2016 Tour de France ** alerte spoil **

Discussion in 'Sports' started by enduro0125, Jun 13, 2016.

1. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    What's the video quality like compared to your Dish? Noticeably worse?
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I can't really compare. I have it hooked into an older 720p TV-- one that I've never been impressed with its quality even with the best of sources.
  3. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    Congrats to all jersey winners.

If Sagan had just been able to get those last few strokes of power to the ground, the stage may have had a different outcome.
    enduro0125 and shrineclown like this.
  4. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sagan would have had it if he'd started just a couple seconds earlier. Not that timing it right is easy....

My favorite parts of the race were Froome attacking with Sagan on that flat stage, Froome's attack and win on the descent, and the winner of stage 20 absolutely flying down the wet descent to win.
  5. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    happens every tour. I burned out about last Wednesday. Still have 4 stages to watch on the DVR. Damn. My favorite 3 weeks of the year are over. Not much to look forward to unless I figure out how to watch the vuelta on kodi.
  6. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the topic of cord cutting, we cut our cable feed about 6 weeks ago..and the land line.
    It's more difficult to get NBC sports in Canada due to geo-blocking. We have a Roku and downloaded some XBMC/Kodi something to the PC as as experiment. Somewhat useful, but the title of a lot of the videos are basically spoilers for what is in it, so it kinda dulls the experience. So we ended up paying 25/month for a really crap Sportsnet app on the PC. That will be getting cancelled now that the tour is over.

The tour doesn't do it for me anymore...I'm now a classics guy, so I need to start thinking about the next spring!
  7. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, I still find it entertaining, daring, and spectacular in many ways. There are few things like it and other than the ASO's other big event, nothing that compares to it. Difficult, demanding on both body and spirit, extreme physical challenge for days on end.

What more could you possibly be looking for?
  8. Maritimer

Oddometer:
    I should probably clarify that last post, as it was getting late when I wrote it. Looking back to when I was a kid in the 80s, I sought out any snippet of information on the TdF and organized my weekend around the 30 or 60 minute recap on on Sunday afternoon on CBC Sports. Looking for names like Steve Bauer among the usual suspects of Hinault, Fignon and LeMond. It was the only televised cycling coverage we got all year long. I've been a fan of professional cycling my whole life and have gone from zero coverage to the embarrassment of riches we have available to us.

Sportsnet, in Canada, really stepped up the last few years and provided live and/or same day of a large portion of the World Tour calendar as well as cyclocross, MTB and women's WT. The coverage varies from year to year, but it's pretty good and often picks up the Eurosport feed for the spring classics, which is generally excellent. Now we find ourselves (Mrs Maritimer is a rider and a fan as well) without a cable feed and DVR and it's making the process more difficult. And frustrating because we are in a position to pay for content, but are geo-blocked from the good stuff, or limited to live streaming, or sketchy pirate feeds.

I guess my point is, I've seen the best and worst of cycling coverage in the last 30 years, I know what I like and just want to watch what I want - when I want to. Maybe that's asking too much. The TdF is fine. The scenery and imagery are awesome. I found it, as did others, surprising in a good way that it was Froome and Sky that did the most animating of the race and I was really disappointed that the rivals choose not to (or were unable) to attack in the final days. Bardet was the most entertaining and courageous when it came down to the end, but the commentators (P&P) generally downplayed the significance of his attack because they were so focused on the Quintana/Porte/Froome drama that never materialized. Seriously, I waited for 2 weeks for Quintana to do something...anything. Tinkoff, Movistar and BMC all knew what they were up against and could not compete. It's a sad commentary on the inequality of the pro peleton right now that even the top tier teams cannot compete with the #1 team.

Anyway, rambling a bit. Time to go to work.
  9. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    I know it is tradition, but I really hate the last day. Like an auto race finishing under a planned yellow flag.
  10. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    One of the twitter guys I've followed is more than a little sure that Sky has some "help"-- too good too consistent, no fall off.

I have said before I'm a TdF follower, not a cycling. Is it that their team has so many strong names? It seems odd to me on the major ascents late in the race that Froome will still have 5 guys around him. One or two, I can see... but 5 or more?????
    chasbo and cogitate like this.
  11. Maritimer

Oddometer:
    In my mind it's budgetary. While they are not made publicly available, it's widely accepted that Sky's budget is somewhere in the $35M range, with the closest competitors about $8-10M less and a 'typical' WT team in the $12-18M range. One of the Pro Continental wildcard teams this year (Fortuneo-Vital Concept) was expected to be the $3.5M range.

Money buys talent, resources and some argue - access and influence. It buys the best coaches, the best nutrition, the best recovery, wind tunnel testing, you name it. It buys high altitude training camps in Mallorca and Tenerife. I'm not suggesting anything untoward is happening. There's already a ton of speculation in that arena and I won't add to that.

Sky is the NY Yankees of pro cycling. Until there is a budget cap in pro cycling, the inequality will be manifested in TdFs like this year
    Ridge and Jurgen like this.
  12. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of the time by the end it just Wout Poels with Froome (although the final Alps stage did find Froome with 4-5 others the whole time, of course no contender actually attacked in the bad weather so the pace wasn't too hard). Poels should become a GC man himself -- he looked very strong. The other thing with Sky is that they are well-managed and well-drilled. Froome crashed on stage 19, a teammate is right there with a bike. Mollema - then in second - crashed and no teammates ever provided any assistance.

Quintana was a big disappointment. He spent three weeks sitting on Froome's rear wheel. He seriously tried maybe one time to get away from the other contenders. If it wasn't for bad luck to others (especially Richie Porte), Quintana wouldn't even have made the podium. Movistar would have been better to support Valverde -- he looked strong and burned a lot of energy on Quintana's behalf and still finished in the top ten.
    YakSpout likes this.
  13. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    I can't recall specific days-- but definitely in the last two in the Alps-- it is a group with the GC contenders. "The Heads of State", maybe one or two guys from other teams---and 5 Sky riders. Smells funny to me. :dunno

I partially buy the money argument, but nutrition is nutrition, training is training. Tons are known, but it isn't secret sauce. Yes, Mollema's team failed him, but in my mind he was a really strong rider on a weak team. Movistar, Astana and BMC all have plenty of fire power. This isn't F1 where it is 80% car and 20% driver (30% driver if it is Alonzo) it is the guys pedaling away doing the work. I can see a Super Domestique leaving and being The Guy on another team. That goes back ages-- would have been LeMond if he'd left his team. Is Porte now. So, maybe Poels is there. But the rest of the guys?

Though they didn't get the Yellow Helmets, I think the team of this year was Tinkoff-- Sagan, Majka and Kreuziger always fighting. I also liked that Astana at least tried to do something near the end.

BMC-- next year "Tejay you won't be co-leader. You are their to support Porte... so on more stages early you need to rest. We'll try to get you a stage win, but overall your job is to support Porte."

I agree re Valverde. He had more moxie than Quintana.

I will also be pulling for T. deGendt (sp?) in future races. Another guy that was always in the thick of things.
  14. Green Stainz

Green Stainz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tejay was a disappointment. Last year he abandoned tour and this year he was a dud. Karma maybe. I'd rather see someone like that fight and struggle all the way to the end and come in dead fucking last then just to quit.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    It's a real shame that any sustained success in bicycling today immediately leads to accusations of doping. What a legacy the sport has created for itself.
    Green Stainz likes this.
  16. Green Stainz

Green Stainz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the mechanical doping allegations to come forward
  17. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    IIRC, wasn't he injured last year? Or at least claimed to be?
  18. Green Stainz

Green Stainz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly he was sick
  19. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Well, it is embarrassing to have poop running down your leg and flying off on the peloton, say nothing of the angered and gagging competitors.
  20. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember what year it was (1989 maybe), but in Paul Kimmage's awesome book, he tells the story of LeMond going by him, surrounded by his team and suffering a bout of diarrhea with it running down his legs. He want on to win that year iirc.