2016 Sandblast Rally - Cheraw, SC

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    There is BLack RIver in September, and Magnum Opus in July, currently. IM going to start a thread about the canadian rally series, tonight . First: Party time :D

ANders- is choosing the trophies still a real pain? I kind of want to make the moto trophies :D
    Wannabe likes this.
  2. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    for the record Magnum Opus is June 17-18. :1drink
    Stagehand likes this.
  3. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BC Moto Rally Racing Clinic is on!

Clinic registration and info: msreg.com/SandblastRallyClinic

BC Moto Rally Racing Clinic. Don't let the competition get a wheel on you. Come ride, learn and have fun! A comprehensive clinic giving tips and strategies on roll chart use, riding techniques, terrain reading, line selection, time keeping and practice, practice, practice!

The day will start with a brief "classroom session" followed with drills working on braking, cornering, riding techniques and conclude with plenty of practice on a simulated "rally stage" to put it all together. Whether you are a seasoned competitor, a novice rally racer, or maybe just interested in getting a taste of RallyMoto, this is a great chance to get accustomed to the sand while shaking off the cobwebs with tons of seat time. The class will utilize three sections of Sand Hills Forest roads unique to this clinic and are closed to the public. Rider safety is most important, while we encourage everyone to work on improving their skills and speed, this is a time to prepare for the race, not race day. Save the "little extra" for the Sandblast Rally!

Sign in starts at 8:00 AM, class will start at 8:30 AM and conclude at 5:00 PM with a break for lunch.

Participants will use their personal dual sport motorcycle and are responsible for their own fuel and lunch. The group will be going to a local restaurant or you are welcome to pack a sack lunch.

Space is limited, don't miss out!

Clinic registration and info: msreg.com/SandblastRallyClinic
  4. davesmyth

davesmyth Thrill Seeker

Oddometer:
    I'm all signed up for the BC clinic!
    BC61 likes this.
  5. She_Braaps

She_Braaps Flying Merkel

Oddometer:
    I am planning on signing up soon. Cant wait!
  6. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would love to enter and run this but have already comitted to an Enduro this weekend :(
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Well, as it stands, it looks like I'll be away in the UK for work for a two week period with the Sandblast weekend right in the middle of it - argh! I'm heading over there next week and will see what I can do about changing my travel schedule...
  8. Doug Mo

Doug Mo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, Anders has finally committed to enduring the event he created...... and he is going to be in the train without that stupid hat.... I need to rethink this as a participant, Big Bike ,don't see any real bikes entered, except for Ken and Jason, or Medium Bike or Classic bike. Best thing about Black River on the old BMW Bombers is no one thought they would finish one stage, Plus that was like real old time a enduro event__ the Bavarian bombers they did it and they were not slow..... My fanny pack kept my bike together for the entire two days...... If the Jet stream keeps on it's projected track this year could be an epic event. Plus nothing like fried chicken for breakfast.
    combustion cycles and Stagehand like this.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yummy...fried chicken with waffles and maple syrup for breakfast - jealous :)
  10. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    tentative plans are forming for a 3 bike team Cheesehead heading down. :dllama:
    AJ990R and Stagehand like this.
  11. combustion cycles

combustion cycles Action Jansen

Oddometer:
    After my frigid, sleepless experience camping last year (since when does a new 15 degree bag not keep you warm at 24 degrees???) I got a room at the Quality Inn/ Jameson Inn. But I noticed several of my fleabag favorite hotels seen to have gone out of biz since last year. I suggest reserving a room soon!
    Is there a poster or something I can put up in my shop before the event to try and attract volunteers?
  12. SB_Andrew

SB_Andrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Yes, a poster is being created. Should be complete in the next couple of weeks. I will post a link here once it has been completed.

Andrew
    Sandblast Organizer
  13. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    speaking of camping, any links or suggestions for what is available in the area?
  14. SB_Andrew

SB_Andrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Camping is available at the H. Cooper Black Recreation facility.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/hcb/introduction.aspx

The rally uses the roads around H. Cooper Black so we have to rent the entire facility for the day of the rally. That means camping on Saturday night is free!

We are also have to rent every horse stall and hunting dog kennel, etc, etc, so if you intend to bring your price winning stallion along it will have a free place to stay on Saturday night as well :D
  15. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

giddyyup :lol:

Is the HCB campground available for other nights?

TIA
  16. SB_Andrew

SB_Andrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

This is Andrew, I am the new organizer for Sandblast rally. You have a long list of valid concerns and improvements you would like to see to the event. While I cannot promise any major changes this year I am interested in working with the Rally Moto community to try and make the event successful. I will admit that I come from a car background, but the motos are racers the same as the cars.

This may not be the best forum to discuss this, due to the internet swallowing up inflection, tone, and nuance. Give me a call and I would be happy to talk it through with you. 864.735.5301

Thanks,

Andrew
    Sandblast Organizer
    keepshoveling likes this.
  17. SB_Andrew

SB_Andrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is but you will need to reserve it on your own. Just let them know you are with the rally and plan on staying Saturday night as well.

Andrew
    Sandblast Organizer
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  18. hp2joe

hp2joe Muddy Boxer

Oddometer:
    Official NASA NCO Class January 30th in South Windsor, CT

We are hosting Anders at MAX BMW Motorcycles in South Windsor, CT on January 30th for an official NCO class.
    This is open to anyone who needs it, or anyone who is curious about getting involved with Rally Racing as a competitor or volunteer.
    Especially anyone who is competing at Sandblast and still needs the NCO course. Already met your class quota? Come anyway... everyone can use a refresher and it will be a fun day.
    All vehicle classes are encouraged to attend!
    We will begin the class at 9:30 AM and it typically runs about 3hrs long.
    Following the class, we will have food - pizza or a barbeque.
    This is an all-day, Rally focused event and will also be a "Parc Expose" of sorts. Bring your race vehicle and show it off!
    We may have an afternoon speaker to talk about Rally and car competition and we are also working on having an official tech inspector present who could certify a new cage for example, or answer any questions about car/bike prep.
    Some of those aspects are still in the works, so stay tuned for updates.

Visit our event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/565111540313621/

All updates will be posted there.
    Any questions can be directed to Max Stratton or Joe Warner
    max.stratton@maxbmwmotorcyles.com
    joe@maxbmw.com
    Arete and Stagehand like this.
  19. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    I had a real problem getting anyone with an offroad background to tune my Berg PDS suspension for anything rally or even dual sport speed for me. I ended up installing Ohlins TTX front and rear and now my Berg570 is 95% as stable as my trusty BMW G450X with Ohlins TTX. So I hope you get some time in deep sand and at speed to make sure any tuning changes were for the better. I had a very reputable Berg suspension tune do my stock WP parts and it actually made it worse for sand/mud and high speed stability.

As for gearing, I'm pulling a 15/51 on the 570 pretty well but the stock 14/45 or whatever it was was definitely too tall for racing in 6th gear. These things seem to air out in the 90ish mph area and best I've pulled so far on packed sand since is 102 sustained, but it gets there really quickly!
  20. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    So I'll open the tire can of worms up...Anyone find anything new and exciting in the last year to try? If I'm remembering right, most people were on the S12 bandwagon. I believe BC was running some sort of Pirelli last year because of the softer sidewall?