2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey boss,
    I like the new livery.

[​IMG]
    kaia, Carlos M, Deadly99 and 3 others like this.
  2. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's really sad for Corky, Dakar wears everything.... finances, spirit, body ... :(
    Knowing that as he mentioned that he gave his best, I'd say that's enough for a reward. Last year is was an accident, but this year it was ... ...

It is also really sad for Laia. I wonder if anybody (@Myway) can actually tell the exact distance that the race has been shortened to.

I take this goes to the 'bitches' (as you say) that have the opinion that this Dakar is not what it used to be and it is easier than the previous ones. If that is not the case, I'd like to apologise for the following post. But if it is, read below.

I think that you call Miss Laia Sanz a bitch, you call Mr David Casteu to STFU and some others that actually are in there and have raced in Dakar so many miles that we, all together may not race, collectivelly in our life. I take it also that you just called me a 'bitch' , you called @troy safari carpente a bitch, cause in some posts I/he expresses, with reasoning, his opinion. You called half of the thread bitches, and even journalist Elisabetta Caracciolo, whom's opinion you can find here:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...he-mother-ship.1113555/page-335#post-28438965
    and @neduro who in some of his posts have shared his opinion about the race. Mind you he run Dakar. All that with a reason of? Of what? May be you have run Dakar, I don't know, and I do not assume until you tell me the facts, but let's not start calling names each other e?

I see this forum, and especially this thread as a friendly thread that we can all share our opinions, even the people that do not write that much, even ones that have two posts altogether, and that their opinion is as equal as mine. I am not trying to convince anybody here, especially in subjects that we, altogether, don't have the exact knowledge and we create opinions from experience, some facts from people on the ground, some facts from people that we talk in the bivouac and some biased factors. I like to read people's opinions even if they are different to mine because that's how the human brain operates. You start questioning yourself about other opinions that you may have not approached and then you 'open' your mind. You also learn facts, from people that actually have been in previous Dakars or have people on the ground on this one.

So, even though I am no moderator (used to be in other sites and it's a hell of a task... ) I would kindly like to point you to this post:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...he-mother-ship.1113555/page-334#post-28438766

If the link does not work for you, here it is:
    I would not like to see this thread becoming a place that we could start calling names each other ''just because'', or assuming that people do not have racing experience because they write behind a keyboard. Some people here may have actually been to Dakar as a riders, some others as heli pilots, some others know people in the bivouac and talk to them every day etc. It's never nice to 'assume' who is behind the keyboard.

I'd like to apologise for the long post.
    It's a friendly post and not a personal one,
    D.
  3. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Svitko:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    chasbo, Carlos M, garfey and 3 others like this.
  4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    David Castera Spanish

French, former maker of the roads of Dakar, is debuting in this edition the new role of co-pilot, which meant you an enormous challenge but he admitted, "it's much more relaxed" than his former occupation, when to get up each day "had the problem of 2,000 people".

In an interview with Telam, this 47 year old French, which breathes Dakar (motorcycle racer was for five years, he worked in the Organization, was its sports director nine years and now is Cyril Despres Navigator), does not hesitate to say that his new job is less stressful.

"There are 2,000 differences between being race director and co-driver: when he was at the head of the Dakar with Etienne (Lavigne), it had in mind the problems of competitors, 2,000 people in general, and now I have only my problem", recognizes bluntly Castéra, while searching for repair of the merciless sun of the Rioja-style evening.

However, it was not him easy to decide to spend drawing roads of Dakar and solve the problems of life, to sit in the right seat of the Peugeot of Cyril Despres.

"I'm very relaxed because this change also helped me to take a little bit of a working distance of so much pressure, but that left me very happy for what we did with Etienne and teams. I learned much of the part of the Organization", said Castera, who lived together for four years to his wife and two children in the neighborhood of Belgrano.

With openness and humility that characterizes it, Castera says without hesitation that he came to Technopolis with fear before the challenge of being a co-driver, even though many told him that there was no reason to fear with all that he had already made in the Dakar.

"I got scared, also because it is something completely different than what was used, is a completely new job." "Many people say: ´tu did many things antes´, but go next to a pilot who goes well and he wants to go fast as Cyril is very different", explains.

In that regard, he stressed that for this Dakar "I had everything to learn", from how it is the car, how each piece and how to combine this in full competition with all its variables.

