2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shot of the swingarm at EICMA, Milan in November. If it is a water compartment, where is the drain hole ?

145.jpg
  2. 38thfoot

38thfoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My experience of military digital equipment would result in the kamaz trucks being the smallest vehicles in the rally if that was the future iritrack and associated gubbins (it's a technical term) took. Most hardened military kit is very very robust!

3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Not to get side-tracked, but I'm sure the day will come that the Iritrak (tracking and 2-way comms) and UNIK2 GPS units are superseded...

For example, the Rally Comp device used on the Baja Rally this year had all of the key functions provided by the two ERTF units - other than the two-way voice comms* - in a device the size of an ICO.

http://www.bajarallymoto.com/rally-comp.html

I found it no less reliable in use than an Iritrak/Unik either, although some competitors complained their screens froze occasionally (mainly in the buggies rather than on bikes).

While it is already very handy to have the current device the same size footprint as an ICO, *I would have thought that incorporating the circuitry from a handheld sat-phone into such a device wouldn't make it any bigger than the current UNIK2 GPS unit (and to be honest it would be nice if the Rally Comp screen was a little larger anyway due to the amount of information it needs to display) and would offer an all-in-one unit that was just as robust as the current UNIK, and completely eliminate the need for the separate and large Iritrak box to be fitted to the bikes/vehicles.

The road-book however, will remain paper for a LONG time to come - don't get me started on the reasons why...

Jx
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :thumb Okay, so with everyone off watching their DVR's and weblinks of the TV publica ARG, France TV programming and Eurosports riveting darts coverage :roflI am goint to take the opportunity to grab some zzzzzz's and see you all back here after the F5 graveyard shift, bright and early tomorrow for the start of DAY 4 and the liason to the SS4 : san Salvador de Jujuy "loop".

later... :wave
  5. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    21.52 Local time. Nice time zone pebble :D
    The drain was somwhere on the rear side. There was a photo with it too on press pics from HRC. Have to start digging to find it. If it is just a reinforcement it is in the wrong end of the arm. Not surprised, given this is HRC and do things their own way :D, just saying...
    K_N_Fodder and pebble35 like this.
  6. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

So you're saying that bottom rib running under the swingarm is a water tank?

To me that looks like a massive aluminum rib running the length of the swingarm
  7. sidewayz_control

sidewayz_control Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup the military stuff is tough... and bulky and do you have any clue how much it costs? Let's just say that buying a (or a fleet of) KTM 450 RFR is pocket change compared to that stuff.

Ain't saying it's not going to happen but not there yet.

+1 on the paper roadbook
  8. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offense but you're in the UK :lol3

But seriously, I suppose some specially-configured consumer gear may fit the bill, eventually. The resources poured into making a better cellphone are ungodly and dwarf even Uncle Sam's efforts.
  9. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the solutions to the problems raised about digital RB nav are a lot closer than many people realize. Durability being relatively low down on the list of challenges, a consumer level ipad is plenty durable if put in the right housing.
  10. Iron Horse

Iron Horse I Make Shit Up

Oddometer:
    So, those of you who were able to watch the feed, did you see that bit where Annie got passed by a moto via the sentinel? I thought I read here the bikes don't have them. :scratch

Or is it the mere proximity of the moto that set her's off...
  11. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aluminium is aluminium so of course it braces the thing. But the primary reason is not that. Have a look to see where the arms usually crack, it's either in the middle or near there mounting points (suspension, fixed points etc.).
    If this is was an aluminium rib to strengthen the arm, then (1) it's a pathetic welding job and (2) instead of spending gazillion dollars to get a space age nav tower, they may as well redesign the swing arm to perform as it should. I may be wrong in the following, but I have no recollection of damaged arms in Rally CRF's or customer CRF's in general. Only the KTM damage on Sam's bike.

Gotta run to get some rest... :snore
    D.
  12. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Man.....NBC Sports is just a rehash of yesterday....what a waste of time.....................:knary
    LocuL likes this.
  13. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Annie's blog for today:

Stage 03 Villa Carlos Paz - Termas de Rio Hondo

The start operating rally, darn ...

