2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. bmon

bmon Go Thattaway

Oddometer:
    Our only hope!

[​IMG]
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be inclined to put a lot of that down to 'sensible sized bikes' rather than changes to the race itself. While there have been riders taken out by injury the numbers seem to have dropped in recent years.
    The 450's are light and now reasonably reliable. The riders aren't being beaten up as much by the weight of the bike (fewer crashes) and crashes seem a bit less damaging. (Lower speeds, lighter bikes).

Someone like Coma would probably have an opinion that's actually worth something there ;)

I wish the manufacturers would actually sell those things retail ...

Pete
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    And bam bam went home with a sore pinkie...

Go Laia.
  4. sick_boy

sick_boy I follow you.

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Racing

“Today was a good day for me and for the whole ‪#‎Yamaha‬ crew. It was a difficult stage but I felt it was the moment to attack and finally I managed to win! What is great is that I climbed up in a good position to fight for a podium tomorrow. I will stay focused until I cross the finish line but, for sure, I will push even more for the last stage. The ‪#‎WR450FRally‬ is really a good bike; on a rally as the Dakar Rally, a machine that lasts the distance makes a big difference. Yamaha’s crew did a good job on this competition, day after day; I had great pleasure working with them”, said Hélder Rodrigues, Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team rider and winner of today's twelfth stage.
    Click below to read the rider's and Team Director's full comments and check out today's results.
    ‪#‎Dakar2016‬ ‪#‎Argentina‬ ‪#‎Bolivia‬ ‪#‎YamahaRacing‬ ‪#‎RevsYourHeart‬

[​IMG]
    keepshoveling and Rato Molhado like this.
  5. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    You can get the KTM 450 Rally Replica. About €24,000 if I remember correctly. Importable into the US under racing regs, but you wouldn't be able to license it for the street.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/Racing/Racing.html
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As mentioned above, KTM does but they are pricey. A person can purchase an EXC and add a full rally kit for less than an 1190 Adventure. Plenty of them in the race with privateers.
  7. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Laia blog

Stage 12: Neither fever nor a sprained collarbone slow to Laia Sanz
    Created: January 15, 2016The KH-7 pilot has demonstrated his enormous strength to overcome a stage of 931 kilometers with sore throat and right shoulder problems.He finished in 14th position, an incredible result given their status, and is 36 seconds behind the top 15 in the absence of a stage for the conclusion of the Dakar Rally."I have finished dead with fever, but I'm very happy because yesterday I did not know if I could stay in the race."E12 Dakar16 Laia 1Cuesta put new qualifying Laia Sanz. His self-sacrifice, the spirit of excellence with facing everything he does and his physical and mental endurance in the most adverse situations have drawn the heroic character of a unique pilot of a kind. In the twelfth stage of the Dakar Rally, the penultimate of the 2016 edition, has returned to demonstrate his enormous strength and determination. The pilot KH-7 and the KTM Rally Factory Team has covered the 931 kilometers of the day with fever and battered collarbone after falling yesterday. And it has done an incredible 14th position!Laia Sanz finished smashed, dented by angina who took yesterday with high fever, but with his everlasting smile, that which results with a "I'm dead but I'm very happy." And last night, the 17-time world champion "did not know if I could take out" not only for his feverish state but also by the torn ligament (acromioclavicular sprain) grade two on the right collarbone.Fortunately, it has raised more moral fitness, and precisely this indomitable will has given him the strength he needed, as the motto engraved on a bracelet given to him by his father Jesus for years, 'Whoever has the will has force '."I started pretty well and I was able to ride without much trouble at first with caution, but on reaching the refueling has given me a strong downturn. The 230 kilometers remaining to the end cost me a lot. I was burnt out. And besides, last kilometer 300, we have entered a mountainous area and has started us rain. The ground slipped and I could hardly stop as I collarbone. I've been fatal, I suffered a lot, but I'm very happy to have finished " explains Laia.The KH-7 has crossed the finish line in 14th position and is situated in the standings just 36 seconds into the 15th, which is its partner in the KTM Rally Factory Team Jordi Viladoms. Tomorrow, in the thirteenth and final day of the rally will be played both end up in the top 15, although Laia admits that it will calmly: "I would like to finish in the top 15, which was the initial goal, but I will not risk . As I only seek to get to the end and finish my sixth consecutive Dakar. " To do so, you will have to endure the last 699 kilometers of the route, 180 of them timed.
  8. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Racing

