1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Ragbrai - bikes, beer and PIE!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by k7, Sep 9, 2015.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Stolen from an FB page that Askel added me to:

Capture.JPG
    Mr Head and chippertheripper like this.
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel like I'm hiding from all the food here at work. Like it's all out to get me.
  3. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    The NOS cow Mules probably didn't help either.

I've got a Selle Anatomica X Series https://selleanatomica.com/products/x-series And I love it.

The longer rails work better for me than the Brooks. the cut out is good. plus it's made in the USA.

On another note Askel Do you do regular touring on the BD? I've been thinking a long bike might be nice for an extended tour.
  4. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I did my first non-RAGBRAI tour with it this year. It works well if you have no expectation of speed. You just can't make that bike go fast. Touring with my special lady friend, this isn't an issue. But if I were to ride with my regular touring buddies, I'd want something faster.

The nice thing is packing is a breeze. Just pile all the crap you want to take on the couch an hour before you leave, and then just start stuffing it in the bags. It'll all fit, no worries. :D
  5. TheYeti

Oddometer:
    like how fast? 6-8mph or 9-11 mph.I don't avg more than 11-13 mph on the LHT, and 13 is really killing it. I was thinking it would work well on a multi-month tour,to have some "nice to have" things of the comfort variety. Yea and packing would be a breeze.
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    With my vacation I managed to get sore in places I'd never gotten sore. That seat area for sure. I think there are three components to that issue.
    First I have a saddle with more than 10K miles in it. Soft-ish relatively bad stock saddle. I've always preferred a firmer saddle to soft on all things. My RAGBRAI wasn't a problem with the saddle, but that was more than 5,000 miles ago. Closer to 7K. That saddle is hammered.
    Second are the new shorts. Voler changed the whole design of the signature bibs I normally buy. from the legs to the bib to the chamois all different. I may have to move up their scale.
    And lastly I was riding longer miles in hotter weather than normal and that meant I was soaked. Everywhere soaked. I figure I'll deal with the saddle first. Then if I still have an issue shorts. The weather I'll ignore.

The demographic I ran across were all decidedly older rather than younger than me. I basically talked to everybody and since I quickly rolled myself into vacation mode on a bicycle I was willing to roll along and talk the whole way. Lots of long conversations about everything with everybody. The kid on a fixie that did not know that fixies were used on bicycle tracks. In fact didn't know what a bicycle track was. And the older kid on a fixie who was a track racer. I was able to introduce those two. Same day between rest stops. I'd meet somebody and ask where they were from ,then be asked if I was from Iowa which would lead to introducing my brother.
    I still enjoying hearing the stories and recounting experiences from other RAGBRAI riders I run across here.

One of the things I especially enjoyed was not having a schedule outside of up early-ish and on the road. Man, I really enjoyed riding along as the sun began peeking over the hills. The air at that time of day is just so nice.
    I will have to do it again. But, I'll wait for my retirement. Then I'll have time to do it like I want to.

A fellow who rides with us WEBBR dopes here did the Seattle to Portland ride this year with his nephew. he sent us a nice long single-spaced write up. And a few photos. Wonder Woman was even in one with him. 205 miles in two days and he had a big smile in each and every photo.

Training can make you grimace, but riding makes me smile. :clap
  7. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Typically, my non-RAGBRAI, normal bike touring speed is about 10mph on average including stops.

On RAGBRAI with the big dummy, it's 5mph (no, not kidding, that's why I never saw any of Team ADV :D).

Touring with special lady friend, it's somewhere in between there.

I'm not really a numbers guy, but that's about the magnitude of it.
  8. TheYeti

Oddometer:
    I'm not a numbers guy either, no computer on LHT I'm pulling those numbers based on my 40ish mile round trip to and from work. On tour it's probably a lot lower.

An open ended solo tour it might not be bad,I'd probably have to pull a trailer with the LHT and that would kill the avg anyway.

On the RAGBRAI trip what does that rig weigh about 300# ? you probably haven't weighed it. It's gotta be heavy with the coolers and what not.
  9. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Something like that...
    [​IMG]
    Mr Head likes this.
  10. TheYeti

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. You've weighed it. lol
  11. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    IT looks to me like you could spread out a solar charger on top of that cooler and add some electric toys. Tunes!:super:rilla
  13. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Jury is still out on solar chargers.... A few people ran them this year and didn't find them all that useful. 20 minutes with a Casey's outlet is far more productive.
    chippertheripper likes this.
  14. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    My brother had this little smartphone sized thing that worked great when pointed up. When hanging off my Fred-pak (TM) not so well.
    The wife and kids got me some folding contraption that is rated well two USB outputs. Seems OK in the back garden. I'll get to test it in November when I've levered some knobbies onto the 990 and ride out into the back of beyond for a bit.
  15. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    I have a smartphone sized battery pack with a solar jibber on top. It takes days to recharge itself from the sun.

Fully charged it's good for 2-3 iPhone charges from dead, if you use airplane mode to charge.
    Still, the $8 fan was my best ragbrai investment...next to the beer, of course.
  16. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Do they close the roads to motor vehicles along the RAGBRAI route, or do bicyclists not evoke murderous rage in Iowan drivers like we do on the east coast?
  17. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Some roads are closed, it appeared. Since Iowa is largely square, I think most in the area knew enough to go around if they were trying to actually get anything done.

It's a VERY different vibe than here in New England too, so that factors in.
  18. k7

k7 Almost retired..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Seems that we have several interested parties that might consider a 2018 Ragbrai. Hell, I might even sign up for another one then - I'll hit retirement just about that point in time. Might as well kick it off right!
    Mr Head likes this.
  19. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    I'd love to make it out for RAGBRAI next year. All of the pics and stories really make me want to go. Just way too much happening this year to do it.
  20. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    18 might be too soon for me. I'll have to see how it goes. You can place me in the 50-50 category.