2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Goofy1 and dooby like this.
  2. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Cheer up Joan, could be worse you know ! :D
  3. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  4. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Kellon (Robby's navigator) just called me with some questions. I'm doing what I can from home to help the two Gordinis, and our moto guys too. I can only do it through the first three days or so, but hopefully that's enough to give them a little bit of the same edge the big money teams have had for years. I'll have to go quiet in some other threads for a while, for a good cause you know, leveling the playing field a bit. Go team underdog!
  5. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give them what you can. Underdog in every way but podium heart and soul.

Can't wait.
  6. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not publish the info in Myway's thread and help other privateers then? I am confused.

Go team underdog!
    cross-country likes this.
  7. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I already published the whole Prologue and my best guess of Day 2 for everyone to see. Plus I've been doing a lot for several years to show others here how to do the mapping so it's not all on my shoulders. I'm thrilled to see others contributing some great stuff! Now it's time for me to do something different for the next week or so, to help some good friends.
    Boondoggle and 640 Armageddon like this.
  8. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    This write up http://blog.francetvsport.fr/pistes-dakar/page/3 mentioned before in the thread or was it in the bivouac.
    must be combined with http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/route.html#tab5

On a open source place where everyone, can give there input, so that every day there is a briefingmail for bikes cars etc.

Can someone make that??

France tv

write up briefing Bing translated

GROSSE JOURNEE
    Stage 1:
    260 km. Car course
    It starts with the so-called «square» tracks Straight lines of several kilometres and changes of direction in right, left or right angle, it is according to.
    On a map, the trace of the beginning of this step resembles very precise geometrical figures that revolve around a series of corners at 45 degrees.
    This morning, no rain on the first 50 km. Mud, much: even in a straight line one felt cars chase a strand...
    Further, the track presents pretty curves. Farewell of GMO rape, here are the outskirts of sierra chica, which leads to Villa Carlos Paz.
    Before getting into these hills-mountains, we cross a few rios and as we move forward the runway is closer, more sinuous, more brittle.
    Maximum altitude today: 900metres. enough to take a great pleasure of piloting on paths of ridges, ascents and descents of small passes.
    Changes of direction are numerous, the set of tracks offered is of a very good level. As is now usual, bikes and cars will have a few pieces of differentiated course.
    It will be very very tormented by places for motorbikes.
    [​IMG] (ADV this picture with the writing)
    Total slightly less than 300km in eight hours for us. When our average is so low, it means that there are many notes and so the line can be sometimes... subtle.
    In the car that opens the small train of the recce Tiziano Siviero and Marc Coma had smile: "tracer" and the brand new race Director have prepared some nice pitfalls... I'll speak of this new hitch at the head of the recce.
    The first step is very typed WRC.

COMA, EN DOUCEUR
    first stage
    Then there is a tendency to believe when he says that the first special is balanced in length, steering and difficulties.
    "Sure, you're not going to expect to see incredible differences from the first day but you will see: the less well-prepared will suffer and for others it will be a pretty extensive warm-up
    Marc Coma told me that the first special is "just right".
    Jean-Pierre Fontenay, in other words the same thing: "to change three times the piloting software. Go fast, negotiate long curves and disentangle winding super parties. So nobody is going to win the Dakar the first day but there are already about what it takes to lose it"

Stage 2
    to enter the special number two. Tonight we are at km 180. We crossed known 'territories', tracks of incessant turns in the hills
    http://blog.francetvsport.fr/pistes-dakar/files/2015/10/DSCF1877-1024x768.jpg[/img
    and a good fortnight of Fords.
    http://blog.francetvsport.fr/pistes-dakar/files/2015/10/DSCF1907-1024x768.jpg (adv depends on the weather how much water there is.)
    Some parts have surprised us and including two straight lines - but yes!-, a rapid and dangerous car filled with invisible dangers far and one painful:
    old farm road abandoned where the Tallgrass mask worthy to be described as trench ruts.
    (for bikes and cars?)
    (ADV possible place these straights along, this is first part
    And since Coma, the sporting Director and Tiziano Siviero, have no intention of smoothing out this second straight shot of bulldozers to easier for competitors, the first part of the SS2 may not entertain everyone.
    ADV possible place these straights along, this is the second part,the ugly one
    or on the other side

PLUS DE 500 KM...

