2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    having never orgainzed a race, but being a project manager for construction; contingencies for weather, asset failures are a must. While all contingincies are not plannable, REAC is. Mabye it really is that difficult to manage. I can't say. But we've seen ___________ or ___________'s team (ostensibly) mismanage decisions and comms for several stages. I imagine the after action/lessons learned and debrief will last weeks.
    too old and troy safari carpente like this.
  2. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Then don't let them start the stage, don't let them continue past the CP, use the heavy handed discretion that is Dakar! If you didn't finish well enough to have a good start time, your chances of finishing the next day go away.

You are effectively taking away their decision to withdraw by stopping the race, and hurting and/or ruining the careers of those that race for the safety of those that can't.

Don't let them die, by not letting them continue if they can't decide that themselves.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  3. Tomas Kocanda

Tomas Kocanda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    sorry - been couple hours out in the car...
    So what´s the situation? Is Goncalves back in the race? :)
    too old, 640 Armageddon and Pantah like this.
  4. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to recall , but didn't the African Dakars get very hot too? I don't seem to recall stages being cancelled for heat, but the F5cognoscenti here would know better. Does the new Dakar have new regulations that attrition can only be acceptable in certain ways (too slow, lost, missed WPs, out of gas, crash, mechanical), but heat has been banned from competition? They allowed cold and altitude in this Dakar at least.
    640 Armageddon and theantipaul like this.
  5. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Hospital I think was the last word...
  6. tatterhood

tatterhood Sturdy Girl

Oddometer:
    They (the ASO) aren't even letting the elite race. The number of racers who made it to the ASS is 14. There are at least 11 who were less than 40 min behind at CP4...Laia, Casteu, Pain, Duclos among them.

I will still admire anyone who got out there and rode, because this is not a race i could ever do at this point in my life. However, something has changed about this race. Mother nature is something no one can control - so rain, floods, etc...happen. But these same routes have been run, some several times, in even harsher conditions than we are seeing this year, yet the bar has been lowered. There are a lot of pieces in play and I'm not going to second guess those who have boots on the ground and more information than me, but this is not the same race it has been...at least not this year.

On a side note- I feel for Coma, this can't be easy for him either professionally as the sporting director, or personally as a former rider (and champion).
  7. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    From Toyota SA FB:

The three Toyota Gazoo Racing SA Hilux race cars may appear to be nothing more than mechanical beasts at first glance, but in reality these cars are not held together by nuts and bolts, but rather by the blood, sweat and extremely long hours (that sometimes even lead to tears) put in by the men (and one woman) behind the scenes - the unsung heroes who keep the cars at the sharp end of the field. Last night, Yazeed al Rajhi and navigator Timo Gottschalk arrived in the bivouac well after dark, with their car in need of attention. This was the third car the crew serviced on the trot, getting to bed just hours before setting off again for the next bivouac - and the next late night...

(This is such an awesome picture)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sabu, yardracer, dooby and 4 others like this.
  8. Tomas Kocanda

Tomas Kocanda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ondrej Klymciw´s crash...

*kartman*, dooby, nry and 2 others like this.
  9. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Team Rhide SA at Dakar

SIX DAY ‪#‎SELFIE‬ CHALLENGE:
    We are inviting the public to join the 6-day #selfie challenge in support of Team Rhide SA and Rhino SA. The challenge will kick off tomorrow, 12 January 2016 and will end on Sunday, 17 January 2016.
    THE IDEA:
    Team Rhide SA is taking part in the Dakar Rally to raise funds and awareness for the plight of rhino, elephant, lion and other wildlife in crisis. We are challenging everyone to post a selfie on the Team Rhide SA Facebook page wearing something that showcases support for the Team and/or our wildlife (Rhino SA). The more creative the better!
    HOW YOU CAN DO MORE:
    Help us fulfill our cause by making a donation to Team Rhide SA's charity organisation; Rhino SA. Any donations are welcome! Donate here: http://bit.ly/1OQ9ELE

PRIZES UP FOR GRABS:
    We will be giving away three prizes to the most fun, unique and relevant pictures. The Team members will choose the winners when they arrive back in South Africa. Who knows what they will be looking for…?
    1st Prize: A signed Dakar 2016 memorabilia from a Team Rhide SA member of choice :photog
    2nd Prize: A signed Team Rhide SA shirt :lol2
    3rd Prize: A signed Team Rhide SA cap :-)

One rhino is massacred every seven hours for its horn in South Africa. Every 15 minutes, one elephant is killed for its tusks in Africa. Furthermore, lion bones are substituting tiger bones in Asia. “The time has come to take a stand and plead for everyone to unite against poaching to preserve our heritage,” says Brian Baragwanath, Wildlife SA ambassador.

