2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. XSpearsX

XSpearsX Proud Dakar Wife

Oddometer:
    CRAP...not the response I wanted!!!
    The ONLY day I go off-grid during the Dakar :(
  2. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always liked challenges and I always liked Dakar. I don't think I will ever be able to run it, but so far, this here the race it's a very expensive, two week Atacama rally.

They must be joking that the weather changes so quickly regarding temperature and they don't know it. I get all the people who say that we are in the comfort of our sofas. So what? Do we have to run Dakar to be able to see that this year the race is a disgrace in my opinion. Somebody said that the privateers make up the field. That is not true. Add the personnel of ktm and Hrc and Yamaha and sherco and privateers become a minute percentage to keep the flame going. To them, a slow privateer may be a liability in stage 9.

Dakar is, till now of course, the most difficult race on this planet. And then some more. Yes, after some days a privateer may be praying to God for this race to stop, but this is what it is. If you are not fit enough, you go home. There is no tapping on your back poor old rider. That's the way it is. If you want to be able to continue, race Eco race with half the budget. Don't get me wrong, all these people there are challenging themselves every day. But there is a lack of rules at this point. If my bikes conrod went out of the cylinder and the bike then developed an electrical fault as Troy would say, at cp3. Do I get to stay in the race? If no, why not? What if I break my leg in the process? What about other bikes that will explode because of the stresses that the cp2 riders did not have to go through?

You would think, that an organisation of these monumental proportions, would have thought 'hey, if it gets 300 degrees like last year?' they had the experience from last year. They simply have no excuse why they did not prepare better. As discussed earlier, it's not about forcing a competitor to die, it's about 'whoever is not fast enough as the train, is left behind'. Now it seems they want most competitors to finish.

Laia s Dakar for example was clusterf@cked with sand and bubble gum as people say here. She even said that this Dakar is easy and that they need more challenges. Of course, poor number #58962 at the back, who has no water anymore, his engine has spoons inside and the bike is overheating, begs to whoever God he believes in, that the stage will be cancelled. But then again, if that guy cannot follow the convoy, he has to go home.

I have seen videos from Africa with aluminum blankets, staying out in the stage, nobody said then 'there are scorpions in that area, let's stop the race'.
    If I was there, I d been pissed off at the orga whichever was my position. And people who complain it's tough, well.... It is, and that's how it should be. This is not a two week trailride. Look at the Swedish brothers how well they prepared last year. This year so far we had wrc stages and stages that were cancelled.

This year I think aso got it completely wrong. May be with coma they got some staff from Hrc? I don't know :D

I feel that in the next couple of years we will see a vast transformation of Dakar. I feel that it will become like a long distance Baja which is popular on the other side of the pond. Less navigation, more speed. I hope Coma prevents that from happening otherwise people will veer to other rallies. I mean the privateers.

D.
  3. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to hear from many of the riders (and particularly from some of those in the back of the pack) on the actual conditions they faced (heat, torn-up tracks, etc) over the next few weeks. No doubt that whether it was El Nino or whatever, this year's Dakar faced some challenges; and the originally planned countries not participating did not help matters at all. Still, I'm happy to watch and follow along. Love to watch the competition among the elite, love to watch the perseverance of those in the back, love to watch Laia...
    cheekorollo likes this.
  4. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    they should shorten all the stages down to one really long stage, say 1000 miles, and call it something original....Like the Dakar 1000
    godwinmt, 640 Armageddon and beechum1 like this.
  5. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Indeed but it's all relative.
    theantipaul and 640 Armageddon like this.
  6. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    The rumour on Facebook is that Corky is out but no other details, so not verified as yet
  7. Moto Benny in MTL

Moto Benny in MTL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great point JMo. I'll just add that for the back 50% of the field, on 2 wheels or 4, there's really not much speed difference between "race pace" and "the stage is cancelled but I still have to get out of here" pace. The riders won't even know its cancelled until they reach a CP, so in fact they're all pushing as hard as if they were racing. I'm not sure if today's stage even has a way to exit to a road and I'm assuming that even if the racing isn't being timed after CP2 that all the riders still have to do the SS mileage, so in my mind the guys who signed up to be finishers are absolutely deserving of the title - they're going to end up doing 90% of the total mileage and in conditions that forced a total bad ass like Coma to cancel racing. There is no conspiracy...
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    It would appear we have everyone were supposed to. Looks like DNS for 5 and withdrawal for gonk.
  9. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    i agree... i think what makes a Dakar route legendary is the off-piste desert stages, the preparation needed to get through said stages, and the ability, determination, drive and courage to get through said stages.

