2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Jordi Farres was a factory KTM rider a few years ago riding with Marc Coma and Jordi Villadoms

Ivan Cervantes , 4 time world enduro champion ,has been racing for KTM for a lot of years .Seems to be riding pretty steady and not riding as fast as Meo , but equally capable ,maybe just a bit more reserved .
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  2. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gutted for Ondrej. Gutted for Corky. Gutted for CR. The work required to be there, the sacrifices they have made all year long... the risks taken, the money spent... but I firmly believe it is not all for naught. It is about the journey and the trust placed in yourself, even if it did not wind up how they wanted.

Another crash while going straight ahead.

It's interesting- in most forms of motorcycle racing, the crashes come in turns, but in Rally, over and over, the big crashes are on straightaways. All that fuel gets moving in the wrong direction (up) and it is game over. I saw it over and over again in 2012, you can get away with so much energy going into the rear shock, and it's no big deal. Just a little bit more, and it gets very ugly. The same thing doesn't happen on an MX bike without all that gas, you can rev and recover.

Glad he's (mostly) OK.
  3. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Would adding fuel cell foam help ?
  4. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    55°C in San Juan bibouac seem too much, and they even speaks of 58°C in Belén. We might give bikes and quads that little white boxey for the heat :hmmmmm :lol3
    rickmdz likes this.
  5. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really, it isn't so much the slosh but more so the extra mass
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  6. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this differential is something easily dismissed or overlooked by those who haven't experienced it. The conditions are often drastically different and it can effect more than just the tail end of the field.
    tehdutchie, wrk2surf and DruncleWill like this.
  7. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    you mean the heat index.....we have that in Texas in the summer, too.

that's the toaster oven setting........
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Ok lets see Farres broke his back a few years ago and in 14 helped a hallucinating rider. Ivan Cervantes used to have a KTM model named after him and an enduro champ as well Cerruti is an Italian champ I believe..

GO FRANNY GO MANNY !!

and

GO

USA !!!
  9. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    • 18:35 : San Juan-Villa Carlos Paz: closer to home
      One day from the end of the race, you could say that the competitors could relax a little even if they are unable to not yet savour the return to Rosario. Wrong! This penultimate stage will quite simply be the longest on the 38th edition with 931 kilometres to be covered.On the programme for this end of the rally jamboree are medium altitude mountains and vegetation alongside quite narrow tracks. Indeed, this characteristic means that the trucks will have to take a special link section as from the 267 kilometre stage on the special. For the other competitors, they should obviously remain on the defensive in order to avoid ruining their race 24 hours from the finish. In short, it will be another stage that is far from easy.

for todays weather forecast Accuweather has kindly provided RealFeel :amazon
    High 91° 31.8c RealFeel® 92° 33.3c Precipitation 7%
    • SE 8 mph
    • Gusts: 13 mph
    Mostly sunny and nice

• Max UV Index: 9 (Very High)
    • Thunderstorms: 24%
    • Precipitation: 0 in
    • Rain: 0 in
    • Snow: 0 in
    • Ice: 0 in
    • Hours of Precipitation: 0 hrs
    • Hours of Rain: 0 hrs
    Lets go racing
    GO TOBY! GO LAIA!
  10. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just back home and to the PC so I have no clue what's been going on since news of the most recent stage shortening. I'll catch up later, just to puff up the little grey calls a bit, but what I note right off is (& prob'ly :205):

#111 Sylvain Espinasse on the 125 2-smoker was on stage 21hr56min05sec. Ladies and Germs, that's a looong time! I don't give a fig about the pros up front; this is what it's all about . . . . . or was intended to be.
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    :bow:bow:bow

Corky?????
    Not on the Withdrawals List, apparently DNS on the stage. No clue!
  11. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Yup that would be it, just didn't know it had a name :)
    yardracer likes this.
  12. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for that, especially in the desert. When I was working in the giant dunes Rub' al Khali desert between UAE and Yemen doing seismic research (long time ago), we lived in the desert for months at a time in the summer too, running electronics trucks often in deep sand bowls that hit over 180F ambient when the open sabkhas were 100-120F. The 6-wheel drive articulated sand buggie recording trucks with reefer-box crew quarters housing the reel-to-reel recorders had to be kept at 60F and outside was 150-180F, and the sand even hotter. We all had to wear leather boots so as to not burn our feet outside, and wear insulated jackets in the electronics box. Stepping out into the super-hot sun and sauna-heat air was always shock! I know heat stroke, been there twice and it almost did me in.

