2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    I agree 100% I was just trying to cheer you up !

Your dream of Dakar is mine too, I hope that it doesn't mutate to the long distance Baja.

I wonder what the entry numbers will be like next year, it doesn't help that the route comes out ofter you've put your entry in. Hand over a large amount of money for something you always wanted and get handed a dud .......... Err hang on I've changed my mind I wanted that other one over there, no not that one the one next to the Eco race ...yep you've got it Amageza thats the one.

(I'm not actually comparing any other race to Dakar just trying to make a point, before I jumped on)
  2. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    lots of bivouac photos from RallyManiacs.com posted from stage 10, reposted over in the Dakar Photo F5irehose. the dutch love their trucks!

#506 - HANS STACEY (NLD) / BRUYNKENS SERGE (BEL) / JAN VAN DER VAET (BEL) [MAN]
    #531 - MARCEL HUIGEVOORT (NLD) / COEN DONKERS (NLD) / FRANS VAN ZUTVEN (PER) [MAN]
    #510 - PIETER VERSLUIS (NLD) / MARCEL PRONK (NLD) / ARTUR KLEIN (DEU) [MAN]
    [​IMG]

#347 - TOM CORONEL (NLD) [SUZUKI]
    [​IMG]

#84 - SJAAK MARTENS (NLD) [HUSQVARNA]
    [​IMG]

#514 - FEDERICO VILLAGRA (ARG) / JORGE PEREZ COMPANC (ARG) / ANDRES MEMI (ARG) [IVECO]
    [​IMG]

#123 - MAIKEL VERKADE (NLD) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

Dakar.com Stage 11 coming next.
    garfey and yardracer like this.
  3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a stick in the boor. From another race between aliens, that's gotta hurt no matter what planet you come from. Maybe JBB should take up soccer.
  4. BigBearJoe

BigBearJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    from Laia Facebook

Tough day for Laia Sanz247256324326. Our ‪#‎khsietera‬248257325327 has run with a sore throat, fever and dizziness, and has cost him to finish the stage. In addition, 50 km from the end has left to pass viladoms and, within their dust, has eaten a step, and the bike has been spit on. As a result has had a big fall to 100 km / h that has left him the clavicle sore.

‪#‎Dakar2016‬249258326328 ‪#‎khsieteros‬250259327329 ‪#‎Dakar‬251260328330 Dakar Rally252261329331
    Translated from Spanish332

Anyone have more details? Hope she is okay to continue on. Mucho props to her!331333
  5. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was just ctaching up after my nights sleep at 3.30 as I'm up early about to embark cycling up the highest road/mountain in the UAE - so my own stage for the day - just hope I get to the top before the cut off!

This year, for whatever reasons, the org have had to play around with times after neutralising stages and seem to be developing a formula?

100 % agree that for the less proficient back markers that there is probably a bigger challenge in their 7 hours out there in the shit the cars leave and the additional heat of the day as opposed to the elite guys skipping over virgin ground in the early morning sun!

If conditions warrant a halt for life safety reasons (unless there's a raging torrent you can't cross) do so for the non elite, or anyone not in say the top 30 - or have a separate class for those qualified to ride in it - under whatever circumstances (assuming there is a route) then they have to finish or "push the button" for the rest they get neutralised, or is it steralised, and get an adjusted time - forever to be known as the "Marc Coma Method"! :photog

A win win - no?
    keepshoveling likes this.
  6. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    F5 deadly99

Looks like your coaching strategy for Toby Price is amateur

Toby followed the riders as they made a navigational error and quickly corrected himself. Then they made another navigational error and Toby rode past them
    and on to the finish line. Read his website report.

I would say Toby knows what he's doing just fine all by himself.

What do you think he should do tomorrow? :imaposer
  7. cheekorollo

cheekorollo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From tp87.com.au:

Words: Owlpine Group

PRICE PREPARES FOR REMAINING RALLY
    [​IMG]

KTM’s Toby Price remains a firm favourite to take out the 2016 Dakar Rally after extending his lead to 35’23” at the end of Stage 11.

Price began the day in 3rd place, battling the volatile and heavy sand to finish second in the stage and furthering his position in the overall standings.

It was a long stage today, 3rd day from the end that seems to be getting harder and harder. I started off 3rd and caught the guys in front, they made a mistake and I got in front before making a small navigation error but fixed it fairly quickly, they then made another error and I was good to go and rode all the way into the finish,” Price said.

[​IMG]

Price has two more stages to maintain his lead before the reaching the finish line of the Rally.

Now with the gap of around 30 minutes, I’ve got two stages left so as long as I don’t lose 15 minutes each of those stages I think we should be pretty good,” Price said.

[​IMG]

The KTM Rider will look to minimize risks before the next ride as he looks to be the first Australian to win at Dakar.

“I want to keep everything nice and smooth, look after the bike, short shift everything and rest up myself,” Price said.

Stage 12 will trek over 481km of semi-mountainous terrain from San Juan to Villa Carlos Paz.
  8. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I though you articulated that quite nicely ... thanks for a very valid point you bring up.

The thing is, there are plenty of amateur rallies and several FIM sanctioned rallies, that have a proviso in the standard regulations for precisely that which you describe blue tongue.

The most common method is to apply a mximum time fixed penalty for all stages (or parts of stages) not completed. This can easily be defined and quantified at predetermined points such as the WP-s and CPs of each special stage. The same is put in place for the liasons (though pehaps not necessay to sectorise them - as they do not comprise a competitive timing element).

In old car trials they called this "cut and run", in a modern cross country rallying it is termed maximum stage fixed time penalty.

So it can, and is done.

The thing is... to be classified on DAKAR the founding principal is, that you have to complete the entire itinerary of the event, to be titled as "finisher".

If you put a 10 meter long two by four plank on the ground and ask 100 people to walk across it... 99 will be able to do it... 10 of them will sprint across.

Put the same plank 10 meters up in the air - no net - the numbers will fall to about 15 who get across... up to 40% don't have the balance or fortitude to complete the task. (A good percentage of persons 16 thru 60 will be those you will have to provide rescue and medical services for).

Now put the same plank 100 meters in the air... still no net. Same 100 aspiring participants. 98% won't even attempt it. 1 will make it across, the other one , is the poor soul the media will report as having lost their life.

In my opinion, DAKAR plank should be somewhere between 10 and 20 meters in the air (varying from day to day). It should be a test, it should be an achievement. Safety and contingency plans in the highest regard, but the DAKAR should still maintain it's 100% completion requirement I feel.

I have seen another event which watered itself down some years ago, to adopt a "maximum fixed penalty" for non-completion of a stage (or stages) and doing so, to attain a finishers medal in that event became far less of an achievement.

I would really hate to see DAKAR adopt anything but a 100% completion requirement for any competitor deemed a "finisher".

DAKARS "one strike and you are out" rule is tough... but that's part of what makes it... DAKAR.

If the "cut and run" format is what "change" requires... then there are desert cross country rallies that provide this already. That's not what DAKAR is... it's the plank that's 25 meters in the air... that NOT everybody or anybody can do.
  9. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Kayes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayes , the "pressure cooker of Africa" (in the Sahel, no dunes):

[​IMG]

Kiffa (dunes, I guess) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiffa

[​IMG]

Atar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atar,_Mauritania

[​IMG]

and north of here temperature should drop.

Catamarca (capital)

[​IMG]

La Rioja (capital)

[​IMG]
  10. Simon_R

Simon_R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deadly99 - Toby usually answers his own facebook messages if you want to make sure to tell him what the best desert racer in the world should do tomorrow...............

And while you are at it, why don't you call Coma and tell him you are available to set out the course for next year.

The arm chair experts sitting in front of their keyboards on here are hilarious!!

Simon,

In here on the f5irehose, every individual who wishes to articulate an opinion about this event, the particpants or the organisers of it, is welcomed and encouraged to do so - provided that they adhere to certain standards of conduct or good taste (and in saying that - we are pretty damned liberal in here). Some... nay many of the contributors on here wear their hearts on their sleeves and yes sometimes we let humour and the odd bit of sarcasm take its place amongst the serious bits. it's called letting off steam.

Your post - in stark contrast - does none of any of the above, contributes nothing of relevance to the discussion of the rally, the competitors or the results - other than to target one particular contributor and seek to elevate your own position in the armchair heirachy, by in some way intimating that you have some personal insight into the workings of Toby Price's thought processes - that are more encompassing than anyone else's here, merely becuase your facebook account apparently shares a common "friends" link with Toby's.

I dunno, maybe you are his best mate... maybe he text's YOU what he plans each night while marking up his road book roll... if so - please do tell. :ear

If you're here merely to witness the "armchair experts comments" for pure entertainment value... that's fine, sit down :stfu and enjoy the clown show. :fishie

If you would like to join the conversation, and can share some insight, opinion or even a bit of good natured ribbing... welcome. :wave

If your sole purpose was just to come on here insult people... thank's for your insight... we'll take it on board.

// Troy Carpenter
    AJ.., garfey, nry and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a little time before tomorrow's start. Will one of the complainers that know what a "real Dakar" is please contact Paulo, Juan Pedrero, Joan, Ivan, Ruben, Javier, or Daniel and ask if the 2016 Dakar was sufficiently difficult. They all have plenty of Dakar experience and their opinions would have some merit. Matthias might even have some thoughts even though he is a Dakar noob.

Dish up, there's still plenty for everybody.

""
    DesertSurfer, rickmdz and WIsixfitty like this.
  12. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to nomade racings FB page chris didn't start today, though glimmer of hope wise he s not in the withdrawal list. Am off to bed but fingers crossed its a mix up of some kind.
  13. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    Damn.
    dickosaurus likes this.
  14. Iron Horse

Oddometer:
    The puppy piling of Deadly99 is unbecoming of the F5. Either read his opinions or don't.
    Carlos M, garfey, homerj and 15 others like this.
  15. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    clearandlock and sick_boy like this.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike...

It would appear that is the case:

[​IMG]

Bummer.

You gave it all you had Corky... xx
    Carlos M, garfey, sick_boy and 4 others like this.
  17. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great analogy Troy - I suppose Barreda would be at a100 metres without a net - and without a plank! :jack
  18. Tye

Tye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry late to the party.
    Had a reply back from Carlton Kirby on Twitter

Carlton Kirby ‏@carltonkirby 1m1 minute ago
    . Only times on the top 20. Clocks stopped after neutralisation. Corky still in as far as I know. One of the best in blokedom!
    sick_boy likes this.
  19. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun?
    [​IMG]
  20. Iron Horse

Oddometer: