2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    She should be pissed. I have lost any respect from this race. It is a joke to be called "Dakar"
    bananaman and 640 Armageddon like this.
  2. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    16:37 : Bikes: the leaders’ times confirmed
    Good news for Antoine Meo: the race officials have validated the times of the leading riders at the finish of the special, in spite of the race being halted at CP2. Price is therefore still the leader and Meo is third in the general standings with a lead of 1’33’’ over Quintanilla.

Why this didn't apply the same way to Stage 9 is a mystery...

Edit: With Stage 7
  3. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Pissed will be an understatement. to have her time cut off at CP2? don't want be on the end of that fury.

she was +00:32:56 @ WP9
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    You mean stage 7 with the river? - yes I agree...

But at least they did do that with stage 9, even if the number crunching was a bit suspect!

This really is a disaster for Coma. Bless him!

Jx
    chasbo likes this.
  5. ferals5

ferals5 Team black bikes

Oddometer:
    My phone agrees...it's officially a clusterfcuk...

IMG_1442[1].PNG
  6. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    They have sacrificed the racers for the tourists at this point, why not cut them from the field.

So they don't hurt themselves.
  7. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing.
    KTMInduro likes this.
  8. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    What about the poor guys who got helicoptered out after CP2 for whatever reason do they get to start tomorrow.
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Bastian is riding a shitty 4x4 quad, In 14 he mallemotoed and was the dude who gave a 200 mile tow to Barreda. He almost won the MM class then. Last year he was supported by a great team and was the insurance water carrier dude for the BAS truck supported bike team.
    This year was a last minute deal and he was traveling with his girlfriend and said why not a quad is similar to a snowmobile which is his second love.

Great dude..

and now I read his FB page... OUT... DAMN
    Kapotte brandstofpomp haalt Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar uit de race.

Vanavond om 19.45 uur Nederlandse tijd belde Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar met het vervelende bericht dat voor hem de Dakar 2016 er op zit. We hadden al zo’n vermoeden dat er iets niet in de haak was want Bas kwam bij geen enkele WP meer door. Zijn verhaal: “Afgelopen nacht kwam ik pas om half vier dood- en doodmoe in het bivak aan. Ik heb helemaal niet geslapen. De monteurs hebben wel geprobeerd de quad te repareren ...maar toen ik vanmorgen een tijd onderweg was begon de brandstofpomp weer kuren te krijgen. Tot dat moment ging het rijden erg lekker (Bastiaan klom van de 24e naar 10e plek). Maar toen ik op een gegeven moment op een snel pad met stenen voor een auto aan de kant moest sloeg de quad af. En wat denk je, de quad was met geen mogelijkheid meer aan de gang te krijgen. Natuurlijk ben ik gaan sleutelen maar de plek waarop ik was gestrand was levensgevaarlijk. De auto’s en trucks kwamen daar met een rotvaart van 150 km voorbij. De keien vlogen me om de oren. En het werd steeds warmer en warmer. Echt niet normaal. De quad even aan de kant duwen lukte niet op het punt waar ik was gestrand. En al helemaal niet als je alleen bent. Ik heb daarna een half uur gewacht om de quad af te laten koelen. Nou ja, afkoelen valt niet mee bij die hitte. Maar wat ik ook probeerde, de quad was niet meer aan de praat te krijgen. En ik moest nog zeker 200 km. Met pijn in mijn hart, opgeven is niet mijn sterkste punt, heb ik de handdoek in de ring moeten gooien. Ik ben opgepikt door een helikopter van de organisatie en ben nu in een soort hospitaaltje met gewonde en uitgedroogde deelnemers. Ik ben er fysiek in ieder geval het beste aan toe. Schrale troost maar het is niet anders. Zo meteen wordt ik door een andere helikopter van de organisatie naar het bivak gebracht. “

Zo komt er onverwacht een einde aan dit avontuur. Vanwege de hitte is op het moment dat Bas belde de race vroegtijdig stilgelegd. Het is ook iedere dag wat. Dan is het te nat en dan weer te heet. Een tussenweg is er niet.

= = = = = = = =

Vriendelijke groeten,

Peter van der Sanden

See More

Broken Fuel Pump Twilhaar Nijen Bastien pulls out of the race.
    Tonight, at 19.45 hours Dutch time called bastiaan nijen twilhaar with the annoying message that for him the Dakar 2016 is up. We already had a sneaking suspicion that something is not in the hook was because bass came to no wp more by. His story: " last night, I only at half past four dead and exhausted in the bivouac. I haven't slept at all. The mechanics do have tried to fix the quad but this morning, when I was a long time, the fuel pump started acting up again to get. Until that moment, it was very nice drive (bastiaan climbed out of the 24th to 10th place). But when I was at a given moment, on a quick path with rocks for a car on the side had to hit the quad. And what do you think, the quad was with no capacity to be more to the hallway to get. Of course I'm going to play with it, but the place to which I was stranded was very dangerous. The cars and trucks were there with a fast 150 km over. The rocks flew me around the ears. And it was getting warmer and warmer. Really not normal. The Quad to the side a push didn't work at the point where I was stranded. And certainly not when you're alone. Then I've been waiting a half an hour to the quad to cool off. Yeah, well, cool off is not easy in this heat. But no matter what I tried, the quad wasn't more on the talk. And I had to at least another 200 km. With pain in my heart, giving up is not my strong suit, I have the towel in the ring to throw. I've been picked up by a helicopter of the organization and am now in a sort of hospitaaltje with wounded and dehydrated participants. I'm physically in any case, the best. Cold Comfort, but it's not different. Soon I will be by another helicopter of the organisation to the bivouac. "
    So there will be unexpected, put an end to this adventure. Because of the heat is at the moment that bass called the race early shut down. It is also what every day. Then it's too wet and too hot. A compromise is not there

So I hope the dutchdude comes for a visit this year !

[​IMG]
  10. Enduro10

Enduro10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live about 2.000 Km far from Rosario or Salta. Went to Dakar Argentina since 2009. This year I had the bike prepared and all the stuff ready to go again. El Niño stopped me at home. Now, I thanks this rainy season because I would be very disapointed to travel 5.000 Km in total and not watching the Dakar's specials. Unless if I had been at the starting point every day. Dakar 2016 sucks !
    too old, 640 Armageddon and Hop-Sing like this.
  11. Resist

Resist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of people here who've never even been near a bivouac mouthing off, and it's frustrating.
    For sure, there will be people upset that the stage was canned mid-way through.
    For sure, there will be people pleased it was canned.
    Nobody who has actually been anywhere near the Dakar will ever look down on ANYONE with a finishers medal - nobody who isn't a complete wanker anyway. 500 odd kms less special won't affect their achievements. Dakar is HARD. Super hard. Even with 5 or 6 shortened stages.
    All that aside, there are other realities. Insurance is harder to come by and costs more than ever. Especially when people die. Dakar is one or two deaths away from being banned altogether - that's legitimately what's at stake here.
    Maybe there are less resources available this year, motorsport costs money, sponsorships are down worldwide. Oil money pays for a lot of this, oil is $30 a barrel right now...
    Not only that, but imagine if someone dies out there, or has a life altering injury because Dakar officials didn't have resources to cover a stage properly. What will you armchair warriors say then?
    It's easy to chirp from here, but a lot harder to manage the many complex realities on the ground. Have some respect for the volunteers, the people working hard to bring you the world's greatest race, and MOST of all, have some respect for the competitors actually out there on the ground who's lives matter, who's achievements deserve your admiration and whose money, time, blood, sweat and tears makes our January worthwhile.
  12. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    Looking at her times, today will perhaps not hurt as badly as she was in P18 for most of the day...

But I'm sure there are other's in the field that it matters a great deal to, even "with just two stages to go."
  13. griesgram999

griesgram999 grmpf

Oddometer:
    Before I join the comfy-at-home-siitng F5er shouting "It' not a Dakar" oI'd like to get some numbers.
    How many bikes startet the race in 2015 (14, 13, 12 ...) and how many finished?
    And of those that didn't finish, how many % retired for technical reasons, because of an accicent, or simply because they gave up. How do those numbers compare to this year?
    Just adding up the number of stages cut short doesn't count in my eyes.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    The do still have to get to CP2 though - 243kms in... amongst the cars and the trucks and the chewed up course.

The problem with a race of this size is it soon becomes two very different races depending on where you start in the field.

The front runners can nail it, on a relatively virgin course and with little traffic... those further down the field (and don't forget, that field is needed for the Dakar to be considered the 'biggest off-road race in the world'), it becomes a war of attrition.

We've already heard reports of people running out of water (and I don't mean back markers) and being medivac'd out... unless you've been in that situation, that heat, that dust, after 10+ days of racing with little sleep, you can't begin to know how it feels...

Sure, you can push your button - and it would appear that a number already have today (and during the past couple of days), but I guarantee anyone who has yet to make it to CP2 at this point in the day is going to be glad the stage has stopped there (remember this is only for the bikes).

However, I completely agree that anyone between CP2 and the finish right now is likely to be pissed off with this decision - finishing in the top twenty or thirty is still a HUGE deal to anyone with professional or semi-professional aspirations.

I'm not saying it's 'right' from a purely racing point of view, but I it's completely understandable under the circumstances...

Jx
  15. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!??????? YHTBFKM! :becca
  16. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    I say pull the back markers and maintain the standard of Dakar! Not the racers that will finish.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    CP4 is not all that far from the ASS - there is a chance they will let those riders who have got that far continue?

It all depends on where they can cut the course and redirect the others off I imagine.

Jx
  18. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it isn't a real Dakar and I do think that anyone who finishes has earned their medal. The racers don't decide to cut the stage short, so as far as I am concerned, they have done the job placed before them. I feel bad for those racers that are negatively affected by cutting a stage short, Laia jumps to mind as one of those. I only hope that the last couple of stages go off without a hitch. I have enjoyed this Dakar so far and all the ups and down it has had.
  19. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Ok I changed my mind, you guys are right, who am I anyway, I think it's awesome, and I wish every Dakar was like this year, and if it get's dumbed down a few more times over the next couple of years then maybe I can do it too.

I think it soo cool that this is where Dakar is headed, Maybe we can have volunteers just hold our hands throughout the course, and bio monitors, say my heart rate or blood pressure gets above, say that of sexual intercourse they must stop the race, at my age that could be dangerous!

This is the best Dakar ever!!!
    Uller, Enduro10, homerj and 9 others like this.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Nope, if you pressed your button, you're out.

Jx