It meanders under the trees, runway does not have huge traps and we progress mode ride, slowing to greet in a gesture to the door, passing in front of each House.
    Competitors will be them, forced them to the same exercise: during the rally road book indicates that it is imperative to get off its speed when crossing the lower Hamlet and, by extension, of each village.
    Annotation DZ followed by speed to comply
    Past the hills, here we are on a semi-desert plateau. It accelerates frankly. The track is longer and wider and therefore more and more wheels. More settlements, more than villages. the track passes off the coast of inhabited areas.
    It will be therefore a hundred km almost thoroughly with, occasionally, long curves, or more brutally changes of direction at a right angle. Here the best will exceed 160 km/h in advanced.
    100 km of the special stage the longest of the rally (a little more than 500km), runway changes again and the decor also: we winding amid the greenery of more dense, cacti, acacias...
    It is even a bit of sand on the floor, although nothing nasty but it is different from the hard ground on which we were driving from the beginning.
    As often on the Dakar 2016, a part of the route of the bikes will be different than cars.
    This is to ensure so that head cars less often are possible in the dust of the last motorcycles and avoid risky and sometimes dangerous overtaking.
    So here we are in the hook that cars will have to be carried out in January. Tiziano Siviero (plotter of the Dakar 2016: "this part, it was spotted on Google Earth, but it has not had time to go check it.)

(ADV car some special routes privat old ones) stille 40 km competion stage to check)

QUELLE NUIT !

departure numb for the last 40 km of the special stage. Drenched, the track became more ochre. Cross huge mud puddles that competitors will find more during the rally. In January the temperature should exceed 30 degrees for sure.
    http://blog.francetvsport.fr/pistes-dakar/files/2015/10/DSCF1939-1024x768.jpg

Stage 3

A little farther to the North, starting from the special N ° 5. View of nose is right, it is flat.
    The first impression is good. The trace is straight... Long and the first 100 km of the track which leads us to Jujuy (yet far away) are part of a long but easy special of WRC type.
    Let us say, a little bored and a shoulder shrug along with a contrite smile, Coma conceded: "baby you know, this will be a transitional step.
    There is the possibility of adding 10km of fesh-fesh early step but it is taking the risk of putting a lot of competitors in big trouble, or even to leave on the way to the 4th day of the rally.
    "We will continue to move forward and we'll see later (including at the last moment) if we add the difficult portion or not. The idea is also to find some difficulty on the way...

COMA EST CONTENT

The project is to avoid the national taking a parallel to rio and passing under the road, by the rio.
    Right a field of wheat, left of cherry trees, at the end: a barely visible barrier, so it is covered with branches.
    And since we cannot cross the half, mi-artificielle, we will do the trick, take the rio upside down and reassemble the path to make sure it is "travelled". You follow me?
    Coma is delighted: this is a piece of special giving of challenging competitors that darken since the beginning of this day.
    There will be a small puzzle of navigation in rio and after it will finish on a fast track, but at least there will be a tiny bit of brittle" welcomes Coma.
    http://blog.francetvsport.fr/pistes-dakar/files/2015/10/20151003_112909-1024x576.jpg
    End of very curvy leg up and down a pass. Coma is happy: the WRC, it goes well 5 minutes and Sébastien Loeb can repack his rally car...
    Link up to Jujuy. On past bivouac which will host competitors two nights away. As to Uyuni, this will be a barracks. That of the 5th group mountain artillery.