"Of course, Cyril to charge me for the road map. Sometimes when I say, looking at the road-book, and why they did this? He tells me: ´Ahhh, did you see? "They do the same as you did before. ´ Oh, shit!, you constesto"

"Temperature, shock absorbers, brakes, bend, not to bend and at the same time explaining to my pilot where you should go. So in the early stages I felt it a little complicated but now I feel more comfortable. Every day that passes I feel much better,"is sincere.

His old job, that that ever said how much more happier pilots cursing it felt because he had then drawn a very complicated stage, today is a cause for jokes with his pilot Despres.

"Of course, Cyril charge me and makes me jokes on the roadmap. Sometimes when I say, looking at the road-book, and why they did this? He tells me: ´Ahhh, did you see? "They do the same as you did before. ´ Oh, shit!, you constesto", entrusts laughingly Peugeot brand new Navigator.

The French duo, exit the motorcycle category Queen of the Dakar, spreads praise for the progress that each has had at this time, who was crowned in the tenth etap, between Bethlehem and La Rioja with a flawless second place.

Is close to the time of studying the road-book made by alien hands and Castéra says goodbye with a phrase that his traveling companion devotes every morning: "Cyril tells me: David, if you don't have respect for the Dakar, is the Dakar which will win".
  5. wasabi46

wasabi46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding Mario Patrao, if the Dakar goes this rout (Baja/WRC style) I would not count him out. Think I saw stuff referring to him on the forum when he was here on the Suzuki, so I guess he is not a new name around here.
    He is stunningly fast around that stuff, this Dakar is pretty much the first time he is on that bike, he spent all year training with a normal 450 adapted to rally, him being so far up is a bit of a surprise (even for him). He is also quite a tough guy, would say similar to Gonk, but his background is not motocross.
    He was the one that helped Gonk doing the engine change few days back.
    Regarding the new guard arriving, guess its inevitable, but as Fabrizio well demonstrated ... you can still dream, no matter the age
    Carlos M, K_N_Fodder and Rato Molhado like this.
  6. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess most are stuk behind their computer screens, voicing their opinions..

They might even say you shouldn't have bothered organising anything..

They want live timing, live updates, live videos but don't care if your competitors make it out alive, 'cause they can say whatever they want..

Hey, if you organise it for 2017 and make it a 5 day event (excluding prologue) I'll fly in. Not for their enjoyment, but my own!
    garfey likes this.
  7. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lovely insight!
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  8. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stage 12
    special release
    Debido a las condiciones meteorológicas, la especial ha sido acortada.
    En vista de que el recorrido ha quedado impracticable, la carrera de camiones tocará a su fin en el CP3.

El sector cronometrado comenzará tras el CP1 inicial (km 112,91) y finalizará en el kilómetro 314, de acuerdo con lo previsto.

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/stage-13/special-release.html#ancre

and the same info on other stages!!!!!!!!!

Website jokes

[​IMG]
  9. Weldr

Weldr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF you look at the pics of Svitko's bike you will see a spare muffler clamp on the can
    Rato Molhado and 640 Armageddon like this.
  10. R3zn1k

R3zn1k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't find the picture at the moment.
    He uses the clamp to carry a spare sprocket.
    Carlos M and Rato Molhado like this.
  11. too old

too old Keen supporter

Oddometer:
    Even for where we live that's f5ing hot - the ADDC rarely gets much over 40 as its early April!
    Carlos M and 640 Armageddon like this.
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Just caught up as I have to board a plane.
    Interesting theory. The numbers have been dropping and this year is much lower again.
    I'd like to mention very very very very quietly that mine went in before this edition.
  13. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:

Hush now :)
    nry likes this.
  14. Afterdark

Afterdark Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a feeling you'd like to have a crack.:nod
    nry likes this.
  15. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Cars: Toyota coming up on the blindside

