2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I'll jump in on the Toby fan freight train for a minute, and add a touch of balance (as an Australian) to the "aussie" praise being heaped on him. It is great that there are so many that have taken Toby to their "corner". His story is well known by now and the legion of f5ans (both on here, back home in Australia and now on the world scene) has been meteororic. well deserved also... the humble, grateful, respectful AND unquestionably talented rider that he is... he's also a great person.

Yes, many of his friends and fans back in Australia already knew that... now the DAKAR community does also. He represents his land, his sport and his sponsors with great credit!

As far as the "extra terrestrial acclaim" * that he has recieved this last couple of days goes. (* see what I did there Beechum...? :wink:) I would just like to submit this counter viewpoint to the debate, before lurkin's euphoric f5an enthusiam :viking takes off the whole damnned leg. :rofl:rofl

Yeah sure, Toby has lead out two stages from DSS to ASS, opened the road the whole way and made time on his pursuers... no question about it, impressive against a very strong field. So too (moreso I would say) his demonstration on the shortened SS9 and yesterdays SS10... when he "sat in behind" after WP1 for the rest of the stage to shadow his pursuers. very savvy.

BUT... as one inmate (I can't remember who... maybe Quietus or Beechum...?) pointed out yesterday... to date (have not checked this morning) there have been very few (if not zero) penalties awarded for "missed WPM's" this year...? :brow normally by this stage, there would be a plethora of them, all up and down the rankings.

To the pure and objective DAKAR results analyst in me, this statistic would indicate indicate that the navigation this 2016 DAKAR was "easier" than in recent editions?

the reason for this...? Is it because of the re-routed Peru withdrawal? Is it due to the new "Coma factor" and the methodoligy used by he and the recce team to set out the stages? Or is it due to the fact that the "most" navigational critical stages of this years rally have been, shortend cancelled or in some way altered, due to the weather?

Maybe a combination of all three+

My point being, that Toby has shown he is a force... a force that is to be reckoned with... last years debut was not a fluke. like so many of the top 20 "young turks" that have come onto the scene in the last three years, his riding talent is phenomenal. The advantage for god gifted riders like this, is that when they are functioning (riding) at 75 to 85% of their capacity... they are still travelling across the planet at a rate that 99% of the field would be pressed to maintain with 100% focus. it's that reserve 30 to 15% percent that this guys have, to give attention to the navigation, or "turn it up a notch"... as Toby demonstrated on SS9 all the way through the worst that Fiambala could muster.

So... in mind of deadly99's eternal search for the "what constitutes an alien" question... I've come up with a definition that works for me.

"xtra-terrestrial" a rider with moto skills that are not of this world. (there are a number of these hatchlings on this years DAKAR).

"alien" once full grown, these xtra-terrestrials dominate and DEVOUR their competition.

Last year Toby "hatched"... this year he seems hungry. :yum

:1drink
  2. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Happened last year as well faster riders got deeper into the stage and some paid a price for it.
    What you definitely do not want to do is activate your Sarsat emergency beacon which is for emergencies only and the have the organisation director turn up in his helicopter. He's probably got better things to be doing and probably wouldn't appreciate being asked for directions and fuel. Got to get on his good side before you do that.
    Hitting the Sarsat will cost 300 euros as well.
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    And next year. Win again in a navigational tricky Dakar 17'.
    Boom
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Basically "hitting the beacon" means you've surrendered... DNF automatic normally...

But this year (alongwith every other anomaly, change, rule streatching alteration that has occurred) the 2016 DAKAR could be considered anything but "normal"... so the moral inequity that he got "deeper" into the stage... only to faulter - while others, who were never even submitted to the test - get to continue. yeah, it's a stinky (and expensive) fact that can be chalked up to "shit happens".

little comfort... but he is not Robinson Crusoe in having been "burnt" by the margins in the DAKAR book.
    keepshoveling, bananaman and pebble35 like this.
  5. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rato Molhado and sick_boy like this.
  6. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Hi Antal, is it just my impression or is JvdG a bit of a character ? Most of his video reports crack me up although I can only get the gist of what he's saying.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Dakar 2016 - Stage 11 - La Rioja > San Juan

TIME FOR AN ATTACK

The level of difficulty remains the same, but variety will favour the most flexible of drivers and teams. Sand in all its forms will feature, particularly fesh-fesh, the most volatile and heavy kind, which demands both dexterity and patience. But speed will also be an advantage in other, straighter sections, featuring gravel and pebbles. Opportunities will be few and far between, but there is still time to shake up the standings, since the terrain will be favourable to creating significant gaps.

Schedule
    1st Start (GMT-4) 8:00 am ARG time

Liason: 281 km

MOTO Special Stage: 431 km

Cars/Bike/Truck/Quad
    [​IMG]

Cars/Bike/Truck/Quad
    [​IMG]
  8. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    Loads of water crossings....should be fun :D

If De Rooy can keep it together today it's his turn to win the truck class, the Kamaz boys got hammered the past 2 stages.
  9. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's acutally not very funny, being typical dutch he finds the glass half empty, while it is half full :) :jack

He had a good result yesterday, was happy about that, only to then state that they shortened the stage by 28k's :rofl

Imho, he is a true sportsman, always aiming for more and trying to do his best!

The Dutch tend to dislike people that stick their heads out and want to be best, 6 out of 10 is good enough for us, while we tend to look down on people that score a 5 out of 10 :y0! :lol3 We don't have a true sports culture so we find it very hard to handle people like JvdG or the Coronel brothers... Tends to reflect too in other things like the soccer team.. We dislike it when they lose, but we hate it more if they win after playing poorly.

For the Dutch, it's all about the game, not the marbles.:clap:clap
  10. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1st time a heard the Alien term , it was used by an extremely gifted WSB champion Ben Spiers on his arrival in the MotoGP paddock whilst he was trying to understand (and failing :confused ) what Casey, Jorge, Dani and Valentino could do on a motorbike.

So from that it spread , deservedly, to Despres and Coma,,,,, whatever blatant "euphoric f5an enthusiasm I ( we :lol3) have for Toby , perhaps alien is only a title to be given by your peers :pope and therefor our Ozi mate has a little way to go yet
    chasbo and troy safari carpente like this.
  12. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tsc, sound words as always. However, I'll correct you one one thing: on ss10 he lost time to svitko and big Kev, bit he continued to lead them on piste, and they benefited from his navigation. He said this on the interview in 26' Dakar, and the footage of the stage backed this up.

That's the thing about his performance this year that has knocked my socks off: he's navigating strongly whilst opening the stage and he's demonstrated this on multiple stages. I agree that many of the stages have had easy nav, but the last two have been difficult. Old hands like Laia, coma, peterhansel etc have said as much themselves. Even Monsieur Dakar struggled for 15 minutes to find a wp on ss10!

Clearly he's been paying attention at Marc's bootcamps!!!

He's definitely ET. I agree that we'll wait till next year before we collect enough evidence to id him as a full blown alien.

Come on ET, bring it home! There's a chicko roll and a cherry ripe waiting for you!
    LocuL and troy safari carpente like this.
  13. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking maybe it is easier to navigate this year, but then why is it only Toby who has won consecutive stages?
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Thank's cheeko :clap

When I wrote that, I was working off the f5 intelligence from clipping the "notes" last night... and did not see that interview. as you point out - that is a feather in the cap, of the xtra-terrestrial headgear... no question. :thumbup

EASY ANSWER:

he is doing a better job, than his competition under the conditions presented this year. All the riders are subject to the same circumstances and conditions (up to a certain extent) and of the elite field in 2016... Toby has made the best fist of it thus far.

And in the end (regards Alien comparisons) that all ANY competitor can do... it's a bit like the GOAT debate in motocross... you cannot really compare one era to another. They were all awesom at the time of their carreers and comparisons over the years and decades to who, what when bas better or tougher... largely philosophical.

I said it in the pre-DAKAR thread; this years field is the deepest talent pool (in terms of top 50 elite world standard enduro, rally and motocross riders) of all the DAKAR'sd I can recall.

And Toby is leading. :D
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Bikes should be starting the stage?

One more oddity this year, amongst so many, is one more conspiracy no one has picked up on. Every time Troy misses a "fire in the hole" the stage gets shortened or cancelled.

I've always had my suspicions, for quite a few years now, that Mr Carpenter has been an ASO employee....paid to help promote and manipulate the fans. Quite a brilliant scheme to be honest.

It's only now, in 2016, that I have the Brodomath to back up my theory. I believe it was back in 2009 that I noticed it...a feeling like when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. In 2012 I went to the Dakar and kept an eye on Troys F5 comments and saw first hand what he was doing...but still the Brodomath wasnt there to go public.

Year after year, always knowing but not being able to prove it. Think about it, you ask a question and he instantly quotes obscure rules or facts from the past. Is he even human? Is he simply an algorithm on an ASO computer? Has anyone really met this "Troy"?

Who invented the term gate? Did "Troy" do this just to have us loyal fans dismiss the schinanegans of the org?

"Aliens"...a term created to explain the unexplainable....again "Troy" leading us away from the obvious truth....org manipulation once again.

But like any computer algorithm, they is a flaw to "Troy"...no fire in the hole, no full stage. The ASO computer coders made a mistake. Their "Troy" is not perfect.....and now we all know the truth. We have been dupped, used and taken advantage of by this "Troy". This program of ones and zeros has bested us....NO MORE! WE KNOW!

Troygate :nod
  16. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    TP absolutely smashed the competition after CP2 on stage 9 whilst navigating at the front on maybe the hardest stage of the race. They only had to follow his tracks and focus on going fast, He just kept pulling away. Even ASO couldnt keep up!!
    I dont need the F5 clan to concur but he's Alien to me :bow
  17. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Hmm, very interesting thought :hmmmmm
    "Has anyone really met this "Troy"?"... I did catch up with him during a ride near his hometown in Sweden for at coffee in 2014... or did I? :scratch
    To prove it I was going to post a picture from the episode and went back to the Ride report to get it... and you know what... all pics of this "Troy" doesn't show anymore :dunno... only [​IMG] :augie:augie:augie

Very interesting...
  18. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

Based on that premise, tonights another short stage then:D
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  19. Weldr

Weldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • 07:40 : Bikes: another penalty for Gonçalves
      Finally, for Paulo Gonçalves the Dakar 2016 has been one of false hopes and disappointments. Re-integrated into the race the day before yesterday due to the premature finish of the stage, the official Honda leader, thanks to this providential helping hand, held on to third place in the general standings. After a good special yesterday (fourth, 6 minutes behind the day’s winner) he even gained time over his nearest pursuer in the general standings. Unfortunately for him, the race officials handed out a new fifty minute penalty, almost surely killing his hopes of a podium finish in Rosario. Only allowed to stop 15 minutes at CP2 on the stage 9 special, the Portuguese rider spent more than one hour there trying to repair the hole in the radiator of his Honda
  20. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    07:40 : Bikes: another penalty for Gonçalves
    Finally, for Paulo Gonçalves the Dakar 2016 has been one of false hopes and disappointments. Re-integrated into the race the day before yesterday due to the premature finish of the stage, the official Honda leader, thanks to this providential helping hand, held on to third place in the general standings. After a good special yesterday (fourth, 6 minutes behind the day’s winner) he even gained time over his nearest pursuer in the general standings. Unfortunately for him, the race officials handed out a new fifty minute penalty, almost surely killing his hopes of a podium finish in Rosario. Only allowed to stop 15 minutes at CP2 on the stage 9 special, the Portuguese rider spent more than one hour there trying to repair the hole in the radiator of his Honda

Finally the KTM lawyers have found a technicality to bring some respect back to the bike class :clap

edit ah beat me to it
    keepshoveling likes this.