2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Works for honda to?
  2. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Quick question. While trying to download the Dakar app for Android only 2015 is available although the Dakar site says there is a new one for 2016.
  3. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    In the past the new versions are available a couple days before start .
  4. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stage 3
    Green dot, on map. click on the green dot in the map.

And that from a photo and some text the green dot match the elevation 779 (hover over GE) on the gps in the car. And the direction angle. 61 degrees.
    This was the last part of the car truck stage in 2015, over Villa Padre Monti. Finish in the road by the tree.
    On the opposite site Choromoro was the finish off the bike stage in 2015. Now as it seems in opposite direction to San Pedro de Colalao. (press: According to the authorities)

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG 5.PNG
    [​IMG]
  5. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Being X-Mas day and all, Rally bikes can be good at other things too. Wishing you all a rockin' Dakar 2016!

[​IMG]
    Shivanshu, Mikemm, auguzt and 4 others like this.
  6. Muecke

Muecke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One question: Does anybody know how they fix the steering dampers on these bikes with the Xtrig triple clamp? I have never seen a detailed foto before.
  7. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would look similar to below. Not sure if they use a separate plate as shown below or if it bolts directly to the triple.

[​IMG]
  8. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
  9. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    He even self described as "Shoestring " :clap:rofl:clap
  10. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    In for the duration.

Pulling for a Toby win/podium and strong finishes for Ian & Manuel.
    DaveRMS likes this.
  11. CBVRacing

CBVRacing CBVRacing

Oddometer:
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    CBVRacing likes this.
  13. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
  15. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are competitors allowed to inReach?
  17. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    No, no other GPS [tracking or otherwise] devices are allowed. Only the Organisation's Iritrack and UNIK2 GPS.

Of course there could be any number of competitors enabling the 'find my friends' feature on their cell-phone (when it is in signal range of course), but technically the stewards can penalise you up to the point of expulsion if any other GPS devices are used.

If you were a competitor, it's probably best not to make it known you are transmitting your position to anyone, not least making it public.

Jx
  18. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :clap
    :y0!Yes, :nod definitely:stupid on this :wave +100% :clap:clap:clap

Good f5olk of the f5 DAKAR tribe, the time of year is nigh upon us where we turn our attention away from serious matters in the world; like Donald Trumps hairpiece and the curious notions it cloaks, the broken gifts that lie in the hallway beneath the browning branches of the tree, or the contemplation of yet another belt hole notch to the right... sacrificed to the gods of yuletide feasting.

Yes people, the time is fast approaching TO GET YOUR 2016 DAKAR ADVRider f5irehose GROOVE ON......!!!! :wings:happay

Okay... so a wise man once said; "nothing is forever". The cyber clan of virtual Dakar racers here on the ADVRider RACING forum has seen some amazing alien caliber contributors over the years. From our long serving (sadly now retired) mod's like Packmule (nate) Flood (Remi) and now Doyle (Chris); all who have after a number of years, have chosen to step back from the keyboard and give other things in their lives priority. This is 100% understandable... and everyone at the F5 applaud their contribution... :clap

In a lot of ways, these guys helped create and sustain what we know today to be "the f5irehose" of the DAKAR each year... and while their lack of cyber-presence will no doubt be noticeable on here... just as their "real world" Alien counterparts Coma and Despres have moved on from their roles in the Moto peleton... NOW is the time for some new luminaries to step up and mantle the role of some of the "heavy lifting"... just as Wilkinsonk states above! :thumb

In the past we have a number of great, insightful contributors who put stuff up here... Mod neduro (when not competing) chimes in with pearls of wisdom that belong on marble tablets with regular frequency. JMo, Deadly99, too old, garfey, CarlosM wilkinsonk, wrk2surf, balkanboy and about twenty more - all too numerous for,me to remember off the top of my skull (to anyone I missed - my sincere appologies, but this is meant to push h,me my point)... and that is; you do not have to be a moderator, or a literary scholar to make a contribution... relevant insight, genuine interest and enthusiasm to share learn and discuss this great event is all that is needed.

Couple this to the knowledge and colour that guys like HogWild and myway etc., bring to the DAKAR buffet with their mapping skills and tv scheduling hotlinks... the ADV f5 is the place to be at DAKAR time... but each individual contribution... pulling in stuff from all over the net - not just sitting back and waiting to be cyber fed it by a nucleus of contributors - is what makes it great to be a part of.

