2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all the guys that helped with info in this thread, another year another f5irehose ....

Toby, what can I say for the guy... His tactics, his speed. The guy has a brilliant future.
    Svitko. The privateer that won a stage (like Pal) and got the second place in Dakar. Now the last privateer to achieve that since Ullevalseter did it in 2010. I hope things change for him in the future, the guy IS blind fast.
    Pablo. Solid race, putting the Husky on the podium.

KTM must be really enjoying this year. A factory KTM on the top step, a privateer with a KTM and Husky...

Well as they say 'Dakar is Dakar' , I have mixed feelings about this year, we have 49 bikes that did not make it to the end at the end. Dakar is changing, but we will see what happens next year. If it's more wrc stages, then the new series may be called Baja Dakar. :D

Honda... Well, some serious people in the East would be very, very pissed off right now... The best Honda bike from the 'B' team and not from HRC? I see a new bike coming out this year, special care on the radiators, the cylinder and the piston. Also quick release pins on the cylinder to allow the riders to swap. Still the bikes may develop electrical faults though :jack If the management does not change, I can't see how they will dethrone KTM. And honestly cannot see that happening with Speedy and BB. This year was their best chance against KTM. Their best chance ever. Sam out, Coma out, Walkner out, and they screwed everyting up again. Speedy is not getting any younger. Also this Dakar, with the stages cancelled like there is no tomorrow, the bikes running so many miles less, I cannot beleive that Barreda's bike gave up. I feel for them, HRC is like the capital of R&D. I doubt they will pull out of Dakar, if they take Benavides and Brabec on board HRC from the HSA, with the current structure, they may stand a better chance, but still, they are and example of ''money can't buy Happiness'' . Peugeot should be a serious example to them. Although Peugeot has a lot of experience in WRC etc, this does not translate to Dakar experience at all. Especially for the design of the beast, the takticts etc. They have the excellent drivers and Mr. Dakar himself, so its important, but still, they did not come with a version 3.12 of the car and the cars were pretty reliable I must say.

Hey @Carlos M . No. In my opinion, now Dakar is over the front of the Yamaha bike should be redesigned. None of them had a serious crash, if that bike was involved in a crash like Speedys, the iritrack would have been teleported to France. :lol2 The iritrack position also and the Carbon cover, in my opinion should be illegal. you are crawling on the bike with a broken leg and you have also to take that cover off to push the buttons? :scratch:loco
    Even if it comes off with Dzus fasteners, still, it's a safety devise which should have proper access. Yamaha is Yamaha France there so I see some blind eyes from the orga. If it's fugly or not, that's objective I think, some people will like it, some not. But in my opinion, even the Kawa's were looking better. I bet they will not use the same looks next year. May be the same layout of the tower, but more Rally looking bike.

Mario Patrao also gave a monumental performance, with the Suzuki he was standing 30th+ or retiring which has become a habit for the team I must say... :fpalm and first year on the KTM he wins the Marathon class and reaches 13th place. That is a lesson on how important the bike is.

For Suzuki, well, there are no words. Unless they step up the game, I don't think there is a chance for finishing Dakar, and if I was a manager on the team I would either step up the game or pull the plug. So far for the last three years, this semi factory effort has not been fruitfull. It may doing more damage to the Suzuki name than good (taking into account that 80% of the bikes developed a mechanical fault, and the other 20% was poor preparation). Will see how 2017 goes for them.
    Yamaha, I'd love to see one on the podium (imagine if Yamaha gets the podium and HRC does not... :pope ) , they had the pace in some stages, but may be they are not as ''all round'' as a KTM is. The timing is poor I think, although they have the 5th and 6th place, they are 55m and 1h46m behind the leader respectively. I am sure next year will be a better one for them.

Kawasakis were keeping up, I'd like to see Cabrera next year, the mid pack I think some times goes bananas and wants to finish in a top spot, showing what they can do, and they risk crashing or burning the bike engine to death.

