2016 Sandblast Rally - Cheraw, SC

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Oct 8, 2015.

1. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^
    BC, excellent points, all of them!

I had a rear (pinch) flat surface on the transit to the last stage at BRS this past September. It was pouring, I mean pouring rain, yet all of my biker compatriots chipped in with zip ties and help to keep that tire on during the stage and then the 20+ mile transit back to service and final time check.

I was lucky this happened on the last stage and my rally did not end right then and there, which would have been a major bummer as I drove a few hours just to compete. To say I was relieved to make it back was an understatement.

I've never used a mousse but had I had them in, this would have been a non issue.

I did have a spare set of wheels at camp.

Mousse in your hair and in your tires is fine by me.:1drink
  2. davesmyth

davesmyth Thrill Seeker

Oddometer:
    Hey, man! It will be good to see you, too! I wanted a little more top speed on the straights, but the lower speed advantage with a 13t in deep sand is more important. I'm not that fast, and I really just want to maintain a faster average speed than last year. I don't see that being a problem.

I'm getting my suspension re-sprung and re-valved at KTM World in Cedartown, GA. Can't wait to get the bike back and let 'er rip!

Regards,
    Dave
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I've been dreaming of things like Baja, Dakar, etc for long enough - I need to start drinking from the fire hose and just race. I hate sand and am a total disaster in it so this event seems ideal to overcome this weakness :)

...been traveling to the UK for two-week long work rotations with only one week back home in between so if I can figure out the timing and be home for two weeks surrounding this rally, I'm going to run it plus the clinic before if that's being held.

I hope this rally is newbie-friendly :)

What's the weather usually like around this time there?
  4. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    The only bad thing I think they could counter with is heat and them failing on pavement........it's not hot usually and we are running the speed limit on paved sections and they have come a long way, so heat is not an issue. They make bike do tons of silly things that are just easier for them than putting thought into it, triangles, first aid book and kit with band aides and antiseptic(if anything Israeli bandage and tourniquet). If you are concerned about safety how about zip tying spokes or safety wire them.....or require them to have a cell phone and give a laminated phone list.
    It to me seems that they really only half ass care about bikes because we bring a good amount of revenue to the event without much effort on there behalf.

I think they could really gain a ton of RallyMoto folks at all Rallies, not just this one, if they had a dedicated RallyMoto director(that actually has raced bikes in other series). As they say the devil is in the details and motos just seem like an after thought. If it wasn't for all the RallyMoto guys helping each other out I think it would be a nightmare for some folks new to racing. You can spend a bit more money and race in Baja for what doing a couple of these events cost and have someone to walk you through without belittling you when you need info.
    Just my 2 cents as to why I gave up on the series, its a shame because I did have fun but for me to spend that kind of money and travel so far just not worth it, I'll just take that money and go to Mexico and ride :beer
  5. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Valid concern but a non issue if running rally mousse. In 2012 I had over 800 road miles running at 70 mph on a single set without any issues.

Have we talked about this before? I mentioned the same thing to Anders. With EMT's 5-20 minutes away nothing more is needed than to be able to stop terminal bleeding. Anything else can be fixed later.
  6. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    It is newbie friendly. All the riders are more than helpful with the new guys. There's also a Nasa Rallysport new competitor orientation (NCO) prior to your first rally that you must attend. This will give you a tremendous amount of info, what to expect, and how-to's before your first rally.

As for sand, I'm no expert, but for me it's all about speed and/or gear. Once I'm in 3rd gear everything smooths out normal. Speeds below that and it's all swap city.:1drink

I'm sure BC (an expert) will get you on the right track.

Weather for us northerners is probably going to feel warm. Methinks 30's to 50's. It's spring there so rain happens.
  7. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    I agree with all of the points. Running mousses would just cut one more thing out of the event that the bike need to worry about...which goes a long way as most of us are running these events solo vs the crews the car guys have. The only thing that saved Dave with his pinch flat was that the stage was delayed that barely gave us enough time to get it ziptied to limp it home before start.

As you said Bill with regards to first aid, if a wreck is bad enough that the competitor needs the first aid kit, they aren't riding out of the stage on their bike...they're riding out in an ambulance. Priority should be on stopping major bleeding, and anything else with regards to fractures will be handled by the paramedics when they arrive. Any little cuts can be handled back at service.