It was cloudy until 10 minutes before our start. Then opened the heavens and the El Niño poured down. We started in pouring rain and it was muddy and slippery snot.
    I took it easy because I have never driven in such weather conditions with this car. Got a really long slide cord but managed to keep me in the right direction and just go in the grass along the road. Passed by some quicker cars in the mud. But then the road became more stable with more sand and stone and thus faster. Increased speed and took back some time.
    Top drivers who started an hour before we got the run half the distance dry - a big advantage.

Overall, a great distance. Placing in leg 63rd

Lorries special closed because the rain made the roads impassable.
  14. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the video of the bikes being drained out after the water crossing a day or two back there were regular loud 'beeps' as other bikes passed - I assumed that was the sentinel going off ?
    homerj and yardracer like this.
  15. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Hey... where are the assistance route tracks? We had those last year and the year before.....
  16. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Agreed that welding looks shite
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  17. yardracer

yardracer stubborn cow

Oddometer:
    Quintanilla FB

Today has been a very positive day, because in spite of the fact that we continue with sections of mountain and a lot of water in the way I managed to move two posts in the general. We're already in jujuy with everything ready to get out tomorrow a special with approximately 3.500 meters of height and face up to the first stage marathon. Now to eat and rest

@mundocopec @ride100percent @husqvarna1903 @rockstarenergy @ctikneebraces @scorpionexo ‪#‎abastible‬ ‪#‎clc‬ ‪#‎epysa‬ ‪#‎transportesartisa‬
    Automatically Translated
    [​IMG]
    347 Likes14 Comments2 Shares
  18. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about a waterproof e-reader:
    https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-h2o

Waterproof, daylight-visible screen, has WIFI (for downloading from an onsite access point), but no GPS (for cheating). At $179 and half the depth of a mechanical roadbook, the backup plan is to carry a spare.
  19. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    AS I mapped the stage, you look closely/zoomed in, where is what, then you look different to all the video, more like where is that. But this fesh-fesh part, you saw with the trucks I could not recognize it, was I wrong? Earlier Coma mentioned he could put some 10 km fesh-fesh in I did not see it.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - I said don't get me started!

Still, it is almost the graveyard shift, and fortunately I can cut and paste the majority of reasons why that I already posted in the pre-event thread when the question came up (again!):

Regardless of the robustness of a digital display unit (which if it has a glass screen can always crack in an accident), if it is powered, and requires electrical power to illuminate/display the actual information IT CAN FAIL.

Paper is paper - you can take it out of the road-book holder and it still works. Even if the motor in your paper road-book holder fails, you can still wind it on manually by hand. Sure you might not win the stage, but you will get to the end.

In addition, going through the road-book yourself the evening before is an integral part of the riders own preparation - marking it up in a way that suits you (not relying on some computer geek with a pallet full of unnecessary colours), with your own priorities and colour coding - not least as some people have a different colour spectrum or even a degree of colour blindness... reading through the roll as you mark it up it also helps to familiarise yourself with any key elements/hazards, and make you own [additional] notes etc.

There is also the fact that a paper road-book is a physical hard copy that cannot be corrupted (well, as long as your road book holder is relatively water resistant), and that if you need to add or remove a section part the way through a stage (which is more likely to happen on longer Dakar length stages), then paper and a piece of tape is a quick fix.

Yes, it is feasible that the Orga could simply re-flash an electronic road-book with an updated route - either via wifi or a memory stick. But it is far easier to have any changes written on a white board at the refuel (for example) and let the competitors sort it out themselves. An example might be if there had been a road closure/wash out etc. immediately prior to the start of or even during a particular stage - no time to get the digital update out to the remote location.

I'd also add that a digital/LCD screen could prove more difficult to read in certain lighting conditions (reflections and sun glare for example) - certainly various trip computers and GPS screens all suffer from this to a degree, when actually old fashioned segmented LED displays tend to work better for a Trip Meter for example.

And ultimately, it's nice to have a framed section of road book on the wall to remind you not to crash in future... ;o)

[​IMG]

KM 96.50 - who knew there'd be a bloody great hole just to the left of that intersection...

Jx