2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I hope that next Dakar, the route planners do it with a motorcycle along and in the heat of the summer down there. Don't envy the guys in the back having to run in 40C temps at that speed for that long.
    bananaman likes this.
  2. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    After a late start and some mechanicals, I finaly crawled my way to last page. Pew, what a drama day... Orga should re view a lot of things for 2017, methinks.
    yardracer likes this.
  3. GG71

GG71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think, Coma was more than one time on motorcycle in this region, or not?
  4. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Dakar is supposed to be hard. to finish it used to mean something. Oh and then the elite wanted to win, everyone wants to win. maybe if your not fit or you have motor trouble you won't finish. But to not try is Sad for this race. It can not be the "Dakar"
    It has become just another race. Bo, Hiss
    stuckthrottle and MAXVERT like this.
  5. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I found the route for Dakar 2017.

Enduro10, stuckthrottle and Hop-Sing like this.
  6. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:

Put your keyboard down and do it then! I'm sitting in a freezing cold house, a good 5 months away from a good hot summer, and I can't even begin to recollect how tough it can be when you are pooped, dehydrated and mentally beat. Just watch Corky's vids and you can begin to understand the strain on the guys in the back. The top 10 never stop, rarely make mistakes, and enjoy some airflow from constant movement. Stop for 10 minutes to dig your bike out, and it can be over for you.
  7. tatterhood

tatterhood Sturdy Girl

Oddometer:
    And she has a right to be!
    TheMuffinMan likes this.
  8. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    sprouty115 likes this.
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    At this juncture I would like to give a big shout out to kaia, who jumped in at two days to blast off, and volunteered his moderator services to the F5 cause for 2016. :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

He has been pulling double duty on both the F5 Photo thread AND the cliffnotes with myself (there is just the two of us in here this year) and the quality of the images and post on this years F5 Dakar is awesome. :clap

In the beginning there was a bit of chatter that the "f5low of the hose" is not as torrential as in past years...

While I was stuck in a snow storm on the way home today, I went in and looked at the numbers... I checked out the views/post ratio... and you know what? We are right at the same momentum of the 2010-11 flowage, but with exceedingly better content, from a far broader range of poster/cotributors.

Okay, so it's not the "1000 post a day" tempo of the 2013/14 years... but hey, 50% of the posts back then were merely the (active display) Irrtrack "hunters" with a plethora of informative classics like; "Despres at WP7", or "Coma at CP2"... and who can ever forget the timeles classics like "Jonah passed Cyril and just took the lead... he must be flying" (when in realty he was two WP's and physically 25 minutes behind Depres on the road". Those usually took Nate and Remi about three pages of cease and decist posts and editing, while everyone F5'd around like decapitated hens. :happay:happay:happay

It was those kind of posts that filled the pages (and made Flood and PackMules job of decyphering whar was fact and what was F5¤%ed - soooo much harder when clipping to cliff notes). The quality this year is brilliant (just like the real field...

Bear in mind that this year we had the pre-event hose (for scrutineering and prologue) AND then the official coverage f5irehose for the race days. When you tally these up - I think you can safely say that the f5irehose is as viable as ever... okay - so there've been delays, shortened stages, tracker/timing snafus a la' ASO and all that goes with it... just like the F5 DAKAR should be.

It would also be remiss of me not to mention the great job done by myway, on the F5 resources thread and f5irehose contents... all the links, maps, profiles, video, photos and TV schedule/links etc., Absolutey outstanding.

Of course to mention mischa and his world class trackingdakar.nl site. What can I say...? :deal

If the ASO had people like myway and mischa working for them, the results and tracking would be a "real time" experience. thank's for all they both bring to the F5 fraternity. :clap:clap

Thanks for watching, see you in the f5esh f5esh. :thumbup
  11. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    It was meant to be over the top, I don't want to take anything away from the guys that are there, but if the ASO wants to keep these guys from hurting themselves, don't let them start. That simple. Don't ruin it for the rest!
    Enduro10 and 640 Armageddon like this.
  12. rickmdz

rickmdz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This ^^^^^^^^^

A micromanaged Dakar is better than no Dakar (IMHO)
    DesertSurfer and TRAVELGUY like this.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I thought we had all argued this to death two days ago?