2016 Dakar Longest Stage; Rodrigues Snatches Victory for Yamaha
    The battle for a top-5 position gets more intense as the Dakar Rally closes to the finish; anything can happen in the last kilometres. Hélder Rodrigues, sixth in the overall classification after yesterday's eleventh stage, knows it. It was in his reach to climb to fifth today, but the Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team rider did even better, pulling out a stage win. Yamaha's junior rider, Adrien Van Beveren, followed closely in his teammate's tracks and delivered an equally impressive performance, finishing in fifth position.

In his quest to gain one seat in the Dakar Rally overall classification, Hélder Rodrigues claimed the stage title of today's twelfth special of the competition; a title that bodes well one day before the finish in Rosario. The Portuguese rider and his junior teammate had to overcome 931 kilometres of the Dakar Rally's longest stage, from San Juan to Villa Carlos Paz. Today they rode on semi-mountainous terrain with dense vegetation, on narrow tracks with mud, and under rainfalls.

If the race started with very tiny chrono between the top-10 riders, Rodrigues significantly widened the gap in the last safety passage control, demonstrating his endurance. He stood out as the winner after almost a six-hour race, with a four and a half minutes gap on the second rider. He climbed up one important place in the overall classification; Rodrigues is now only four minutes from the podium. With a good ride tomorrow, he could have the opportunity to make Yamaha shine in Rosario.

Today's second great performance comes from Adrien Van Beveren, Yamaha's rookie, who is participating in his first Dakar Rally. Pulled by Hélder Rodrigues' tempo, he signed off the day with an impressive fifth position on today's stage. He had a big smile on his face when he joined Villa Carlos Paz's bivouac, as he looked back to his journey on the Dakar. Humble and calm, the Frenchman will stay focused on the race to cross the finish line of his first Dakar Rally tomorrow. Van Beveren is seventh on the overall Dakar timesheet.

In the quad category, Marcos Patronelli had to fight hard today to bring another stage win to the family. He was very challenged by the other competitors for most of the stage and managed to rise to first only in the last kilometres; Marcos crossed the finish line as the winner, with less than ten seconds on the following rider. Alejandro Patronelli ended up fifth, which does not impact on his overall classification; he is still second, four minutes behind his brother. The Patronelli brothers don't need to worry tomorrow on their road to Rosario's podium, as they still have one hour and fifty-two minutes advantage on their closest rivals.

Tomorrow will be the last race day of the 2016 Dakar Rally. The thirteenth stage will cover a 180-kilometre special section and a 519-kilometre liaison, bringing the competitors from Villa Carlos Paz' bivouac to Rosario's finish podium, and set the stage to decide this year's winner. As anything could happen, tomorrow's special may be one of the most challenging for the leading board, with twisty, undulating routes, faster sandy and rocky sections… leading to significant levels of stress.

To track Yamaha's riders during tomorrow's thirteenth and last stage, click HERE.

Additionally, you can follow Yamaha's progress in the Dakar Rally HERE and click HERE for more imagery of Dakar 2016.

[​IMG]
    Hélder Rodrigues, Yamalube Yamaha Official Rally Team
    1st, overall 5th / +00:57:29
    "Today was a good day for me and for the whole Yamaha crew. It was a difficult stage but I felt it was the moment to attack and finally I managed to win! What is great is that I climbed up in a good position to fight for a podium tomorrow. I will stay focused until I cross the finish line but, for sure, I will push even more for the last stage. The WR450F Rally is really a good bike; on a rally as the Dakar, a machine that lasts the distance makes a big difference. Yamaha's crew did a good job on this competition, day after day; I had great pleasure working with them."

[​IMG]
    Adrien Van Beveren, Yamalube Yamaha Junior Rally Team
    5th / +00:07:28, 7th / +01:36:42
    "My initial goal was to join the bivouac every day, stage after stage, with my WR450F Rally and in good shape; there is still tomorrow's final stage to complete but I'm almost there! I did not meet any major difficulty and my bike is still performing well. I am doing better results than I expected and that's a great satisfaction for Yamaha and for me. I still need to learn, ride, gain experience but I have room for improvement and that bodes well for the future."

José Leloir, Yamalube Yamaha Rally Sport Manager
    "This stage win is very welcome on this tough Dakar and makes all the team so happy. We knew that the WR450F Rally was a good bike but we did not have the confirmation, as Hélder Rodrigues was sick from the Dakar's start and unable to fully express himself at the handlebars of our new bike. Today we've had the proof that we built up a top performing machine, and it is even a greater satisfaction to win on the longest stage of this 2016 Dakar (911 kilometres with a 480-kilometre special). Hélder Rodrigues did a very good job and created a big gap with the following competitors on this stage, so he has the opportunity to fight for a podium tomorrow. Congratulations also to Adrien Van Beveren, who's doing a very good competition; he is a steady rider and his efforts pay off as he figures now in seventh overall on his first Dakar Rally. Adrien already achieved the goal we set for him and the result, after two intense weeks, is very interesting; Adrien represents our future in rally-raid."

Alexandre Kowalski, Yamalube Yamaha Rally Teams Director
    "Three years have passed since Yamaha's last stage win on the Dakar Rally. This achievement means a lot for Yamaha: it confirmed that we built up a good and high performing brand new bike, which is solid for the Dakar and pleasant for the riders. Congratulations to Hélder Rodrigues, who is bringing back such a title to Yamaha! Yamaha has a common story with Hélder on the Dakar, and we may write another page of it tomorrow. Adrien Van Beveren is also sending positive signals for Yamaha's future on the Dakar. Those two riders, very different in their experience, appear to be a good duo and complement each other. Today's win is a reward for the whole team, who worked hard for months; we stay focused to make it tomorrow in the best possible way."
    sick_boy likes this.
  9. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Rosa FB

We are already in the final stretch of ‪#‎dakar2016‬. This week has been hard, first with the heat that we spent in Belen Stage 9, the 10 was beautiful in the dunes sub-family, where is this photo, the yesterday for me was the worst of all the dakar, 400 miles in the middle of the fesh fesh, stones and most super broken, they ended up with my hands, the 50 km past the I had to do super slow, I couldn't get the handlebar and it was really hard. Today, on the other hand, a stage for a very long but beautiful scenery of mountains, let's go to for the last!!!!
    Translated from Spanish
    [​IMG]
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com

Dakar boss defends stoppages: "We don't want to 'destroy' competitors"

The director of the Dakar Rally Etienne Lavigne has defended the policy that led to several stages of the 2016 editions being suspended due to temperatures.

The 2016 rally has seen the competition stopped short of the scheduled distance on a number of days due to the weather conditions taking their toll on the competitors.

And while a number of contenders have questioned the policy, suggesting it goes against Dakar's nature as a marathon, Lavigne insisted the organisers have to prioritise safety.

"For many years, safety has been our main obsession," Lavigne said. "It is a priority at every minute. When we have doubts about the smooth running of a stage, we will do what we have to to ensure safety.

"Competing at 41 degrees Celsius is too complicated. We are here to make an interesting competition, not to destroy the drivers and riders."

Lavigne also noted that those unhappy about the WRC-like stages of week one had to understand that the route had been affected by Chile's decision to pull out.

"This Dakar was a bit particular," he admitted. "The first week was very quick but interesting. The second week was in the spirit of the Dakar with extremely difficult conditions, with navigation. The two weeks were a combination.

"Before August, we had a complete route with three countries. [Afterwards] we had to urgently redo the first week of competition.

"The spirit of the Dakar pilots is to surprise contenders with new challenges each year," he added.
    Rato Molhado and sick_boy like this.
  11. Desert boots

Desert boots Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sorry........don't think that's a Michie Desert........
  12. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Pablo Pascual's two loves: Cordoba and the
    Dakar

The Argentinean is really enjoying his 7th participation. He is trying to stay with the pace of the top 50, but acknowledges that it is getting faster and faster…

• [​IMG]
    Two bivouacs in Villa Carlos Paz means two stages at home for Pablo Pascual. The amateur biker is from Cordoba and it is satisfying for him to sense the forerunning signs of another Dakar almost finished. Rider number 67 is nonetheless exhausted when we approach him just after he has entrusted his assistance team with his bike, with a water bottle in his hand and his boots still on his feet. “It was one of the longest specials but it was magnificent. It was demanding. It was pacey. We even had a quarter an hour of rain, as well as some mud. We went through a lot of rios too”. In fact, nothing knocks him out of his stride, because he is most definitely more comfortable on this sort of terrain than in the sand and the dunes. “It's normal, I train here. I go to a moto-cross or enduro circuit. And I go walking on the surrounding mountain paths”. The Dakar 2016 was therefore not a surprise to him. “In any case, I don't have time to go and train in the dunes,” explains the shopkeeper taking part in his 7th rally. This Dakar lover, who rode for the Chinese constructor Jincheng on the Dakar 2011, 2012 and 2013, makes the Dakar his number one priority (“I'm sure in a previous life I also rode the Dakar,” he jokes). He is trying to play his cards right in an ultra-competitive world: “Today, to be in the top 50, you need to be really fast”. Having finished 41st last year, he was 46th in Villa Carlos Paz.
    [​IMG]
    Patrice Carillon: soon a 9 times finisher!

Since his debut in 2003, he has never wavered in his motivation: a rally hardened amateur, Patrice Carillon is closing in on a 9th Dakar completed out of 11 participations…

• [​IMG]
    The shores of Lake Villa Carlos Paz leave him rather indifferent, because it is during the day that he appreciates the landscapes. Patrice Carillon has ridden 10 consecutive Dakars. In Africa or in South America, he has had opportunities to be amazed. This 11th expedition, for this pure amateur, still has the same ingredients: enjoying and surpassing himself: “I come here to ride and to express myself. In fact, I race it day by day, always cautiously”. He is now so well-versed in the rally that this edition has been a tough battle with himself, but without any problems: “The bike is really reliable. In fact, even the stars of the discipline don't need to change the engine on their KTM,” explains the man who has only experienced two mishaps in his life as an adventurer: “In 2004, I withdrew after a crash during which the navigation tower gave me really bad cut on my right hand. In 2012 I caught myself out with the change of power output. I was used to the 690, but we switched to the 450. I broke the engine because I pushed too much”. Otherwise, everything is fine… except for the first week which did not live up to all his expectations. But the rest has been better, much better. “Finishing at the lake today was great. The day before yesterday, there was still some snow around”. Such is the story of his 11th Dakar for this restaurant and hotel owner with a taste for the challenges and daily pleasures of rally-raids.
    [​IMG]
    One hell of a setback

After his helmet was stolen during the special, Alain Duclos had to complete eighty kilometres with the wind in his hair, one hell of a setback that angered the Sherco rider.

• [​IMG]
    The day before finishing his fourteenth Dakar, Alain Duclos is having difficulty hiding his anger. Finishing fifty-fifth on the eleventh stage of the rally, one hour and twenty minutes behind Helder Rodrigues, the day's winner, the Franco-Malian experienced an incredible piece of misfortune, as he explains: “At around the 292 km point, there was a danger that wasn't signalled in the road-book with a tight corner behind a bump. I headed straight on and went into a ravine. David Casteu was following me and the same happened to him. Before we went to get our bikes back on the tracks, I went and put my helmet down on the bump to signal the danger as is customary. Suddenly, a boy came rushing out of the shrubs, took my helmet and disappeared. After that, the only option I had was to continue without a helmet. Of course, I rode slowly to limit the risks”. It took him a not inconsiderable amount of time to reach the finish of the special and cover a few kilometres to his assistance team to pick up another helmet. “I just hope I don't get disqualified,” adds Alain. Given the circumstances, it should not be the case. However, the Sherco rider has suffered big losses with this misfortune. He drops from twentieth to twenty fourth position in the overall ranking.
    [​IMG]
    A bit frustrated

Loyal to the Dakar, Davis Casteu is a bit frustrated by this 2016 edition. The man from Nice would have liked to have the opportunity to excel himself more often.

• [​IMG]
    At the age of 41 years, David Casteu has not lost any of his passion for rally-raids. The man from Nice has been taking part in the Dakar since 1999. Let's just say that he has experienced everything there is to experience on the rally, or almost. Seventh on the last edition, two weeks ago he was still dreaming about getting into the top five this year. However, he is some way off. Obliged to content himself with a top twenty finish, David will not keep lasting memories of the loop that he will finish today. “On the one hand,” he points out, “it was a difficult race with very quick tracks, on which it sometimes feels like you are riding on stick of dynamite, like between Rioja and San Juan, were we had to go on all out attack on very tricky terrain with slippery rocks and mud slides. On the other hand, I've got the feeling that during these two weeks this rally had become too easy. As a result, the first week wasn't very interesting. There wasn't enough navigation, even if I understand how difficult it was for the organisers who had to adapt to the withdrawal of Peru from the rally”. Another source of frustration was the weather which disrupted the start of the race but also the two specials shortened due to the heat. “It's a pity because each time I was waiting for the difficulties in the last kilometres to use my experience. But now I'll be leaving a bit disappointed”.
    [​IMG]
    AteamNM, CBVRacing and sick_boy like this.
  13. Desert boots

Desert boots Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Even in the "Elite" category, the rules state: "....must be freely available to the general public......"

So I can ring up Honda in July 2016 and order a Dakar spec bike for Xmas ?? ( Not bl--dy likely )
  14. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    thanks for the link! posted everything over in the firehose for posterity.

[​IMG]
    Honda's French biker Adrien Metge competes in Stage 8 of the Dakar 2016 between Salta and Belen, Argentina, on January 11, 2016.
    Franck Fife / AFP / Getty

[​IMG]
    Toby Price of Australia rides his KTM in the sixth stage of Dakar 2016 near Uyuni, Bolivia, on January 8, 2016.
    POOL New / Reuters

[​IMG]
    A biker waits for the start of Stage 6 of the Dakar 2016 around Uyuni, Bolivia, on January 8, 2016.
    Franck Fife / AFP / Getty

[​IMG]
    Sebastien Loeb of France drives his Peugeot through the water during the Buenos Aires-Rosario prologue stage in Arrecifes, Argentina, on January 2, 2016.
    Marcos Brindicci / Reuters

[​IMG]
    Portugal’s Ruben Faria of Husqvarna Racing Team, races in Jujuy, Argentina, on January 6, 2016.
    Franck Fife / AP
  15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Duclos does NOT sit at 24th as the article says, he's 42nd now.......:fpalm
    Deadly99 likes this.
  16. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com photos from stage 12 have been posted over in the Photo F5irehose for your wonderment and enjoyment!

#257 - NELSON AUGUSTO SANABRIA GALEANO (PRY) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#7 - HELDER RODRIGUES (PRT) YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#12 - LAIA SANZ (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#302 - STEPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA) [PEUGEOT]
    [​IMG]

#3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    [​IMG]
  17. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    Burga is in :rayof

Besides, MRW helmetgate:
    [​IMG]

:fpalm
    yardracer and dickosaurus like this.
  18. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    This makes a lot of sense to me. Lighter, more powerful bikes (for their weight) that are still more reliable would certainly explain some of it - easier to ride in technical terrain, less likely to break down* means you have fewer people getting injured, fewer folks with a snowball that takes them out because they had to spend 25 minutes sweating as they dig their bike out (a mere 5-10 in the 40c heat!). Part of my question would still be "ok but how much" and then from there you can decide what kind of race you want.

I'd certainly love to hear Mr Coma's opinion, but I would be happy with other folks too!

They do sell them retail; it's just the farkles that'll cost you. :knary

I can't even imagine how furious I would be at someone stealing my helmet. Dakar luck indeed.
    yardracer likes this.
  19. nry

nry .

Oddometer:

Yep it is, it's a desert race.

Is that you Ian ?
    rickmdz likes this.
  20. rickmdz

rickmdz Been here awhile

Oddometer: