2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Posting this for no particular reason...
    NoPenalty.png
    dooby, sick_boy, Rato Molhado and 2 others like this.
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leatt neck brace or equivalent saved his life, I'd guess.
    FPedro and Mikemm like this.
  3. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Haven't seen a penalty breakdown on public site yet. Maybe noticeboard. But here's the clue that may explains it:

So the 350 time cards are already printed.... 500, 2000? printed copies of the schedule have already been printed out... but you HAVE to move the start the next morning. Well, crap, you move the start. It would take a pretty sharp navigator to check "Ok, wait, what was ORIGINAL time allowed for this transit? Let me check some OLD paperwork I have. Ok, that's the SAME number that's here, and they've told us they're moving the start in... so pick up the pace driver, they've shorted us on this transit."

And there are certainly a handful of grassroots level rally navigators in the US that do this level of prep. I assume that at higher levels it's an even larger percentage, because getting penalties like this is the result of not doing it. Here's what's so interesting about it: as a codriver/navigator you have to learn what the limits of an organizing body are when the event is operating in "plan b mode". The "regular rules" are fairly straightforward (only like 200 pages *grin*, ok, I overstate) but Plan B mode understanding only comes with experience.

"When they cancel stages they often..."
    "If a stage gets stopped in the middle of racing they usually.... but I've also seen them do ... so let's plan for both."

Cause there's always plenty of contributing factors that the racer just will never know about. "Why don't they just give us five more minutes on the transit and print new cards out and give them to us as we leave?" That printer might already be loaded on a plane to the next bivi. And the opening cars (not sure how those are used in Dakar, or if?) are probably running on a schedule printed out four months ago, and that would modify the gaps between the safety cars and the racers, to the detriment of safety. Flight windows, fuel calculations, who knows, it could be a million things the racer would never think about.

Anders
    SFMCjohn, Myway, cheekorollo and 3 others like this.
  4. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    the team chiro will get that sorted out :)
  5. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    Oh, another thing on printing. Most of use don't really have a scale for this operation, or anything to compare it with. So here's maybe some way to wrap your mind around it:

Sandblast Rally is a one day rally in South Carolina, USA. Typically it might have 90 entries, split fairly evenly between cars and bikes. It totals about, oh, 100 miles of transit and 70 miles of special stage / racing section. Seven stages between 6 and 15 miles.

So that's about, oh, one fifth or one fourth the distance Dakar does in one day, and roughly one quarter the number the number of entries, and 1/13th the number of days. So very back of the envelope calculations: Dakar is 5x4x13 = 260 times bigger? It's a made up number. We'll use it anyway.

So between road books, official documents, time cards, rules, notices, spectator guides, time sheets, volunteer instructions, road-closed signs, everything we print.... we'll print out about 14,000 pages for that "tiny" rally. It generally takes about a week at a commercial printer to get it all done.

So does Dakar print out 260*14,000 = 3.6 MILLION pages of stuff for their rally? If some told me they do, I would 100 percent believe them. So if someone says "We'll just change the start time" I could easily believe the response being "Uh, you know we distributed 50,000 paper flyers to this area two weeks ago with the other time, right?"

So there's organizer info for this boring night when the updates have slowed down. :photog

Anders
  6. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the number of riders and car teams that were penalized today the ASO would be deep in inquiry forms if their mistake where the culprit.

Liaisons aren't on as tight a window as a NASA event. My guess Annie and codog were dillydallying along the way. If they checked in 6 minutes late after going 5k at 50kph they would have been late without having to go the extra 5k.

I'd be surprised if all the penalties are speeding. The GPS through the repeater has an audible beeping warning 5kph before you hit the limit and a solid tone at and over the limit. The GPS samples for speed violations every few seconds so it's possible to be over for a few seconds and not have it recorded as a penalty.

The ASO is a little better funded than NASA and some of the other orgs you have helped out. They have plenty of printers at each bivouac.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  7. Anders Green

Oddometer:
    And the question of "who made the mistake" or "if a mistake even existed"... Now we're back to the French. We joke about it, but in rally, with the FIA, the closer you get to the hub of Frenchdom... the more they are sticklers for stuff like this. Go rally even in Canada, with it's French-speaking states.... and all the stuff that we let slide at NASA gets taken way more seriously. A friend of mine was excluded from the rally for not making the mandatory parc expose on time in Canada. "But I'm here now!!" "Ahhh, yes, but zees regulations, you see, it says mandatory 15 minutes ago." The fact that he was American.... who know. ;) But it happened.

And jeez, I HOPE they're better funded than us. Otherwise, I need to start complaining about how come WE can't have helicopter footage! ;)

Anders
  8. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  9. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    thanks for that one... i didn't have that press team on my list! added!

Added about 25 new photos of Stage 2 photos from Dakar Press Team on FB, over in the Dakar Photo F5rehose! here's a few of my favorites:

#269 - KEES KOOLEN (NLD) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#49 - ANTOINE MEO (FRA) [KTM]
    [​IMG]

#26 - JEAN DE AZEVEDO (BRA) [HONDA]
    [​IMG]

#300 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH (QAT) / MATTHIEU BAUMEL (FRA) [MINI]
    [​IMG]

#336 - JURGEN SCHRODER (DEU) / DANÏEL SCHRODER (DEU) [NISSAN]
    [​IMG]

#368 - LUIS FERNANDO BARBERY PAZ (BOL) / HERNAN DAZA JIMENEZ (BOL) [TOYOTA]
    [​IMG]
    cheekorollo and tserts like this.
  10. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    RedBull Photo of the day

[​IMG]
    © Marcelo Maragni/Red Bull Content Pool

Stuck in the mud
    Quad rider Mohamed Abu Issa gets a taste of the appalling conditions that have played havoc with the beginning of the 2016 Dakar Rally. Thunderstorms made Stage 1 too unsafe to run so the competitors made their way to Villa Carlos Paz via motorway ready for Stage 2.
  11. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Deadly99 and cheekorollo like this.
  12. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
  13. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    couple more RG photos from PlanetRobby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cheekorollo likes this.
  14. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Holy Ouch Batman! That's going to need a trip to Midas for the exhaust!

Thanks guys for the as ALWAYS excellent coverage!!!
  15. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure Mischa is speaking English, but this Voodoo Yoda Jedi stuff is way above my pay grade :)

I love it man, keep doing what you're doing. :clap
    yardracer, Bluebull2007, misc and 2 others like this.
  16. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still Ted. On my 2002 Berg I can go faster than that. Dunno if Suzi has an underpowered unit to last the race, but that looks terribly slow? May be the drowing caused the loss of power.

As always a joy reading you man! :clap

Hey Mike.
    I Did not underestimate her. To the contrary. I firmly believe that she is fast and smart. Relax, we did not question her, but the bike. True that orange is neither blue or red, but until 690rr chimed in we did not have all this insider info for KTM :deal . Let's see if the girl makes it top 5 this year :beer
  17. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    jeeeze.... we need a dislike button :(
    Rato Molhado, cheekorollo and too old like this.
  18. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    dooby, gqelements, yardracer and 2 others like this.
  19. Tesla314

Tesla314 >_<

Oddometer:
    Wait, who was on fire earlier? Wasn't there a photo of a burned-out car or truck at some point in the 400 posts today?
  20. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer: