2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone and Merry Christmas. My own snowball started 11 months ago when my daughter conveniently chose to be born (after the last stage of last year's Dakar :D). This means I'll strugle just to flurk/ollow the race this year, let alone contribute with something relevant :dunno

So, thanks in advance to everyone who'll make this the best place to follow the race :clap

ps: though not able to contribute, still think Doyle should have created the mega thread... Trrrradition (Fiddler in the Roof accent) and all that!
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Hi Carlos :wave

A pity that you won't be as active as the past... there's fewer of us "old school African's" every year.
    Please drop by with some sage words from day to day if you can spare them.

As far as the title page of the mega thread goes...

Well Chris passed the ball up over a week ago (see above)... and to date no one had picked it up an ran with it... :brow

So (knowing it is not a half hour excercise) I laid the foundations for a DIY job. :0-0

So if it's any consolation, take solace in knowing that 90% of the architecture is doyle's handiwork in any case, which I will do a quick home makeover and paste up in 2016 guise over the next few days before New Years. :beer
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :cromagIn the meantime, if there are any old hands, or new guns who would like to mantle a role with a bit more "heavy lifting" involved, please PM me... because the "moderator count" for housekeeping duties is down to neduro and myself at the moment.

I am assuming that Myway will be doing his "thang" as far as the TV coverage/stream links etc goes, as in past years. And his daily profiles/maps of the Selective Stages prior to each leg, are now the standard by which all others are judged.

I don't know how Bluebull is travelling this year in anticipation of DAKAR... he pulled F5 duty on the Wilddogs SA site for the Amageza rally earlier this year... So he might be "over it".

I hope that deadly, too old and the rest of the "colour commentary team", will be supported by the cast of thousands and make the selective stage play by play tick along, garfey has done the graveyard shift/caretaker role admirably in recent editions and of course Piglets ventrilliqust doll JMo Jenny chimes in with her cameo pieces and daily wrap ups, which are awesome.

I will try to find a link for Mischa's site, and dig out the old South American standard time clock (with GMT reference) from the attic...

bear with us folks... F5 DAKAR 2016... it's "under construction" :cromag
    Clancy likes this.
  4. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  5. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    In advance... thank you everybody for posting interesting stuff and keeping the novices and lurkers like myself just a tiny bit in the loop :rilla

The f5orce...:pynd

Is this the link of the said site of Mischa's... http://www.trackingdakar.nl/ ?

Cheers, D.
    davorallyfan and Clancy like this.
  6. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    Sorry to say too, that after a hell of a year I will not be as active as I'd like to. I will try to comment and report what info on have from people on the ground, but not as active as last year...

Keep It coming and keep it clean. :deal
  7. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely can't wait gentlemen. It sounds like Scott and Ian have had an interesting last 24 hours... it's a long drive from DIA to Sud America.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  8. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. They were rerouted to LAX. Then who knows. Phil and I stuck in DFW. Baggage already lost. It's gonna be awesome!!! Hahahaha

Dave
    Deadly99 likes this.
  9. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't mind flagging an occasional post for the Cliff Notes thread, if that's of any help.
    I'm a bit limited with computing and internet upload power, but I'll follow as usual.
  10. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy crap... and so it goes! Beautiful weather around Denver today, hopefully flights start to sort themselves out.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  11. Mudface

Mudface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how is the weather in argentina at the moment?
    I 've heard something about flooding?
  12. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn - I live couple hours east of DFW - pretty sketchy weather I hope you dont get stuck there too long Dave
  13. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
  14. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Well said Troy. To all the F5 Elites doing the heavy lifting , I applaud your tireless efforts and all the postings from everyone in the F5irehose!
    It will be a very interesting Dakar this year for sure and I eagerly await it. Sadly I too am mostly relegated to lurking this year, having moved to a more rural location with paltry slow DSL, no more FIOS - so my Euro feeds may be a thing of the past. Life commitments are conspiring to pull me away from the F5orce, but I will try to seek the F5irehose light when I can.

On the home front GO SCOTT, IAN, RICKY, ALEXANDER, CARROLL and of course Euro "Shoestring" MANNNY and in the cars SHELDON/JONAH, and, well but OK, RUBBY/KELLON!!!
  15. auguzt

auguzt get on with it

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if Radio Maray will keep following the race this year?
    I tried to look at their site but I did not find anything... :dunno
  16. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    nry likes this.
  18. Surf & Moto

Surf & Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No Dakar in Chile = No Radio Maray
    So no "zoooonnnnaaa de meta" this year
    dooby likes this.
  19. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Loeb is going to be one to watch.
    An Amazing athlete.
    dooby and Deadly99 like this.
  20. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may be absent at the DSS/Fire in The Hole - not because I have a non runner, but a new work assignment will be impacting the start time and first hour or so.

As for the non runner - I'd be lying if I said it has dampened the interest a little, although this aside I believe this is the most anticipated event for the last few years with it being somewhat wide open - Old Guard or Young Guns and the blue KTM from left field - can't wait!!

My current thoughts (for what they are worth) - Speedy to win and Quintanilla to podium - after that pick any one from Toby, Matthias and maybe even JBB if he can keep his head!

Laia in the top 10.

So many good riders, but look at the results through the year and outside the top 5 there is always a large time gap by the end of the week, plus the % who don't make the ASS on a particular day for mechanicals or physicals - so the eternal conundrum, fight for front, or happy to stay in contention and see what transpires.

I suspect that bike attrition may be key also, and that's what could cost Helder - hopefully HRC have their engineering sh**t together, but 2015 hasn't been a great year as far as mechanical reliability has been concerned!

Go Manny :clap:clap:clap
    640 Armageddon likes this.