2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 1984 BMW took first and second and look how their bikes handled the rocks:

Sorry you'll have to skip up to 12:40 by yourself because advrider isn't letting me link to a specific time!

Pretty brutal, huh?

That said with better bikes, you'd think they'd just ride that much faster until they're on the edge again, and then go splat that much harder.
  2. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Thought we needed a pic since he made it to the stage 12 ASS +2h24m14s

Screenshot_2016-01-16-12-46-20.png
    sick_boy, TobyG, Rato Molhado and 5 others like this.
  3. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a weekend's worth with Kevin Muggleton and crew last year. I only saw them when we started in reverse order or they crashed ;)
    dieselcruiserhead likes this.
  4. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Helder FB

Today has been a great day for me and for the whole team Yamaha. It was a special hard but I had the opportunity to attack and managed to win! In The course of the first week I wasn't the 100 % and with my fall I sense some problems with the shoulder, but now I'm okay. Today I could walk strong, the one who gave me immense pleasure. We have been working hard and this victory is very important to me and to the yamaha. I attacked to try to improve my classification, but the important thing is that I did it in the security. I'll be focused to the end and give my best in the last special. Thank you all very much.
    Translated from Portuguese
    [​IMG]
    sick_boy likes this.
  5. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com photos from stage 11... lots of wonderful photos reposted for you in the Photo F5irehose.

#3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#106 - IAN BLYTHE (USA) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#11 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#49 - ANTOINE MEO (FRA) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#7 - HELDER RODRIGUES (PRT) YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    #47 - KEVIN BENAVIDES (ARG) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#300 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH (QAT) / MATTHIEU BAUMEL (FRA) [MINI]
    [​IMG]
  6. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    TP FB

As a racer you always hope and dream that this is what’s going to happen, for my second attempt at the Dakar Rally I never thought this was going to be possible, if I came in confident saying I was going to win it would sound pretty cocky but at this stage it’s nearly coming true. It’s exciting times, it’s good for myself, family and friends back home and good for Australia. Once we cross that finish line the pressure will be released and I won’t feel quite as tense.

PRICE READY TO BRING HOME DAKAR GOLD
    [​IMG]

KTM’s Toby Price is ready to cement his place in Dakar history as the first Australian in any category to win gold at the prestigious and gruelling Rally.

At the conclusion of Stage 12, Price is first in the overall standings, 37”39’ ahead of the next racer.

Today was the longest of the Dakar so it was a tough day, up early and the first bit of the liaison section was 450km so before the stage even started it felt like you did half a marathon already,” Price said.

[​IMG]

Price had a skillful ride, finishing second in the stage with no major issues.

Got through the stage with no big dramas, but for sure was a hard stage; not with navigation, just with preserving the bike and tyres – there were real sharp rocks that chewed out everything really quick,” Price said.

Price has continued to credit his racing team with unbelievable work in getting the bike sorted for each race.

“We copped a fair bit of rain last section so the river beds are up again and the crossings are slippery – I went off an excursion on one, hit a slippery one and caught a bit of mud so then we backed it down a bit so we didn’t hurt the bike or myself,” Price said.

The KTM Rider is now in preparation for Stage 12, before taking off later in the day in reverse order.

“We just got to get to the finish line tomorrow and go from there, it’s not a massive stage and we get to go last so I’ll get a little bit of a sleep in which is the one thing I’m looking forward to – that and no more road books,” Price said.

[​IMG]

Price has so far had an outstanding performance at the 2016 Dakar Rally, where he hopes to bring home Gold tomorrow.

As a racer you always hope and dream that this is what’s going to happen, for my second attempt at Dakar I never thought this was going to be possible, if I came in confident saying I was going to win it would sound pretty cocky but at this stage it’s nearly coming true,” Price said.

“It’s exciting times, it’s good for myself, family and friends back home and good for Australia. Once we cross that finish line the pressure will be released and I won’t feel quite as tense but we are doing a good job at the moment and can’t complain,” Price said.

The final stage will trek over undulating sandy and rocky sections from Villa Carlos Paz to the finish line in Rosario.
    RumRunner, Rato Molhado and zeeede like this.
  7. CBVRacing

CBVRacing CBVRacing

Oddometer:
    So now we have a new 'Gate' added to the list, the Helmetgate!

What bad luck for Alain. Alain used to come see me practice on the motocross tracks in the Ivory Coast on his moped, he should have remebered the African way of signaling a danger and used bush branches instead of his helmet. What a fright for him.

We may have to add the term Pricegate as well, Toby has done extremely well and this year was definitely the year not to miss for him. He is going to make a lot of Aussies proud.

What about Sylvain Espinasse on his 125cc 2T, let's add the 125gate to the dictionary -- the fesh fesh did not seem to bother him much with so little horsepower, a massive achievement for him!

There is also a rider that has been mentioned very little, Mario Patrao from Portugal. I think he deserves some factory support for 2017. Check out how regular he was. He currently sits in 13th position overall. Top job for a full privateer. http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/044.html

Peterhansel has done what he does best, attack when it matters...no doubt a 12th success is winning reach. Did you know that out of 27 dakar entries from 1988 to 2015, he has had to retire only 4 times? So definitely something to learn from him and the terms Peterhanselgate applies there.

Great comments for 2016, nice to see some emotion comes through as well, you all have been Dakargated! :D
    sick_boy, barrier, Carlos M and 7 others like this.
  8. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Team HRC

sick_boy and Linhares like this.
  9. mulgathumper

mulgathumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Backpacks...:lift
  11. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    from rally pan am fb.

Ian had a small off on a concrete vado water crossing and punctured a tank. He ran out of gas for that reason, not knowing. Scott towed him to CP3 which was the... neutralized gas stop. Nobody else would tow him the 12 km. That's life up front--competition.

We're happy overall. Ian dropped from 25 to 27, and that's not shabby at all. Plus two great stage finishes. And Scott finishing strong despite his wrist injuries. We've got a great team!

please excuse if this is wtlw/205
  12. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    She's so cool :raabia

Max
  13. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that today stage is in reverse order, so the overall dictates the start positions-

As such, Quintanila should take time of both Benvenedes and Helder and hold onto 3rd for a Husky podium - so nearly a KTM 1,2,3 - but factory, private, factory!

Not much to show for HRC this year (again) - what does the future hold for them?

If they are bringing out a production bike then that should keep then in, but what about the team?

Barreda will remain (I think he has "photographs" of someone me one high up) - they will stick with Speedy, so no change in the core of the team? I suspect they will give Kevn a contract and stick with Brabec also - so the marketing covered for N and S America! - what will they do after that? Ceci and Metge performed well, but I understand only contracted for Dakar?

I suspect they will stick with the 4 for the season and draft in support for next year?

KTM - same line up? - Matthias will be out for a while, but looking at the X-ray it may not be too long, definitely the surgeon in La Paz was streets ahead of the one in Morocco!! JV - hmmmm?

Husky - they have the luxury of Qunitanilla and will probably continue with Faria and Renet, but this is an area where they/Ktm can experiment and build - at 4 hrs down did Cerutti do enough to get a ride in the 2016 championship - much depends on how much they are willing to spend I suppose?
  14. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com photos from stage 10 posted into the Photo F5irehose, sorry they're a bit out of order!

#502 - EDUARD NIKOLAEV (RUS) / EVGENY YAKOVLEV (RUS) / VLADIMIR RYBAKOV (RUS) [KAMAZ]
    [​IMG]

#252 - MARCOS PATRONELLI (ARG) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#321 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA) / DAVID CASTERA (FRA) [PEUGEOT]
    [​IMG]

#300 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH (QAT) / MATTHIEU BAUMEL (FRA) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#49 - ANTOINE MEO (FRA) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#48 - RICKY BRABEC (USA) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#2 - PAULO GONCALVES (PRT) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]
    sick_boy, GalacticGS and Deadly99 like this.
  15. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Stage 12 Summary - Car/Bike - (San Juan / Villa Carlos Paz)
  16. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Stage 11 and 12 Summary - Truck/Quad - (San Juan / Villa Carlos Paz)
    sick_boy likes this.
  17. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Stage / Etapa / Etape 12 - Top moment - (San Juan / Villa Carlos Paz)
    sick_boy likes this.
  18. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Not a 450, but yes you can build your own street legal rally beast in the USofA. I built one a couple years ago out of a 2013 690 and parts from Europe. I prefer the bigger thumper for the longer miles.

Shameless photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    And I would imagine ktm will again ask meo to fall on his sword and sacrifice 15min to wait for toby. It still keeps him reasonably safe in 6th if no drama befalls them.
    too old and lurkin like this.
  20. RussellM

RussellM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of observations which may have already come up:

1. It is interesting that in the TV coverage (at least the English version aired here on SBS) in every class they talk about manufacturers, KTM, Honda, Peugot, Toyota, MAN, Kamaz, Tatra, but not in the quads. I don't believe I have heard reference to a quad manufacturer once in this years coverage.

2. Helder's Yamaha is UGLY!! :puke2 Surely they can do better than that. Honestly I am surprised they don't style it like the 660 Tenere for a bit of sideways marketing appeal. Even though it isn't a true factory team. The 2013 & 2014 Yamaha setup was really nice, looked a bit like the Super Ten.
    640 Armageddon and chasbo like this.