2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:

WE went that way!

STOKED
  2. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:

Retensioned power-band??
    Gasman_ADV likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Great re-cap... awesome to see the bikes on some real terrain finally...

The ASO really threw their cameras out at that stage... together with the (abbreviated) SS9, SS10 will likely make up about 70% of the footage that will be used/viewed in future, to "remember" the 2016 DAKAR.
  4. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    You missed 2005 (?) "I'd have won the Stage if I didn't have to pass the Flux Capacitor from my Toureg off to that German Frau, Jutta Kleinschmidt!!! Why previous winners deserve water carriers is beyond me!"

Ten years later, RG stated: "That's where this whole VW Dieselgate started!"

I made that last bit up....

Though I think the VW gig was the first bite of Dakar that RG felt, I wonder who approached who? He'll keep trying, he loves the attention and I love the sound of a "Proper" Murican V-8!
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  5. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    If the tracker means anything...

Sylvain on the 125cc still out there and not on the Withdrawals list. Any news on him?

#369 Electric car also not on the Withdrawals list, any hope there?
  6. mulgathumper

mulgathumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kevin Benavides has impressed me the most. Similar to Toby Price last year, he is not even on a factory bike and kicking factory ass and hunting hard for a podium... despite being on a Honda.
    Ricky Brabec, and especially Meo deserve honorable mentions as well for their first attempt at Dakar. All are certain to get Factory rides next year.. and with the experience gained this year are certain to be podium contenders in 2017. Without Ricky and Kevin, the Honda shame would be total. Any of these blokes could be at the level of Toby next year.

How do you describe the performance of Toby Price?
    I was certain that he would be near the front at the end, if misfortune did not accompany him...however his effort so far beggars belief. How the hell can he nail the Nav so well with so little experience? You would have to think that he would get pretty lost at least once while opening the track, but he has opened the road TWICE now and won the stage! Is this due to the "not the real Dakar" type stages?..or is he just exceptional?
    In his words "anything can happen..still no guarantees".. he could do a Gonc type get-off and get hurt, or a piston could try a low earth orbit. If that did happen and he gets a DNF, it won't detract from an impressive ride in the 2016 Dakar.
  7. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I hope he makes it in!
  8. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And we’ve got plenty more like him out here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well,, maybe not quite plenty BUT a fare few ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, would you believe another 1 or 2 :fpalm.

Toby’s speed was never an issue but his Nav is well , Alien ???. Maybe it was an advantage rather than a disadvantage that he did not do any of the navigation events here in Australia as our road book is very different,,,,one of the reasons given why no foreign rider has every won our Safari ( Dakar type race ) :cromag. He has just !!! had to learn the international (…. French :baldy ) one. Anyway WE aren’t there yet , a few more sleep deprived nights yet :*sip*
  9. coak

coak Addicted to Rally Racing!

Oddometer:
    Could it be that the 3-minute intervals is between the 'waves' of vehicles? (otherwise, there is no such wave to speak of)i
    i recall that last year Toby made a number of small nav errors but he was fine with it and refused to just follow tracks (and not navigate himself) as 2015 was his year to learn the ropes
  10. Weldr

Weldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is Svitko's 7th Dakar, he finished 5th last year
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  11. wasabi46

wasabi46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oufff just finished the whole recap from yesterday, no to to follow on F5.

So this year you only get the real results one/two days after depending on how ASO decides penalties. Mixed feelings regarding Gonk, being a fan I am happy he is still in, love the grit, sad to see him out of contention and somewhat relieved he is not wining with all the "administrative" stuff that happened. Next year...

Toby and Kevin are doing a really great job, Kevin not being HRC is proving that actually not being HRC can be an advantage :imaposer go Honda SA

I really do hope they get this o be more navigation than Baja, not sure how old aliens would have done this year
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  12. mulgathumper

mulgathumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :-) Yeah, so it is.. sorry, he wasn't supposed to be in that sentence. I'll have to cop a 15 minute penalty for the sentence change :D Svitko's doing OK just the same.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  13. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say huge thank to all the posters and the mods. Many of us with lesser time are spectating through the cliff notes thread. The coverage and commentary has been awesome. Keep it coming, and thanks again.
    keepshoveling and 640 Armageddon like this.
  14. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I have to admit - i've never been a huge Dakar follower.

I can't even walk on sand let alone ride on it so i've struggled to relate with what these guys and girls are doing.

This year however - i've really enjoyed every bit of it.

Thanks for the constant updates from the knowledgeable inmates we have here. :thumb
    kaia, Rato Molhado, Clancy and 4 others like this.
  15. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Good to see another convert...we'll expect you around the clock next year nev :D
  16. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Haha, going to bed at 2am and up again at 6am isn't enough already? :lol3
  17. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Err no:deal harden up noob :lol3
  18. tatterhood

tatterhood Sturdy Girl

Oddometer:
    She's gotten screwed by the cancelations a couple of times. For someone who finished in the top 10 last year this has got to be super frustrating. She isn't given credit when she did finish a stage that got shortened and then gets docked when they won't let her finish...she wasnt very far behind the 12th rider who was allowed to finish.

Heck I'm frustrated for her.

Laia rides one heck of a race, putting her head down and getting the job done.
  19. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Both Sylvain and Corky are on the starting list for today... no. 90 and 91 respectively - last ones of the bikes :clap
    Obviously they made it home last night... even though not showing on the trackers for ASS Stage 10 or on the Overall standing today? :hmmmmm

Hi Nev :wave
  20. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update - I was just going to ask if anyone had news on Corky !