1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Ragbrai - bikes, beer and PIE!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by k7, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really need to block out time and do this again.. I do miss all the "experiences".
  2. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    So yeah. I figured I had maybe one shot to try and catch you guys and that was on day 3 for us. We camped maybe 8 miles outside of Corning at an awesome state park on Sunday night. We got rolling early the next morning (the NOScow Mule pitcher also doubles as a coffee percolator) and stopped at a Casey's. I picked up some sidewalk chalk with the intention of hitting the route early enough to leave a colorful FYYFF for youse guys, but then well... bagger life happened. A crew we were riding with that was supposed to make it to Shannendoah that night spontaneously showed up. Busch Lights were consumed, shenanigans ensued, and well.... not making it to Corning before anybody else....

Nonetheless, we hit Corning before peak RAGBRAI hours and we parked the extracycles at the welcome sign into town. There happened to be a completely empty diner right there so we went in for breakfast and I diligently watched for my imaginary internet motorcycle friends. (I sort of knew what Paul's bike looked like and that's all I had to go on.)

During breakfast, we noticed there was an adjoining bar. We politely ordered some traditional breakfast cocktails. (CAN I HAVE A DOUBLE TALL TEQUILA SUNRISE PLEASE?).

Things quickly went downhill.

[​IMG]

We decided that gin and tonics were rather refreshing after a hearty breakfast and consumed several. First, they ran out of tonic which was quickly remedied for us and again soon after. The deal breaker came when they ran out of gin four hours later. We tried several other different cocktails, but the magic was gone and we stumbled out into the street to discover that we had once again found our comfortable place in the universe- way the hell off the ass end of RAGBRAI.

(The nice lady who gave me the tattoo pictured above assures me that it is temporary, but it kind of hurt applying it and it's still not gone yet. How long do these last?)
  3. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It gave me the willies.

James, it may be a few years before I do ragbrai again, but I can definitely see myself on some other multi-day tour. I've heard some grumblings about rolling music fests and the like that are intriguing.
  4. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    seeing people asking about multi day tours I have to do my job and ask of anyone saw any of the Sea to Sea group..... and a reminder that we have a cross canada ride next year that you can do full 10 week ride, all the way down to 1 week options..... www.seatosea.org for more info.....
  5. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    The entire ride was essentially a sensory overload. There were so many things I heard or saw during the ride that I wanted to share, but many have slipped my mind. I just thought of this encounter. One day on a particularly long hill, a bicyclist pulled over, got a trumpet out of his pack and started playing The Final Countdown for the riders struggling uphill. The randomness of that made me laugh my ass off.
    YakSpout, chippertheripper and Ridge like this.
  6. Ridge

Oddometer:
    You definitely see some odd stuff on those Iowa roads.

This was the strangest, to date, wheeled vehicle I've seen on RAGBRAI (2009)
    [​IMG]

This one... not so strange but equally mesmerizing.

[​IMG]
    YakSpout and chippertheripper like this.
  7. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    I did ask a couple dudes in c2c jerseys if any of them was the boogie man. Nope, not you.
  8. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    That sail rig looks perfect for dealing with a cross-wind. :lol3
    Ridge likes this.
  9. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

I think the best hill climb encouragement I received was when a team bus passed me, I heard a bunch of cheering, and I looked up to see several pairs of female breasts pointed out the open windows.

Sorry, no pictures. :(
    Ridge, Mr Head and chippertheripper like this.
  10. k7

k7 Almost retired..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Yep - several times.
  11. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    I have a MASSIVE ragbrai hangover.
    Functioning in society is beyond difficult, nearly impossible. More so, even, than being released from active duty on the Marines. Is there a support group for this?
    I'm fucked up. Seriously.
  12. Ridge

Oddometer:
    @chippertheripper Consider that you're now the normal one and everyone else has the issues... RAGBRAI was the colon blow for your soul, now you're back to junk food.
    chippertheripper likes this.
  13. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wear spandex and ass cream under your suit and do a few shots for breakfast every morning. Slowly ween yourself off
    YakSpout, chippertheripper and Ridge like this.
  14. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    The irony here is that since I really didn't eat much last week, my stomach shrank up nicely. So the freetown50 diet has begun, which adds (subtracts) from my mental state.
    All I want to do is be surrounded by amazing people and pedal my balls off to the craft beer trailer.
    YakSpout and Ridge like this.
  15. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    The withdrawal symptoms suck, but if I continued to do what I did on RAGBRAI, I'd be dead or in jail within a few months.
  16. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:

That reminds me of a few more stories. After about the 3rd day Cheryl said she had me figured out. She said she could predict that as I started to pass a fit young female I'd drift over and strike up a conversation. I met some neat people that way. Laura who now lives in Michigan had done door to door book sales in the tiny fishing villages I serve in coastal Louisiana. It takes balls to walk past a front yard full of pit bulls to knock on the door of a trailer perched 12 feet in the air on cinder blocks trying to sell books.

I typically rode in the middle of the oncoming lane since I was passing most riders. It also left room for speed demons to pass on my left. I was about 20 yards ahead of Cheryl climbing a hill when I saw a fit young female ahead over toward the right side of the right lane. Just as I had almost finished closing the gap to chat with her, Cheryl blasted in between us and match speed. I waved her back, but she refused. We passed the rider and when we got out of ear shot I said "nice cock block." An older male rider who had watched the whole thing unfold burst out laughing.

A day earlier I was passing a gorgeous young lady. I was planning on passing her and continuing on. As I most often did when I passed someone, I greeted them with a "good morning" and a smile. I did that. This girl, Jennifer a cracker salesperson from the CO front range, looked at me, smiled brightly and said "look at that big beautiful smile." Well shit, I just had to talk to her. After chatting with her for about 10 minutes, I bid her farewell and eased off ahead. When I got about 20 feet ahead, I hear Cheryl say "never mind him, he's just an old pervert" as she came alongside Jennifer. Jennifer had friends and family with her on the ride. We ended up spending about 30 minutes chatting with them.

One other note of interest. It was amazing how quickly some of the women told me about their husbands or boyfriends very early in the conversation. I guess with RAGBRAI's reputation for hook-ups, that's a good way to say they aren't interested when guys chat with them.
    chippertheripper likes this.
  17. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    My ass is still raw. If I ever do another multi day ride I am going to try some different Chamois cream.
  18. Ridge

Oddometer:
    My go-to for the last few years has been Enzo's :thumb
  19. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    I use body glide first, then a healthy smear of the purple jar stuff on the shorts and was good for the week.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a very individual thing, and you need to come up with your own recipe.
    Thankfully the PI bibs I've been using don't give me scissor dick anymore, like the older versions and various other shorts I've used.

I think I'm pretty well rested now. I'm gonna try a real road ride tomorrow and see if my knee will tolerate it or not.
  20. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

We have two competing cults in our group that actually overlap a fair amount.

The Brooks saddle folks. I fall into this category. I probably spent more time with my ass in the saddle than most of you getting that big dummy down the road and didn't have a single issue.

The Gold Bond folks. I'm not sure if this actually does anything. I think they just like to do the ritual application every morning to freak out the normals.