2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    As the Illuminati on the thread have informed us this could be the year !

Max
    Deadly99 likes this.
  2. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    looking for different photos it seams that the 48 had a different can and looks like a "power bomb" leading in to it
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  3. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
  4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's not forget a tip to Baldy that makes this F5irehose possible.
  5. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Between the Orange/blue factory KTMs and White/yellow factory Huskys, I'd say KTM was well represented this year against the HRC force. I heard that those KTM factory 450's are pushing 80+ ponies, amazing they can hold up so long.

Anybody know what the HRC 450's are putting out power-wise?
    Rato Molhado and Mikemm like this.
  6. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    [​IMG]

Speaking of Annie Seel , she has a fund raising site if you want to buy a kilometer you get a signed photo

Buy a kilometer of Annie's Dakar 2016
    Let's get Annie & Team to Dakar 2016!
    And sponsor them kilometer by kilometer.

After the Dakar 2016 Annie will send an autographed race photo to you, or the person you choose as recipient.

Fill out the form, pay and cheer them on to Dakar2016! It's a long way...

http://morrismotorcycles.wufoo.eu/forms/buy-a-kilometer-of-annies-dakar-2016/
    Evil Invader likes this.
  7. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    I have her down for a dark horse podium. She runs a smart, drama free rallye and seems to carry a good deal of pace as well.
  8. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I just put something up on my face book, various YouTube clips of The Dakar over years
    here are the same links.
    Why - because I can (some clips are short - others are longer)

CBVRacing likes this.
  9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got one of Rubby sayin' "If only ..."? A classic Dakar phrase.
  10. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Those of us who use SmugMug for our photos helps to pay for ADVrider too.
  11. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another disaster....
    Talked to the team today in the morning.
    All interiors from the roadbooks of the Suzuki team were stolen during their transportation. Bloody people...
    No other customers in Argentina means that all factory bikes have to switch roadbooks. At this time this is a major setback for them.... :(
    Lesson learned though.
  12. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    The Team F5ool checks in: :deal

Hello everyone... :wave

I hope the holiday season is treating you all well... and we are all looking forward to the countdown to 2016-:happay

In BA we can see now that most teams/participants have arrived, unloaded and all is in preparation for the administrative and technical checks starting today.

Likewise in the cyber world of f5 DAKAR, we have a dedicated group of individuals who are busy getting their ducks in a row, in readiness for the start of the rally proper on January 3rd. In the meantime the "cliffnotes" thread has been primed and stickied - with the first 30 posts from the Buenos Aires arrival and speculation posted up - to get the ball rolling. In the meantime our "pre-DAKAR off5icial thread" is ticking over with all the latest, for those that want to brush up on their f5irehose skills.

A big thanks to some of our f5 awesome alien inmates; myway (for his awesome schudule and f5 resource thead - stickied at top of the RACING board with the other DAKAR essentials), to Hogwild for his awesome cyber maping skills and information... it's almost like being there when you have such detailed terrain and route analysis - kudos :bow.

Thank's to Kaia; who as usual jumps in as a Dakar mod, to help with the photo f5irehose and this year kindly agreed to help pull duty on the "cliffnote" updates from the main f5irehose coverage thread.

A big shout out to Mischa for his tireless work on the timing/tracker data base... we've said it before, I will say it again... one of THE absolute essential resources for the F5 fans. :bow

Please support misc's great contribution to the cause when you can, and as soon as he has the server up and running the links will be put up on the f5irehose into page and on the ADV f5 resources index thread. :rayof

Nice to see that everyone is bedding in for the rally now... so without further ado... here is; :deal

TSC's pre-emptive F5 DAKAR 2016 speculation post:

(a bit shorter than most years, but between x-mas/new year and the pre-F5 frenzy - It is, what it is :D)

AUTO: The photo of the factory PEUGEOT team cars in the pre-rally workbay, is impressive. What a difference 12 months makes. This year with a totally re-developed AND tested vehicle that IS up to the task. (They ditched the turd that they hastily dreamed up last year) and now have a car that is capable of running at the front, without posing a handling nightmare to the poor beggar behind the wheel. I guess (as always) longterm reliability is still somewhat of a questionmark on a vehicle with only one competition event on the platform... but the test program in Marocco was as comprehensive as any factory team ever, so team PUG is 400% in front of where they were this time a year ago.

