2016 Pre-DAKAR: arrival, START podium ceremony/PROLOGUE and LEG 0 liason thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Nov 4, 2015.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    From DAKAR.com

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/stage-100/live-feed.html

Here we go! The 350 competitors have been impatiently waiting for the start of the 38th edition of the Dakar contested in Argentina and Bolivia. Whilst the day merely seems to be an appetiser, this prologue will prove to be quite “copious” with no less than 346 kilometres to be covered, including 11 kilometres of special stage.
    In an exercise where there is often more to be lost than won, how will the “newcomers” in the car category, in particular Sébastien Loeb or Mikko Hirvonen, fare on their debuts? Will they stamp their mark on the race from the start or at least take advantage of a relatively favourable and short 11-kilometre configuration to win their first special stage? Will the old hands let them fall into the trap of the prologue? It will certainly be an interesting stage to watch, all the more so since the standings at the end of the prologue will determine the starting order the following day... The situation is similar in the bike category, where the absence of last year's winner, Marc Coma, should allow the leading lights of the category to inflict an initial psychological blow.
    In short, over these 11 kilometres against the clock, the competitors must avoid confusing speed with haste.
    So, will there be a surprise or not? By this evening, we will have found out!
  2. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loeb and Hirvonen are old hands. I don't see them chasing the Prologue win. I don't think they want to start first on the road, either.
    But RG and the Kid may be a good candidates for a bit of bravado. Boss takes the poll position and the Kid is right behind him.
    Surf & Moto likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    In the MOTO's category, there are riders in the field as far down as the top 50 who have the riding skills to put in a top five time on the 11 km stage - comprized mostly of fast (sometimes narrow) rural gravel roads with regular 45 degree and 90 degree bends...

Will Barreda and Price go out hard for their HRC and KTM squads respectively... or conservative like the old stagers Faria, Viladoms, Gonk etc.?

Quint and Waulkner are capable of ballistic speeds... as is newcomer Brabec for HRC with his Baja racing experience... but maybe a tactical boo-boo for the newly contracted Honda watercarrier to end up in front of his HRC team mates for SS1 on Sunday...?

For the AUTO's (as stated on dakar.com) the prologue roads and short intense nature of the 11 km stage will be bread and butter for those drivers with WRC credentials... like Loeb, Hirvonen, Sainz and Nasser...

Just watch the PR ponytails go bezerk if Sebbe puts in the quickest time for the prologue... :evil First DAKAR, first stage, first stage win... :wink: could happen.

Young SPEED Creed over in the RG team would be quick if let off the leash... only problem is... back where he is in the start cue... at only one minute start intervals... he is likely to be in the rear bumper of the car ahead - after only 5 or 6 km's or so... which might slow the forwrd momentum a bit. The boss - Robby - should be spectacular as always. :clap
  4. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loeb made an atypical mistake last year at WRC Monte Carlo, and it may cross his mind now.
    He blasted the first special taking over a minute from the other Seb. They didn't have the delta splits in the car for the first time, so he just pushed it hard. Media were ecstatic. He tried it again on a mixed surface and ripped the wheel from the car. End of rally.
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Hi Balkan :wave

we were wondering out loud at the same time...

As far as Sheldon's chances of a great time go... see my comment below

Hirvonen and Sebbe are experts at "pacing" themselves in WRC - so as not to end up sweeping the road clear as car pos #1 on the road for SS1... whether they can get the balance right amongst the field of DAKAR regulars is the question?
  6. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Does the peugeot team have a facebook page?

thanks
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  7. Quietus

Quietus Mariner

Oddometer:
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  10. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    A bit of working out on my fingers and toes and it looks like I'll be up at 04.00hrs to hopefully see the prologue at 04.30hrs

Time to lock and load and strap yourselves in etc etc because here we go !!

:D
  11. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Well well well.... DSS times appearing on http://trackingdakar.nl/live.php

Didn't check yet if everything is correct, but it's a start... have fun everybody! Let's :rofl
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    You da man Micha :pynd
  13. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Team Cahn in! Thankyou for organizing this yet again. First year in, so expecting to get my arse kicked by the more experienced team owners, but it should be a lot of fun. Good luck all.
    Rato Molhado likes this.
  14. Screamingeagle3

Screamingeagle3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the galactic concil has made a mesure to help peoples without computer(ie. me) to follow the f5ire hose by restricting the number of words in the post on three(because try to restrict the number of post is less than inposible):deal

only smartphone for me this year:pep
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    current local ARG time: http://24timezones.com/world_directory/current_buenos_aires_time.php

Hi Mischa :wave

The ASO/Dakar.com timing matrix has gone live... I see that they have come up on your dakartracker also.

It appears that (in accordance with the reverse start order for the MOTO's from the ceremonial START PODIUM in Buenos Aires) that the MOTO field will be sent of on PROLOGUE in reverse order.

Rider #153 Nogales is slated to take the DSS start for Prologue at 14:57 local ARG time - (which is 12 minutes later than set out in the ASO schedule posted previously... but no matter).

Riders sent off at 30 second intervals... the top 25 to 16 ranked riders get a 1 minute start gap, and the top 15 start with two minute intervals.

so the f5ire in the hole DSS start bomb for the MOTO PROLOGUE is 14:57 ARG local time.
    Goofy1, Linhares and Deadly99 like this.
  16. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carlos M, DruncleWill and Deadly99 like this.
  17. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    How healthy is Barreda? Has he raced with injuries before and how might it affect his strategy?

Within a factory team, is there an official language spoken? I know its a random question but I got to thinking how multilingual Price or Brabec might be around the bivouac and if it matters. I assume that the HRC engine swaps by the riders in the field 2015 went smoothly because they all spoke the same language.

Sip.
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Mudboys Facebook has a slew of new photos from scrutineering. Those Pugs are sex on wheels. Still seems odd that Castera is racing and Coma is an official. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Marc and David get together.
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Hope Casteu has a good race, he cant have too many races left in him. It would be great to see him get a good result. He is beyond likeable, he seems to represent all the good stuff about Rally Raid.

Botturi, another likeable fellow who I'd enjoy seeing on the podium. Nice that he isnt small in stature :)

Helder...the essential underdog.

Those three guys are my "I want to see podium" racers. Doable? Yep :nod
  20. XSpearsX

XSpearsX Proud Dakar Wife

Oddometer:
    One reason I am a die-hard Dakar fan? Because our DAKAR family ROCKS!!!!
    As my husband walks through bivvy, scrutiny and hotel.....he is approached over and over by riders and support crews asking about our son!
    WOW! The international love for us little 'ole Kansas family!
    That includes all my F5 friends as well. Your continued support humbles me!
    Shows me both my husband and I are in the right places with the right people!!
    Thank you all so much! I was going to post an update on the thread you guys had going about him (yesterday wasn't one of his better days), but couldn't find it.

Ok...done with my female hormones ......let's get to the good stuff......Ready to break my F5 key hanging out with and watching some of the best group of people in the World!!