The bike guys are a really great group that really take care of each other, and that is what holds the RallyMoto bit together. I think there's a ton of opportunity for a lot more revenue with the bikes if just a little bit more thought was placed into it. The Rally University and NCO covers some of the basics, but most of the learning on how to do stuff in the event comes from the other competitors. I think things like Bills class really go a long way to get newbys like myself up to speed quick which goes a long way to enjoying the event and getting competitive as quick as we can. It'ssaid in the NCO that the number of competitors that come back increases with the number of courses they go through up to the required 3...is there any info on how many students from your classes Bill continue their racing career?
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  8. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Last year was right around freezing when you get going in the morning. I think the highs were close to 70.
  9. johnson357

Oddometer:
    Yep I had Rally ones in my bike for 2013 Mex1000 and went 1260 miles without a problem and it was hot....but I'm not fast :) Plus I think they were in there for close to 2000k miles from the next owner of the bike. So it would be worth the investment too since you could get a season out of them no problem.

We may have and I sure I talked to Dave about it last year some too......They could stand to listen to guys like Dave that have had real world trauma experience.
    godwinmt likes this.
  10. davesmyth

davesmyth Thrill Seeker

Oddometer:
    I would add a Nasopharyngeal Tube for the airway (can be inserted while the helmet is still on) and latex gloves (protect you and the patient). Here are the contents of the Improved First Aid Kit (IFAK) that was developed by Special Forces Medics and later issued to every deploying Soldier. It is compact and addresses the essentials:

MOLLE Pouch
    Tourniquet
    Bandage Kit, Elastic (the Israeli)
    Bandage 1/2"
    Surgical Tape 2"
    Airway, Nasopharyngeal Tube
    Latex Gloves
    Dressing, Combat Gauze (impregnated with clotting agent like QuickClot)

A small kit like this could be carried on your backpack, belt, handlebars, etc. and is far more relevant to immediate trauma care.

Regards,
    Dave

P.S. You can leave a tourniquet in place for hours without risk of losing the limb - more than enough time to get you packaged up and transported to the ER.[/QUOTE]
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  11. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    There's your problem. You think there's a "they".

To be clear: this event has no paid staff. NASA Rally Sport also has no paid staff. No one is getting paid anywhere. It's all volunteer work.

Perhaps you think that the priorities of "the imagined they" are related to the numbers of racers of type X, or the dollars type X brings. Not the case. They are related to the number of VOLUNTEERS COMING FROM VEHICLE TYPE X. So if we have folks that are car guys who volunteer lots of year round, pre-event time, they accomplish work on car-related projects as they go. If we have folks that are bike guys who volunteer lots of year round, pre-event time, they accomplish work on bike-related projects as they go. Unfortunately, over nearly a decade, the number of riders who have volunteered, I can count them on two hands. Some quick math.... out of the approximate 3,000 volunteers over the time RallyMoto has been around, 10 or fewer have been bike guys.

Put in a hundred hours of volunteer time this year, become part of an event organizing team, become respected for the efforts you've put forward to further the sport, and you'll be part of the conversation about the future of rules. Because that's how everyone else making those decisions got where they are. The size of your voice is proportional to the volunteer work you've given to the sport.

There's only a "we". But you have to participate.

Anders

ps: your "without much effort" statement shows you don't understand how much work goes into the events, or how much bike-specific work is done. I'd like to request that if you ever are speaking with organizers or volunteers, you don't use a phrase like that, it would be insulting and disheartening to them.
  12. johnson357

Oddometer:
    I may not exactly know what goes into it but I've been racing for a while from GNCC's, AMA Dist 15, SCORE, NORRA. Plus I never questioned where the money goes but it's a good question. Because it's a lot of money for basically an Enduro. My point, and I shouldn't use "they" but I was trying not make it personal and just get the point that some fine tuning could be done. But I've never had anyone talk down and act as arrogant as you have when I've been to racing events. Mind you I've been to these events run by true racing superstars and they all treated people decent. Especially when asking basic questions that were not easily figured out in the maze of rules and regs I should read because I was too stupid and didn't read the car rules...... I'll just leave it at that.

