2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR f5irehose - THANK YOU ALL F5 posters and lurkers!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by troy safari carpente, Dec 27, 2015.

1. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Focus on the Carbon Tower :D
    Sundowner likes this.
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I would say from the video footage I've seen of he new PUG, that it transfers it's weight to the front noticeably yes, but it is not unusual for the long travel front a-arm/rear engined 2WD configuration. What does appear to be a big improvement over the 2015 version is considerably less body roll/lifting of inside rear wheel in corners than it's predecessor, and it goes from braking/understeer into a turn, to powering out of the corner (squat) with weight bias/ traction to the rear is a MUCH better fashion than before. Sebbe has used this to best effect in the WRC stages of LEG 2 and 3.... in the coming days we will see how the new PUG works in off pist rough stuff in the hands of perfecthansel and the protogé mudboy.
    BurtDakarax, Deadly99, LocuL and 2 others like this.
  3. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL :lol3

My bad, but I can tell you that I represent the feelings for most Dutch 2 wheeled Dakar fans.. :y0!
    Carlos M likes this.
  4. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    See Rubby's Gordini, it sloshes around like a bucket of water.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  5. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, no servicing in bivvy for this years overnight stay.

So servicing will have to be done on the course or liason (do we have a liason back to bivvy or do we finish in the bivvy).
  6. AndreasM

AndreasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know Myway already replied, but here an answer spelling it out a bit more - I had trouble finding it myself.

(you can of course also just use the direct link: http://www.trackingdakar.nl/index.php?section=4&order=4)

The steps are:
    1. Start at the (old) live timing page: http://www.trackingdakar.nl/index.php
    2. Click on a WP in the header of the time table: [​IMG]
    3. Click on a rider name in the list.
    BurtDakarax, Linhares, LocuL and 2 others like this.
  7. homerj

Oddometer:
    I see that the orga is referring to a restricted area where only riders and a few approved journos are allowed, but I didn't see anything about a time limit in the Regs PDF. Was that on a supplemental appendix to the rules?
  8. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    As nry says, no - technically if you can fit your parts in the trunk/s, you can change whatever your like, as long as you do the work yourself.

If you pack light, you can even fit a complete engine in your trunk - but things like forks and a swing-arm are usually a bit big (note. Malle Moto riders are allow a pair of spare wheels, in addition to their trunk/s). So on the whole, if you are riding Malle Moto, you might as well enter Marathon too if your bike complies with the scrutineering requirements regarding production parts - unless you are pretty certain your bike is going to need an engine change half way through...

Personally I think there is still a certain cachet in completing the Dakar in 'Marathon' style on the original machine - but the reality is, you do whatever it takes to keep going should something unfortunate occur, and if that means borrowing an engine or replacing other key parts, that's what you do in an effort to obtain that finishers medal... Fortunately the Orga allow you to swap from Marathon to the general [Super Production] class without penalty during the event if required.

Jx
  9. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    thanks, but i cant make it work
    getting too tired
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Over ten yerars around the bivouacs late at night - back in the day... and up to a dozen friends in the bivouc the last ten years, phone calls, stories etc.
    LocuL likes this.
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Parc Ferme means no one touches the bikes, not even the riders.
  12. homerj

Oddometer:
    Found it:

" One of the key moments will take place in Jujuy on 7th January, where a special marathon stage has been prepared: no mechanical interventions will be allowed in the secure enclosure on that evening."
    from this page on Dakar.com
  13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Ruben has race pace today :clap
  14. Rato Molhado

Rato Molhado Psiconauta del inconsciente

Oddometer:
    WP5 and Benavides still opening the road, right? Lost 1:30 to Barreda and Gonc.

Go, Kevin, go! :pynd

PS: Morning girls and lads *sips tea*
  15. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    its ok, sorted
    thanks AndreasM
  16. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Does the organisation differ between [Malle Moto] - [Support Crew but self-service by rider] - [Full Service] ???

IMHO marathon class riders are also allowed to have external help - right ?
    And need to switch classes, e.g. if they change an engine against the rules - but they can stay in the race ? ...
  17. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Jenny, do they allow you to drop out of Malle Moto without penalty if you really have to seek outside mechanical help to keep going? What if the crowd takes over at a fall or breakdown and you are seen obtaining outside assistance? Would an involuntary receipt of mechanical help disqualify you from the class?
  19. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Dakar.com flashes

07:25 : Still up for more
    132 motorcycles and 44 quads took the start this morning. Philippe Caveluis (no. 57), whose engine broke down yesterday, is the only withdrawal.

08:57 : Federico Cola stops before the special
    The Argentinian rider has ground to a halt inside the link section. There seems to be a problem with his lights. This is the second time he's had to stop today.
    • 08:56 : Duclos keeps up the pace
      Sherco's Alain Duclos, the first Frenchman and fifth-placed rider in the general classification, is building on his strong start to the Dakar. He just went through CP1 with the provisional ninth best time. Antoine Meo (KTM) holds the fifth fastest time and Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) is currently sitting in seventh place.
    • 08:38 : Barreda taking no prisoners
      Joan Barreda (Honda) is determined to repeat yesterday's stunning performance. The Spaniard posted the fastest time at CP1, beating teammate Paulo Gonçalves by 22' and Benavides (Honda) by 1'13'.
    • 08:16 : Espinasse's 125 cc challenge
      Sylvain Espinasse is not one to shy away from a challenge. He is taking part in his third Dakar on a two-stroke 125 cc Husqvarna. The magnitude of this challenge will rise with the altitude over the next few days, as his engine is likely to lose more power than four-stroke 450 cc engines.
    • 08:05 : First motorcycles approaching CP1
      The competitors and favourites in the motorcycle category seem unfazed by the marathon stage and got off to a blazing start. Benavides, the Argentinian who opened the field this morning, is already zeroing in on CP1.
    • 07:43 : Meo happy but cautious
      Multiple-time enduro world champion Antoine Meo had a good ride yesterday, finishing in third place and climbing to twelfth place overall, but he wants to stay firmly grounded. Gaining experience is still his top priority, especially navigational skills, his avowed weak point.
    Linhares and Rato Molhado like this.