2016 Sandblast Rally - Cheraw, SC

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Oct 8, 2015.

1. combustion cycles

combustion cycles Action Jansen

Oddometer:
    I'm in! But do I Transalp it or XR650R it? Can't decide
    OK wait what's the basic vs. deluxe options?
  2. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude run the Franken bike!
    Stagehand likes this.
  3. davesmyth

davesmyth Thrill Seeker

Oddometer:
    All,

I am signed up and running a 2010 Husaberg FE390 this year. I raced for the first time last year on a 2009 Suzuki DR650; I'm looking forward to shedding 110lbs of bike weight for 2016.

I attended BC's clinic last year, and will do it again this year. It puts you in the right mindset, and really helps develop critical sand riding skills.

I highly recommend wearing body armor that fits snug to your body, like the Acerbis Koerta. I assisted two riders who broke ribs and vertebrae last year, and I crashed twice. You can get hurt, so don't drop $2000 on exhaust and suspension and neglect adequate protection for yourself.

My question this year is gearing. The stock gearing on my FE390 is 13/52, and I have hit an indicated 93mph on hardball roads. Is that gearing okay, or is it worth switching to a 14t front sprocket?

Looking forward to seeing everyone this year!

-Dave
  4. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    Dave, the summary of my further discussion below: 14/52 vs 13/52 will probably yield more time in 5th vs 6th gear in the sand-covered roads, with a top speed of around 93 mph.

The statement above is based on my experience with a Suzuki DRZ400E at 2015 Sandblast. Prior to the competitiion, I was running DRZ400S stock street gearing of 15/44. GPS-confirmed top speed of 90mph on pavement.

At the rally, ran 15/41, didn't have the opportunity to check top speed prior to the event. With the DRZ's 5-speed, found myself in 4th gear in the sand a lot more than I would have liked. After the event, GPS confirmed 15/41 top speed of 90mph. Hmm, within a limited range of final gearing (which I think both you and I were and are in) seems engine power is the determining factor in top speed, instead of final drive gearing??

Went back to 15/44 for Magnum Opus and Black River stages, happy with that combo. I did talk with a DRZ rider at BRS running 14/44, he thought that allowed him to accelerate more quickly, yielding lower overall times. He was a bit quicker than me, so perhaps that argument was valid. Or perhaps he was a better rider through the turns . . .
  5. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Hey David! Will be good to see you again! The 390 will be quite a bit of fun!

My 450 is very similar to your 390 with a bit more grunt. I ran a bit higher gearing at sandblast last year (14:48) and couldn't pull 6th gear. It hit something like 89mph. I switched to 14:52 after that and hit something like 96 at magnum opus and 99 at BRS. I'll stick with that for sandblast too. I think you'd be fine with the 13t front, especially in the sand.
    headednw likes this.
  6. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    13/48 in my five turdy works just fine.

I think the 5 speeds are a bit more sensitive to final drive ratios.
  7. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Yeah, was a bit frustrating last year to be sitting on the limiter in 5th then shift up to 6th and lose speed!
  8. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    Im coming this year, I don't know if Ill race. Been a dream for two years
  9. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    Stick with what you have I changed mine before Opus and lost acceleration and didn't gain much top speed.....especially with the deeper sand corners the slightly lower gearing will help you get out of trouble after a bobble without a stall....seconds count!

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
  10. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    What are the navigation requirements? As far a loop map reader etc.? In gncc or harescramble the routes are marked, is it similar?
  11. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

grab a cup or pint and get all of your questions answered below.:1drink
    http://www.nasarallysport.com/d734/Rally-University
    http://www.nasarallysport.com/

To answer your questions in short...
    Once in stage no navigation is needed. The course is completely marked and closed off. Stages could be 3 minutes or 15 minutes long.

Navigation is needed between stages on the transfers. A ~2.5 inch roll chart and odometer is all that's needed.
  12. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A roll chart holder and some sort of odometer is needed for transit routing. Course marking is not like GNCC or hare scrambles. It's more like a parade route, get to an intersection and all route options other than the intended race route will be blocked off with caution tape.

Sometimes there is an arrow placed before an intersection but don't count on it. Arrows in the past have been painted perfectly to match the surroundings of pine bark and pine straw so they are hardly noticed. The placement has been suspect too.

The course is easy to follow as there are plenty of tracks.
  13. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    Thank you, very informative
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  14. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    I'll open the can....Whats the best tire and does it have to be DOT approved. From the youtube videos looks like a tight ratio between loose sand and hard pack. That guy on the 132 KTM looks very fast!
  15. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    DOT is not required. No paddles and no mousses.

Any soft type tire from any of the mfgers work.

I ran Duneloop Geomax AT81's at Magnum Opus, which is kind of sandy.
    Glov3r likes this.
  16. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Who wants to be the first to bitch about the no mousse rule? Any takers? It wouldn't be a proper discussion of Sandblast without it!

I have run s12s with good results for me.
  17. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    after the mousses, lets talk about 2-strokes.:1drink
    rainmaker8 likes this.
  18. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think I could get my 74 H1 rally ready!!!
  19. Clockwork KTM

Clockwork KTM Clockwork KTM

Oddometer:
    AT81 in the rear and MX32 on the front.
    Glov3r likes this.
  20. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If considering lobbying with Anders, the rule maker, as bitching then I'll be happy to. I have had many conversations trying to get them approved for motos and am happy to kick the conversation off again. The rule came from the car rules. Mousse for auto's are crazy expensive so the rule is primarily there to keep the sport affordable.

Mousses are not expensive for motorcycles. Plus a flat could take a motorcycle competitor completely out of contention. I think anyone running up front would keep moving on a flat until they finished the stage, both motorcycles and cars. But unlike cars, bikes don't carry a spare wheel nor do they have two people to change it. A rally moto competitor would be hard pressed to fix a flat and check into the next stage on time. Not a problem for the cars. Also not all flats are road side fixable.

There is no "on stage" performance advantage gained from running mousse. If anything it could be considered a dis advantage due to the extra weight. The cost of mousse is considerably less than a spare set of wheels and tires.

Riders put a lot of time, effort and money into prepping and participating in a Rallymoto event. What's the big deal if a rider wants a little extra failure prevention?

The rules have been amended more than once over the ten year course of Rallymoto so who knows what can happen. Speak up, you never know who is listening!