2016 Thruxton

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by frytown, Oct 27, 2015.

1. VaderSS

VaderSS Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer:
    I got a translation from a friend of someone on another forum;

Quote:
    I sent the link you posted to a girl I know in Germany. Here's what she said his comments were (you'll have to allow for the fact that its not a perfect translation; and for example I know its not going to be faster at a track than an R6 of course; the point he made is probably something about drive out of corners).

Triumph Thruxton R - 2016 Race Track Test | Pannoniaring (in Austria)

He was not happy at the beginning because there was a lot of traffic at the race track.

He was not so happy with the brakes, he will check it after the test again. There is something not ok with the break pump.
    The motor is perfect, better than expected, same with the gear
    The footrests are a little bit too long for extreme curves. The sloping position is not good for every race track, there is a danger to get at the ground with the exhaust and maybe damage something.

You may move on the seat quite good, but the seat is too broad at the rear and the rear-vision mirrors are a little bit disturbing during race.

The anti-lock braking system may be switched off very easily, also the traction control. Same for the drive modes (road, sport, rain). Both is easy to switch on or off in some seconds only. The motor is very elastic, therefore you do not realize / recognize the traction control if activated.

He did not race extreme, because the bike is more for cruising than for racing. But even if the bike is very easy and smooth to handle on the normal street, at the race track it also was very good handling. This was a positive surprise for the tester. But you have to be more concentrated.

The tires are road tires but a good compromise for the race track. The motor need 6 liters in race mode.
    The bike was faster than the R6 for example, especially after curves.

All in all a wonderful experience, not for professional racing but for some fun on the track very good.
  2. Graemsay

Graemsay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a chat to a man from Triumph Australia last week, and he said that accessory availability had been messed up by QA issues. It sounds like the suppliers didn't come through with products that met Triumph's standards.

I got the impression that things are moving again, and parts are starting to come through, but it'll probably be August or September before they arrive in quantity.

Incidentally, he also reckoned that the quick shifter might not be a good idea. They cause more wear on the gearbox, which means cogs need to be replaced more frequently.

As for tracking a Thruxton, there's a piece at Cycle World on an R nine T Racer. The bikes aren't that far away from each other in terms of specifications, so I suspect that the Trumpet will be fine. Especially with the hotter cam...
  3. Max L

Max L Duct Tape

Oddometer:
    Saw Thruxton R Red very nice very detailed.
    See standard Thruxton next.
    What a great line up Triumph on target marketing

Rennstrecken 2016 test" clearly says " Caferacer .Naked , Fun, OldsCool , Handling, Flat track, Mode button", and, more. Great film and, sound of bike , want one . . .
  4. X15DRIVER

X15DRIVER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I just found out that my fairing is coming in will have it installed on the 20th, with the V&H cans DB canceled and tail tidy /led turn sn. can not wait will post pics asap. GET WHAT YOU WANT!!
  5. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for anybody with a ThruxtonR, installed new tires today,went from the Rosso's to Dunlop Q3's. But encountered a problem, it seems the Dunlops are a half inch wider then the stock tires. Which is funny because they are both 160/60/17. But it created a problem because the stock tire to chain clearance is only about 1/2 inch,so I ended with no clearance and by the time I noticed had shaved the edge of my tire. Had to adjust the left side adjuster out a bit more to gain some clearance. So beware buying new tires,they are not all the same size.

I'm not sure why Triumph did not build in more clearance between the chain and tire.
  6. Graemsay

Oddometer:
    Triumph have decided that the Thruxton isn't fast enough, and so have bolted superchargers onto a couple of bikes for the sprints at Glemseck 101. Power has been bumped up to around 140 bhp, with torque at 157 Nm.

The black bike uses a modified Speed Triple flyscreen.

[​IMG]

Whilst the white bike uses a Daytona fairing and seat unit.

[​IMG]

More details and pictures can be found at MCN. So who else wants a blower kit for their Thruxton? :deal
  7. oranges3

oranges3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THE original factory cafe racer from Triumph... 20160904_095856.jpg
    JHG67, Roadscum and davyjones like this.
  8. Lambo

Lambo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suspension Adjustments,

This bike is pretty brilliant overall and seems to do everything well. Being someone that is always looking to improve life I have slid the forks up into the T-clamps. As the bike turns in well in the stock position but always felt just a bit heavy I tried sliding the forks up 1/8" at a time. At each position the bike just felt better, a bit lighter but still rock solid. I am now at 1/2" up from stock and it feels great so I will leave it there for a while.

I do not think this needs to be done but if you are looking for an excuse to play around with your bike 3/8" is a good place to start. YMMV and have fun.
  9. Graemsay

Oddometer:
    I took part in the Distinguished Gentleman's ride today, and I saw a Thruxton with the pillion friendly saddle installed. It looks pretty good, but would be an awful lot better with a tail tidy.

