2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Tell us how you really feel Ted. Don't hold back, beat that thing!!! :dhorse :D:D:D

BTW, I agree with you. Competitors train hard to deal with everything that can be thrown at them. It's the only way to give credit where credit is due. To have an organization try to dictate the outcome of an event and lie through their teeth by saying it was for the protection of the competitors is a tough pill to swallow. Fucking ASOles. :finger

Sean :bmwrider
    Enduro10, neduro and Deadly99 like this.
  2. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Mischa :beer
  4. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
    Rebel X Sports

Day 13 - Connection 281 | Special Stage 431
    We're not to sure 100% about Manuel final position, because the stage got interrupted… is becoming an habit for when it gets to hot and some of the top riders are complaining..
    Day Stage
    1 - Antoine Meo | KTM Red Bull > 05:19:08
    42 - Manuel Lucchese | Yamaha Rebel > 07:06:42
    Variation > 01:47:34
    Overall Ranking
    1 - Toby Price | KTM Red Bull> 40:08:30
    45 - Manuel Lucchese | Yamaha Rebel > 52:00:30
    Variation > 11:52:00
    [​IMG]
    neduro, Deadly99 and yardracer like this.
  5. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
    tserts, twinie, London and 4 others like this.
  6. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com photos from stage 11, which have all been posted over in the Photo F5irehose for you. just for you.

but i cut the stage of photos short after photo #79 because my mouse got too hot. :hide

(just kidding, that's all they posted)

#2 - PAULO GONCALVES (PRT) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#23 - GERARD FARRES GUELL (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#12 - LAIA SANZ (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#312 - ROBBY GORDON (USA) / KELLON WALCH (USA) [GORDINI]
    [​IMG]
  7. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    HRC Racing FB

Paulo Gonçalves was forced to retire from the stage between La Rioja and San Juan today after a serious crash that led to the rider being airlifted to safety. The hopes of Team HRC, now without its top riders, rest in the hands of Dakar debutante Ricky Brabec, Paolo Ceci and the Honda South America Rally Team, who the team are supporting.

Gonçalves suffers the harshness of the Dakar. Team HRC resolve to go on fighting
    This report is in the following languages:

Paulo Gonçalves was forced to retire from the stage between La Rioja and San Juan today after a serious crash that led to the rider being airlifted to safety. The hopes of Team HRC, now without its top riders, rest in the hands of Dakar debutante Ricky Brabec, Paolo Ceci and the Honda South America Rally Team, who the team are supporting.

The eleventh stage was marked out in the roadbook as a day for attacking. Team HRC’s Paulo Gonçalves, at least, interpreted it that way and set out this morning with conviction, hoping to whittle down the advantage that the front runners held over him. Nevertheless, 118 kilometres into the timed section, the Portuguese rider fell heavily, suffered concussion and had to be airlifted by helicopter to the hospital in San Juan. After a thorough medical check and scan, doctors determined that the blow had resulted in neither fractures nor any serious consequences.

Team HRC’s remaining competitors in the race Ricky Brabec (USA) and Paolo Ceci (Italy) completed the special stage at a swift pace. Brabec continues to rub shoulders with the top ten rally elites, while Ceci had his work cut out starting from way down the field at La Rioja this morning. The Italian spent the day clawing back positions. By the time the competitors had crossed the finish-line in San Juan, he had made it into the leading thirty.

The red-hot youngsters at Honda South America Rally Team continue to excel and with just two days to go are firmly entrenched in the top ten. Argentinean Kevin Benavides sits fifth overall and the rider chosen by Honda Brazil, Frenchman Adrien Metge, is tenth. The future is looking bright for the team.
    cheekorollo and sick_boy like this.
  8. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    That does not make sense, 55c is past a point that humans can function & survive.

Here is the forecast for San Juan

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ar/san-juan/5952/daily-weather-forecast/5952

DW
  9. patagon

patagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mischa, very nice!! I use it al day to track the race.
    THANKS A LOT!!!
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

WC's :pynd
    640 Armageddon and sick_boy like this.
  11. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    what? Where I come from that's a bath room.....................:hide:lol3
    Deadly99 likes this.
  12. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com

Dakar Bikes, Stage 11: Price closes on victory, Goncalves crashes out

Toby Price took another step towards Dakar Rally victory after stretching his lead on Thursday, as Antoine Meo scored a second win and Paulo Goncalves crashed out.
    Trailing factory KTM teammate Meo at the first two waypoints, rally leader Price took control of the 431km La Rioja-San Juan stage at WP3, establishing a lead of nearly two minutes at the halfway point.

However, Meo fought back in the latter half, pipping Price by a mere 18 seconds at the finish to bag his second stage win of the rally in his maiden Dakar appearance.

Price nonetheless enjoys a healthy advantage of 35m23s over nearest rival Stefan Svitko (KTM) - who was seventh for the day - in the overall standings with only two stages remaining.

Husqvarna's Pablo Quintanilla was third on the stage, 2m48s slower than Meo, and was followed by the Yamaha duo of Helder Rodrigues and Adrien van Beveren.

Quintanilla slipped to fourth overall behind Meo, sitting less than two minutes behind the Frenchman in the battle for the final podium place, ahead of Kevin Benavides (Honda) and Rodrigues.

After two troubled days for Goncalves, which resulted in him falling from second to eighth in the standings, the factory Honda rider's rally came to abrupt end when he suffered a crash 118km into the stage.

The Portuguese was then reportedly found unconscious and airlifted to hospital, although the nature and extent of his injuries are unknown as of the time of writing.

Only 14 riders made it to the end of the stage before it was suspended for bikes and quads due to extreme heat, however, meaning the below results are highly likely to change before Friday's penultimate stage.
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    and that one

Al-Attiyah: X-raid "had to" protest against Peterhansel

Reigning Dakar champion Nasser Al-Attiyah reckons his X-raid team was left no option but to lodge a protest against Stephane Peterhansel's controversial refuelling in Monday's stage.
    Peterhansel, who has 11 Dakar wins to his name, is two days away from another victory, carrying a lead of about 52 minutes over Al-Attiyah, his nearest rival.

Earlier this week, the Frenchman found himself targeted by an X-raid complaint, the rival squad questioning the legality of him refuelling in the non-timed zone.

And while the stewards have cleared Peterhansel, X-raid subsequently vowed to appeal the decision, its boss Sven Quandt confident that the refuelling was not within the rules.

While Al-Attiyah himself noted he wasn't going to get involved in the issue, the Qatari has confirmed he agrees with the team's decision to protest.

"I do not want to worry about it," he told Motorsport.com. "The rules are the rules.

"The team decided to make a protest, whether it works out or not doesn't depend on me.

"We had to do it because they got an advantage, but that's not my job. My job is to manage the car and to secure the podium."
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    On my phone and cant seem to cut and paste from Facebook...Heartfelt post from Corky.

You gave it your all, well done Corky :clap :clap
  15. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    sI have drawn many roads (tracks) in Bolivia and Argentina. To see, where we could ride. So out of my chair. Learning about the possibilities of the countries.
    I looked at the video's, where is that, this, how many crossings, etc.
    And thought this is a good motorcycle track. But, hée, also a truck must ride there.
    Who's land/road can we ride on.
    Mainly, what is owned by the gobierno's, provincial/departementos etc., and maintained by them, these are the roads that are mostly be taken, roadbook tracks, yep, WRC is easy said, this is a big limitation, You can not deal with small (many) owners, there is this time limit, a year and Dakar is there, through mountain area's, there is mostly only one way to take, from village to village, yep, speedzones. And on the deepest line, there lays a river.
    In cultivated area's, agricultural area's, all is used to a purpose. Big left overs are hard to find, left over, the rios, mostly intermittent for a most part of the year, but hée, when it is raining.
    In non-cultivate area's, mostly around the mountains and dry zone area's, there are, these hot spots, where we go now for several years. There you must find the HP area's. But a day course of 350 km set out and do not ride it twice, is a achievement.
    Over the mountains, HP, mostly tracks are already there, water flows, when rains starting from the tops, over the years the erosion makes it's grooves that become lower and lower every year, impassable, see a lot of abandoned houses, some roads not suitable for trucks, bikes a adventure, but suddenly a erosion ridge and you can go back. Also water takes the easiest route over these roads and erosion does it works.

If you go in somewhere you must come out on the other side and have there good tracks, that gives you area's that you can not use because there is not a thoroughfare route.

If something happened it must be reachable, you see mostly CP ASS DSS near a ruta national.
    Where to cross a river on rainy days. And we took many on crucial points.
    See Piatek waterfall, mostly dry but when, there is a big stream, looked, where that water came from, looked not so impressive, as the waterstream flow was. You must have local knowledge, where, as if, not possible.
    Set out two tracks, bikes/cars, not big sections this year, two 350km SS separately multiple days is a big challenge.
    Mostly to give the bikers some air, no passing cars, and several where hit, I read in this years content.
    End then there are these gobierno's with there demands.

There is so much to think of,...........

We where lucky, Bolivia was dry!!!!! Belen was dry!!!!!! A night of heavy rain, you saw the Fiambala stage on several points, if there where more crucial crossing points in the water. Hell no, this is not "the Dakar". Yes, it is. It is a sandstorm or water. Swallow it. :1drink :1drinkNext year, a other year.

It is not that easy,.............
    Carlos M, dentvet, nry and 8 others like this.
  16. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:

ZOMG THANK YOU MISCHA!!!

These are my favorite graphs for watching how the stages progress. I'm glad I could help!! :D :D

Here's how these look, with a couple notes from my own experience watch them at my rallies.

http://i.imgur.com/9NixEhX.png

[​IMG]
    keepshoveling, BC61 and beechum1 like this.
  17. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    here it is.

Chris Cork fb
    easier reading version

"Day 11: The Main track was completely unrideable due to trucks and cars. The bike just would not go in that amount of soft sand.
    I had to ride off piste which was great but to get to waypoints it was back onto the main tracks.

Bike in 1st gear,full throttle, clutch out but the engine could not turn the wheel in these conditions.One into this terrain the only way out was to get off the bike and push. Literrally wasted hours trying to find a way out from the soft stuff at every... point.

Anything more than flat and the bike was not going to move!!!!! I battled on into the night but then came across ............... the biggest hill cimb of soft sand i have seen.

It was endless and after mahy different route attempts and having to push the bike I had to throw in the towel. I called control to say I would get some sleep and continue in the morning. They agreed .

At 3am I was then called and told I could no longer continue - Game Over.

Its easy to look back and say what if. I went everything went into a downhill snowbal effect after the joys of Day 4. Battling at the bac was always going to be difficult. Teh day I went out I wasted an hour (with many other riders) trying to find way point 7 - should have taken the penalty and carried on. Also I should not have given 3/4 of an hour to a rider with no fuel!!!

I gave it my all and I can sleep well knowing that but yes Im devastated.

There will no other Dakar attempt - The stresses on family and money needed cannot be repeated."
    Chris Cork fb
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Pleasure in the sand

A debutant on the Dakar, Ian Blythe distinguished himself by grabbing eighth place on the eleventh stage of the rally, a resounding success which says a lot about the young American rider's potential.

• [​IMG]
    Sat in the shade of his canopy, Ian Blythe is chewing the fat with a group of Argentinean spectators who have come to congratulate him on his performance today. On his first Dakar, the American rider is one of the fourteen bikers to have reached the finish on the 430 kilometre special on the eleventh stage of the rally. It is 5 PM and it is still hot on the tarmac of the San Juan racing circuit that is playing host to the Dakar bivouac on 14th January. With a dusty face and his hair all over the place, the American rider does not look like he has suffered much in the scorching sand on which so many competitors got stuck. “You know, this morning when I woke up, I didn't feel too great,” he admits. “I went to sleep late and got up at 3 o'clock in the morning. I set off on the link section feeling like I hadn't slept at all. I was spaced out…” Fortunately, at the age of 24 years, he has good physical resources to call upon. “I woke up quickly when we reached the special,” he continues. “It was nice and I started to catch up with the guys who had set off before me. That helped me with the navigation. I set off in eleventh place and I managed to keep a good pace up until the end”. Since the rest day, Ian Blythe says he has been really enjoying himself. “It's what I expected of the Dakar,” he explains. “I didn't like the first week. It was just tracks on which you had to ride very fast. It was very dangerous because you could get caught out at any moment. Personally, I prefer sand and navigation, so I've been in for a real treat here”. Astonishingly, the young man who won the Dakar Challenge on the Australian Safari 2014 had not ridden his bike before the prologue. “I didn't prepare at all for this Dakar,” he acknowledges. “But given how I'm enjoying myself, I'm going to do my utmost to come back next year with a new bike and properly prepared”.
    [​IMG]
    Jeremias Gonzalez wants more of everything next year

The sensation on the last two Dakar rallies, which he finished in 6th and 2nd places, the quad rider from Cordoba believes he has messed up his Dakar, despite being 5th and two places away from the podium the day before the finish…