I do feel for those backfield riders fighting their way forward and working many times harder than the elite front-runners in chopped up track, but that is the Dakar, and the snowball.
    Carlos M, dickosaurus, garfey and 7 others like this.
  13. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may have been mentioned but isn't there still a cloud of a penalty hanging over Mr dakars head re; re-fueling?

@tileman

TSC EDIT: No... he was cleared by the FIA jury the night before last.
    X-Raid have said they will take it to the International appeal with FIA... that means after the event is over... no one cares (and unlikely the FIA will overturn).
    Peugeot made sure the "fuel dump" was signed off with the ASO prior to the rally . so even if not under the rules as precisely laid out... they had it authorized.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    ^^^

Well, that pretty much confirms it (at least to me). Nasser is keeping "nice" in the press, while still appearing to support his (current) teams actions/protest.

Who wants to bet that Al Attiyah takes his cheque book (and at least attempts) to buy himself a seat in a PUG for 2017...? :ear
    garfey, beechum1, Deadly99 and 2 others like this.
  15. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great AdvRider resource; generally.

I have been following the Dakar for 20 years or so and just about every year has controversy and heartbreak. Last year was the lake killing Riaan van Niekerk's bike, this year Corky going out.

But to the stage shortening. I'm way off Dakar type stuff as a rider but have ridden an MTB stage race with temperatures over 40C (and plenty of social dirtbike rides). The son of a friend died of heat exhaustion on a social dirtbike ride here). When you feel your bike's frame hot to the touch, lukewarm water feels freezing and you easily drink 10 litres during the day it is a little scary. So I think Coma made the correct but unpalatable decision. As another inmate noted, the Dakar may only be a few deaths away from extinction. I think the background to the "problem" is that Dakar is a race where the pro's at the absolute peak of the sport race the same brutal course as guys who are true amateurs with only a few years of dirt bike riding and some dedicated training (and money) behind them. And, of course, the amateurs start later when the son is well up and have to ride the chewed up sand; although they may have tracks to follow. So maybe the answer is similar to extreme enduro (like the Roof of Africa) where you have different classes. Gold is properly extreme for the pro's (Graham Jarvis won this year) and a day could take an average rider 3 days. Silver is in between and Bronze is a shorter, relatively easier route for the dedicated amateur who still needs to be very fit, a good rider and lucky, to finish; but a pro would knock off before morning tea break.

As to the race I think we are seeing a changing of the guard; again. The future may belong to Price, Brabec, Sunderland, Meo (?) et al yes and Barreda (maybe). Is it possible that Coma (and maybe Depres before him) saw this and hung up his/their boots before ending up like Goncalves (much as I would like the tough and unlucky Portuguese to win) with multiple big crashes from just trying too hard?
    Carlos M, garfey, too old and 5 others like this.
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which begs the question, what is the smallest displacement moto to ever finish the Dakar? I remember a couple of Vespas that started back in the African days but they never finished. Does Sylvain make some kind of record if successful?
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  17. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    I will bet that he does but I don't suppose anyone will take the bet.
    garfey and troy safari carpente like this.
  18. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Well this was 150cc IIRC but a 4 stroke. So what 15hp max?
    [​IMG]
  19. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    That made it all the way to the finish? What's the story? 150cc 4t of that era is probably more like 10HP
  20. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Many posts back saw a posting that he was cleared of that after review by the orga.
    640 Armageddon likes this.