2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I completely agree with the position you're stating.

And sadly, it's both right and wrong.

Yes, those are the regs. They clearly support your position.

But just like the regs in the army, they're treated as a guide to a commander. They didn't come down from the mount with the religious dude, and carry about add much weight in this.

The reality is, they don't matter in this case. That's the way it is.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  2. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    :toney

... :lol3
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    PRICEY!!!!!!! #1 :clap:clap:clap
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  4. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    TP " We'll take a month off and then start training for next Year's Dakar"

Max
  5. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  7. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:

DW
    steved57 and Deadly99 like this.
  8. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Rato Molhado and Thunder Dan like this.
  9. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Stage 13, day 16 of January. Villa Carlos Paz-Rosario.
    A lot about team #547 ‪#‎dakar2016‬
    The one that was supposed to be an easy and we achieved by the dakar, has become the worst days of this edition.
    At this time most of the pilots are celebrating his arrival in goal, while 12 trucks and 3 cars are at km 110 of the special fighting for spending a great morass.
    The organization is trying to find a solution or any alternative route.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    ‘Winning the malles-motos is the best achievement in my career'
    • [​IMG]
    Jurgen van den Goorbergh was in pole-position in the MotoGP twice. He won races in the World Supersport class. But none of what he has achieved in fifteen years as a professional Grand Prix road racer compares to winning the malles-motos in the Dakar (31st overall). This Dakar was the Dutchman's third on a bike, the second one in the malles-motos class. He also took part with a buggy and once as co-pilot in a truck. “But I'm a biker. This is what I like best. Doing the Dakar in the malles-motos is the hardest thing I have ever done and therefore I'm really proud I've won. The second week was so though. The days were long. Almost too long. Over the last three nights I have slept 8 or 9 hours in total. Far from enough, but I know my limits.”
    [​IMG]
    Open heart surgery on a truck
    • [​IMG]
    Replacing the con rod bearing of the engine of a truck is like an open heart surgery. The mechanics of team DakarSpeed performed one overnight in the bivouac and thus saved not only the life of a Scania but also the Dakar of driver Maurik van den Heuvel.
    Van den Heuvel had some trouble with the turbo hose for a few days already but still managed to perform in the top 10. But coming out of the special stage he suddenly heard a strange and alarming noise coming from the engine of his truck. “You can replace anything but the engine,” the Dutchman explained. “I was convinced it was the end of my Dakar, but the mechanics wanted to give it an ultimate try. They opened up the engine as if it was surgery. They worked like crazy. Mechanics from other teams came to assist. Ten mechanics at a time: on, under and in the truck.”
    Ten minutes before the deadline to depart to the start the engine ran. And it kept running. All the way through the stage. Van den Heuvel almost couldn't believe it. “The mechanics performed a miracle. Without them I would have been on my way home already. Now I am still on my way to finish the Dakar.”
    [​IMG]
  11. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    stage

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stage

Back
    Peterhansel rolls a double six as Price opens his account!

The 38th edition of the Dakar ended in Rosario today with Stéphane Peterhansel (Peugeot) wrapping up his sixth triumph in the car category and Toby Price, racing in the motorcycle category, stamping his name on the list of winners for the first time. Marcos Patronelli grabbed another victory in the quad race, while Gerard de Rooy made it two in the truck category. Today's stage was marked by Sébastien Loeb's fourth victory and Pablo Quintanilla's triumph in the motorcycle race.

Words cannot do justice to the latest exploit of Stéphane Peterhansel (Peugeot). Now a six-time winner of the car category, Mister Dakar brought balance to his trophy room by claiming as many victories in a car as he did on a motorcycle. "Peter", with 12 victories under his belt, consolidates his iron grip on the race.

His sixth win was built on a single stage, but what a stage it was! By his own admission, the man from Vesoul "went crazy" on the dunes of Fiambalá, as he sometimes did on a motorcycle, and turned on the afterburners. Stage 10 saw the Peugeot driver smash the opposition, throwing caution to the wind and capitalising on the misadventures of his direct rivals. It was an out-of-this-world performance.

However, it was no walk in the park for the Peugeot driver. Master strategist Peterhansel bided his time when his famous new teammate, Sébastien Loeb, took the race by storm in the first week. Some pressure here, some psychological warfare there and a minimal amount of mistakes made the difference between the Peugeot drivers and separated him from other rivals. Stéphane Peterhansel was also the only driver of the Lion brand who did not run into trouble, a clear sign that restored Peugeot to its former glory 26 years after Ari Vatanen won at the wheel of a 405.

No need to overlook Nasser Al-Attiyah's first-class performance at the wheel of a Mini, though. Never far from the Peugeots, who knows what the Qatari could have done had he not scuttled his own chances with a barrel roll at the entrance to the dune fields of Fiambalá? Finally, Giniel de Villiers finished third and featured in the top 3 for the fourth consecutive time. The rock-solid South African earned Toyota another podium, quite an exploit in view of the star-studded field.