• [​IMG]
    “It was very hot. You could even say I suffered today,” sniffs Jeremias Gonzalez on arrival at the bivouac in San Juan. His Dakar has not gone as he would have hoped. There have been no major setbacks, “but an accumulation of small snags and minor errors…” The young quad rider form Cordoba (aged 21 years), is no longer thinking of doing better than in 2015 when he finished 2nd. “I know what I'm missing: more training. More of everything, in fact…” His disappointment concerns his preparation which he believes was not sufficiently demanding, especially for someone who was openly aiming for overall victory on this edition. Two days from the finish, he was in 3rd place and dissatisfied. “I should have trained more, prepared better and especially rode more. But the removal of Peru from the rally threw a spanner in the works for me, because the Desafio Inca was also cancelled. I didn't find any decent races to reach the required pace to tackle a Dakar that has been very tough this year…” What's more, on the stage between La Rioja and San Juan, the famous little snags continued to haunt him: “I set off from the back somewhat, in 9th position, and it was difficult. I also got my back wheels stuck in a zone of fesh-fesh and had to push the quad out by myself. But if I'm honest with myself, I haven't been excellent. That summarises my Dakar…” With a bit of hope, a podium finish might be attainable, but the category is very competitive this year…
    [​IMG]
    A first taste and hunger for more

At the age of almost fifty years, Livio Metelli is taking part in his first Dakar. His first experience of the rally has so far been a success, encouraging the Italian to think about next time…

• [​IMG]
    It is not the first time that Livio Metelli has travelled along the tracks of the Dakar. A friend and preparer of Alessandro Botturi, the Italian has already come to the rally-raid several times to assist the Yamaha rider. As an enduro biker himself, the idea of participating in the Dakar gradually gained ground. “As I watched all the others set off in the morning to get to grips with the special stages, the idea started to germinate in my mind,” admits the native of Brescia who will be celebrating his half century in April. This year, Livio decided to take the leap. Well prepared and in good shape, he has managed to get through the first ten days of racing without too many mishaps. Even the difficult special between Rioja and San Juan did not defeat his ambitions, namely taking part in the finishing ceremony in Rosario to celebrate his first Dakar. “This special was really very hard,” says the Italian. “I'm not unhappy that it was stopped at CP4. The sand was very fine and very soft with a huge amount of dust. With the heat as well, it was very demanding. At the same time, this week is like what I expected the Dakar to be. We are here to outdo ourselves”. Is he ready to come back next year? “I hope so,” he replies. “This first experience has given me the desire to return, in any case, but before even thinking about next year, I have to finish this year's rally first”. Only two days left…
    [​IMG]
    Alberto Ontiveros: a pure Dakar enthusiast from San
    Juan

Severely tested on the arrival in Bolivia, Argentinean Alberto Ontiveros has finally returned to his home region of San Juan with the satisfaction of a job well done and ready to complete his third consecutive Dakar.

• [​IMG]
    “This is my home!” Alberto Ontiveros removes his helmet and looks around the rocky cirque surrounding the bivouac at San Juan. “Can you see that track there? On the side of the mountain opposite? That's where I train”. Alberto, already two completed Dakar rallies in his bag in the previous two years, in 42nd and 49th positions, knows how to handle this race. However, this year, the trade and marketing consultant almost overstepped his limits. “I broke two engines. The first one was at the finish in Termas de Rio Hondo, but it was very near the bivouac and I was able to get there without too much trouble. However, on the marathon stage between Jujuy and Uyuni I had a crazy experience: 300 kilometres on the end of a tow rope, pulled by Claudio Bustamante. He's a mate of mine. When he saw me, he said, ‘I'm not going to leave you here'. It took us 12 hours…” His satisfaction in reaching his native San Juan, this furnace of a place where he is nevertheless at ease, is understandable. “This stage was hard, but characteristic of a stage on the Dakar”. Alberto is not really thinking about the next Dakar, even if it stops off in San Juan. “You know,” he says, “I'm happy to be here. I'm going to see my family, sleep in my own bed before setting of early tomorrow morning. As for the next Dakar, it's the sponsors more than the route which will decide whether I'm here or not…”
    [​IMG]
    tehdutchie, daryl, homerj and 3 others like this.
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Theory: make an easy year to attract more CV'S next year.
  20. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Air temp in my part of the world is measured in a white box of certain dimensions etc etc etc...not by a hand held thermometer held in the sun. Although it obviously sounds better to say 50 or 55 for the audience drama it is clearly incorrect :dllama:.

[​IMG]
    640 Armageddon and yardracer like this.