As far as the engine is concerned, well, look at what point we are. No engines changed on the KTMs at all this year. Soon the rules must be more strict for the engine servicem because the developers have already catch up. Expect some companies which develop electrcal faults ... :D

All in all it was an interesting f5ifehose, with lots of info, not as f5 as two years ago, I think the like button and the information coming was very good, someday we may not even need Cliffnotes :deal

D.
  2. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Linhares likes this.
  3. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Surely the current FIM Cross Country Rallies World Champion IS right for Dakar?!?!?
    Struggling to find logic in your post?
  4. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
  5. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^

Nice pic!
  7. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first victory - of how many I wonder ?
    Tee Dee Mmm and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  8. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com photos from stage 13, reposted for easy viewing in the Photo F5irehose. only 50 ish photos so far, i'm sure there's more to come.

#3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#253 - ALEJANDRO PATRONELLI (ARG) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

#302 - STEPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA) [PEUGEOT]
    [​IMG]

#264 - SERGEI KARYAKIN (RUS) [YAMAHA]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 - TOBY PRICE (AUS) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    splinters and yardracer like this.
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    dakar.com

Toby Price is another fast learner. Very fast. KTM's Australian leader, third in his debut last year, rode smartly to grab a clear win. Price, a good navigator impervious to pressure, which came especially from the Honda camp, wasted precious little time wandering around. If KTM wants someone to fill Marc Coma's boots, the Austrian maker need look no further: the heir is here! 29-year-old Toby Price, the first Aussie to win the race, looks every bit the new Dakar boss in a category that is undergoing a major renewal.

[​IMG]
    Rato Molhado, Weldr, chasbo and 2 others like this.
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    ... and they won the Malle MOTO class with Jurgen Van Den Goorbergh.

Mattighofen cleaned up... on all levels... again...

... anyone want to bet against 16 in a row...? :wink:
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I think it is as you say... private tracts of rural land. Denser population areas and the difficulty to find tracts of land large and suitable enough to conduct stages that are not riddled with DZ'z, FZ'z and punctuated by nutralized zones (connection sectors on the special stages - commonly public roads).

Argentina has a large beef cattle industry and agriculture to consider.

The first Dakar in Sth America in 2009, I (IIRC?) they had one stage which travelled south of Buenes Aires.
    The dense bush and vegetation, combined with the fesh fesh (deep dust) made the majority of the stage for the later bikes, most of the autos and all of the trucks, like convoying at pace, down a dusty vegetated tunnel... unable to push forward through the pall of dust.
    cvlighthouse likes this.
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    A quick check and I think 6 of the 9 Malles moto guys made it to the finish.
  13. patagon

patagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would think one reason is that Patagonia is too far away from the other countries that host the Dakar (Bolivia, Chile and Peru). True, it is beside Chile but in the south there is no Atacama.
    What I don´t know is why they did not go to Mendoza (Dunas de Nihuil) if they wanted sand.
    Let´s see what they arrange for next year.
    Rato Molhado and Linhares like this.
  14. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    There where only 6 Malle moto classement warmup classement riders
    And 5 after stage 13 classement

and manuael was second

1 VAN DEN GOORBERGH JURGEN (NLD) KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA

2 LUCCHESE MANUEL (ITA) YAMAHA WR450F RALLY

3 DIOCLEZIANO TOIA (ITA) KTM 450 RALLY

4 RIEZEBOS JASPER (NLD) wooden shoes KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA

5 BERDYSZ MACIEJ (POL) KTM 450 RR
  15. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:

Troy, mate - did you have to mention the war??

When does 'flexibility/interpretation of the regs' become cheating?
  17. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Jurgen :clap:clap:clap:clap
    RussellM, Sabu, Rato Molhado and 11 others like this.
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The last parc ferme motos.
  19. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that's it for another year. All done and dusted, and the various arguments will start.
    Just playing devil's advocate for a moment... Everyone is having a dig at Honda's seeming inability to win one, but didn't their two lead riders go out because they fell (several times)and not actually through bike failure. Can't really blame Honda for that. A bit simplistic maybe, but just a thought.
    It sure was a different race this year. I didn't make the finish every day but caught up soon enough.
    Huge congratulations to Toby Price. I really think it's taken this win for everyone outside of Aus. to realise just how good this bloke is.
    Many thanks to everyone that's contributed to the f5ire hose. The accumulated knowledge, the insights, and the sheer dedication of blokes like Mischa make this the best Dakar resource anywhere. If only the ASO ran their ship as well as this one...
    See y'all next year when we win again:D
  20. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The biggest TOBY fan.

[​IMG]