For more information, please contact:
    Rhino SA - Irene: 083 321 5490 or www.rhinosa.co.za
    Team Rhide SA clothing – Kathleen: 076 100 4736 / www.teamrhidesa.com/shop
    General queries - Janneke: 082 944 0693 / janneke@afrihost.co.za

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yardracer, dooby and Rato Molhado like this.
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    It used to get hot in Niger and Mali, as you got further into the interior of the Sahara... In January, maybe not the extremes (50 degrees) as regularly as say . somewhere like Fiambala a few years ago... but yeah 40 and 45+ was not unheard of.

But I think (having not been there) that the altitudes in Argentina, Boliva and Chilé in the footsteps of the Andes are what make a big difference. In the Sahara (with the exception when the rally would cross the Massif in Nth Morocco on the first day - Coma won his first Dakar with a stage that had snow on it), the altitude is nowhere near that of many of the El-DAKARO stages.
  11. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    100 year old house. It's not that cold.
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    These conditions don't seem to be abnormal for the region / time of year

So why was the race put there if the organisers were then going to whinge about it?
  13. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    With all the talk about temp I googled weather in some places.

Humidity is pretty high for desert conditions. This would explain a lot of heat exhaustion.
    cheekorollo likes this.
  14. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our lovely bad ass Laia. She is a tough girl that can smile all day. She came back here after this rare picture from last year. Laia Dakar day two 2015.png
  15. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    "Good news for Antoine Meo: the race officials have validated the times of the leading riders at the finish of the special, in spite of the race being halted at CP2. Price is therefore still the leader and Meo is third in the general standings with a lead of 1'33'' over Quintanilla." from dakar.com
    cyborg likes this.
  16. dog botherer

dog botherer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

take a look at this Bam Bam!!! sure beats your torn fingernail as the reason for you pulling out
    dooby, too old and cheekorollo like this.
  17. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    pretty disppointing the Dakar seems only half baked this year. But it's still
    :twitch
  18. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Lotsa thoughts - not sure how articulate them(too many painkillers!)

Safety first
    Environment second
    Racing third

Like it or not, that's the modern world.
    Many of us love the 'Old Dakar' - attrition through exhaustion and riders sleeping in the desert next their bikes, rolling-in just in time to start the next stage, etc.

Times are a changing!
    We see it Supercross and Enduro due to many factors (mainly commercial) - Rally Raid may just have to move with the times, not resist, but evolve into a different 'brand' - South American Dakar (SAD??) May need to be marketed differently also to survive?
    The riders should simply be (IMO) rewarded for what they achieve
    Qualify well - start further up the field out of the dust
    Struggle with conditions, mechanical, fitness - in the dust you go.
    Hit the help me button - OUT

The shortening of stages and the penalties applied this year seems to be messy, unfair even.

Food for thought
    IF a race is shortened, the riders have finished the stage get credited with their times and remain in the 'Premier' class, competing for overall.
    The riders that didn't finish the stage before it was 'called' are credited with their times and clearly defined penalties for each section of each stage, BUT are relegated to a 'participation' class where they can still race, assist Premier class riders and get a 'finishers' medal(for their class) - but not be eligible for the Overall, regardless if they win every stage after being relegated.

Don't finish the whole (where practicable - controlled by Directors) race, then can't win Overall

Something has to change to ensure the amateur riders and factory riders that have invested a lot money and resources to get the start line are rewarded fairly for their performance.

The more exposure/air time for the manufacturers/sponsors, then the more likely this race (whatever format/brand it may adopt in the future) will continue despite all of the other challenges (insurance/access to land/terrorists, timing systems, communications)

I'm not saying a medal for everyone, but let's embrace change.

Maybe jumping a bit early, but Where is DAKAR going?

GO TP STOKED
  19. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    bam bam = soft

Toby won the Finke desert race with this...the week before race start

[​IMG]
    Iocaine and TEDROO like this.
  20. GG71

GG71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, sorry but I have no idea what this slang exactly mean :-\