2016 Sandblast Rally - Cheraw, SC

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Anders Green, Oct 8, 2015.

1. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Needs more power! The 690 is has 14/45 on it, and it will run 100+ sustained in the sand. I however will not run 100+ sustained in the sand! And thats not even the packed sand, us backmarkers don't have the luxury.

I'm officially out this year. Freaking doctors and their "advice". My wife has gotten wise and now goes to the doctor with me, so she heard him say, "no sandblast". She's already got us nice plans to attend some damn wedding. So, the best I can do is to follow along on here, and do my best to get a world class hangover on the open bar. At least the wedding is at a winery.
    seasider likes this.
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:

Crap! I went and got a first floor room just in case. I'm going the route of "not telling the doctor about sandblast"
    godwinmt likes this.
  3. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Maybe I need to re-consider. I'll go with "i'm going to volunteer route, and I just happen to be bringing a bike....."

I did the whole, what my doc doesn't know route 2 years ago, and I did fine. Maybe I am pushing my luck.
  4. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    tires? I have yet to try any of the Michelins. I was thinking of just going back to the Duneloop AT81's.
  5. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has your wife been chatting with mine!? One big crash and they get all bossey and shit! We shall bench race through the marvel of internet!:beer
  6. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    I've never been on the S12 bandwagon! haha Past two years I've been on the Bridgestone 102 Mud and Sand for the rear, works great in anything soft and pretty good on hard pack flat tracking but hooks up exceptionally well accelerating through the soft stuff while wearing pretty good too.
    godwinmt likes this.
  7. Some Dude

Oddometer:
    690 has a closer ratio trans than EXC/FE models which is odd since it's the true dual sport in their line up so consequently it's not apples to apples. The 15/51 is only really just over 2 rear teeth lower over all ratio than stock 690 as 1 front tooth is equal to 3-4 rear
  8. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    With close to 70hp, it doesn't really need a much lower ratio. It's honestly kinda stupid with unusable HP!
  9. Some Dude

Oddometer:
    point being my Berg 570 with taller 6th gear is probably at same overall ratio to a stock 690 now that I added a couple teeth to rear for higher final drive ratio and the 690 would benefit from a wider ratio trans even in a rally environment.
  10. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    No doubt, and the 570 is better at getting the power to the ground. The 690 is great at making noise and spinning tires.
    Some Dude likes this.
  11. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Are you running the 101 front then too to match? I was considering the IRC M5B on the rear and the Michelin Starcross5 soft up front this year. I was pretty happy with the Motoz S/T's last year, except for the rear's straight line grip.
  12. Some Dude

Oddometer:
    I really like the Pirelli MXMS 21" front, believe Conger has been running same tire too for past couple of years and ran the MXtra rear. Golden tire also has the same pattern front tire which might be my next front as we just became a dealer for them.
  13. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    now that's a knobby!
  14. Some Dude

Oddometer:
    That's much like the Maxxis Maxcross SM which was AWESOME in straight line sand acceleration or deep sand in general but absolutely sucked on the hard packed corners and don't dare get into any clay corners as it has no side bite. If you were on the gas you had a chance getting around slick corners but if you let engine brake at all the rear would flat track around faster than you could typically correct,...........ask me how I know! lol
    combustion cycles likes this.
  15. elasio

elasio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

Me and my buddy are considering registering to this rally.

We are both complete noobs to rallies, but have some mileage under our seats when it comes to Dual Sport rides and enduros. For example, the Pine Barrens 500 was an easy ride for us. We are both riding a 690 R.

We have a few questions about the Sand Blast Rally:

1. Is this rally a good one to start with? It will be our first rally.
    2. We do intend on getting that Rally Clinic workshop. I wonder if it will give us enough tools for navigating this rally.
    3. Even if we decide to go for it and attend this rally, we plan on taking it easy and be somewhat cautious. we'll not be riding 20 MPH but also not zip thru at 90 MPH. Is that something realistic on a rally platform?
    4. Anything else we should take into account?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
  16. seasider

Oddometer:
    It was my first rally at 46 years old and I cant recommend it enough. Plain good fun with awesome fellow riders all to willing to help. Go and ride your comfort zone and it will be a favorite for years to come.
  17. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I'm out this year. Lots of competing demands, Cdn dollar in the tank, and an opportunity to go back up to the Far North to do some work on the James Bay. I'll greatly miss what has come to feel like an annual start-of-the-year tradition. Maybe 2017...
    seasider likes this.
  18. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Yes :-) commit, and show up and the rest will take care of itself.
  19. seasider

Oddometer:
    I hope to ride again too next year Dan. Vacation scheduled with my wife conflicting this year......her plan!
  20. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    any nasa rally is a good one to start. as mentioned, all of the riders along with the car guys are very helpful.

If you haven't already, start at the links below.
    http://www.nasarallysport.com/

Read and study this top to bottom and you'll be as ready as anyone.
    http://www.nasarallysport.com/d734/Rally-University