Last year, between Bluebull and myself, we took care of the f5irehose and the cliffnotes as best we could. If nothing else it rammed home the hurculean efforts that Packmule, Flood and Doyle had performed in recent years. For my part it underlined the notion that wilkinsonk alluded to earlier... "less is more".

We've seen a decline in the number of waypoint/irritrack hunting; "who's on first, where is CP1, I dunno through WP7 and mudboy is in the ASS" +1 type posts the last couple of years, due largely to changes in the visual map/irritracking, vast improvements in the "Dakar tracker.nl" tool - hearty thanks to Mischa :super - but most noticeable of all... a big lift in the knowledge, and content of the posts put up by the bulk of f5 inmates.

Where once "questions" were left for the "mods" or luminaries to answer/reply, more inmates from the ranks of the f5 were stepping forward with comments and insight... that they had gleaned from the f5irehose or found elswhere. That's what it is all about... we should never discourage the participation of new comers, or become a clique of the "old guard"... the retirement of our aliens is part of that evolution and the f5irehose WILL rise to the occassion. :clap

For my part, I will work in the backroom the next day or so to lay the foundations (as per Doyles instruction) of the 2016 OFFICIAL DAKAR COVERAGE f5irehose thread. It will be a sticky at the top of the RACING FORUM PAGE - as tradition dictates.

So too will the 2016 DAKAR cliffnotes thread be stickied at the top of the board - you will see both of these (closed) appear in due course. Cliffnotes for this year will be a minimalist version, comprised for the mostpart of links to the start post/route summary of each day in the f5irehose thread, and only the most relevant (key posts) during the leg in question. But don't expect this to be a "real time" cliff notes - it will be anywhere from 6 to 12 hour "review" of what was laid down on the main thread... and very spartan even so.

The f5irehose will go on line at precisely the start of the first selective stage of the rally on January 3rd.

Untill then, this :deal pre-event speculation thread, will morph into the arrival, scrutineering and podium ceremony/PROLOGUE thread for the duration of the pre-competition aspect of the rally.

Here is where the snowball starts (as deadly would say :nod) If everyone of the f5 steps up and gives it a nudge to share the burden, we should be able to keep it rolling... together.

May the f5orce be with you. :super
    kaia, too old, Evil Invader and 8 others like this.
  19. Aus Tiger

Aus Tiger Toolman

Oddometer:
    I recognise the realities for the changing of the guard...and wish all future contributors confidence and clarity with their posts. Over the past four years I have thoroughly enjoyed the depth of analysis, the mindful banter and the crazy level of commitment/passion those three who have moved on. They have displayed astonishing knowledge and a humble and generous manner when sharing it. Thank you. I am also confident others will step up albeit tentatively.
    In anticipation of another wonderful and inspirational Dakar, let's all embrace this brave new world and delight in what is to come.
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Info from various Facebook pages and some of my thoughts and what not....

Scott Spears is about to head south to turn wrenches on team Nomade Racing. ADV's Corky is on this team along with Ollivier Pain.

The two racers on team Rally Pan Am got on their plane to head south but the plane turned around and headed back to Colorado due to bad weather. Bicycle Phil and DaveRMS had their plane delayed and missed their connection. Dakar has already started for this team.

ASO is getting all artsy fartsy with their pre event videos. Hope they cut that shit out.

Patronelli brothers are back in the race on quads, should give reigning champ "Sonic" a run for his money.

The boat has been unloaded in Argentina, teams will be picking up their vehicles and beginning mad prep on them.

HRC has been oddly quiet compared to years past. I take this as a good thing...maturity?

An 18 year old from the USA is about to spend a bunch of time being mistaken for Rubby and is about to have the experience of a lifetime, stoked for him. Hope he manages to finish, unlikely but would be cool and maybe the start of something big for North America at the Dakar.

Bikes....awesome race about to start. Podium is up for grabs. ASO marketing "#1 plate available". First time in many years there isnt a predictable first place. Young versus old, red versus orange....stoked.

Cars...awesome that the podium is anyones at this point. Mini versus mini might be over. Toyotas are looking good, the dream team is such a wild card full of potential....who knows how it will shake out.

I dare say, this Dakar should be more exciting than any in recent years past. Not only is the podium up for grabs its uncertain which manufactor will be providing the vehicle. VW then mini....years of orange....I predict some new manufactors winning this year. Peugeot and HRC :nod

Good luck to all the inmates participating. Don't eat the chicken flavored spam ham, use the womens outhouses, etc....

:pynd
    dieselcruiserhead likes this.