2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Nah, I don't think so (the majority of this will only make sense to the Aussie's that poke their head in here :wink:).

Craig Lowndes - after 20 years at the top of Australian V8 Supercar racing - was given the opportunity to drive for a top team at the Australian Safari. That was his first ever offroad/rally type event... ever. He won.

The ENOURMOUS difference in this case, is the scale of the task at hand. The 'Safari is a 7 day cross country rally - each day is generally about 500 to 700 km in length (total) including both liason and selective stages... for a grand total of about 3,500 to 4,000 km's - max! The DAKAR is... well, you know... TWICE or even three times as daunting.

The competition at the top echelon of the Safari in the AUTO category is nowhere near as tough as DAKAR. With respect to the top 10 drivers in the Oz Safari ranks (a good number of them are old friends of mine), for the mostpart they are very good drivers, in well heeled semi-privateer efforts... in Australia the top 3 or 4 of them dominate. Lowndes came to the Safari after years of competing in front of the media spotlight... the sponsors, the interviews, the politics... the SAFARI was not a big pressure deal for him. Kees (team owner/navigator) kept him reigned in and on track for the duration, and they won. Great story, great effort... but.

That is NOTHING like going up against the likes of X-RAID, Toyota SAF/Overdrive, VW, Puegeot etc. These are the factory teams with budgets and personel 50 deep, that you have to match pace with from the flag drop, if you are to run with the top 10 at DAKAR...

On two previous occassions we've had Aussie's nudge into the top 20 spots overall (Garland 11th one year, Olholm 11th only a couple years ago). Both were herculean efforts which had - by comparison - meager resources compared to the factory teams. Their final placings were the result of two weeks of attrition... Generally speaking the top Aussie Safari auto competitors have run somewhere around the pos. 30 mark and slowly work their way forward, as the numbers drop. That tactic doesn't cut it for a team looking to podium at DAKAR.

Lowndes debut Safari win, was something more akin (I would imagine) to the situation where RG puts Sheldon into the Gordini for a rally like the NORRA 1000, and he comes away with a victory. THAT would be along the lines of a grooming for the future, experience type of program, that I would think one would "school" a newcomer; in preparation for a DAKAR attempt. But as Robby himself put it, they chose to "drop him in the deep end".

I think that a better analogy (for the purpose of estimating the DAKAR task that is ahead of this new young star - Sheldon Creed), would be if you put Toby Price in one of the HRT factory team Commodores at Bathurst in October, and expect him to run in the top ten at Mt Panorama - first time out. :1drink
    splinters, michael1968 and nry like this.
  3. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably the most overlooked guy in the top 10:
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Maybe not so much overlooked... as downplayed by the newly established Husky/Rockstar team? It seems to be the RedBull backed KTM squad who are recieving most of the PR hype this year... even the HRC media machine is quieter than in previous years? Maybe all the press liasons are flat out pumping the new Africa Twin for all it's worth...? :ear:lol3

That clip of Quintanilla was impressive... and only a few years ago footage like that; of a rider punting a "Rally bike" around an mx track; sending it over huge jaw dropping jumps, railing berms and the like - would have had the forum inmates waxing lyrical for a couple of pages here, at least.

But today, with the current crop of formula 450 bikes - their lighter wieght distribution, lower COG fuel cells and mx/enduro inspired chassis/handling; coupled with the latest breed of young gun racers - this kind of "action" is far more commonplace amongst the top 20 or 30 riders in the DAKAR field... there are far more young pilots with "Alien" riding skills that can "whip" these new generation 450's - like never before.
    misery goat and Strong Bad like this.
  5. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to remember the young pilots are invincible, almost scary for an old guy like me.
  6. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    That music though...
  7. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what makes them invincible.
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    ohh
  9. critter731

critter731 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Do you have this in Google Earth? and hell why I am wishing do you have the Liasons and Specials done? LOL
  10. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can download it from the map, more see link button set all layers visible you want to download and load it in kml file format.
    In a GE kml only one person can edit, here many can edit. If you log in.
  11. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Found another breadcrumb from Facebook.

"Es en departamento ojo de agua sgo del estero..."

the race goes by this guy's house.
  12. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be aware that a name is not always the city village, they could mentioned, municipio or a departamento.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojo_de_Agua_Department

[​IMG]

Here you see the area, this is a part of the Province Santiago del Estero
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3574234#map=9/-29.2684/-63.8937
    and there is a village Villa Ojo de Agua
    This is on the assistance route, or did he ment the competion ruta.

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/dakar-2016-map_63274#11/-29.4187/-63.9191

It is not easy to set the point correctly.
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    With all the attention toward the SPEED team ... did you guys hear there is a dude entered on a Husky 125 ?

[​IMG]
    KZJohn and troy safari carpente like this.
  14. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Totally cool. I've always enjoyed the little bikes!! Would like to see a write up for the build of this bike.

TravelGuy

15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Add that guy to the watch list
    yardracer likes this.
  16. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    A top-end per day will keep his two-stroke okay? Ha, ha I rhymed there.

I love it when people take a hard race and make it harder.
  17. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say guys, but I am mostly out this year. I will lurk and pop in here and there with a comment but for the most part, for once, I can't push life aside. I had a production Oracle instance go live this morning which means I start today building data models needed to run the business. The pace (and my boss) will be relentless. I haven't been able to pay enough attention for the kick off thread so if any one of the young guns wants to assume the mantle, the chance is yours.
  18. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Nnnnoooooooooooooo!

We'll miss you Doyle.
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Packmule and now Doyle...
  20. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have we gone from F5ireHose to F5spigot this year?