to me, that's what was missing this year (not the last part, i'm sure all the competitors have the ability, determination, drive and courage) - those type of epic Dakar off-piste desert stages. the only true "desert" stages... (as close as we got this year) stage 9, 10 & half of 11... all got shortened for different reasons!

i miss the Atacama Desert.
    i miss the big dune into Iquique.
    i miss this: (from 2012)
    (fast forward to 2m37s)

...for that matter i miss carlton kirby and eurosport's coverage. :cry
    neduro, dooby, chasbo and 7 others like this.
  10. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like DNS but no confirmation of that.
    :cry
  11. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True the Swedish brothers may see it as easy in the park, as I am dehydrating to death. Corky on a video I saw in FB, stopped to catch his breath user since shade, and the he said that temperature was 45 degrees. He said it was hot. But I totally agree with nry here. It's all relative. Somebody who does not know how to navi-gate, then these stages may look tricky for example.
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    How harsh is the sun where they are racing ? Looking at the summary I see the guy on the time control with his shirt sleeves rolled up tanning his shoulders :rofl .
    If I were in Europe I could get away with that, here in Australia yep maybe for a little while, in Tasmania where I am right now Ha ! forget it. The sun here stings and will mess you up really quick if you haven't got sun screen on and keep applying it. I don't mess with the sun here.
    So Tasmania is sitting at 42deg and looking at Buenos Aires that is 32deg. I'm wondering if the sun is as harsh or whether they have other environmental factors which take the edge off it (I think we lack a bit of ozone down this way)
    Also I've been told by one of the 2013 mechanics that the 40 / 45 deg days in SA were way more debilitating than a 40 / 45 deg day around Sydney due to the humidity.
    Rato Molhado and stuckthrottle like this.
  13. XSpearsX

XSpearsX Proud Dakar Wife

Oddometer:
    When I hear from Scott with team updates - I'll let ya'll know. I missed the time he normally checks in with me while my phone was out of service .
    garfey, dooby and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  14. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Water crossing. These guys know how to cross a creek using the inter tube method.

[​IMG]
    goodcat and sprouty115 like this.
  15. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    And that video says it all for me,

But in this day and age, "they could have been killed!".
    garfey, 640 Armageddon and KTMInduro like this.
  16. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
  17. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2p on the shortening of stages and 'dumbing down' of the event this year

No matter what we all think - the Dakar is only a race - it's not worth dieing for. No competitor should be put in a situation where their lives are at risk. Racing incidents are one thing, exposure to excessive, but avoidable risks such as extreme heat, deep water crossings, lack of medical cover etc is quite another.

On the other hand Dakar must never become too easy. To me, Dakar can be summed up in a few words :

"Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over" Fabrizio Meoni

I don't have the knowledge, experience or skill set to be able to work out the balance between these two opposing points and then run a world class event such as the Dakar - I don't know the answer. I just hope ASO do not end up neutering the race we all love so much.
    homerj, chasbo, Rato Molhado and 6 others like this.
  18. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coma better take Walkners bike and start now then :lol3
    yardracer likes this.
  19. royle

royle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have a tie on top of the fantasy stage results today - Lana and Quietus both scored 58 points. Lana registered the team first, which means she gets the golden tire. This means overall standings are getting very very interesting!

Stage 11:
    ==========================
    1st...Gordito (Lana).........................58 pts
    2nd...Quietus (Quietus)...................58 pts
    3rd...Chief (Chief)...........................53 pts
    4th...SafariBerg (Safariberg)............51 pts
    5th...DustEaters (gomezz)...............45 pts
    6th...KTM are losers.. (tehdutchie)...45 pts

Overall:
    ==========================
    1st...Nanana Vrooom (tibx)............425 pts
    2nd...Quietus (Quietus)..................420 pts
    3rd...Gordito (Lana).......................413 pts
    4th...Go Hard or Go Home (Coak)...410 pts
    5th...10to1 (INDY).........................381 pts
    6th...DeserTales (stuckthrottle)......380 pts
    640 Armageddon and stuckthrottle like this.
  20. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kaia, i agree... i think what makes a Dakar route legendary is the off-piste desert stages, the preparation needed to get through said stages, and the ability, determination, drive and courage to get through said stages.

to me, that's what was missing this year (not the last part, i'm sure all the competitors have the ability, determination, drive and courage) - those type of epic Dakar off-piste desert stages. the only true "desert" stages... (as close as we got this year) stage 9, 10 & half of 11... all got shortened for different reasons!

This is what we are all missing, not the WRC stuff!
    theantipaul likes this.