Whilst the internal duel in the Peugeot team then the combat with Mini drew the attention, Toyota have almost been forgotten. However, on checking the overall ranking with two stages to go before the end of the Dakar 2016, it can be said that this vintage is far from being a bad year for the Japanese constructor. Giniel De Villiers currently occupies 3rd in the overall ranking whilst Leeroy Poulter lies in 5th, meaning there are two Toyotas in the top five, which is better than Peugeot! Looking slightly lower down in the overall ranking, Vladimir Vasyliev is in 8th position and Yazeed Alrajhi, the revelation of the Dakar 2015, is at the gates to the top 10.
    Developed on the basis of a petrol-powered Lexus RCF V8 essence), unlike Peugeot and Mini who opted for Diesel, the Toyota Hilux has become more powerful. Such power made observes think that the drivers could have taken advantage of a first week mainly made up of WRC type tracks. Whilst Bernhard Ten Brinke managed to triumph in the prologue, on the other hand when faced with Sébastien Loeb in his element, the rest of the challenge instantly becomes more complicated, not only for the official Toyotas.
    Dominated during the first week, the brand's official drivers, led by Giniel De Villiers, have let their experience do the talking on a second week that has been closer to the spirit of rally-raids. Taking advantage of his Hilux's reliability and avoiding problems, which was not the case for the Minis and even less so for Peugeot, the South African has perhaps not finished his progress up the rankings. There are two stages left to contest including today's special and it is not unimaginable to believe that the Dakar has not yet delivered its final verdict. Will the Toyota drivers be able to seize the opportunity? Watch this space...
    homerj, silverstone and ArthDuro like this.
  16. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    Good morning guys, or good afternoon, wherever you are!

I’m sorry to ask this and to point it out, don’t want to piss off all of the Aussies here, because you are really some nice people.

BUT.

…this is a screenshot of the stage, yesterday. First, why on earth did they stop the stage at CP2, when clearly at CP4 they had 75 riders from 87 who started? That’s like 90% of the total riders.

Also, (sorry Aussies!) why did we have 85 guys at CP1, 85 at CP2, 71 at CP3, AND 75 AT CP4?!?

Doesn’t this mean 4 riders did not go through CP3, because its a manual control point?

And that said, isn’t weird that could explain the stage stopping at CP2?

Sorry again Aussies, i really like TP, he is making a hell of a race, his navigation is faultless, even when opening the track. That’s when you see someone who clearly has what it is needed to win the Dakar.

But, i have to ask… WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!

Just trying to get it!

[​IMG]

@twinie

Good morning twinie,

Sometimes we have to make allowance for language/translations differences in here (we are a diverse family) and also taking into account that we have tired folk in times zones all around the globe... i will try to answer your questions. :deal

Firstly, I don't really understand why you are (repeatedly) appologizing to the "Aussies" for this glitch in the scoring/results. There is not an Australian that has a thing to do with them. Perhaps you are inferring that the "result" indicates TP "missed" a waypoint/checkpoint.

If you go to cliffnotes and open the 1st page index, there is a link to the play by play highlights og the SS11. The "problem" with the timing/scoring is chroncled there. it was - as most of us have come to understand this week, just yet another example of the "spotty" tracking/scoring glitches that have followed the results since Day1.

As far as your question as why the race was cancelled at CP2, but 90% onf the MOTOS finished. The simple answer is - ONLY THE QUADS race was terminated at CP2. dakar.com is also a wealth of information that you can find out information about the DAKAR rally. :deal

Lastly, in the quad race the special was halted at CP2 (after 243 km). Alejandro Patronelli was victorious, 59 seconds ahead of Brian Baragwanath and his brother Marcos (who finished 1'16'' behind), though these gaps were recorded at CP4 (after 396 km). If these times are validated, the race could be in the balance again because Alejandro would only be 18 seconds behind his brother...

thanks for being part of the f5irehose.
    kaia, Brtp4, sprouty115 and 2 others like this.
  17. HumphreyBear

HumphreyBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yaya!! Awesome. And it means I don't need to make the animated bubbles because I can see everything there. Thanks again for you hard work!!
  18. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Twinie
    Today is a new day.
    There are several back pages here to fill your requests.....plus a ton of websites describing yesterdays events.

hope this helps

Anybody wanna lay down any predictions for today ??? Hahaha
    Looks like a tough day
  19. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    Yep i know, i've been keeping up with you guys everyday. And reading some info around, and did not get it.

Just trying to understand better these kind of things, because i have done a few RB navigation rallyes around here and found that info, well, strange.
    Sorry guys :beer
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  20. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    No worries mate.
    Yesterday was pretty confusing.
    Easier not to try and figure it out hahaha
    Boondoggle likes this.