2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Tomas Kocanda

Tomas Kocanda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Svitko 3rd. He want to stay on podium!!!
  2. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think some of us weekend warrior racers (I know that many of the F5 crew are *actual* racers) might tend to forget over time how fast these folks are, right down into the back markers. I crashed on a buddy's couch the night before last who (in my mind) is a super fast dude. He's raced against Scott and Ian in Colorado and kept remarking to me how incredibly fast Laia must be to be ahead in this field.
  3. Desert boots

Desert boots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That 125cc monkey bike was run in 2009 - it was as cute as a pin. The rider had already done the Dakar several times and rode the Monkey bike to promote his shop in Czech Republic IIRC. He timed out on the 4th day ( might have been 3rd ? ), but beat a dozen other riders on the first couple of days - including the 2 Chinese dudes on their old air cooled XR250's.
    Sundowner and Jimmy the Heater like this.
  4. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    It's interesting, David Casteu has made this point a couple of times this year... really makes it feel like a changing of the guard. Man I'd like to meet Casteu someday, he seems like a hell of a guy.
  5. Tomas Kocanda

Tomas Kocanda Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want, I´m pretty sure Ivo will build you one. Probably with pleasure. He is now really focused on production of electric trikes for handicaped people - what does not look like handicapped vehicles and is possible to use them in the light offroad - like trails or gravel roads etc.
    K_N_Fodder likes this.
  6. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Toby hasn't really lifted off has he...fastest through that section (wp3-4):bow
  7. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea what he means about Peugeot and the course closures? I don't see a link.
    homerj likes this.
  8. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Cycleworld.com

DAKAR RALLY: 100-Percent Americana Meet the Ico Racing/Rally Pan Am team, the only 100-percent American bike squad in the Dakar Rally.
    January 13, 2016 By Maria Guidotti 0 Comments
    Photographer : Rally Zone: Bauer-Barni
    [​IMG]

The number of Americans competing in the Dakar Rally increases year after year, and the 2016 edition sees a record number of five motorcycle riders, in addition to four drivers in the car category with the Gordini duos of Robby Gordon/Kellon Walch, and 18-year-old rookie Sheldon Creed/Jonah Street. Of note, both Gordon team co-drivers are off-road motorcycle racing veterans with bike victories in the Dakar Rally among long lists of other championships and Baja wins.

With 24-year old Californian Ricky Brabec 8th overall on his factory Honda after the 9th stage, American fans have a frontrunner to cheer for in this new wonder kid. But the list of fellow countrymen tackling Dakar on two wheels is longer thanks to a 100-percent U.S.-comprised team that aims to raise new talent and bring more American riders into the toughest rally in the world in the future. The team is called the ICO Racing/Rally Pan Am Team, and can boast participating in the Daker 11 times. Two years ago, Dave Peckham and Scott Bright took over the team from Charlie Rauseo and Dakar legend Jonah Street. Well known in the Baja and Sonora rallies as the largest squad–with as many as 12 riders–the Ico Racing/Rally Pan Am team stands out as they also provide training and equipment for their riders.

[​IMG]

“We are the only organization in the U.S. that is involved in rallies full time,” said Dave Peckham, owner of ICO, the company that manufacturers the rally odometers for the factory KTM, Husqvarna, Yamaha and Sherco bikes. “Considering the prohibitive costs of the rally, we are just four strong in the Dakar. Phillip Bowman and I are the mechanics, while Ian Blythe (#106), and Scott Bright (#105) are our two pro riders.”

Blythe is the 2015 Brazilian Enduro Champion and together with Bright they are winners of multiple medals at the ISDE (International Six Days Enduro). “Endurance and familiarity with international competition are keys to choosing our riders,” adds Peckham. “The Dakar is an extreme race of two weeks, so you need to be a complete rider. Speed alone is not enough.”

The team’s choice of riders has paid off, and at the end of Stage 9, as the rally entered the most demanding phase in the dunes of Fiambala, Blythe was in 32nd position in the overall standings and Bright in 57th.

[​IMG]

“My goal is to develop more American competitors and help the Baja and Sonora Rallies grow so that one day they might be part of the Dakar Challenge,” said Peckham. “Blythe won the Dakar challenge in 2015 competing in the Australasian Safari in Australia. He was awarded the $25,000 Dakar entry fee for free, but couldn’t raise enough budget to compete, so we lost the opportunity. I’m happy because this year we could make it happen.”

“A bucket-list rider should count on spending $85,000 to do Dakar. This includes a bike, entry fee, support and spare parts,” says co-owner and team rider Scott Bright. “It’s not easy for an American team. Just think about the fact that we had to ship our bikes and chase truck to Le Havre, in France, only then is the shipping price to South America included in our entry fee. In the end, it costs the same to ship directly to Argentina or to France, but the organizer, the ASO, can guarantee smoother customs clearance if it’s included amongst its own shipments. It’s only more complicated from a logistics point of view because the vehicles need to be ready one month earlier.”

[​IMG]

“I’m happy but a bit frustrated, because with a private KTM it’s difficult to fight with the factory riders, their bikes are much faster,” said 24-year old Colorado resident Blythe. “The first week of the rally was much faster and dangerous than what I expected. In the second week we tackled the dunes. I was looking forward to them as I was ready for the ‘off piste stages’. Peckham has a training school so we trained a lot in the dunes and also with navigation.”

“I’m excited to be here,” said Bright who has been riding motorcycles since he was 12. “It’s my first Dakar. I’m stunned by the support we have from the local people, they really enjoy the sport. There have been long days so far but I had a lot of fun and the landscapes are amazing. It has been a trial. Dakar is a real challenge and I wanted to be part of it. I like the thrill and the adventure. I’ve always got a thrill out of going fast on two wheels. Living on the edge when you push a motorcycle makes me feel alive. Ian and I have competed in several ISDE events and also in the Enduro National Championship; we are teammates but also good friends.”

[​IMG]

The other two Americans competing in the motorcycle class are both HT Husqvarna Rally Raid team-mounted riders, and although you may not yet have heard of Alexander Smith, you surely have heard of his legendary father Malcolm. Following in dad’s footsteps has taught 30-year old Smith a thing or two about suffering for long days in the saddle, having won the Ironman class at the Baja 1000. “The long days are not a problem,” said Smith. “We have a home in Colorado, so I spent a lot of time there adapting to the altitude issue. But the way I prepared really changed after doing the Morocco rally. It was different to what I was expecting. The speeds are much higher than I thought.”

The fifth American, Carroll Gittere, is also competing with the HT Husqvarna Rally Raid team. Formally a road racer and Isle of Man TT competitor from Charlotte, North Carolina, this year is Gittere’s first in the Dakar. “When I was accepted in the race back in June, I decided to move to Nevada to train,” Gittere said. “I rented a camper van and left my home in Charlotte. I haven’t been home since. I didn’t grow up on dirt bikes so I needed to live in the desert. This year, I’ll just try to finish it. I have no illusions on my placement.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    It would appear they can...

When the 450cc rule came in (2011 for the Pros) there was concern that the current generation of MX-derived engines wouldn't be able to last the distance, so engines were changed as a matter of course half-way through the race (on rest-day typically) just as a precaution.

More recently, we've seen the factories (KTM and Honda particularly) invest heavily in the reliability element of these dedicated Rally derivatives of their engines - not least because with the front runners all so incredibly close these days, they simply cannot afford to change an engine unless it is absolutely essential.

There is also the evolution of the bikes and the rules - as long as the engine is not physically removed from the frame and/or the cases split, anything above the cylinder base gasket is fair game to change without incurring a penalty these days - so that means valves, pistons, rings and even barrels can be changed - and the bikes' frames designed to accommodate that work without removing the engine itself.

Personally I think it's a fantastic example of how racing can actually improve the breed for mainstream motorcycles - with 450cc making more power than the old carb-fed 650s these days, I think we're seeing an overall reduction in size and weight compared to the traditional dual-sport class, while maintaining the power and reliability of what was considered benchmark before? The 650cc thumper is dead - long live the 450!

Jx
  10. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super stuff, right there.
    :bow:bow:bow
  11. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    I really don't want to go to work right now but darnit. Hold down the fort for me folks, everyone ride fast and be safe!
    twinie likes this.
  12. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Apologies', this came off totally wrong. Total respect to all who are involved in racing as racers and organizers. I know how much is given even at the local level let alone the longest and hardest race. I was tired of reading post after post of how the finishers this year would be some how diminished and the arm chair second guessing. The posts regarding how the rear of the field is from a different perspective is on point.

Totally came off wrong and I am not the best at expressing my self in writing either . Sorry to offend, it was not my intent to turn this into a JM worthy post
  13. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    I did a weekend's worth of "rally" with a Dakar finisher once. It's a wonderful yardstick to use in comparing to the top 15 riders in this event. And how utterly pathetic of a Walter-Mitty-wanna-be I am. :rofl But just that very small taste has me loving this sport. Oh to be 30 years younger.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    @Desert boots

Sorry... I was committing work...

Three part regulation.

FIM tech reg's state maximum capacity of all the fuel tanks combined - not exceed 35 liters (some bikes can have up to five fuel cells in various configuration... a plumbing/vapour lock nightmare in extreme heat - but anyway).

The ASO Dakar rules state that a motorcycle (or Quad) must have a fuel autonomy for at least 250 km's (+10% margin recommended*) as 250 km's is the max stipulated in the roadbook itinerary for the moto/quad categories.

*The recommendation (effectively 275 km range) is intended as margin for soft technical terrain and the usual "running around looking for waypoints" (that Rob Smits referred to so well). The ASO has a final lause that say's there is no grounds to protest or ask for time back on the basis that the motorcycle runs out of fuel between the min fuel dump distance (250 km) regardless of the terrain or conditions (rain = mud = boggy going - the same as sand dunes).

So, you can have 35 liters, divided up how you like, your bike has to be able to go anywhere up to 250 km's in whatever they throw at you.

No one in the top 20 (I've seen or heard) has taken an engine swap. The only publicized case was Gonk, who did a spanish rennovation to the top end at the second marathon bivouac... bit I am fairly sure that there are factory bikes (probably all the big four teams) that had the cylinder lifted and a 5,000 km dealer workshop book service performed on the top end at the rest day.
    theantipaul likes this.
  15. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    That moment.... When on your daily commute you stop at the mall and, as it happenned in the past 2 or 3 traffic lights, you realise you are rolling up and down the RB, just because you can.

Sorry, had to share. It's a daily Dakar Overdose these days.

:rofl

[​IMG]
  16. Tomas Kocanda

Tomas Kocanda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is Svitko???
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  17. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    "Sorry... I was committing work..."

THAT.....is a stiff penalty!!!!!:deal
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    doesn't look good for Verhoeven.........

BUT Sylvain is on the move :-)
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Working Bivi Logistics for the Baja Rally last october, just me to worry about, tear down morning, race to next bivi, setup flags, banners, scope parking for 30 chase vehicles, 5 orga vehicles, some VIP vehicles, be present when each of them show up, direct chase vehicles to their spots, direct racers to their vehicles, be mindful of bivi security and visitors. There was close to 100 people to liason with in the bivi, just for parking. And all the questions; where's the roadbooks, where's the food, when's the food, when's riders meeting, who what when why where how..... Just 4 days of that and I was beat.
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]