2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. BabyBeemer

BabyBeemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was starting to wonder the same thing myself. Seems to be plodding? :snore
  2. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Lines and bubbles, oh my! Having a fun time tracking the progress today... but off to work, mobile tracker always in view. :lurk

The lines view is awesome!
  3. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Scott Spears posted those on FB

Our little 125 friend is still running strong, bring it home!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Then you know, there is something wrong with timing.
    DesertSurfer and Rato Molhado like this.
  5. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been a Casteu fan since he raced that 2wd Yamaha during the 690 era. I was surprised his relative pace has dropped off this year. But again, he reminds us there is a flock of fearless young guns coming up! In another interview, one of those rookies commented that he was shocked at the dangerous high speeds required in the early stages, and that he was glad to get to the dunes, where he has been showing strength.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  6. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Well, today it's Verhoeven's day for a fritzy tracker........

And for once we know who hasn't started yet today...... 108 Julio Ano.
  7. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    And when we can accumulate enough power on a 20kg lipo-ish battery for 3-400km full speed. We´ll all here the mechanic electric screams in the desert. Rebuild topend?!?!?
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  8. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    And it was much appreciated too!

Certainly the thing that particularly impressed me with the Baja Rally last year was how well run and coordinated everything was from the Orga point of view...

Looking forward to competing again this year, and hope you'll be there too to oversee things!

Who knows - perhaps some of the armchair warriors would like to step up and have a go at actually competing in a multi-day road-book rally event too? - just to see what it actually takes to even be allowed to line up and take the start of the Dakar...

Jx
    DesertSurfer and sick_boy like this.
  9. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Bikes:
    the
    leaders
    at
    CP3

The leading riders have just reached CP3 (after 248 km) which is the midway point and a refuelling point for the bikes. At this check point, the race order is as follows: Kevin Benavides (Honda) is the quickest with a lead of 10 seconds over Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna). Helder Rodrigues lies in third, 45 seconds behind. Then comes Toby Price (KTM) in fourth, 1'28'' behind the stage leader, Adrien Van Beveren, on top form today in the wake of his team leader, in fifth 3'14'' behind Benavides and Antoine Meo, in sixth, 4'36'' behind the day's quickest man so far.
  10. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Chris Cork from facebook

"Thanks for everyone's amazing messages. Brought a few tears to my eyes. I'm still gutted and still puzzled by my failure. The bike would just not go in the soft sand. I watched others ride past me and I've ridden this stuff many times. I was constantly in trouble where i know I shouldn't be. The sand was supposed to me my time to shine and not my failure. On the climb where I finally stopped I started with another and just watched as he pulled away from me as my engine revs j...ust plummeted again. We even changed the gearing before the marathon stage but It didn't help. The end was in sight and this should of been in the bag. The engine had done a previous Dakar, 2 rallies after and basically got thrashed during this Dakar - maybe it needed a refresh or maybe I just got tired!?! Will check the compression, etc. on return. I am now with the service team finishing the journey to support the last 4 riders and the many friends I have met on my journey. I look forward to seeing them on the finish podium. As for helping others - I was at the back and struggling to make any headway. I believe all of you would do the same."
  11. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nasser at WP1...
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - and soon after we won't even be leaving tyre tracks in the desert - these new babies might even hover ;o)

Laia Sanz - Dakar 2050:
    [​IMG]

Cyril and Dave - Dakar 2050:
    [​IMG]

Someone can Photoshop the KH-7 and Red Bull logos I'm sure ;o)

Jx
  13. Anders F

Anders F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Rally friends and family, as close another year, and since we've not Tshirts been done, I'm offering a bit to everyone perhaps to remember this crazy year. This is a design I did several years back, and maybe someone else might want one too.

[​IMG]

12" OA height, Die cut sticker on white vinyl. This is a cost only deal, no profit, nothing in it for me. PM if interested. I'll have some prices by the time this race is over. I'm having one of our fellow inmate's wife, who owns and runs her own small business in Vermont.
    LocuL and Linhares like this.
  15. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:

What an effort. He now has more then double (89 hours) of the time Price has (40 hours), in the overall.

That is amazing. I really hope he gets to Rosario!
    steved57, K_N_Fodder, Gian and 6 others like this.
  16. Desert boots

Desert boots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call me a disbeliever......... I just flicked thru the 2016 regs and yes, the 15 min / 45 min / 2 hr penalty for engine changes does still stand. So its really "only" the crank and gearbox need to last the whole event ? ( I don't know of any road-race type cassette gearboxes in modern dirt bikes )

It does favour the big budget teams though - its much easier for a privateer to swap out a complete engine than replace all the "base gasket up" parts - particularly in a pit tent with no sides with a 30 kph wind blowing sand thru everything.

Interesting stuff though - I'd have never thought a 450 could be made reliable enough for the whole event.
    yardracer and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  17. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Not too many years ago it wasn't. Whether needed or for insurance, many too riders' motors got swapped at or about rest day.
    Rato Molhado and yardracer like this.
  18. Meoni

Meoni Adventurer

Oddometer:

The rider of the little bike is Ivo kastan. He also rode this Triumph in 1998(if i`m not mistaken).

Attached Files:

19. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I agree - unless you have a top notch mechanic, the right tools, plenty of time, and some good side-screens on your easi-up, it is much simpler to swap out the whole engine in most cases... there is also the benefit of knowing that your spare engine actually works (as presumably you've checked it before actually crating it!).

But yes, it appears that these days, certainly the bottom end of those engines at the sharp end are strong enough to go the Dakar distance!

Jx
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    A f5ew of the inmates have jumped on the theme of Jenny's post earlier; about the "relative "unkowns" in the field - that inhabit the start numbers below #50 and upwards. The fact that many at home have never heard of most of the riders (come from different nationalities etc.) the "assumption is that they must be just everyday "anybody" - when in fact there are many impressive resumés all up and down the start list this year;
    I mean, any event that has a five time world enduro champ, seeded at #49... is a pretty hot field ... eh?
    So take this fellow... from Japan. The Dakar "resume" list only goes back as far as 1999 - and Jun has been in damned near every one of them... with an impressive record. Go the unkowns! :clap

[​IMG]
    He is (back) on a MOTO after a decade away (of dominating the production AUTO category). He was seeded #71... started out in the 60's, had a bit of a hiccup and slipped back to the 70's... since worked way forward to @ pos. 50 today. Very consistent.
    “Back on bike? They must be kidding…”
    Over ten years after his last appearance on a bike, Jun Mitsuhashi returns to the Dakar on two wheels. The Japanese had become a key figure of the car race and the star driver of the Toyota Auto Body team, conquering five titles in the T2 (unmodified production vehicles) class, including the last one in 2015. Some might have forgotten what an accomplished rider Jun was. Indeed, back in 2001, the Tokyo native had finished 21st of his first Dakar and 12th the following year. At the time, he was one of the only Honda riders against hundreds of KTMs. Incidentally, Mitsuhashi will be riding a KTM for his 15th Dakar. Indeed, after his last T2 crown, his love affair with Toyota ended and while he was looking for a new adventure, KTM Japan showed up with an offer. After first thinking it was a joke, the 45-year-old decided to take on the challenge, preparing thoroughly in Spain and on the Merzouga Rally he finished 20th. Many have gone from bikes to cars, few have managed the opposite switch. Mitsuhashi has all it takes to hit back in style although his only goal will be to finish.

J.M.: “On my last Dakar, I achieved a fifth victory in the T2 class. Although it wasn't my best performance, I still managed to win. It felt like God brought me that victory. After the Dakar, the adventure with Toyota ended so I decided to look for other teams. Among them was KTM Japan. At first, I thought they were kidding. To ride a bike again? They're just kidding. However, I thought it was interesting: to ride a bike again a year after winning the T2 class again. It's a new challenge. My ambition on the Dakar will be to finish it. If I do so, it would be the first time a Japanese rider finishes the Dakar in South America. After such a long time off the bike, especially in rally conditions, it was hard to find the good rhythm again. However during the Merzouga Rally, I didn't get any penalties or suffered any crashes. My navigation was perfect. It really went well. I then followed the advice of the KTM Warsaw Team and went training in Spain for 10 days, focusing on navigation, physical training and bike riding.”
    2015: 29th (T2 champion)
    2014: 21st (T2 champion)
    2013: Ab. Stage 10
    2012: 25th (T2 2nd)
    2011: 12th (T2 champion)
    2010: 17th (T2 champion)
    2009: 31st
    2007: 25th (car, T2 champion)
    2006: Ab. (car)
    2005: 11th (car)
    2004: Ab. (car)
    2003: 60th (bike)
    2002: 12th (bike)
    2001: 21st

over 10 years ago, he rode DAKAR on one of the world's trickest Rallye XR650R's... ever. :deal

[​IMG]