You kind of make my point with your own statement above sounds bitter toward bikes guys because we don't volunteer enough or bring them with. Most have to come with little or no support so bringing people to work is part of the problem for us. Car guys also require lots of support that we don't and if some of there crew gets to stay for free by volunteering then that helps them. Maybe us bike guys just don't have friends that's why we compete in a solo type sport :)

I guess I should have made it more clear because my general rule is don't bitch with out resolution:
    -Have more consistency from race to race for motos....starting order, trophies, numbers.....attention to detail.....NASA charged a guy for numbers because his bike got stolen with his original numbers on it......they can't cost more than 3 bucks per bike
    -Do what you say you are going to do....i.e....no bike stickers.....of course it was printers fault at last years SB....but car guys got theirs and plenty of fluff stickers too ( I know sponsors etc.....but we all signed up months early)
    -Just be smarter about marketing..........sell shirts, stickers etc....2 races I tried to buy stuff to "support the sport" and you wouldn't sell me any unless they were made 3 years ago for a race I didn't attend.
    -Like I said early have a bike guy/girl "Moto" guy/girl to oversee moto racers .....example....route sheets at MO sent guys out with out complete sheets and if it had not been for bike guys taking care of each other would have spent race morning trying to put it together.....again printers fault not "they" or "you" but you sure were less than friendly when we had to come back to deal with it. I guess its our fault for not bringing volunteers.
    -The before mentioned kit that we are required to carry and school we have to go to.....only a small portion applies to bike racers.
    -I know you are involved with NORRA and you know scoring look into how they treat all racers or some other series all that I've seen fail or remain stagnant have had people like you as there head or mouthpiece
    -Bottom line if you want to charge premium money make it a premium event
    Happy New Year
  13. davesmyth

davesmyth Thrill Seeker

Oddometer:
    Anders,

Last year, at Sandblast 2015, you had a representative from a Canadian Rally organization who stated that his group was going to allow motorcycles to race for the first time in 2015. Did that ever happen? I have been searching the internet high and low for information on Canadian Rally Racing that allows motorcycles to compete, but no joy.

Thanks,
    Dave
  14. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave,

It did happen, here is a link to the thread.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...lymoto-comes-to-canada.1071538/#post-26961374
  15. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Il be makng the trip again, although I might be racing adventure style. As it stands right now I can actually ride casually, so we'll see what two more months brings :D

EDit: I meant the trip to Sandblast, but I mean the trip to Canada as well :D Saguenay is only 10 hours from here, Sandblast is about 12. MO is about 20. :-/

Lac Au Sable is not much farther than Black River- finally living in New York is paying off a little bit, lol! @
    rainmaker8 likes this.
  16. davesmyth

davesmyth Thrill Seeker

Oddometer:
    Stagehand,

I am a big fan of Canada, and would like to try to make it up to race this year. Any advice you can give on signing up, licensing, etc. is appreciated. I'm having a tough time navigating the French website, and can't seem to find a link in English.

Regards,
    Dave
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I would absolutely love if they ran this again. I haven't been able to recieve a confirm that they are running again this year. But I am signing up for my Canadian rally license, just in case!

EDIT: I just found out they are going to run bikes for Rally Saguenay AND Rally Lac Au Sable! THats July and August, I think. It might take me out of Magnum Opus, since Saguenay and MO are only a weekend apart, but also a thousand miles or so :D

http://www.couperallye.com/images/2016/présentation_CRQ_2016/CRQ-Saison-2016-151019-An.pdf

Lac Au Sable looks to have an asphalt component. Luckily, D606's work just as well on tarmac as they do in everthing else! (good or bad, depending on your point of view :D )

If I can elicit any more info I will be sure to pass it along.

Find Championnat de Rallye du Quebec on Facebook- they're pretty responsive as well
  18. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Yes, it did happen! :) That was Jean-Francios Guite. They did two tests at existing rallies, allowing motos. The tests were deemed a success, and my understanding is that the entire Quebec Rally Championship will allow moto in 2016. So that's another roughly five events up there. :ricky

It was the culmination of about 7 years of relationship building.

Anders
  19. Wannabe

Wannabe Rollin on my 5 0...

Oddometer:
    Does NASA plan to have more moto rallies besides the Sandblaster? The website is really poor in communicating when they have events that allow motorcycles, if any.
  20. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Thats really good news. I just sa Sanair was going to do a proof of concept as well- they are asphalt only.

What was the second one, aside from Rally Sag?