2016 TAT, Solo, Ocean to Ocean, Plan vs. Actual, Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KenCM, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!! :clap:rofl
    Thanks.
  2. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on picking the bike up! Great RR:clap
  3. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl Ken, two years ago on my first attempt I had all my stuff packed several days before departure but not on the bike. When I packed the bike right before I was to leave, (my KTM 990) I found it was heavy enough to weight it "over center". When I put it on the kick stand the bike fell over the opp. side! What an incredible oversight! Couple days later with a rain delay and I bought a large bolt, two nuts, took the kickstand to a local garage and had them cut/weld the bolt and had an adjustable stand. I also beefed up the suspension after that failed trip.:-)
  4. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    I'm certainly no expert on packing but have a fair amount of experience with FALLING. I've found that with my Gobis, which add about 20# vs soft luggage, the bike doesn't fall as far down and in addition to protecting my gear better, it's actually easier to pick up. Maybe someday I can go light but I like my "Stuff". With the bugs I've had in my Montana I still carry my old 60CSX for backup. The one good thing that SAM does is put his "black line" in short segments so it will work on old GPS devices. Keven does a superior job on his package but you must use a modern GPS. BTW, WATCHOUT FOR THE LATEST MICROSOFT UPDATE. I spent 3hrs, 39min on the phone with Garmin a few days ago, eventually with us to discover that the latest update to DOT Net 4.7 kills everything. Basecamp would not boot more than 1-2seconds and system restore would not work. Now that's with me running Windows 7. Don't know about later systems.
  5. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Please do the prep thread! I've still got 3 weeks to pack.
  6. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'm on it!
  8. Bsanders

Bsanders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow Ken!
    After meeting you in Ashville this past weekend, @Kilmern brought this thread to my attention. I recall beginning to read it months ago and dismissed it as ratings of lunatic pack mule. Read it beginning to end and now see it for the brilliance of its wisdom. Very cool.
  9. IFriedman

IFriedman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hoping (optimistically) to get a response to this.
    You mentioned a few times your desire to cut down the amount of time it took you for future rides.
    I can only assume doing this ride in say, 2 weeks, means seriously sacrificing many parts of the route.
    Or am I wildly mistaken.
  10. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. We tried to do this ride in 12 days (unsuccessfully) but did not deviate from the route - there's a thread here about that attempt. On a small device as we are riding the Hatfield McCoy trails so not taking the time to find it and crosslink but shouldn't be hard to find.
    I am convinced it can be done in 2 weeks if the weather cooperates.
  11. IFriedman

IFriedman n00b

Oddometer:
    I feel bad posting questions who's answers I later found on my own. I saw and read the entire thread in one sitting. Mud was your greatest foe. I guess with better conditions two weeks could be possible.
    I also read Jenny Morgan's thread and I feel a 500cc bike is my sweet spot. Truly 50/50 considering you include certain modifications.