Sébastien Loeb lit the fireworks in the 38th edition, winning four stages, spectacularly veering off the course, being plagued by mechanicals… The whole rally raid package. The latter two must have been bitter lessons for the nine-time world rally champion, but every journey starts with a single step and Loeb is a fast learner…

Toby Price is another fast learner. Very fast. KTM's Australian leader, third in his debut last year, rode smartly to grab a clear win. Price, a good navigator impervious to pressure, which came especially from the Honda camp, wasted precious little time wandering around. If KTM wants someone to fill Marc Coma's boots, the Austrian maker need look no further: the heir is here! 29-year-old Toby Price, the first Aussie to win the race, looks every bit the new Dakar boss in a category that is undergoing a major renewal.
    Behind him, Štefan Svitko (KTM) continues to make progress. Ninth in 2014 and fifth last year, he achieved his goal for this year's edition by finishing on the podium for the first time. Pablo Quintanilla took the bottom step. The Chilean may not have been as consistent as the two riders in front of him, but he still managed to produce an excellent performance.

As for the rookies, fourth-placed Kevin Benavides stormed onto the Dakar scene, just like Frenchmen Adrien Van Beveren (sixth) and Antoine Méo (seventh). Van Beveren, a two-time winner of the Enduropale du Touquet, got stronger as the race went by and steadily climbed up the general classification, but Meó was surely the unluckiest rider in the Dakar. Sitting third overall with two days to go and two stage wins in the bag, Méo sacrificed his podium spot in a heartbeat in order to support Toby Price. However, a heavy fall in the penultimate stage turned the end of the Dakar into a nightmare for the five-time world enduro champion. Not the reward he deserved for the last fortnight…
    The Patronelli Bros. executed a perfect comeback to the quad category. Marcos, now a three-time winner, and runner-up Alejandro had the race tied up shortly before the halfway point. They defeated a surprising Brian Baragwanath, who finished his second participation on the podium. He will be worth keeping an eye on in 2017.

Finally, Gerard de Rooy took his second win in the truck category without breaking a sweat. Iveco's Dutchman prevailed over 2015 champion Ayrat Mardeev and Federico Villagra, an Argentinian who tried his hand at the truck category after two editions of the Dakar in a car.

All in all, 84 motorcycles, 23 quads, 67 cars and 44 trucks completed the 9,500 km long race, out of 358 competitors on the start line of the 38th edition —a finish rate of more than 60%.
  12. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a lot of reading. I tell people I don't read. But I did all 8800 post on this forum. My head hurts and I need a better chair.
    It was good to see some new riders out front, And I only paid $1300 for that helmet off ebay. The kid said he did it for Laia.
  13. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    In that respect you are correct... in the respect that during the rest of the rally, PEUGEOT were permitted to continue, and make the "photo opportunity" on the podium today as yhe provisional winner.

That's the pure commercial reality of it - they can sell cars on Monday on the back of this photo opportunity. The investment of the last18 months - mission accomplished.

The "sporting" aspect will be drawn out in an FIA jury room (if MINI choose to pursue it) at some point in the near future, when most have forgotten and moved onto the next thing.

That's the sad part.
  14. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re peterhansel, bottom line is that if there was diesel available for fueling at that checkpoint, then he did not make a mistake.
    dragos likes this.
  15. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    motorsport.com

Paraguay, Uruguay could join Dakar in future

Dakar Rally director Etienne Lavigne has said that, while the event is set to remain in South America, there may be scope for other countries to join the route in future.
    The Dakar has taken place in South America since 2009, after terror threats forced organisers to move the event away from its West African heartland following the cancelled 2008 edition.

In a press conference in Villa Carlos Paz on Friday, Lavigne said: "For the moment we are not in a provision to leave South America."

Talking about the possibility of countries like Paraguay and Uruguay being added in future, Lavigne added that while they plan to include them, it is not an "easy" task.

"We need agreements with countries," he said. "It is a very intense planning work. We'll try to put together a very interesting 2017 edition.

"Having ideas and projects is essential because it is part of our ideology. We have the desire to do more.

"The philosophy of the event is to maintain a level of interest to pilots competition in general and, crucially, that is our spirit."

Lavigne also revealed that the new government of Argentina is willing to continue hosting the event, while the Bolivian president is asking for more stages in their country.

With Chile was missing from this year's competition, having featured from 2009 to 2015, a return to the Atacama desert is still possible, he added.

"Almost every month we are in contact with [Chile]. I am going to meet and possibly make a new contract with them in coming weeks," he said.
    stuckthrottle and Rato Molhado like this.
  16. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    the race may be officially over (for some competitors), but for the photos, it's far from over... lots of uploading to be done! early this morning, more photos from stage 12 showed up on Dakar.com... which, as usual, i've reposted over in the Photo F5irehose for easy viewing.

#304 - NANI ROMA (ESP) / ALEX HARO BRAVO (ESP) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#300 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH (QAT) / MATTHIEU BAUMEL (FRA) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#319 - LEEROY POULTER (ZAF) / ROBERT HOWIE (ZAF) [TOYOTA]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#254 - JEREMIAS GONZALEZ FERIOLI (ARG) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

they've already got a few photos from the last stage up, which i'm working on now.
  17. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any special reason that they don't have any stages further south in Argentina than they do?
    Private land etc...?
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  18. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  19. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Some crooked Shoestring pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]