2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
  2. FORE!

FORE! Dakar Vet, but that's not what defines me

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!! Thought I would chime in here. Wrist is healing, had a doc appointment yesterday and everything is in the right place. The distal portion of the Radius is plated, and we are encouraging growth underneath the plate as quickly as possible. The plate puts everything in a fixed position so there is not much harm in using it now. Unless of course, I do something that breaks the plate. That would not be good news. I have limited range of motion in both wrists, the left worse than the right.
    The positive side of all of this is that I am mentally strong, and this is just a small painful inconvenience that will not keep me from the finish line.
    Lots of details coming together at the last minute. We are supposed to get our hands on our official helmets on Christmas Eve. We are flying to BA on Saturday afternoon 12/26. The helmet painter is like, "no problem if you don't get it on the 24th, we can have it fedex delivered on 12/26, since you fly out that afternoon". Sheesh.
    Can't wait! This is going to be the experience of a lifetime! And it will be fun to share it with you guys!

Scott
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Enjoy the F5 experience (not nearly as fun as being there but still fun)

Good luck in the Silk Way next summer, hopefully those pesky Peugeots don't show up and you can be on the top of the podium :pynd
  4. athens01

athens01 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the archivists out there:
    The 2015 Dakar Challenge winners and their 2016 Dakar status. Correct me if I'm wrong (as if I need to say it...)

Jason Venter, RFS Endurance DC car winner (March 27-28 2015 South Africa), No entry for 2016 Dakar (?)
    Diego Martin Duplessis, Desafío Ruta 40- Dakar Series DC moto winner (May 18-24 2015 Argentina), #104 for 2016 Dakar
    Leandro Creatore, Desafio Ruta 40- Dakar Series DC quad winner (May 18-24 2015 Argentina), #277 for 2016 Dakar
    Steven Eugenio, Bud Light SCORE Baja 500 DC car winner (June 4-7 2015 Mexico), No entry for 2016 Dakar (?)
    Jacopo Cerutti, Sardegna Rally Race DC moto winner (June 6-11 2015 Italy), #50 for 2016 Dakar
    Kevin Benavides, Desafío Guarani- Dakar Series DC moto winner (July 20-26 2015 Paraguay), #47 for 2016 Dakar
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  5. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some ADV-sized avatars if you want to show your support for Scott and Ian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dieselcruiserhead likes this.
  6. Shivanshu

Shivanshu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is also an Indian rider : C.S.Santosh participating in Dakar 2016
  7. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    BIONIC!!!

[​IMG]
  8. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. athens01

athens01 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a link on the deviantart forum that chronicles their involvement with the suzuki effort?
  10. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    athens01 and mrwwwhite like this.
  11. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :clap Gee... of all the Yamaha versions so far... ^^^ that is the closest to a rally bike with "original lines and MX inspired ergo's" as I've seen. :clap

Veeery nice indeed! :clap

... these "formula 450" rallybikes are getting so minimalistic... except for the nav cockpit and lowboy pipe - the "silhouette" of this bike is not much more than the production version WRF... easily the most identifiable DAKAR bike in the field, with it's showroom counterpart. (a lot of salesroom relevance to the WRF450 and WRF250R).

Well done Yamaha... now get a full scale factory rider program together and go after team orange with it! :thumb
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes - I presume the box under the screen (above the front fender) is for the Iritrack? - can't see where else they could fit it... If only ASO would drop that clunky device and use something the size of the Rally Comp in future (with a similar size 2-way comms device of course).

That Yamaha is a very neat set-up!

Jx
  14. Surf & Moto

Surf & Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is just me or the front fender looks shortened
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Yep... :nod Ditch the bulky irri-track for something a bit more compact, and replace the paper road book holder/ICO configuration (now, don't get off your bike, just yet Jenny :wink: hear this through :lol3) with a digital tablet format (downloaded at the bivouac out control - to circumvent the "google map men cheats" - as HogWild has been canvassing about in the nav/mapping threads).

This would mean that all of the route instructions, hazards, WPM's, CAP headings and CP's etc. were uploaded... No hours spent all night colouring in. (The ORGA could make a PDF version available for riders to review of a night... just not available for them to download/modify). It would mean that the same route info is available for everyone... less of an advantage to the factory dudes (with mappers/helpers) over the privateers... the WP's and CP's can all be monitored via GPS to avoid course cutting.

... when we get this far, the formula 450's will be at a stage (other than the extra fuel load, water etc.) where they are on par with the regular mx/enduro spec' bikes from they are evolved.
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    The shorter (super moto-like) front fender does give the snout a bit of a stubbier appearance. Blank off the nav tower and fender though... and it looks pretty much like a YZ mx'er up front to me.
  17. mulgathumper

mulgathumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Yamaha has to be the toughest looking rally bike to date in this years Dakar.. Very nice
  18. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Notice the Ktm forks... Wonder what the board meeting is like with mr ohlins
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  19. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I respectfully disagree...

As I am sure you are aware, going through the road-book yourself the evening before is an integral part of the riders own preparation - marking it up in a way that suits you (not some computer geek with a pallet full of unnecessary colours), with your own priorities and colour coding - not least as some people have a different colour spectrum or even a degree of colour blindness... it also helps to familiarise yourself with any key elements/hazards, and make you own [additional] notes etc.

There is also the fact that a paper road-book is a physical hard copy that cannot be corrupted (well, as long as your road book holder is relatively water resistant), and that if you need to add or remove a section part the way through a stage (which is more likely to happen on longer Dakar length stages), then paper and a piece of tape is a quick fix.

Yes, it is feasible that the Orga could simply re-flash an electronic road-book with an updated route - either via wifi or a memory stick. But it is far easier to have any changes written on a white board at the refuel (for example) and let the competitors sort it out themselves. An example might be if there had been a road closure/wash out etc. immediately prior to the start of or even during a particular stage - no time to get the digital update out to the remote location.

I agree something ought to be be done to stop the overnight route plotters - but at the same time I honestly don't think there is all that much advantage - especially on a rally the length of Dakar? The moment you go off the road book you are riding an unknown, no marked hazards, and fundamentally a route that the zero car has not reccied 24 hours before. It s a hell of a gamble, particularly at the speeds the sharp end ride at...

Personally I feel the way to stop the [course cutting] cheating would be simply to download the track log of the top twenty competitors each evening, and overlay that with the route taken by the Zero car and/or what is actually printed in the road book?

Jx

ps. I'd also add that a digital/LCD screen could prove more difficult to read in certain lighting conditions (reflections and sun glare for example) - certainly various trip computers and GPS screens all suffer from this to a degree, when actually old fashioned segmented LED displays tend to work better for a Trip Meter for example.
    KZJohn likes this.
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Best of luck Scott :pynd

dieselcruiserhead and FORE! like this.