2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw that.
    So elite bikes get reseeded because it is dangerous to have fast bikes mixed up with slower bikes.
    Mixing fast quads which generate huge dust clouds with the slowest bikes is however fine? :loco
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    In the past penalties have been applied as quickly as they can (or not, depending on if you feel ASO are in cahoots with certain top teams, ahem), so sometimes they did not show up prior to the start of the following stage, therefore the original finish order was the start order for the next day...

This year, with a smaller field and shorter stages (so far) it would appear that the Orga have had plenty of time to apply the speeding penalties etc. prior to the start the following day - well, so far at least...

On the whole, the target is to have all penalties applied overnight/prior to publishing the official start order the next day - in the same way that some riders are reseeded.

Jx
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  3. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Yep... that is why there is not a lot of love for Quads amongst the F5 crowd. ;o)

Jx
  4. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:

They run to ERTF Trip meters that repeat from the GPS. One will bet set purely with CAP and one trip distance. The third RNS unit will be a backup/speedo depending on preference. You should read Brake Magazine more, we'll teach you this stuff :p
    hubilado, yardracer, ba_ and 3 others like this.
  5. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Looking at the clipboard carried by the marshall, it appears to be some kind of tablet (USB cable) with what looks like a RF modem attached.
    Does anybody know what hardware and what application the marshalls use? He is messing with the ERTF unit, so could he be downloading data? I don't see a cable plugged into the bike though. What would the RF modem be connected to?
    From how clean the bike looks, I'm guessing this is the start of the special rather than the end.

[​IMG]
  6. LlelP

LlelP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The use ERTF equipment to check you hit all the waypoints and didn't speed.
    Every morning they check that it's working properly too.
  7. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup - those guys can flat R I D E!
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    It is quite possible they are updating the data in the UNIK GPS to reflect changes in the road book... if you recall on Stage 1 (Day 2), Annie Seel said she fell foul of an ambiguous update to the speeding zone in the modified road book (vs. what was actually programmed into the GPS).

Basically, the waypoints are all programmed into the UNIK GPS, and you enter an unlock code each day (given to you at the departure of the bivouac) to access that day's waypoints and speed zones etc.

Its entirely possible that they had to edit that information due to the stage being cut short, with various original WPs and speed-zones no longer applying, and the Orga rep in the photograph is ensuring the rider has the most up-to-date information, prior to departing the DSS.

Jx
  9. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    This is from last year but you get the idea. I'm loving Jurgens updates and Bivouac reports even though I can't speak Dutch. The latest from Jujuy with Jasper which I can't share off FB (me being thick maybe) is funny as. I think he / they are slightly mad which I like :clap

640 Armageddon likes this.
  10. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Does the M on the fairing in the photo below not denote a Malle Moto rider?
    [​IMG]
  11. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
  12. 8340SU

8340SU Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Does anybody knows what is he doing in the Honda team. He used to be Hélder's mechanic since the early days, many years ago.
    That's Miguel, who makes the MigTec roadblocks holders.
  13. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    I heard rumors about the last years where Malle Moto riders had external help or even mechanics working for them ?!

Isn´t the Malle Moto part of the bivouac seperated from the other teams and kind of "supervised" to be sure the riders have no helpers there ?
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    The latest generation PUG vers 2.1 is much more like the last evolution of the old (1997) Citröens is appearance... wide stance, sleek body shell/side panels, aggressive front approach angle... but there is not one part on them that would interchange... a whole new technical generation. The V6 petrol mid engined Citröens had 285/R16" tyre/rims and 4WD via a central diff with anything from 70/30 to 60/40 front/rear bias.

The new Vers 2.0 PUG has 2WD (rear wheel), 35" wheels and far greater wheel travel (which in the Citröen Days was limited to 300/350mm).

The latest PEUGEOT 2008 DKR is light years ahead of last years turd. The car they fronted with in 2015 (i believe) was a result of the PR media pressure (and sponsor conditions with RedBull) to get the team to the start after the bug media coup that PEUGEOT were returning to DAKAR after 25 years away. In the "red tide" hey day of PEUGEOT/CITRÖEN under the guidance of Jean Todt and Guy Frequelin... PEUGEOT would never have fronted to a DAKAR with such an unproven vehicle... wherever Jean T' red stormtroopers turned up... they came prepared - and they literally stomped the competition.

The new PUG Vers 2.1 bears very little technical similarity to it's predecessor - other than the driver/nav cockpit, the basicengine/transmission configuration and the colour scheme. They scarpped the entire front end from the windscree and re-designed the rear chassis suspension completely. Like the car itself, the team and personel under Bruno Famin bear little resemblance to those involved with the "red tide" of the 90's... one thing that this years effort show's though - that the "take no prisoners through technical superiority" of the Citröen hey day.

PUG vers 2.1 is the car that they should have developed from the start... but perhaps the "turd" was the dud they needed to get the fire in their belly.

This year they have the most star studded driver line up, and a vehicle (supposedly better suited to off piste - but surprisingly capable on the WRC roads thus far - perhaps in no little amount due to the rally skills of Sebbe and carlos). With Peterhansel and Despres DAKAR resumé... PEUGEOT is looking imposing at this stage. The "fiabilité" is still the only questionmark...!?
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of stuff that goes on at 4.00 am in the morning... especially as the rally wears on, the fatigue sets in and survival becomes premier to the letter of the rules...

After the "salt bebacle" at uyuni last year, there were a couple of nights where "carte blanche" was the menu as far as servicing regulations were concerned.
    Rato Molhado and nry like this.
  16. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thing he's not my age; he'd have to get up to p*** twice in those 3.5hrs!

:wave
    G'Mornin' All!
    :sip
  17. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    From what I'm told it's normally in a "handy" spot near the elf truck and the michelin truck and food / amenities etc so not really separated. I did see someone sitting under a shade looking like an official and I remember one of the riders servicing after the salt last year and having the org looking over his shoulder.
    garfey, LlelP and *kartman* like this.
  18. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I knew what the components were (ODO, CAP, Spr ODO), my question was the manufacturer since I hadn't see that type. ICO and Trailtech is pretty much all we see here in the states. I read the link posted earlier in the thread. Good stuff!
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    As per the rules Steve... you are correct... it should be the "scratch" result (stage time only no road penalties) for each stage that is used to determine the start order (aside from re-seeding). The thing is that "speeding" zone penalties ARE included on the "scratch" result, and thereby throw a spanner n the works... as they are not tabulated till later each evening.
  20. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    I thought it was marathon but thats because in the past I seem to recall Males moto had a "MM". Now I think yes it's Malles moto.