ALTIPLANO
    Stage 4
    Deadly99 and 640 Armageddon like this.
  9. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The puzzle

this pic and above content, you can find the place
    from las cejas above tucuman north, push more and layers you see also a areal layer but you can not zoom in well there is also a outdoor layer with relief from mountains.[​IMG]

See the gps the attitude
    [​IMG]
    work with the contrast, can you read the longitude and latitude.
    you know what north south is
    [​IMG]

:-)
    Sparrowhawk likes this.
  10. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes, good call there wilkinsonk - I has spotted that welded section hiding behind the mudflap which prompted the question - although it appears they made no attempt to put a drain plug anywhere on the lower face to actually get the water out again?! I think this was mentioned when it was first seen on Cyril Despres' yamaha a couple of years back, that it is in effect 3 litres of ballast (or not even filled at all, ahem.)

I also imagine you're correct about a hybrid YZ/WR engine - makes sense at this level...

Looking forward to it!

Jenny x
  11. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Although the front of the Yamaha is weird in an ugly way, it looks very similar to what it was published before.

[​IMG]

There are some details that are different if you look at both bikes side by side, but the concept is the same.

I think iritrack is left on its own these days, at least for the factory efforts, teams (that info is confirmed) are treated differently sometimes.
    But look at that too.

[​IMG]

This is the red bike. I understand the physics, iritrack is left behind an oil cooler. Smart idea to fry a device that will be already hot inside its protective casing. Thumbs up to the Yamaha for separating the oil cooler from iritrack. Yamaha on the other hand, chose to raise the tower, since the iritrack is now underneath it. The iritrack there is a huge compromise in a crash. In the previous page, under the Yamaha logo (on the iritrack bracket) one can see the bolts for locating and securing the unit. This is where the microphone is. I wonder what ASO has to say for that Iritrack bracket, in the factory bike it's inside a box and the microphone is in the front of the bike, completely covered.
    Unless the HRC tower can open really fast, only the red button is quickly accessible by the rider. In KTM's tower everything was accessible even while riding. It's a pity the iritrack had to go out of that tower.

I start to wonder if the iritrack is now just a ''dead'' weight for the team, trying to just ''put'' it somewhere without thinking what an injured rider may have to do to access it.
    May be it's time for ASTRIUM to create a wired remote for controlling the unit, which you could place, much like the antennae, in a safe place on the cockpit.
    Deadly99 and mrwwwhite like this.
  12. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Hey Jenny,

May be it's under the same spot and not visible by the photos. In the side photos, the sliders prevent us from seen what's going on in the middle of the arm.
    Another thing to note is that the swing arm is not the same on the two sides. Not all are, but this is more pronounced I guess.
    As noted before these are two different bikes. You can see the bobbins for the rear stand missing in one of them.

[​IMG]
  13. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever tried putting the irritrack under the unik? Or would that be too big a stack on the bars?
  14. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Too big and heavy to be there.

[​IMG]
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    They always used to be sandwiched together (when the UNIK GPS was the same size footprint) - and typically mounted between the bars as per the photo above (I still have the same Touratech bracket in my stash). But since the advent of the smaller UNIK2 GPS unit, as Armageddon says - riders/designers took the opportunity to take some weight off the bars, and position the Iritrack elsewhere. For example on the KTM 690RRs, it used to be in a recess under the rear of the seat - although more than one bike finished a stage with the tail piece and the Iritrack left somewhere in the dust!

They really do need to redesign this unit - these days you could fit the guts of a Rally Comp and a Sat phone inside something the size of a smartphone peli-case, which would be a lot smaller and lighter than the current Iritrak and UNIK units.

Jx
  16. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, there are people still liking (Like), postings from januari 2015 :imaposer:imaposer oh, there was a question but no answer yet.
    jontow likes this.
  17. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    They are just reviewing :D
  18. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    The new mustached man ? ;-)
    too old likes this.
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Hogwild is flying south on day 4 with a suitcase full of Gordini parts :rofl
    K_N_Fodder and yardracer like this.
  20. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Nope, we have Amazon Prime 30 minute delivery by drone now.
    You know his sponsor Traxxas makes drones, right.
    If the part delivery doesn't fix it, there's one more trick up our sleeves...
    DroneGordini.png