Four top class drivers in these new weapons... Two and a half of them with extensive DAKAR credential... the other one and a half have resumes that are unequalled in their respective fields (Despres most DAKAR moto titles ever Loeb - most WRC world titles ever)... truly Peugeot earns the title of "the Ream Team".

Biggest question for mine, is how Loeb will do...

If only Peugeot had paired him with an experience DAKAR navigator (even the greatest drivers need a skilled "off piste navigator to win at DAKAR), then I believe Loeb is the best chance ever that a "rookie" could win at DAKAR in the modern day auto category.
    But with Daniel Elena (his WRC pace note recital partner) I don't think that with only two cross country rallies under his belt, will provide the "off piste" decision making the pair need to win... not against the MINI armada, and with their own Peugeot team mates Peterhansel/Cottret being so experience.
    Al Attiyah and the X-Raid team have the results and expeience on the board... Peterhansel in the PUG, with Despres as waterboy, while Sainz can act as the hare to force the pace up front... will be the big question if they can turn the tables on thr MINI armada.
    I think the Toyota team will float in the wings with two, maybe three cars regularly in the top dozen spots each stage.
    Moto's: The HRC effort looks as formidable as ever - for this - the HONDA marques fourth year back at the DAKAR since their hiatus. Noticeably, a little less pre-DAKAR "media hype" than in past (all the PR people have been flat out marketing the newly released Africa Twin :lol3)... hopefully the energy has gone into the rally effort.

Over at KTM, it seems to be the same old methodical, well oiled war machine. Dissappointing that the only chink in the armour - Sam Sunderlands injury and subsequent withdrawal after the accident at merzouga rally - means that the red bull factory squad loses one of it's stars... I was looking forward to see Sam, Toby, Jordi and Mathias working together.

I would like to see Viladom's/Price/Waulkner work together in week one (off piste navigation, position themselves in the overall top ten early on days 1 thru 4) and put one of them in a position after the rest day to control the pace and pressure to take the win (I think ideally Toby has the outright speed to do so, Jordi posses the experience and skills to make it happen).
    Over at HRC I think that Speedy Goncalves has the best chance to pick up a podium spot for HRC... whether Barreda has tempered his fastest man to the point of incident/impact approach - remains to be seen. But despite the size of the red teams gold bag... they really on have these two "drivers"... the other red bikes are definately just a supporting role.

In contrast the Mattighofen mob have a whole other set of clubs, to whack the opposition with... and as Barrier pointed out, with riders like Ruben and Quint, they will make the presence felt in the top dozen... Pela is their to learn... but easily has the riding skills of a top 15 racer as well.

Roll on New Year... f5 DAKAR is in full effect! :clap:clap:clap
  13. mrwwwhite

mrwwwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F$^#&$% hell... you mean this part???

[​IMG]

This cannot be... it's insane...
  14. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Yeap. Four bikes without that part....
    Looking for options to fly in gear with a person there. If you;d ask me it would be cheaper and safer for the team to do that than change at this point with such a pressure all the gear on the bikes. Never mind the switch work that one has to do...
  15. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did this happen?
    In La Harve? On the boat?
    Then it must be a sabotageā€¦ Who would want a customized piece of equipment?
    Rato Molhado and 640 Armageddon like this.
  16. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    That is a disaster, so sorry to hear that. Ridiculous that someone would steal something that is useless to them.
  17. mrwwwhite

mrwwwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah! that's the right thing to do! To switch now from the Aurora RB would be suicidal! 4 cartridges would reach Argentina in 24h so still time!
    Rato Molhado and 640 Armageddon like this.
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    D, that sucks
  19. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    The information is that the bikes were missing the gear when the team picked up the bikes. Now if it happened in Argentina or in the boat that is a question and ASO is not very helpfull in this unless your colors are Orange or Red.
    It's really weird, it has happened in the past with other pieces of equipment which the locals think they can sell.
    Right now this is a nightmare for a mechanic.... :baldy
  20. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Not a good end for a year's work Ted indeed. Will report if there are any more news, but will have to be in contact with the team for the switch or the fly in if this happens. If it does it has to happen today before 16.oo . The flight window will be missed then. We have spare gear in numerous places, not enough in the US though than can reach the team within the time limit.
    Then again let's stay positive for Eco Race.
    nry, Deadly99 and mrwwwhite like this.