The issue is NOT whether the Orga should cut the course after a certain period due to increasingly dangerous temperatures (or floods, or any other natural occurrence), as their primary responsibility is the safety of ALL competitors.

The issue is whether those Elite and front-running riders that clearly do have the ability to make it to the ASS before the course is cut, are allowed to keep their stage times as recorded...

Clearly the Orga screwed up/were lazy on stage 7 (the flood), and subsequently did their best during stage 9 to ensure the front runners were not unfairly penalised that time round...

Sure there was the odd casualty of the cut-off point/time on stage 9 - Laia Sanz a prime example - but then if she'd been riding just a bit faster she wouldn't have got caught at CP2 would she? - They have to draw the lie somewhere, and unfortunately, it was right in front of her that day...

This is a far more complex situation than many of you on here perhaps appreciate.

Jx
  14. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, and appears to have forgotten everything he learned, though, in fairness, lack of preparedness for prevailing conditions must fall squarely on the shoulders of the guy in the corner office.
  15. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why?
  16. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Agree on the " Need to Keep the Dakar " and what it takes to keep it. I'm pretty sure things will be revamped for next year. I've been in heat related problems myself just in our country trying to run too long in 100F heat on a street bike. Not fun none.
  17. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    what WP is CP2? Can't understand why they don't sign them on the "direct chronos" page too...:dirtdog
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  18. rickmdz

rickmdz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "these guys" account for +80% of the field, without them there would be no Dakar.
    There's a huge difference between the top guys, AKA Pros that do this for a living, and the rest. If we compare the old days with today I don't think in the old days they had the support they have today. Would they be able to be this competitive without 20 mechanics, massagists, heck they even have route pictures the night before! It's not even close...
    I certainly want Dakar to be the ultimate adventure and endurance off road race we all admire, I don't want people dying like flies just to prove a point....
  19. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven"t you heard? Serious bug found in Google Nest :rofl
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    @Pantah

It was actually Kurt who played a big part in getting his Aussie KTM sponsored counterpart Toby, the first intoduction to getting into Dakar. Toby has mentioned this in a couple of pre-event interviews (both print, and TV) before the DAKAR. Apparently Kurt and Toby - who met while both riding in their countries respective World Trophy Teams at the ISDE a few years ago - they got to talking, and Kurt convinced Pricey to come to the US and do some desert races, the Baja etc. Unfortunately, that is also when Toby had his accident... out at a D37 race in SoCal with Kurt.

Toby rides with a KC#66 foundation badge on his jacket and decals on his fairing... in some way, Kurt is there Pantah... he would have been the next Alien, I am sure.

[​IMG]

The Dakars founder and spiritual father...

Thierry had to cancel stages and re-route things on occassion you know... :brow

But he never had "el ninõ" working against him so hard either...

so lighten up a bit f5olks... eh?

Maybe it is fair to say that this latest "cut" at CP2 is a worrying trend. When the first one incurred on SS9 and they cited extreme heat and over extended sfaety/rescue resources as the reason... okay I gave Marc and Etienne the benefit of the doubt... they are professionals after all.

But three days in a row... where the front runner are put through the whole stage, but they can it after 15 riders pass? I agree it is getting a bit monotonous.

With the re-planning after Peru's withdrawal, the halved time that they had to re-route and recce, coupled with the weather they've been faced... It is fair to say that Mac Coma got a giant sized DAKAR shit subway sandwich as his baptism of fire as the Clerk of Course/Race director. I don't envy him his job under these conditions.

I can imagine that the ORGA- debriefing in Febraury will have many points to work through... My only hope is that with these lessons and the other events that Marc has signed on to direct in the Dakar series, that it will lead to improvements in the coming years.