragic fan ever since, even though news of the race in the USA was mostly nonexistent for most of it's history. I had to ask my large French family to send me status of the race as best they could, before the age of internet, email, texting, twitter, and cell phones.
  13. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    It's a pretty standard concept provided engines have typical construction. Head and cylinder(s) lift off the case, piston comes with it and that is your top end. Normally you can get the conrod out also. To get the crank out you have to split the case and that is your bottom end.

Newer bikes (BMW R1200 water-cooled) and cars (Porsche and I think Subaru) have cylinders integral to the block which complicates this concept, but I don't think that applies to any 450cc bikes.
    Carlos M and 640 Armageddon like this.
  14. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    So you are one of the African veterans :thumb at least in this keyboard racing :D
  15. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Not looking good for the 125...

Capture.PNG
  16. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Short answer,support trucks appeared were there from the start of Dakar history and boys been boys the fastest one had bragging rights ,,, so it was decided to make it a racing class,,,,,,, so then , of course, you had to have trucks supporting the “racing support” trucks :imaposer. Someone hear will no doubt have the correct timeline but Troy’s air-conditioned revolving door thing is the real deal :photog
  17. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    According to his fb, he was seen past WP4, but timings are not updated, it seems...
    Lobster Grrl, ferals5 and yardracer like this.
  18. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    Sainz is in. Finally. Six hours down.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Robby has been a bit of a wild card over the years, often doing very well and a top contender until something went wrong. Extreme hot and cold performances with eventually either the wheels coming off or the nut behind the wheel going off. The suspense is always, will this be the year for Robby when there is no "If only ..."

Many of the previous years are still available. Scroll down to the bottom to see how it went. Just fiddle with the year and rider number for the right web address. Works for any multi-Dakar competitor.

This year for Robby has been fairly abysmal similar to 2014 http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/rider/305.html

Last year he made six stages in the top ten http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2015/us/rider/308.html

In 2013 he likely would have been on the podium if only ... he didn't have two REALLY bad stages. http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/rider/315.html

Another likely podium finish in 2012 if only .... Things were going quite well until they didn't http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2012/us/rider/303.html

Deja vu - Robby's 2012 competitor summary. Humility? Not the Robby I know.

Perhaps calmed by his past few disappointing experiences on the Dakar, including an embarrassing retirement last year on stage four due to a poorly tightened wheel bearing, Robby Gordon enters the 2012 Dakar with a lot more humility than in the past. Third on the 2009 Dakar, he knows all too well he cannot afford a mistake or a mechanical incident. Nevertheless, the goal remains the same: win the Dakar at the wheel of his Hummer H3. To do this, the truculent American admits he has to get through the opening week without a problem before attacking.

What's the definition of crazy again?
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  20. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    dang...Rosa looks tired....