[​IMG]

My bike, which is so stock it still has the running in sticker attached, is the black one, below.

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  10. VaderSS

Oddometer:
    Just got word from Triumph Aftersales Support that the Performance Race Kit for the Thruxton R will not be released, "due to commercial reasons." I'm wondering if it was due to H-D getting nailed for selling tuners.
  11. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Sounds likely.
  12. VaderSS

Oddometer:
    I agree. I'm not planning to do any performance mods. It has more power than I can use on the street effectively anyway. I was interested in seeing what the race kit would do though.

And then there is the seeming ease with which Triumph decides not to provide accessories it had trumpeted during the launch. Has a bit of bait and switch quality to it.
  13. Graemsay

Oddometer:
    I was chatting to someone who worked for Triumph Australia until a couple of weeks back, and he said that the performance accessories had been pulled from the market. Sounds like a worldwide thing.

He said that the EPA often take a lead in these matters, and then other governments pick up on it. So you might see the Europeans bringing similar cases next.

To be fair motorcycle manufacturers have been pushing it for years. Go into a dealership, and there'll be a stack of "off road" exhaust systems that end up on the street. Ducati are probably one of the worst offenders.

His opinion was that you're not going to see "race parts" from Triumph in the near future, and any tuning will have to be third party. I wonder if that means we'll get a slightly arm's length arrangement, such as a separate Triumph Racing or Screaming Eagle corporation, which would provide the mothership with some legal protection.
  14. Graemsay

Oddometer:
    As for the race performance, my source mentioned that some of the test mules were seeing 125 to 135 bhp. That's a bit of a step up from standard...
  15. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dealer confirmed that the Quickshifter won't be an option for the Thruxton R, even though if it was in the list of accessories from the beginning.

Bah, not important, I'm having so much fun with this bike anyway ! I found myself laughing out loud in my helmet last Sunday, giving full throttle on Sport mode and trying to hang to it ! This bike has all the necessary real world power you'll ever need on the Streets, has a very good handling and has the looks to match. Don't buy it if you're shy, as you'll have people coming to talk to you about it everywhere you go...

I don't mind the hard suspension on the R, in fact I find it very confortable even for 4 hours at a time, more so than my Sprint GT.
  16. VaderSS

Oddometer:
    I received confirmation from aftersales support that none of the parts in the Perormance Race kit will be available.

The nice thing about the R suspension is that its adjustable, so it does not have to be hard unless one desires that. I have mine set to Comfort and its both comfortable and composed.

I also leave mine set to Rain mode as it still offers full power, but helps make throttle movements be very smooth as I power out of curves.
  17. Graemsay

Oddometer:
    Peter Stevens in Geelong have a green Thruxton R (yes, I know that's not standard) with the fairing fitted. I found that the lower bars fitted were actually more comfortable than standard, as they're shifted forward a few inches. It feels more spacious that way.

[​IMG]

The bike also had a tail tidy fitted, which cleans up the back end a lot.

[​IMG]

There was a Bonneville parked outside with the flyscreen. Whilst this is a cheaper option, it's also almost vertical. I think that the fairing looks better.

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  18. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BRG seems like a totally appropriate color (colour). Surprised Triumph doesn't offer it.
  19. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That BRG ThruxR is absolutely gorgeous! (I'm not sure the wasp tail is an improvement 'tho) I'd actually ride a few miles just to look at that one. Unfortunately, I suspect that "Geelong" may be a few miles farther away from Connecticut than I can do in a weekend. :-)
  20. guzzibloke

guzzibloke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a Brit, so believe me, I have no axe to grind.
    I love the look of the new Thruxton, but I have an issue with the fact that it's made (along with all the other small twins), in Thailand.
    Now I know what you're going to say.
    Most bikes are now made outside their country of origin, and that's true, but if I'm buying a Honda for example, I do not care, because I'm buying a bike firstly and foremost.
    I don't buy a Honda to wave the Japanese flag.
    However when someone is trying to sell me a bike, using history, and heritage as a marketing tool, I expect the bike to at least be assembled in the UK.
    The fact that my new Triumph will arrive not having had so much as headlamp bulb installed in the UK, is a problem for me.
    The Triumph Thruxton is about as British as an Indian Royal Enfield.
    If that doesn't bother you, then fine.
    I'm sure it's a great bike, but to qualify as British, a bike has to be at least assembled in it's country of origin, as well as designed in it.
    Personally, I'd go for a Norton.
    Not 100% British,
    Many components are sourced from outside the UK, but at least it's built here, and the base model isn't that much more expensive than a Thruxton.
    [​IMG]
    davyjones, Desce, jwoods986 and 6 others like this.