2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, :wave
    The plate is various thickness anything from 3 up to 5 mm in certain areas.
    Deviantart was used to scout for designs and make the very preliminary sketches of the bike, discuss the old/new Suzi look, and how 'blend' the old looks with the new. Man, these guys have some serious talent either in Sketchbook and Photoshop.

That was the spirit indeed, with designers from other field getting involved too to create the front of the bike, taking into account what was getting designed as a rear in Spain from another team of designers.
    Visuals, aerodynamics and the whole lot, was discussed with members of the Devianart, then other members of the team has to 'compare' how the design and the 'lines' compare to current bikes in the field regarding front size, screen protection etc. Mainly the orange ones as you can guess....
    As much as I wanted Barreda to test the whole package to be sure, it did not happen :lol2 , if it had, then you would see only the left handlebar in that photo :rofl
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I get the whole "grooming young talent for the future" thing, and (as others had pointed out elsewhere) the parallels drawn between young Sheldon (today) and Robby (back in the day) are very apparent. I was at the Fireworks 250 in 1990, back when the (then) teenage RG made his debut in the Venable Class 8 F-150, and the other SCORE races that year. The sensation that permeated off road racing in SoCal. at that time was electric. This "young gun" son of "Baja Bob" that put it to all of the established legends like Walker Evans, Larry Ragland and Ivan Stewart as a rookie, was something else to witness.

But if the learning curve from short course offroad racing, to desert racing is one thing... then the jump to multi-day marathon style offroad races like DAKAR is a quantum leap by comparison.

I get that RG wants to groom the future - if anything, that's something that many feel his program has lacked in the past... Along with a methodical test program for DAKAR/Gordini and the Hummbuggies before it... Which were more like a series of "once a year" efforts (for ten years running) as opposed to a structured long term program; like VW, BMW/Mini/X-Raid or even Toyota exhibit.

If the "Sheldon Show" was a bona-fide attempt to build the future... I would think that you'd groom/prepare him (and the Gordini) by running a program of other lead up events. Put him in the #337 Gordini for the Baja 500, or the Vegas 2 Reno, or NORRA 1000 or Baja 1000 races during the year, to acclimatize, learn the terrain, tolearn the navigational and teamwork side of the game.

But just "dropping him in the deep end" in the (since recent years standard "last minute" procedure) at the annual Planet Robby pre-DAKAR hype press release...? Well, that just seems more about making a "dog and pony" show out of the latest "wonder Sheldon" to grace the SST racing series, than a legitimate shot at claiming success at DAKAR... something that still eludes RG, despite all the podium jumps and stage wins over the last decade. :norton

He does have a legion of wild and crazy, enthusiastic orange SPEED fans though... and that's good for ratings... and ASO know that... so that's why it does not surprise me deadly that Sheldon got the "okay" from the selection comittee to start. :D
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    The smooth rounded and aerodynamic front end fairing/front guard is quite nice I must say... and on the sides are the "RM" style radiator shrouds of the series production motocross model... then at the rear - what looks like a "cibic zirconia" inspired triangulated fuel cell...?
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  4. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Hell of a lot of work Dimitri, congrats!
  5. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me rephrase my reply too.
    The rear end is a 20lt CF tank which is a hell of expensive at it is build by a company that manufactures WRC parts in Spain. This was designed first of all and we had little to do with it, so no real chances to change it. The mold alone is five figure (in Euros...). It is also complicated inside so not good once it's setup, to start a new design from clean paper.
    Now the front, was there to remind (1) of the latest Vstrom 1000, [if you look the front nose is exactly the same, although masked by CS Santosh's sticker layout] and (2) to remind to us, the ones that grew with it the GSX750s new Katana with its flip up headlight. As much as I tried to convince the team to go with a flip up, it was a no go :lol2 .

Be patient Troy, and you will understand the whys and whens in the built up thread. I am sure it will give something for the F5ers (and not only them) to read before we go green light for Dakar... At least we said share, not scare :brow
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Thank's Dimi,

I am sure - as always - there were a great many things things to consider, that went into the design/build phase of the project. Some that are mutually exclusive to others perhaps... like you described.

My initial (admittedly less than tactful) reply was just an honest opinion that blurted out... and I forgot momentarily, that the conversation (which otherwise normally we would have had amongst ourselves privately) was on a public domain.

I wish the SUZUKI team effort for Dakar 2016 all the success they have coming... indeed as I said a few pages back, it is a shame that team yellow doesn't have more backing/greater factory support than it does - but hopefully this effort will lead to bigger and better things for the future. :thumb
  7. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I've read it doesn't sound like Suzuki has the kind of spare funds to spend on a rally racing program as others do. Further, what commercial benefit would they gain? Sell more Wee Stroms, DRs, or DRZs? I don't think so.
  8. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    I imagine same could be said of Yamaha, or a few years ago Honda?
  9. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Umm what's Honda been selling more of as a result of their effort?

Headbands?

Handlebars?
    theantipaul and 640 Armageddon like this.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Maybe if Suzuki updated one of their ds bikes they'd have an incentive to spend some cash on marketing....just sayin. Kawi and Suzuki are light years behind the competitors in the ds market.
  11. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Have to agree, little has been done to the 450x since I bought my '06, but I do hope they apply some of what they've developed.

The rest have done squat when compared to Sherco & Beta.
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Honda....AT
    theantipaul likes this.
  13. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Hi Troy,

I'm not into cars, in fact I find nothing interesting about them at all. I was wondering though could any comparisons be drawn in terms of on and off road racing experience between this Sheldon fellow and Craig Lowndes driving and winning Safari a couple of years ago ?
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    that's the next forum thread... Handguards headbands and handlebars...
  15. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They sell a lot of Groms to wannabes
    Deadly99 likes this.
  16. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

Really?
  17. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:

And as a result the dr series are leading sales - at least down here in the arse end of the world...
  18. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Linhares likes this.
  19. Scottyridewhere?

Scottyridewhere? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One opinion: Marketing in North America.

The ASO KNOWS they don't have market penetration here in NA, and the Gordini show is the only one that has long term brand name recognition for joe public..

Ergo, more splash, and with a seasoned navigator to reign in the kid, someone who has cred in the Dakar and the rest of the Rally Raid community... makes sense to me!

Cars are more to the liking to the average joe in NA than bikes..

what do i know, i've never raced...

cheers,
    S.
    Surf & Moto likes this.
  20. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Quite a map !! Need to click and poke around but its all there !!