2016 Sportster Roadster

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by VicRattlehead, Apr 15, 2016.

1. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If only....
    Was nosing around and stumbled across this on a HD forum. Somebody turned this up from a French site (dealer maybe?) and my heart skipped a beat when I saw it. That bike is SO BEAUTIFUL and could so easily be offered by HD (I believe this one is an 'accessorized' offering). It's got all the classic lines of a Sportster but inverted forks, decent length shocks and triple discs. A new 'Roadster' offered like this would be SOOOO hard for me to resist. Sure the tanks a little small and there's no place for 800 liter panniers and a top case big enough to store a second bike :lol3, but man she's a looker and should make a great streetbike.
    [​IMG]
    wheelspin63, Kiba, jersey jim and 4 others like this.
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I wish! We'll never see anything like that from HD in the states ever again. I think they learned their lesson with the XR1200 -- tons of people say "BRING IT HERE I'LL BUY IT" then nobody actually buys it.
    Bar None, fastdadio and BadKarma like this.
  3. merc16

merc16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice !!!
  4. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    Give me at least 3.5 gallons and I'd be down for one.
  5. Charleston

Charleston Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It could come to the US. This just won the latest HD custom Sportster contest, so there must now be interest in bikes with suspension

5603_New-Berlin_XL883L_R_1227729-584x389.jpg
    http://www.h-d.com/CustomKings
    johnwesley, Xeroo, mrbreeze and 7 others like this.
  6. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see anything there that wouldn't be too hard to build for yourself. Plenty of people have put USD's and longer shocks on a Sportster.

It would be neat if HD went and build a full on Thruxton R competitor though. 17" wheels, tubeless radial sport tires, top shelf brakes and suspension, and under 500 lbs. Leave the styling sportster-esque, don't make it ugly, and they'd sell a fair few I think.
    pilot47 likes this.
  7. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd buy the shit out of that in 1200cc flavor.

-Jake
    Buzztail likes this.
  8. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, if I were in the market for a new bike, which I'm not.
  9. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Oh man, that's nice! Put the 1200 jugs on it and an 18/21 wheel combo with a high fender and some TKC80s.... Whooohoooo
  10. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 883R,is still for sale in the UK,not like the Bike in the pic,but as a standard Roadster.
  11. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Just think of the Sportster as a blank canvas. The short shocks are enough to get it home or load it into your low roof van. Same with the front forks and brakes. Don't like them, put something new on. Anyone wishing Harley would release the bike of their dreams exactly as they want it from the factory hasn't seen the accessory catalog.

You could take the above pic to just about any Harley dealership or custom bike shop and they could build that very bike for you if you didn't want to do it yourself.
    d2wing likes this.
  12. Charleston

Charleston Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point, I think that the rules of the Custom Kings competition was that the bikes had to be built from parts from their parts catalog
  13. VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The xr1200 was too much 'sporty standard' and in that class it was grossly underpowered and overweight compared to any rival you could name.
    I feel like the bike pictured fits perfectly into the 'retro standard' class that's currently hot. It's so easy to picture that bike going head to head with the likes of the 1200 Bonnie, cb1000 or the bolt r-spec and holding it's own VERY well where as the current offerings have so many styling-driven compromises it tends to fall to the back of the pack.

$10,000 +/- is an AWFULLY expensive 'canvas' (1200 sporty's start in that neighborhood). A person could easily be 13-15 grand into creating the bike pictured and would have no warrantee left to boot. A factory built offering could be priced in the 11-12 range and be fully backed.
    A used bike could be created for much less but you'll waste a good deal of time/money undoing the PO's tasteless mods and you'll still not have a 'new' bike.
    Jim K., Nicksta43 and George Hanson like this.
  14. Brandnewrider

Brandnewrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like it.
    The only other thing that would be on my wish list are modern 17" radial tires.

I think the xr1200 would have sold better if it looked more like this
    the kawasaki kid likes this.
  15. George Hanson

Oddometer:
    +1. For 10k, the bike should at the very least be rideable off the showroom floor, which the current lowered Sportsters are not.
  16. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    That Sporty was built by Hal's HD in the Milwaukee area. Excellent dealer with a superb shop. In local media they claim the mods were made with all off-the-shelf parts. Still spendy, though.
  17. chickenhawk71

chickenhawk71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure are alot of em on the road stock to not be ridable.
  18. George Hanson

Oddometer:
    A bike that scrapes taking an intersection turn at a normal speed is not rideable to me. Things might be different if you live in Florida.
  19. chickenhawk71

Oddometer:
    A stock 883 iron list for around 9800 on cycle trader if you think the would or could built that bike for 11 or 12 grand your dreaming.
    bobw likes this.
  20. chickenhawk71

Oddometer:
    Well I live in the foothills of NC and I lived through 2 of them and if you drag one going through a intersection you were doing something wrong.