2016 oops 2020 AK-Colorado to Prudhoe Bay and back.....

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Big_John, Jan 2, 2016.

1. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:
    Hey there Big John, I was looking at your route and it reminded me of something.
    http://www.dreamcycle.ca/
    It's a neat little place anyone in the area should check out, it has a little cafe attached if you're hungry. You'll have to head a little bit further north from Kelowna before cutting over to Kamloops. I'd also recommend crossing over a little further east say near Creston BC, get from there to Revelstoke then head west. There is some awesome pavement in that area. Try something like this, Creston BC to Crawford bay, ferry over to Balfour. From there go to Kaslo then over to New Denver and up to Nakusp. Keep going until you get to the ferry that will take you over to Shelter Bay. From there go up to Revelstoke then take the Trans Can over to Kamloops. I had a brilliant time in that area. The ferries were free and I met lots of other riders while waiting for them.
  2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Great ideas. I will look into it.

3. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Alright.....maybe this post will stir up a little comment..... How about Inuvik?

Since I have about 3 additional days for travel, I am thinking about a second trip above the Arctic Circle.

Yes I know....it is all about the weather, but thinking about adding this to the route, before picking up......BrownEyedSuzanne....

[​IMG]
  4. BrownEyedSuzanne

BrownEyedSuzanne n00b

Oddometer:
    Planning for a very exciting trip to Alaska and back!! John and I have been looking forward to making this happen, WooHoo!!
  5. Big_John

Oddometer:
    She can ride boys!!! And she is ready for AK!!!!

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]
  6. Big_John

Oddometer:
    These should give me about 35-40 miles......on top of 225 miles.....

260 miles in a pinch...... 2 of them at 1.5L each....

Of course, I will fill up at every gas station.

Services are limited on the Dempster. Gas, diesel fuel and repairs are available at Eagle Plains 365.7 km/227 miles, Ft. McPherson 555 km/345 miles, and at Inuvik. Appropriate preparation is essential.

[​IMG]
  7. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:
    Yes! I got really lucky with the weather, no rain at all. I went up one day and back the next. By far probably the coolest ride I've ever done.

On another note I got bored a couple weekends ago and did some math for those who might be curious, $5100. What does that include? That's all my gas, food, lodging, spare parts to take along and a couple replacements before I left home, tires, and cigarettes. If you don't smoke you'll get by on a lot less. You can probably get by on fewer tires than I did too, two fronts and three rears.
    Big_John likes this.
  8. Big_John

Oddometer:

Ha!....Yep, don't smoke those $15 packs and will do Heidenau's up and back.....one set of tires. Should save me a Grand!!!!!

Dan Diego likes this.
  9. StrokedNBored

StrokedNBored Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good trip. I had to take a similiar one in 2014 - not enough time off.
    I suggest a side-stop into Hyder, AK if you're going up and down the Cassiar both ways. Very nice views and a cool little town.

Here was my trip: 15 days from Austin, TX to Prudhoe and back with side stops in Valdez, Hyder, Ice Fields parkway. I had to cut off chicken and TOW Highway from my original plans due to time constraints.

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=a04d538cb785e0e58&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a04d538cb785e0e58
  10. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Giddy up, Bro!.....and all in 15 days.

11. elcanaco

elcanaco It ain't easy bein' me!

Oddometer:
  12. elcanaco

Oddometer:
    Big John, I retired to Castlegar,BC (on your route almost) 5 years ago because of the awesome riding in the Kootenay's (I winter in Mesa, AZ) and am leaving my home around June 13-14. I plan to hit the D2D then do the TOW and on to Fairbanks, down to Anchorage, Homer and then circle back on the Alcan through Chetwynd for the ride home. I did the D2D last year and the Dempster (solo) but am looking for a riding partner for some/all of this ride. I have nothing but free time so PM me and we can compare itineraries. For this riding I'll ride my '12 Tiger Explorer.
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:

I really appreciate the offer, but I have made the decision to solo this ride. On purpose, I want to be alone until I get to Anchorage and pick up the wife at the airport. It's just a part of my adventure mentality of seeking lonely places with solitude.

If we run in to each other, it will be my pleasure to meet you.

14. elcanaco

Oddometer:
    Hey no problem and yes maybe our paths will cross somewhere,
    Gord
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'm sure it may sound harsh, but if your head is not right for a trip like this, my advice...stay home. you're not traversing wilderness in any sense, but you need to be 100% engaged and able to concentrate fully on all aspects of the ride. no doubts, no distractions.

your route leaves some things on the table each direction.

MedJet and a road service plan with unlimited towing, don't start the trip without both. read the fine print, if you don't see "unlimited", find another service. put pins in a map for the BMW dealers along your route, take a look at the miles, 2X for a rollback, then do the math with a $/mile rate that will take your breath away. a SPOT (or equal) tracker is a huge comfort for those at home, and provides a bit of safety net for you.

cut no corners on your bike prep. have a good tire plan, and be capable of doing your own tire work/repair if necessary.

been up that way a number of times, it's a heck of a trip. safe travels.
  16. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Without fear there is no excitement. Without intimidation there is no need to take a breath and become stronger....

I've traveled all my life mostly alone. There were times when I was lonely, cold, and concerned. Never underestimate the kindness of people you've never met when help is needed. You may be on the side of the road with a broken bike and not a chance to fix it. But....a few days later all will be well. It always is.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  17. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I'm all good, boys. Yes, I went through a week of deep thought, letting all the magnitude of this trip sink in....wondering, worrying, thinking, planning, worrying.....yeah. I'm way past that and all I have is excitement at this point. I'm looking at the calendar and counting the days.

I'm on a business trip now, but return home tomorrow and will dive into the bike over the 3-day weekend. The Progressive Spring has arrived and I will put the shock back together. Since the shock only has 14k miles on it, I am not fully rebuilding it at this time. The oil is getting drained and the valve covers are coming off to measure and adjust the valves. I'm going to wire in a power point up to the bars, with an inline fuse. etc. etc.....
  18. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I did run across this comment this evening and hadn't thought about boarder crossing times. Does anyone know the "open" hours for the crossing on TOTW west of Dawson?

19. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know the border crossing hours but I rode it while wet and it was fine. I swear to you that a once-shiny HD cruiser came at us with his feet up on his highway pegs. It's a fine road, either way...
  20. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    • "Open mid-May to mid September, 8am - 8pm".....from this site