2016 oops 2020 AK-Colorado to Prudhoe Bay and back.....

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Big_John, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might look into the Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit power distribution harness. I put one on my WR and it (to me) is the perfect solution for electrical accessories. Appears really well made. I power my heated grips, USB outlet, and the GPS. When I turn the bike off the accessories are disconnected automatically.
  2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Giddy up....will do..

3. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to figure out this..."extra fuel challenge". Yeah, I know....guys just strap a gallon can or two on the back and go.....but it isn't that easy from me.

I have the wife with me on the way back and the GS tends to be really heavy on the rear and I just don't want to add an extra 18 lbs to the rear subframe, shock and tire.

I have been thinking about everything....but think I actually have a solution that will work. This will keep the fuel weight up front, around the tank.

1.5L Fuel Container
    Wolfman Tank Panniers

1.6 Gallons and at 45 mpg....about 70 additional miles if I need it.

The dimensions look perfect for one another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Many people approach the extra gas question in many ways. The most cost effective way is to know when you may need extra gas. When that comes up, you can by a cheap gas can, strap it somewhere temporarily, and empty it into your tank as soon as you can. Then pass the can off to someone else who may need it. Easy and cheap plus you save the cost of the tank side bags and don't have to carry the stuff the whole trip.

For my set up I've got a Rotopax thing that bolts to my side racks. I can surely use my above advice and leave it at home but it balances out the saddle bags with the offset on the WR. Here is a photo.

IMG_2791-L.jpg
    smilin jack likes this.
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW, that's Alaska Daylight Time. For anyone coming from Canada into Alaska, it's 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM YDT.

Regarding the TOTW when it's wet: Yes, it can get a bit slimy, but using due caution it should present no problem. I've met Gold Wings and other street bikes up there in the rain and they were doing all right. The only time I've seen it get really challenging was during the recent construction on the Alaska side with small "ponds" to ride through when it was pouring rain. That stretch is now freshly paved asphalt. One of the biggest threats on the TOTW is tourists in land barges. Many of them are so afraid of the right hand edge that they will be driving on the opposite side and crowd a motorcycle to the far side. Some of the ones who aren't afraid end up upside down or on their side. So keep an eye on the four-wheeled vehicles, they're not out to get you, but sometimes it seems that way.
  6. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Had a nice day and I could disappear in the garage for about three hours so did some work on the bike.

1. Installed the new progressive spring on the rear shock.
    2. Installed the shock on the bike.
    3. Compressed the front spring on the front shock and dialed up the preload.
    4. Installed the 'new to me' after market exhaust. (Oh this bike actually sounds really good now and weighs 9 lbs lighter!)
    5. After prepping the plastics for painting, during the Bronco's Super Bowl win....today, they got their primer coats.
    6. Installed the Maier Rear Fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Well.....all the good laid plans are going by the way-side....and all for a great reason.

On Friday night, my wife tells me..... I've been thinking about this Alaska trip for the past 5-6 weeks, not really sharing my thoughts with you, but I have decided to do the whole thing with you. I don't want to miss all that you have planned and I don't want to be away from you for the first 10 days of the trip.

Right away, I pick up my glass of Bourbon and pour the contents down my pipe.

In the back of my head, I am wondering.....can she really endure and do this whole thing? All the while thinking.....God it would be great if she were with me for the whole trip. At that point, I tell her.... Ok, I have to share some facts with you and you have to accept that I am trying to intimidate and scare the heck out of you. I then list two dozen reasons she should just meet me in Anchorage, foregoing the first part.

She then says....Honey, I have done a 600 mile day with you and then another 500 mile day on the back of a Vstrom, that wasn't half as comfortable as our GS. And, you and I have ridden some of the toughest stuff as anyone, 2-up in the Colorado Rockies. Three years ago, we endured a three day loop of 1,200 miles in Colorado with 3-5 hours of riding in the rain each day. There isn't anything about this trip that we cannot do, and I want to do it all with you.....even the Haul Road. She says....I want to go to above the Arctic Circle and I want to go all the way to Prudhoe Bay. I also want to do Top of the World and I want to see Dawson.

She says...there is one non-negotiable..... There will be a roof over our heads every night. (I do explain we will be taking two bags and our tiny 2-person tent as insurance.)

Ok.....I says.....

After all.....Women rule this world.

So, I do need to do a little route altering and I will be eliminating Inuvik.....

Ol Man likes this.
  8. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    You can leave her with The Dick in Dawson City while you go to Inuvik! :amazon
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    That is really cool John! I've never been able to find a lady that would ride that far and put up with me. You are a lucky man. BTW...does she have a single sister that is wealthy, has a lot of property, with the same mindset, and likes guys who look like Brad Pitt? :lol3
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forget it, I'm already taken.

:rofl
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    There must be twins...yep that's it :)
  12. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Yeah fellas...I know I am a very blessed man. Matter of fact, we have just never found another couple to ride with that rides like we do. Most couples think that 250 miles a day is horrendously long...and very few will venture off of pavement. Ok, I admit that a KTM 950ADV that is well equipped for 2-up dirt riding makes that job easier and our GS can really crunch the highway miles with comfort. Guys ask me all the time.....how do you get your wife to ride so much with you? I have a couple of simple tips....

1. Equip the bike for her comfort, experience and sense of security. If you are throwing a gal on the back with a horrible seat and don't have a back box that is solid and she feels safe leaning up against.....it's usually deal over, especially for longer days.

2. Women like to talk.....I've heard they say 3x more words a day than a man. Get a good blue-tooth com system. The wife and I talk more when we are riding that at any other time. That's a big part of why she enjoys our riding time together.

3. Clean sheets, hot shower every day, good food and good wine..... That's all I got to say.

Bacca likes this.
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Oh....and.....get her good gear. If she is cold and wet.....it is game over.

14. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Have her all back together and took her for a spin this morning. The new rear progressive spring and tightening up the preload on the front spring makes the bike feel so much better....firm and planted....rather than squishy. The new pipe makes the bike sound fantastic and I guarantee you....there is more horsepower to the rear wheel. Even with the engine guards installed, which adds more weight up front, the bike lifts the front tire off the ground easier than before.....she has some serious 'get up and go'.

I just love the black!!!! It is like a triple black with a silver frame and looks really great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Got these delivered and they are a perfect fit. Love this solution!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  16. NorthPole

NorthPole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big John,
    If you need a place to do a tire swap when you get up here to Fairbanks look me up. I would be more than happy to let you use some floor space in my shop. I do have basic tools. Also if you need a place to toss a sleeping bag for the night we can accommodate you on that.
    I am planning to ride my K1600 to KC in early June and planning to make a side trip through part Colorado on the way back.
  17. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    3 trips to Alaska, 2 D2D's, Deadhorse and Inuvik visited, Campbell, TOW and Denali Hwys traveled.

Now that you are 2 up for the entire trip, leave the camping gear home, plenty of places to stay.
    When covering aggressive mileage I prefer not to waste time setting up and taking down camp or sleeping on the ground.
    The room privacy will hopefully be enjoyable and a private bath is always a plus.
    I like to see how travel progress is going and around 3:00pm figure out that nights destination and check Booking.com and book a room.
    Then no matter how late it gets you have a place to sleep.

Take " Bear Spray" for protection from 4 and 2 legged critters.

Alaska impossible to see in 1 trip.
    Your 18 -19 day trip would be more enjoyable if you save some for another trip.

I would suggest you go to Dawson City for D2D (book a room now for Thurs and Friday), maybe ride the Dempster out as far as Eagle Plaines (the rest to Inuvik is just tundra) (book a room now for Saturday) and then continue on to the Artic Circle turn around and go back to Dawson City.
    TOW Hwy to Tok and then head south.
    The ferry from Whitter to Valdez is beautiful.
    The Hwy down to Haines is amazing and the ferry from Haines to Skagway and take Hwy out from Skagway makes a nice loop.

Love the Cassier Hwy 37.
    Recommend Northwind Hotel in Dease Lake or Bell 2 Lodge both are fuel stops.
    Best to top off tank whenever you pass a pump.

Consider riding Hwy 37A into and out of Hyder, stay at SeaAlaska Inn and ride the 21 miles to the Salmon Glacier.

Safe Travels
  18. Big_John

Oddometer:

NP, I really appreciate the offer, but we are going to experience the wonderfulness of the University Alaska Dorms....just because.

I have also decided to use Dan's services on a couple of new Heidenau's......

Enjoy your trip....sounds awesome as well.
    XXMe likes this.
  19. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Yep....and even more enjoyable......2-up!!! hahahaha Giddy Up!

I would really like to make D2D happen....but it kicks off around our departure date and I really can't leave 5 days earlier.

20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My wife loves to camp...

Did you added heated vests to the mix?
    AK can get cold.

I prefer tacos, beaches & warm so Mexico is my spot however. Have fun!